THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum Dealer issues

09-16-2014, 09:42 PM   #1
hoppy6698
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: M235i, Estoril Blue on Black

Question Dealer issues

Okay, so a bit of drama in attempting to purchase a M235i.

Short version:
I placed the order for my M235i on 1 Sep. On 12 Sep, the order hits production and BMWUSA updates with the production order.

Issue 1: This version has a manual and I ordered an automatic.

Dealer has to cancel the order (VIN is already assigned and cannot be altered), and order a new one. Back to square one. Delivery delayed 1-2 weeks additional. New order placed, supposedly the true order.

Issue 2: New purchase order shows the wrong vehicle on BMWUSA.

I ordered an EB M235, BMW shows this vehicle as a Mineral Grey M235i Xdrive. Dealer tells me to ignore that (because they have such a great record so far?). Today they gave me the assigned VIN, but BMWUSA won't accept the VIN given for details. Oh, and the car still shows at a M235i Xdrive, MG.

Issue 3: Attempts to get quotes on LSD installed at port or dealer.

Since my first visit to the dealer, I have asked repeatedly for the cost of the LSD installed. At the dealer, I was quoted $3450 at port. Over emails since then, $3450 is still the answer ... until today. Today, the agent says that the $3450 port install is indeed NOT the total, as it does not include taxes. The taxes they planned to include in the total cost of the vehicle - adding about another $310. I'm not sure how the average US citizen interprets "what is the total cost?", but I am fairly certain most of us think this is the same as "what is the total of all costs involved including taxes."

At what point do I need to speak to the GM to resolve the revolving door of lies or misdirection I am getting? Looking for any help here.

Seriously peeved and annoyed at the moment with my first ordered vehicle.
      09-16-2014, 09:52 PM   #2
pikcachu
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i (F22 Red angel)

1) they screwed up
2) is normal cause they actually have to assign colors for the car as soon as they get the allocation so what it shows it won't match right away...only after a while it will get updated
3) usually all prices are + taxes.... base price is 44k + tax also

btw... what dealer is this.... fife, seattle or bellevue ?
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2014, 09:58 PM   #3
hyperzulu
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235i

BMWNA has a phone number you can call to verify stuff like this. Think the car is misconfigured? Call and ask...
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2014, 10:00 PM   #4
Sportstick
Major General
Rep
Drives: '15 228i and '24 X3 sDrive30i

Not taking sides, but it might be easier for you if you actually paid less attention now while they work it out. You have a sales order which specs the car as you ordered it. The dealer knows that is what they have to deliver, and the intricacies of managing the gateline and order firming process can be mysterious if you haven't had the chance to work inside a car company. The dealer wants a successful delivery, as that's his shortest line to money. So, let the process roll on and try not to drive yourself crazy checking all the time!

As to the price, they have a price for the feature, and then the U.S. has fifty states, each with their own state and city sales tax structures. For BMW, they can only quote the price of the actual sale, and you need to then take into account where you live and your local taxation.

You will get the car you wanted.....relax!!
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2014, 10:57 PM   #5
dave235
Private
Rep
Drives: m235i on order

Just a quick question, are allocations the same for i and xi. I thought they were separate allocations
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2014, 11:00 PM   #6
Sportstick
Major General
Rep
Drives: '15 228i and '24 X3 sDrive30i

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave235 View Post
Just a quick question, are allocations the same for i and xi. I thought they were separate allocations
The allocations may be separate, but the ability of the plant to convert a wholesale inventory order for an X drive to produce a retail sold order for a rear wheel drive unit may override that limitation, depending on whether the order has reached firm status or not (parts broadcast already in process).
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2014, 04:39 AM   #7
xxxHolic
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235i Xdrive

I would continue to be patient and just keep a nice record of what you think went wrong, and where it went wrong. I know the first mistake has your nervous, but I don't believe your dealer would get it wrong twice, on purpose. I can understand your frustration and if you're not happy when it's all said and done, you have the option to walk away from the car.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2014, 07:31 AM   #8
e90post_user
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2C

I am not sure what the process with your dealer, but when I placed the orders with my dealer, before the CA submits the order he sends me the build sheet and have me sign it, and send it back. So both of us have a record on what is being ordered.
The mistakes, however, happen - I ordered my car with a brushed aluminum trim and black gloss highlights (the order and build sheet indicated the correct trim option, etc.), but I got the car with a hexagon trim with blue highlight (and I actually like it that way).
I hope you work your issues out with your dealer, and you get your car soon enough properly configured.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2014, 08:46 AM   #9
///MCFC
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyperzulu View Post
BMWNA has a phone number you can call to verify stuff like this. Think the car is misconfigured? Call and ask...
not always. the reps I spoke to claimed that they did not have access to build info and advised me to check with the CA.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2014, 09:41 AM   #10
iamcam
Rep

My car also showed the wrong color at the beginning on the My BMW page, but is now correct. This shouldn't concern you as others have said. If it still shows the wrong color when it hits production then you should sound the alarm. It sounds like they made an honest mistake and corrected it quickly regarding the transmission. Any further drama at this point is coming from your side :-)
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2014, 12:52 PM   #11
mteele
Private First Class
Rep

I had the same thing happen with my car when I first tried entering the VIN on bmwusa, so I would wait another 24-48 hours and try it again
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2014, 12:59 PM   #12
kerm1t
Captain
Rep
Drives: 17 M3 ZCP Stage 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoppy6698 View Post
Okay, so a bit of drama in attempting to purchase a M235i.

Short version:
I placed the order for my M235i on 1 Sep. On 12 Sep, the order hits production and BMWUSA updates with the production order.

Issue 1: This version has a manual and I ordered an automatic.

Dealer has to cancel the order (VIN is already assigned and cannot be altered), and order a new one. Back to square one. Delivery delayed 1-2 weeks additional. New order placed, supposedly the true order.

Issue 2: New purchase order shows the wrong vehicle on BMWUSA.

I ordered an EB M235, BMW shows this vehicle as a Mineral Grey M235i Xdrive. Dealer tells me to ignore that (because they have such a great record so far?). Today they gave me the assigned VIN, but BMWUSA won't accept the VIN given for details. Oh, and the car still shows at a M235i Xdrive, MG.

Issue 3: Attempts to get quotes on LSD installed at port or dealer.

Since my first visit to the dealer, I have asked repeatedly for the cost of the LSD installed. At the dealer, I was quoted $3450 at port. Over emails since then, $3450 is still the answer ... until today. Today, the agent says that the $3450 port install is indeed NOT the total, as it does not include taxes. The taxes they planned to include in the total cost of the vehicle - adding about another $310. I'm not sure how the average US citizen interprets "what is the total cost?", but I am fairly certain most of us think this is the same as "what is the total of all costs involved including taxes."

At what point do I need to speak to the GM to resolve the revolving door of lies or misdirection I am getting? Looking for any help here.

Seriously peeved and annoyed at the moment with my first ordered vehicle.
yea, no need to worry. this all happens in the initial steps in ordering your car. my color, gearbox, etc was all off too, but just give them time to update the site. BMWUSA isn't the best on updating data.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2014, 03:14 PM   #13
DanG
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 AW DCT

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [7.68]
Should have used Rick like I suggested. He is a real straight shooter.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2014, 04:45 PM   #14
missxmelon
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by e90post_user View Post
I am not sure what the process with your dealer, but when I placed the orders with my dealer, before the CA submits the order he sends me the build sheet and have me sign it, and send it back. So both of us have a record on what is being ordered.
I also went through this process. Fortunately, mine came out correctly.

Definitely keep a record of your build sheet, in case the dealer feigns ignorance to their mistakes.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2014, 05:28 PM   #15
NY10
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 228i xdrive Coupe

My dealer made it clear to me that NOT all the right features and colors will show on BMWUSA. Of course mine showed correct the entire time but my CA did tell me not to panic if anything is wrong.

I know it's frustrating but I would wait and see what happens once production is done. If the car is not what you ordered then I would go to another dealership. The prices and everything vary as well.

I'm buying my car out right but but I have to wait until the very end to get the final price.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2014, 10:14 PM   #16
hoppy6698
Captain
United_States
Rep

Thanks all for the reassurances. Like I said, as my first true 'order' of a car (not buying off of the floor), there is a lot of angst when issues arise.

I'm trying to let it ride out and not get too antsy about delivery. I'm looking to add the LSD at port as well, even though they quoted different prices on it.
      09-17-2014, 10:16 PM   #17
pikcachu
Major General
Rep

did you get a production week ?
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2014, 10:17 PM   #18
hoppy6698
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikcachu View Post
did you get a production week ?
26 Sep is the production date. I think this is the date it begins, right?
      09-17-2014, 10:26 PM   #19
pikcachu
Major General
Rep

if it's the "estimated production date" then yes... else you have confirmed production week that should be like 34 or 35... i'm not counting the weeks....

Last edited by pikcachu; 09-17-2014 at 10:39 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2014, 09:02 PM   #20
chaswyck1
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 228i Valencia Orange

Actually the details for the car listed for a specific production number not matching what you ordered might be a good thing. It might mean that your SA assigned you an earlier production slot and substituted your car for the one that was in that slot. So there might have been a MG 228i, no line in that slot for dealer inventory and they reassigned it to your VO 228i with MSport. It takes a little while for the system to catch up with the change, but seeing a different car with your production number might very well mean you're getting it sooner than you would have if they had given you the next available unassigned production slot. I went through this when I ordered my MINI three years ago. It took almost 2 weeks for the system to show the right vehicle info, but I got the car I ordered.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2014, 10:10 PM   #21
hoppy6698
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaswyck@yahoo.com View Post
Actually the details for the car listed for a specific production number not matching what you ordered might be a good thing. It might mean that your SA assigned you an earlier production slot and substituted your car for the one that was in that slot. So there might have been a MG 228i, no line in that slot for dealer inventory and they reassigned it to your VO 228i with MSport. It takes a little while for the system to catch up with the change, but seeing a different car with your production number might very well mean you're getting it sooner than you would have if they had given you the next available unassigned production slot. I went through this when I ordered my MINI three years ago. It took almost 2 weeks for the system to show the right vehicle info, but I got the car I ordered.
It resolved itself. When I got the final VIN, the build was correct. She is now on the west side of the Panama Canal. Shouldn't be too much longer now! I hope ..
      10-26-2014, 10:38 PM   #22
FunRevn
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2020 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoppy6698 View Post
It resolved itself. When I got the final VIN, the build was correct. She is now on the west side of the Panama Canal. Shouldn't be too much longer now! I hope ..
Is your car on the Morning Cello? Both mine and my wife's cars are on that boat.
2007 X3 MSport - retired
1995 M3 - retired
Appreciate 0