THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum 2015 Oyster Interior Question

08-22-2014, 07:13 AM   #1
WI_Rob
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 335is

Question 2015 Oyster Interior Question

I've found conflicting info on this; I'm hoping that someone can confirm a couple of quick questions for me:

The 2014 Oyster interior included some oyster-colored plastics and carpets… which seemed to me like they would require a lot of cleaning to look respectable. For me, as a daily driver in snow & slush, the oyster carpet is a deal-breaker.

My dealer suggested that the 2015 oyster interior now has black plastics and carpets (more like the Coral Red leather interior). BUT I was dealing with a sales guy I have not worked with in the past, and he was aware of my concern before he gave his answer… Let's just say I have other reasons to doubt his answer.

Can anyone confirm what pieces are oyster and what pieces are black in the 2015 MY?

Second, I haven't seen any photos of EB exterior with Oyster interior… seems like that would be an attractive combo. Has anyone seen that build in the wild? I did spend some time searching the OFFICIAL COLORS thread, without much luck.

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2014, 09:30 AM   #2
hyperzulu
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235i

Not to be captain obvious, but have you looked at bmwusa.com? They have a 360 option when you configure the car. You can see what is and isn't oyster. To save you time, seats, arm rest and center trim piece of door areas are oyster. Everything else, carpet, headliner, majority of trim on doors, are black.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2014, 09:54 AM   #3
horsepower_and_hounds
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyperzulu View Post
Not to be captain obvious, but have you looked at bmwusa.com? They have a 360 option when you configure the car. You can see what is and isn't oyster. To save you time, seats, arm rest and center trim piece of door areas are oyster. Everything else, carpet, headliner, majority of trim on doors, are black.
The above is correct...I had that in my '09 and loved it. Was going to do the same for my '14 235 till I seen it was the whole interior so I opted for red. I am so glad I did...it looks sweet.
'15 sa gone back to the oyster/black
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2014, 01:47 PM   #4
WI_Rob
Private First Class
Rep

Thanks guys.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2014, 11:33 PM   #5
Lynn_228i
AW BMW 228i with Black Dakota Leather Seats
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 228i

You sure the headliner is black. I had the oyster/black combination in my BMW 128i and my headliner was light and pretty that went well with my seats. I had black mats and black carpeting but cool and pretty and happy light seats.

I love my BMW 228i except for the black seats. They look nice with my Alpine White exterior but I miss having a light happy interior and black is definitely hotter since my back stays hot when with the oyster seats the oyster did not absorb the heat and cooled off quickly.

I just wish BMW would put some oyster on the front of the dashboard in the 2015 model like they do with the all Oyster combination in the 2014 model.

The Dakota leather is cheaper and easier to keep clean than the Boston Leather so I wish I went with the Oyster interior.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2014, 11:36 PM   #6
hoppy6698
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: M235i, Estoril Blue on Black

Any thoughts or pics of how the oyster interior would look with the Alcantara / CF interior MP kit?
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2014, 12:22 AM   #7
hyperzulu
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynn_228i View Post
You sure the headliner is black. I had the oyster/black combination in my BMW 128i and my headliner was light and pretty that went well with my seats. I had black mats and black carpeting but cool and pretty and happy light seats.

I love my BMW 228i except for the black seats. They look nice with my Alpine White exterior but I miss having a light happy interior and black is definitely hotter since my back stays hot when with the oyster seats the oyster did not absorb the heat and cooled off quickly.

I just wish BMW would put some oyster on the front of the dashboard in the 2015 model like they do with the all Oyster combination in the 2014 model.

The Dakota leather is cheaper and easier to keep clean than the Boston Leather so I wish I went with the Oyster interior.
Good point. The headliner depends on the line. Has always been this way. Your 128i was not M sport. M sport added an anthracite headliner. This was true of sport and M sport in 2014 as well for the 2er, regardless of interior color. Non-sport = beige headliner. M/Sport = anthracite.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2014, 08:46 AM   #8
Lynn_228i
United_States
Rep

Anthracite headliner only on M/Sport

Quote:
Good point. The headliner depends on the line. Has always been this way. Your 128i was not M sport. M sport added an anthracite headliner. This was true of sport and M sport in 2014 as well for the 2er, regardless of interior color. Non-sport = beige headliner. M/Sport = anthracite.

Thank you hyperzulu! I prefer the lighter top interior of my car despite how sporty the black looks.

I am going back to oyster seats after this lease ends as the black seats absorb the heat so when I am shopping or in a seminar, I get in my seat and the back of the seats do not cool off. I think also since the leather is not ventilated and is now a cheaper quality, this is adding to the problem. But if my seats would now be oyster, I am sure the blue jean die would wipe right off. When my car is in my garage, my seats are not hot. I have a home office so if leaving from my home, I am fine but it is very uncomfortable for me as I have not had dark seats in about 11.5 years and now I see why.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2014, 04:12 PM   #9
justinj23
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235i xdrive

I was under the same dilemma regarding estoril blue with oyster interior. Initially I was going to go for the Estoril Terra combo since I wasn't a huge fan of the complete oyster interior. But when I saw that the 2015 m235i now had the option for oyster/black I began to contemplate whether to do that instead. I knew The estoril Terra combo looked great after seeing pictures on this forum but I decided in the end to go for the estoril blue oyster/black. I thought it would be a great combo and seeing many others with the estoril Terra made me decide to do something different. I ordered my car a few weeks ago and its on a vessel on the way over as we speak. It arrives to port on the 4th and I'll send pics soon after once I get delivery...
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2014, 05:10 PM   #10
WI_Rob
Private First Class
Rep

@justinj23: thanks for the offer to take pics. Sounds like a great color mix!
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2014, 08:12 PM   #11
Lynn_228i
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinj23 View Post
I was under the same dilemma regarding estoril blue with oyster interior. Initially I was going to go for the Estoril Terra combo since I wasn't a huge fan of the complete oyster interior. But when I saw that the 2015 m235i now had the option for oyster/black I began to contemplate whether to do that instead. I knew The estoril Terra combo looked great after seeing pictures on this forum but I decided in the end to go for the estoril blue oyster/black. I thought it would be a great combo and seeing many others with the estoril Terra made me decide to do something different. I ordered my car a few weeks ago and its on a vessel on the way over as we speak. It arrives to port on the 4th and I'll send pics soon after once I get delivery...
Justinj23, great choice! I know the estoril blue with the oyster/black interior is going to look great! I wish they would offer the estoril blue in the BMW 228i in three years as I love that shade of blue. Please share pictures!
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2014, 08:51 PM   #12
hoppy6698
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: M235i, Estoril Blue on Black

Quote:
Can't wait for pics! I am looking to order soon, really need to decide on black or oyster interior. I also want to do the CF / Alcantara later, which I think would go well with either, but better with oyster? Thoughts?
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2014, 06:35 AM   #13
justinj23
Rep

Thanks guys..I'll post pics as soon as I can. Can't wait to see the color combo myself!
Hoppy6698: As far as the going for either black or oyster, it all depends on whether you'll be willing to maintain the oyster interior. I've heard that it could be a hassle regarding dye transfer from jeans, but I was willing to see for myself. I'm coming from black interior on my prior 2 cars so it was time for something different as well.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2014, 07:41 AM   #14
WI_Rob
Private First Class
Rep

@Justinj23: The EB on Oyster/black is my top contender right now… I just reread your replies above and saw that you will be taking delivery in the beginning of Sept. Congrats!

I have to imagine that the closer the day is, the longer the days are!!!

Please keep us in the loop!

@hyperzulu: your comment about using the online config tool was actually very helpful. Once I knew to trust what it was showing, I realized that it does a great job of… well… showing how the interior looks! I'm impressed with the level of detail that BMW marketing uses… I've seen details like that ignored with some other online config tools from other manufacturers.

Last edited by WI_Rob; 08-25-2014 at 07:41 AM.. Reason: punctuation
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2014, 12:05 PM   #15
Lynn_228i
United_States
Rep

The Boston Interior on the 1-series car in Oyster was difficult to maintain in the driver's seat but this Dakota leather seems to be a cheaper heavily processed coated leather in the 2-series and I can see it most likely will be very easy to maintain like my light colored leather sofa that never stains from blue jeans and spills wipe right up without staining. Now that I see how the Dakota leather is so different than the Boston leather and actually feels like Vinyl, I wish I ordered the Oyster in my BMW 228i car. The black is sporty looking but due to no venting in Dakota heavily processed leather, my back gets hot when I am driving and the interior is so dark to me. I love my new BMW 228i car but I truly miss having a light happy interior and a cooler seat,

Please update us on how easy this Dakota leather is to keep clean. I know in three years when my lease ends, if I still find the BMW the most comfortable for me to drive, I will be ordering a car with Oyster seats.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2014, 01:11 PM   #16
hyperzulu
Colonel
United_States
Rep

You really should just invest in some 70% ceramic tint all around the car, including the windshield. It cuts the heat inside the car DRAMATICALLY. Bold lettering and emphasis aren't enough to drive the point of how big of a difference this makes. It's so much nicer inside without heat piercing your face through the windshield. 70-80% ceramic tint is not going to look tinted or make visibility any darker, but ceramic will cut the heat by a lot. I live in LA... in the valley. It gets to triple digits here some days. Even on a lease, I will do this.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2014, 01:23 PM   #17
Lynn_228i
United_States
Rep

Quote:
You really should just invest in some 70% ceramic tint all around the car, including the windshield. It cuts the heat inside the car DRAMATICALLY. Bold lettering and emphasis aren't enough to drive the point of how big of a difference this makes. It's so much nicer inside without heat piercing your face through the windshield. 70-80% ceramic tint is not going to look tinted or make visibility any darker, but ceramic will cut the heat by a lot. I live in LA... in the valley. It gets to triple digits here some days. Even on a lease, I will do this.
Thank you Hyperzulu for sharing. I will have to find out about this process and be sure I am allowed to do it on a leased vehicle. Thank you!
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2014, 09:11 PM   #18
Lynn_228i
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Thanks guys..I'll post pics as soon as I can. Can't wait to see the color combo myself!
Hoppy6698: As far as the going for either black or oyster, it all depends on whether you'll be willing to maintain the oyster interior. I've heard that it could be a hassle regarding dye transfer from jeans, but I was willing to see for myself. I'm coming from black interior on my prior 2 cars so it was time for something different as well.

JustinJ23, We can't wait to see pictures when you have time!
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2014, 10:56 PM   #19
justinj23
Rep

Hey Guys,

Sorry, after taking delivery of my car I went on vacation to Aruba. Just got back yesterday. Here are some quick pics of the oyster black interior. I'm extremely happy with the combo so far. I'll post some better quality images when I get some time.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-24-2014, 12:59 AM   #20
Alpine F31
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: MB E350 4MATIC Estate

Garage List
Quote:
Hey Guys,

.... I'll post some better quality images when I get some time.
Please!

These pictures suck but your car is

Love it! Great choice!
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2014, 06:55 AM   #21
WI_Rob
Private First Class
Rep

Your new 2er looks great!

@justinj23-

Going to Aruba sounds great… Going to Aruba 1 day after receiving your long awaited M235i?!? That sounds like a difficult decision!

Your color combo looks fantastic. The new Oyster/black interior is really sharp, particularly with the EB exterior.

This was about the time I was expecting to order the exact same combo… but 2 weeks ago I ran into a beautiful 2011 CPO trade at my dealer. AW 335iS Manual Transmission. No Nav (which I prefer in a 3 yr old car… so it doesn't look super old in a couple of years). Low miles with a few months of original warranty left plus 2 years of BMW CPO Warranty.

Anyway, the interior is also the beautiful Oyster/black combo.

Here's a couple of quick pics of my first BMW! Enjoy your new M235i!

Name:  335isExRear 297.jpg
Views: 1734
Size:  61.0 KB

Name:  335isInterior 298.jpg
Views: 1930
Size:  104.1 KB
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2014, 02:51 PM   #22
justinj23
Rep

@Alpine F31: lol..no worries I'll update with some nicer pics..and thanks!

@WI_Rob: Yes, leaving for Aruba right after receiving the M235i was definitely difficult! I had no choice as the Aruba trip was planned way back in March, which was well before I even thought about the M235i. As sad as I was leaving Aruba, it definitely made it easier knowing what I had waiting for me back at home! By the way, Congrats on your ride! Looks great
Appreciate 0