THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum 2 month old m235i in golf ball plus size hail

05-28-2014, 12:17 PM   #45
lichenlt
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by basiluf View Post
I can't imagine the thread that GFK007 would have started if this happened to him.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2014, 01:34 PM   #46
scanspeak
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW E92 325i 12/2007

I'm considering carrying a soft car-cover in the trunk which would probably be helpful in minimising hail damage.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2014, 01:35 PM   #47
deathsliver
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M235i

This is heartbreaking to look it.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2014, 07:04 PM   #48
prolif1k
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2018 Fashion Grey F80

Well, the appointment with the appraiser went terribly today. First, he couldn't even find the M235 in his system to figure out prices, so I didn't even get a damage value. He then told me the car definitely isn't totaled because all it needs is a new roof, hood and trunk. He didn't even look at my interior or any other parts of the car that were lost or wrecked.

Side note: on the way to the appointment, I found that I now have a "passenger safety malfunction". Those aren't the exact words, forget what they were. I'm assuming that means the airbags and/or their sensors don't work.

He told me that if I don't agree with him, I should take it to a body shop to get an appraisal. He insisted they will let me know the damage is not as bad as I think it is, even though he couldn't even give me a number. I'm trying to squeeze it in for a quick appraisal at my dealer's body shop. I work for the dealer, so I'm hoping I can get a little priority.

Any advice anyone has beyond that would be greatly appreciated. =(
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2014, 07:41 PM   #49
five3three
Major
Rep
Drives: m2c

Quote:
Originally Posted by prolif1k View Post
Well, the appointment with the appraiser went terribly today. First, he couldn't even find the M235 in his system to figure out prices, so I didn't even get a damage value. He then told me the car definitely isn't totaled because all it needs is a new roof, hood and trunk. He didn't even look at my interior or any other parts of the car that were lost or wrecked.

Side note: on the way to the appointment, I found that I now have a "passenger safety malfunction". Those aren't the exact words, forget what they were. I'm assuming that means the airbags and/or their sensors don't work.

He told me that if I don't agree with him, I should take it to a body shop to get an appraisal. He insisted they will let me know the damage is not as bad as I think it is, even though he couldn't even give me a number. I'm trying to squeeze it in for a quick appraisal at my dealer's body shop. I work for the dealer, so I'm hoping I can get a little priority.

Any advice anyone has beyond that would be greatly appreciated. =(
It's a tough one when dealing with insurance, especially on a 40-50k car. The damage estimate has to exceed 75% of assessed value of the car in order to be considered totaled.

I would have considered that totaled, but I'm not an insurance adjuster nor do I know how much it would take to repair that to spec and replace the parts that need replacing.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2014, 07:45 PM   #50
prolif1k
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by five3three View Post
It's a tough one when dealing with insurance, especially on a 40-50k car. The damage estimate has to exceed 75% of assessed value of the car in order to be considered totaled.

I would have considered that totaled, but I'm not an insurance adjuster nor do I know how much it would take to repair that to spec and replace the parts that need replacing.
Yeah, I've been told it's typically around 70-75% in PA, but once I started mentally adding things up with my limited body repair knowledge, I figured it was a no brainer.

New hood, new trunk, A frame and roof repair (not even sure if it's possible to repair them to their original states), new mirrors, trim, tail lights, brake caliper, rear window, sunroof, windshield, whatever is going on with the interior electrics, whatever water damage the seats and floor have taken, doors, front fenders

It's practically every single piece of the car's exterior, so I figured $36-38k in damage when you consider parts and labor would be pretty easy to reach, especially with all the unknowns of the interior damage.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2014, 07:58 PM   #51
five3three
Major
Rep
Drives: m2c

Quote:
Yeah, I've been told it's typically around 70-75% in PA, but once I started mentally adding things up with my limited body repair knowledge, I figured it was a no brainer.

New hood, new trunk, A frame and roof repair (not even sure if it's possible to repair them to their original states), new mirrors, trim, tail lights, brake caliper, rear window, sunroof, windshield, whatever is going on with the interior electrics, whatever water damage the seats and floor have taken, doors, front fenders

It's practically every single piece of the car's exterior, so I figured $36-38k in damage when you consider parts and labor would be pretty easy to reach, especially with all the unknowns of the interior damage.

The sad thing is that sometimes insurance adjusters do get it wrong. They'll authorize a repair that is borderline totaled and then once the repairs are under way, hidden damage pops up and the insurance is forced to pay up even more pushing it well past the threshold that would have been considered totaled in the beginning. But, it's too late at that point since the body shop has to get paid.

Get your own estimates for sure and all you can do is hope for the best.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2014, 11:32 AM   #52
livestrong191
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: C350

WOW that car went from aero dynamic to dimple super fast aero dynamic luv it
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2014, 07:19 AM   #53
G82Dude
-
Rep
Drives: M4CMxD

So, I'm no hail expert either, but hail stones travel horizontally?!?
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2014, 08:25 AM   #54
prolif1k
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by uke92dude View Post
The wind was blowing erratically the whole time, so they were coming down from various angles
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2014, 08:23 PM   #55
Meeni
Gateropode
Rep
Drives: BMW 330i 06

Quote:
Originally Posted by uke92dude View Post
Yes, because they come at the same time as terrible tropical storms or tornados.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2014, 07:53 PM   #56
Spitfi-r
Private
Rep
Drives: m235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by five3three View Post
The sad thing is that sometimes insurance adjusters do get it wrong. They'll authorize a repair that is borderline totaled and then once the repairs are under way, hidden damage pops up and the insurance is forced to pay up even more pushing it well past the threshold that would have been considered totaled in the beginning. But, it's too late at that point since the body shop has to get paid.

Get your own estimates for sure and all you can do is hope for the best.
yep, I have a buddy that went through this with a wrecked brand new Honda Pilot.
The body shop had the car for months, so long his rental needed oil changes. In addition to all the body and frame work, once they dug in, they ended up replacing the whole engine too. Once they got underway it was too late to back off.
He traded the car in the day he got it back because everything felt off and the damage was so extensive. He lost about 20k!

Good luck and be persistent. Keep calling and keep pushing the issue.
1991 318is: 2013->present taking up space
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2014, 08:49 PM   #57
soghetto
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: MY14 MG M235i 8-AT

Garage List
2014 m235i  [10.00]
better MPG with the dents. Its true, i saw it on mythbusters.

That really sucks though, I cant imagine having to deal with insurance in your situation. I hope it works out for you, just dont take no for an answer.... Push and insist best you can.

Does that do anything with the title as far as flood damage or would it still have a clean title when something like this happens?

sorry again about your luck!
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2014, 11:20 AM   #58
prolif1k
Private First Class
Rep

Just a quick update for everyone. The insurance company sent out a new, more competent adjuster on Monday and he wrote up the car. He didn't have a quote for me at the time, because the M235 doesn't exist in their parts appraisal system yet. They called me back this morning to let me know the car will be a total loss.

I'm really sad to see her go, but I know she never would have been the same after all the repairs.

My CA has found me a really nice 335, fully loaded, already with M performance exhaust and red performance brakes. There were no 235s available with manual in the Northeast, except for one base one with no options. I may sound impatient, but after waiting 3 months for my order, I didn't feel like waiting for another one to be built. I'm really happy to have been one of the first ones to join the 235 club and as short as my time with her was, she'll always have a place in my heart. Thanks for all the support, everyone!
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2014, 06:34 PM   #59
soghetto
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: MY14 MG M235i 8-AT

Garage List
2014 m235i  [10.00]
Quote:
Just a quick update for everyone. The insurance company sent out a new, more competent adjuster on Monday and he wrote up the car. He didn't have a quote for me at the time, because the M235 doesn't exist in their parts appraisal system yet. They called me back this morning to let me know the car will be a total loss.

I'm really sad to see her go, but I know she never would have been the same after all the repairs.

My CA has found me a really nice 335, fully loaded, already with M performance exhaust and red performance brakes. There were no 235s available with manual in the Northeast, except for one base one with no options. I may sound impatient, but after waiting 3 months for my order, I didn't feel like waiting for another one to be built. I'm really happy to have been one of the first ones to join the 235 club and as short as my time with her was, she'll always have a place in my heart. Thanks for all the support, everyone!
I understand not wanting to wait another 3 months and would probably cop the 335 myself. Bad luck took away the 235, but congratulations on getting it totaled and not having to fight that battle.

Pics of the 335 when you get it.
Appreciate 0