THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum New M235xi owner

10-29-2014, 07:24 AM   #1
haffl
manchild
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235xi

New M235xi owner

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
To all,

I'm finally back in the drivers seat of a proper BMW. I recently purchased a White M235xi with black dakota leather, Nav, Harmon Kardon sound system (360 watt version), sunroof, winter package (heated seats and steering wheel) riding on all-season run flat Pirelli's. This car also provides BMW assist which I find comforting when I go skiing out of state. The only dealer optioned I purchased was an extended warranty for a total of 5 years or 100K miles whichever occurs first. $48K + $2900 ext warranty + dealer fees and taxes.

This car is my daily driver which involves a 90 mile roundtrip commute (mostly highway). No plans to have 2 sets of wheels (space is limited) but I'm definitely purchasing some "non" runflat Bridgestone Pole Position tires once the factory tires are at or near the end of their treadlife.

I've previously owned the following cars: used 2001 330ci, new 2008 MK5 VW GTI APR Stage 2+ with Koni suspension and H&R sways, used 2009 335i coupe/Dinan stage II s/w, CAI and stage I suspension and a new 2011 VW GTI w/manual.

Of all my cars I cherised the Dinan tuned 335i and APR tuned MK5 GTI the most. The M235xi blows them away IMO for the following reasons:
-this car looks stunning in white from all angles (except the rear...not a fan of the tail lights)
-The sport and sport + settings are incredible. Changes the stiffness in the M adaptive suspension, steering and throttle response. It feels faster than my Dinan 335i.
-The sport seats with side electric bolstering puts a smile on my face every single day. I've never experienced such comfort and performance.
-The handlng is amazing. I haven't driven like "speed racer" yet but I've been down some back country roads and it sticks like glue. Confidence inspiring to say the least.
-I love cabin tech. Never owned a BMW with iDrive before. So easy to use and addictive (like the iphone). The 8.5" monitor provides top notch graphics.
-Web radio comes with the Nav package. It is 10X better than satellite radio IMO. The only thing I miss is my Howard Stern in the morning.
-Even though it's a base model Kardon stereo it's still very impressisve. The bass speakers are under the front seats...what a nice touch!

I plan to keep this car 5+ years (knock on wood) so no plans for a s/w tune although it's tempting. I prefer Dinan due to the warranty protection and more conservative approach to tuning. For those who haven't experienced a Dinan suspension I'd highly recommend it if your not happy with your current set up. Absorbs the bumps without punishing the driver and no slop in the turns however the M235xi suspension feels better IMO.

Happy motoring!

Lee
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2014, 08:17 AM   #2
Vervain
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: .

Garage List
Cool! Would love to see some pictures
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2014, 11:23 AM   #3
BruceOmega
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i xDrive Sportline

Lee / OP

Congratulations. Did you have a chance to compare a RWD M235i to your xDrive?

Its my understanding both have the same suspension, so am curious whether there is any difference in driving feel on public roads.

Thanks
Bruce
      10-29-2014, 11:58 AM   #4
paul @ eas
United_States
Rep
Drives: 15 M4

congrats! looking forward to see some pictures of your car.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2014, 12:29 PM   #5
xlover
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2023 X7 40i

you should have a free sat radio for a year so at least one year of howard
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2014, 12:48 PM   #6
335BOY
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2017 SQ5

Awesome car! Cant believe youre not getting winter tires. Its a safety issue. AWD won't help you stop.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2014, 01:08 PM   #7
alz0rz
What goes here?
Rep
Drives: 2019 G30 M550i

Garage List
Yeah not having "plans" for two sets of wheels is not good. AWD is not going to save you.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2014, 01:58 PM   #8
hyperzulu
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235i

Can we not make this guy's thread another AWD vs Winter Tires thread? Let the horses rest in peace.

As someone noted, you should have a year of free satellite radio. Might as well activate and use it. Also, try out the voice commands, as they're supposed to have gotten much better than they were in the previous iDrive - actually work. Didn't get to try it yet, but I will when I get my car back.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2014, 02:05 PM   #9
VMRWheels
General
Rep
Drives: BMW

Garage List
2013 BMW M3  [10.00]
2015 BMW M4  [0.00]
2013 BMW F30  [0.00]
2014 BMW F22  [0.00]
2013 BMW F06  [0.00]
Congrats, nice pickup!
      10-29-2014, 03:50 PM   #10
williewonkerz
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: M235i

Garage List
2014 M235i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceOmega View Post
Lee / OP

Congratulations. Did you have a chance to compare a RWD M235i to your xDrive?

Its my understanding both have the same suspension, so am curious whether there is any difference in driving feel on public roads.

Thanks
Bruce
exactly, looking at weather in virginia I can understand not "needing" winter tires, but then why XDrive at all.....
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2014, 04:59 PM   #11
augerpro
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M235i, Nissan 370Z

Quote:
Originally Posted by haffl View Post
-The sport and sport + settings are incredible. Changes the stiffness in the M adaptive suspension

Lee
Does it change the suspension stiffness? I test drove one last week (ordering this Friday!) with a BMW Genius and he said there is only one setting on the xdrive suspension.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2014, 02:07 AM   #12
Exotics Tuning
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M235i,E92 M3

Smile

Congrats on the purchase.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2014, 06:42 AM   #13
haffl
manchild
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by augerpro View Post
Does it change the suspension stiffness? I test drove one last week (ordering this Friday!) with a BMW Genius and he said there is only one setting on the xdrive suspension.
That was my understanding when I discussed the sport and sport+ settings with my Sales rep but I have not confirmed this to be a fact. I should check in my owner's manual and/or with BMW Corporate.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2014, 06:58 AM   #14
haffl
manchild
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by williewonkerz View Post
exactly, looking at weather in virginia I can understand not "needing" winter tires, but then why XDrive at all.....
Because having owned a rwd 335i which was horrible in the snow and ice I decided to go to an awd platform. My friends with awd cars tell me I should be fine in NOVA driving mostly highway on all seasons...time will tell. If I feel unsafe I'll pick up a wheel/tire set from Tire Rack for the 2 - 2.5 months that I might actually need them in this area.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2014, 07:07 AM   #15
brhon
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235i Xdrive MW

Quote:
To all,

I'm finally back in the drivers seat of a proper BMW. I recently purchased a White M235xi with black dakota leather, Nav, Harmon Kardon sound system (360 watt version), sunroof, winter package (heated seats and steering wheel) riding on all-season run flat Pirelli's. This car also provides BMW assist which I find comforting when I go skiing out of state. The only dealer optioned I purchased was an extended warranty for a total of 5 years or 100K miles whichever occurs first. $48K + $2900 ext warranty + dealer fees and taxes.

This car is my daily driver which involves a 90 mile roundtrip commute (mostly highway). No plans to have 2 sets of wheels (space is limited) but I'm definitely purchasing some "non" runflat Bridgestone Pole Position tires once the factory tires are at or near the end of their treadlife.

I've previously owned the following cars: used 2001 330ci, new 2008 MK5 VW GTI APR Stage 2+ with Koni suspension and H&R sways, used 2009 335i coupe/Dinan stage II s/w, CAI and stage I suspension and a new 2011 VW GTI w/manual.

Of all my cars I cherised the Dinan tuned 335i and APR tuned MK5 GTI the most. The M235xi blows them away IMO for the following reasons:
-this car looks stunning in white from all angles (except the rear...not a fan of the tail lights)
-The sport and sport + settings are incredible. Changes the stiffness in the M adaptive suspension, steering and throttle response. It feels faster than my Dinan 335i.
-The sport seats with side electric bolstering puts a smile on my face every single day. I've never experienced such comfort and performance.
-The handlng is amazing. I haven't driven like "speed racer" yet but I've been down some back country roads and it sticks like glue. Confidence inspiring to say the least.
-I love cabin tech. Never owned a BMW with iDrive before. So easy to use and addictive (like the iphone). The 8.5" monitor provides top notch graphics.
-Web radio comes with the Nav package. It is 10X better than satellite radio IMO. The only thing I miss is my Howard Stern in the morning.
-Even though it's a base model Kardon stereo it's still very impressisve. The bass speakers are under the front seats...what a nice touch!

I plan to keep this car 5+ years (knock on wood) so no plans for a s/w tune although it's tempting. I prefer Dinan due to the warranty protection and more conservative approach to tuning. For those who haven't experienced a Dinan suspension I'd highly recommend it if your not happy with your current set up. Absorbs the bumps without punishing the driver and no slop in the turns however the M235xi suspension feels better IMO.

Happy motoring!

Lee
Lee-agreed on all counts. I have only had the car a few days, still working on the perfect seating adjustment. Have not had a chance to set up the Connected Drive, or setup Sat radio even. I have to go into the garage to let our dogs outside, it gives me some alone time with the car. The proportions are awesome and it feels bigger than it looks from the outside, coming from a 3 GT I was a little concerned about that.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2014, 07:13 AM   #16
sstarrx3
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2014 228i Mineral White/Terra

Quote:
Originally Posted by alz0rz View Post
Yeah not having "plans" for two sets of wheels is not good. AWD is not going to save you.
This is total crap! He will be fine on All Weather Tires!! I spent years driving in the Cascades in AWD vehicles on All Weather tires and never had and issue and we got 400 inches of snow a year, in the MOUNTAINS. Really gets old how people get on here and try to coax people into not getting AWD or into buying Winter Tires for an AWD vehicle. If you buy AWD you do not need two sets of tires, All Weathers will work just fine!
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2014, 07:16 AM   #17
sstarrx3
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by williewonkerz View Post
Some of he worst blizzards I have ever been through is when I lived in VA. Its not Georgia!!
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2014, 07:20 AM   #18
sstarrx3
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335BOY View Post
Awesome car! Cant believe youre not getting winter tires. Its a safety issue. AWD won't help you stop.
NOT!!!! He will be fine with All Weather if he drives like there is snow on the ground. You live in Toronto so I cant commit on there, but I have spent plenty of time traveling in Alberta and BC in the winter to ski and folks drive a little fast up there for the road conditions. Throwing winter tires on a car is not a good reason to go the speed limit on packed snow!!
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2014, 09:25 AM   #19
335BOY
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2017 SQ5

Quote:
Originally Posted by sstarrx3 View Post
This is total crap! He will be fine on All Weather Tires!! I spent years driving in the Cascades in AWD vehicles on All Weather tires and never had and issue and we got 400 inches of snow a year, in the MOUNTAINS. Really gets old how people get on here and try to coax people into not getting AWD or into buying Winter Tires for an AWD vehicle. If you buy AWD you do not need two sets of tires, All Weathers will work just fine!
What really gets old is how its been proven so many times that Winter tires are far better/safer in winter than A/S and people don't believe it. I wouldnt even run A/S on my car in the summer. Why would I? Guys like you don't and will never get it. AWD will not help you stop. THATS what matters. There are endless videos etc on line. A/S vs winters from 40 mph........Winters stop about 4 car lengths shorter. OP is talking about mostly highway driving? That would be way worse than only city because you are going so much faster. Its about temperature as much as anything. Its a safety issue. "I'll be fine". That s great.

Last edited by 335BOY; 10-30-2014 at 09:59 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2014, 09:51 AM   #20
haffl
manchild
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by augerpro View Post
And here's the answer courtesy of BMW of North America's website.

The M235i has a tailor-made Adaptive Sport Suspension for even more dynamic handling – electronically controlled dampers in the Adaptive M suspension adapt to suit the current driving style and road conditions. You can modify the damper characteristics using the Driving Experience Control. Additionally, the Adaptive M suspension can be lowered by 10 mm, increasing the vehicle's agility. A noticeably firmer damper setting is activated when the Sport Mode is selected via the Driving Experience Control. In Sport+ Mode, the Dynamic Stability Control (DSC) is replaced by the Dynamic Traction Control (DTC),which allows for even more dynamic driving.

Variable sport steering with Servotronic allows for direct and agile driving characteristics with minimal steering effort. It reacts by varying the steering ratio independently of the current speed. In doing so, it reduces the necessary steering movement to achieve a particularly tight steering angle. This greatly improves agility, particularly when driving dynamically around tight bends and curves or when swerving to avoid an obstacle. It also enhances comfort when parking, turning and manoeuvring. For small steering angles, the system provides excellent directional stability and a very high degree of steering precision.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2014, 10:13 AM   #21
haffl
manchild
United_States
Rep

Quote:
And here's the answer courtesy of BMW of North America's website.

The M235i has a tailor-made Adaptive Sport Suspension for even more dynamic handling – electronically controlled dampers in the Adaptive M suspension adapt to suit the current driving style and road conditions. You can modify the damper characteristics using the Driving Experience Control. Additionally, the Adaptive M suspension can be lowered by 10 mm, increasing the vehicle's agility. A noticeably firmer damper setting is activated when the Sport Mode is selected via the Driving Experience Control. In Sport+ Mode, the Dynamic Stability Control (DSC) is replaced by the Dynamic Traction Control (DTC),which allows for even more dynamic driving.

Variable sport steering with Servotronic allows for direct and agile driving characteristics with minimal steering effort. It reacts by varying the steering ratio independently of the current speed. In doing so, it reduces the necessary steering movement to achieve a particularly tight steering angle. This greatly improves agility, particularly when driving dynamically around tight bends and curves or when swerving to avoid an obstacle. It also enhances comfort when parking, turning and manoeuvring. For small steering angles, the system provides excellent directional stability and a very high degree of steering precision.
Pulled this information from the M235xi Vehicle Highlight section but it looks like they are only talking about the rwd "i" model. Oh well. The car still handles on rails.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2014, 10:58 AM   #22
Sportstick
Major General
Rep
Drives: '15 228i and '24 X3 sDrive30i

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335BOY View Post
What really gets old is how its been proven so many times that Winter tires are far better/safer in winter than A/S and people don't believe it. I wouldnt even run A/S on my car in the summer. Why would I? Guys like you don't and will never get it. AWD will not help you stop. THATS what matters. There are endless videos etc on line. A/S vs winters from 40 mph........Winters stop about 4 car lengths shorter. OP is talking about mostly highway driving? That would be way worse than only city because you are going so much faster. Its about temperature as much as anything. Its a safety issue. "I'll be fine". That s great.
There is little doubt that AWD can help get a car in motion from a standstill better than rear or front wheel drive, which is a nice convenience. After all, we do want to get places. But, those who believe in "you'll be fine" with all season tires in winter, regardless of two or four wheels being powered, simply haven't been in the situation (yet) where the proven superior capability on snow/ice of hydrophilic winter compounds and tread design made the difference between stopping or turning in time....or not, and hitting someone/something. AWD is of no help in those situations. The same mindset years ago used to proclaim they were "fine" without seatbelts. They just hadn't hit anything yet.

http://www.caranddriver.com/columns/...ur-wheel-drive

http://jalopnik.com/lets-settle-the-...bat-1462180324
Appreciate 0