THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics N55 (M235i) Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Tuning VRSF chargepipe rubbing

06-13-2018, 06:13 PM   #1
mahmut235
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235i X-Drive

VRSF chargepipe rubbing

Hello guys so i ordered a vrsf chargepipe from mike at xtreme powerhouse and had it installed by my mechanic 2 days ago. The part took forever to install since my cars an xdrive (m235).

Ever since then when i try turning right at a good rotation the steering wheel feels like it locks in place and i have to pull it back to the left side to "unlock it".

I had a tech at where i work put it up on a hoist and it looks like the steering rack joint is rubbing the chargepipe and its all scrapped up on the coating of the pipe.

Wanted some insight as to fixing this because my mechanic says the parts garbage and the way it grooves doesnt fit the car properly.

Im taking it back to him tomorrow and hes gona see what he can do. Any tips as to fixing this? Wondering if anyone else had this issue
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2018, 07:12 AM   #2
MG///M_3713
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235i xDrive

I have a 2015 xdrive and I had no issues with mine other than the rear O2 sensor wires being a bit tight before removing a few of the clips.

Have any images?
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2018, 09:28 AM   #3
abdiel
Private
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by mahmut235 View Post
Any tips as to fixing this? Wondering if anyone else had this issue
You can try rotating the two pipes pieces at the throttle body and IC connections to "lift up" the pipe(s) where it is rubbing.
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2018, 12:11 PM   #4
Mr235
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235ix

I just installed the same charge pipe along with a vrsf intercooler on my xdrive, no problems at all, fitment was great. Took 1.5hrs, off the garage floor.
Sounds like your mechanic didn't rotate the pipe to clear the steering properly.
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2018, 12:14 PM   #5
Mr235
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by abdiel View Post
You can try rotating the two pipes pieces at the throttle body and IC connections to "lift up" the pipe(s) where it is rubbing.
He'll most likely need to remove the pipe at the silicone coupler and make sure to center the pipe coming off the TB first, to get it on correctly.
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2018, 12:21 PM   #6
Dynamic_m235
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 m235i xDrive

This has been happening to me and I had no clue why, also running vrsf chargepipe. Now that I know, I’m gunna have to get mine checked out as well.
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2018, 03:34 PM   #7
frenchfry675
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: M235i xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by MG///M_3713 View Post
I have a 2015 xdrive and I had no issues with mine other than the rear O2 sensor wires being a bit tight before removing a few of the clips.

Have any images?
Your talking about a downpipe he's talking about the chargepipe from the intercooler to the throttle body.
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2018, 03:58 PM   #8
mahmut235
Private
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr235 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by abdiel View Post
He'll most likely need to remove the pipe at the silicone coupler and make sure to center the pipe coming off the TB first, to get it on correctly.
Appreciate all the feedback

I went by to him today and hes like " the pipes have grooves to click into theres no way its going to work because i cant twist the pipes"

Im bringing it in to him at 9am tomorrow and he said hes going to try extending the grooves so it sit up a bit more doesnt rub the steering rack joint.

Any tips i can give him? I paid $300 and this is not the outcome i wanted
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2018, 05:54 PM   #9
Mr235
United_States
Rep

Not sure what your mechanic's talking about. Yes, the charge pipe at the TB end and the IC end clip into place, but they are able to rotate. C-clips are designed to keep a tight connection while allowing clocking, or rotation of the two adjoining parts. Mechanic should know that. Don't allow him to cut larger grooves in the pipe, then it is worthless.

If that doesn't help, maybe need to take the pipe back out and lay it down next to the stock pipe, assuring it is the correct one.
Concerned that you may have received one not for your auto/manual or Xdrive/ rear wheel. Sounds more like install error truthfully.
Contact Mike as well
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2018, 06:42 PM   #10
frenchfry675
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: M235i xdrive

It's a tight fit on the x-drive the pipes have to be perfect. I have an ER charge pipe and mine was rubbing on the sway bar bracket. Almost rubbed a hole through it. Like mr235 said he needs to twist them to find the sweet spot for clearance. Definitely don't let him cut the slots bigger. The slots on the charge pipe are what holds the clip in. The clip only goes on at the one spot on the charge pipe. but at the intercooler the ridge where the clip slips into goes all the way around so it can be rotated there. I would contact vrsf directly if your mechanic can't get it Tiago is very helpful.
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2018, 06:50 PM   #11
mahmut235
Private
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Not sure what your mechanic's talking about. Yes, the charge pipe at the TB end and the IC end clip into place, but they are able to rotate. C-clips are designed to keep a tight connection while allowing clocking, or rotation of the two adjoining parts. Mechanic should know that. Don't allow him to cut larger grooves in the pipe, then it is worthless.

If that doesn't help, maybe need to take the pipe back out and lay it down next to the stock pipe, assuring it is the correct one.
Concerned that you may have received one not for your auto/manual or Xdrive/ rear wheel. Sounds more like install error truthfully.
Contact Mike as well
Thank you for the reply, so the throttle body connection and intercooler connection where the little slot is, is able to rotate? Thats what he was having troubles with

So once he rotates them he can find the clearance so its not rubbing anything right?
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2018, 07:11 PM   #12
Mr235
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Thank you for the reply, so the throttle body connection and intercooler connection where the little slot is, is able to rotate? Thats what he was having troubles with

So once he rotates them he can find the clearance so its not rubbing anything right?
Yes. Like FrenchFry said, there is a "sweet spot". It's a tight fit, but doable.

If he cannot fix, take it somewhere else. Just don't let him cut it.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2018, 08:22 AM   #13
mahmut235
Private
Canada
Rep

Quote:

Contact Mike as well
Theres a little groove that fits into the chargepipe on the intercooler and once it clicks then he puts the ring around it. How exactly does he twist that groove from the intercooler and throttle body?
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2018, 10:15 AM   #14
cxp213
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M235i

Quote:
the charge pipe at the TB end and the IC end clip into place, but they are able to rotate. C-clips are designed to keep a tight connection while allowing clocking, or rotation of the two adjoining parts. Mechanic should know that. Don't allow him to cut larger grooves in the pipe, then it is worthless.
Sounds more like install error truthfully.
^ This.

Quote:
Theres a little groove that fits into the chargepipe on the intercooler and once it clicks then he puts the ring around it. How exactly does he twist that groove from the intercooler and throttle body?
Uh, what? You can't twist a groove, it's metal and it's a groove.
Imagine a pipe slipping over another pipe. You can't bend or change the angle that the pipe slips over one another, but you are able to rotate, yes? Rotating the entire piping (chargepipe) is what he's referring to, not making modifications to the groove in any way like what you're thinking or what your mechanic is trying to do.

Connect the chargepipe to the throttlebody first with everything else disconnected, then insert the clip to lock it down. Then work on fitting the lower and upper chargepipes into the silicone coupler. Without tightening the t-bolt clamps at the coupler, connect the lower chargepipe to the intercooler (rotating the lower pipe to mate with IC correctly then insert the clip to lock). Then you can work on tightening the clamps at the coupler. You'll have to mess with everything to get the right angle and length, but it should fit (unless you have aftermarket IC).
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2018, 12:39 PM   #15
designatedposter
Captain
Rep
Drives: m235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by cxp213 View Post
Quote:
the charge pipe at the TB end and the IC end clip into place, but they are able to rotate. C-clips are designed to keep a tight connection while allowing clocking, or rotation of the two adjoining parts. Mechanic should know that. Don't allow him to cut larger grooves in the pipe, then it is worthless.
Sounds more like install error truthfully.
^ This.

Quote:
Uh, what? You can't twist a groove, it's metal and it's a groove.
Imagine a pipe slipping over another pipe. You can't bend or change the angle that the pipe slips over one another, but you are able to rotate, yes? Rotating the entire piping (chargepipe) is what he's referring to, not making modifications to the groove in any way like what you're thinking or what your mechanic is trying to do.

Connect the chargepipe to the throttlebody first with everything else disconnected, then insert the clip to lock it down. Then work on fitting the lower and upper chargepipes into the silicone coupler. Without tightening the t-bolt clamps at the coupler, connect the lower chargepipe to the intercooler (rotating the lower pipe to mate with IC correctly then insert the clip to lock). Then you can work on tightening the clamps at the coupler. You'll have to mess with everything to get the right angle and length, but it should fit (unless you have aftermarket IC).
Yes, but thats the tip right there, leave the silicone coupler clamps very loose until you get the fitment you want by rotating at either end. Then tighten the clamps.

If you are having hard time rotating the pipe, some grease on the o ring at the tb end will do it. I don't recall needing grease at the intercooler end.
      06-19-2018, 08:47 AM   #16
MG///M_3713
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by frenchfry675 View Post
Your talking about a downpipe he's talking about the chargepipe from the intercooler to the throttle body.
FrenchFry - Yup, definitely wasn't paying enough attention here.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2018, 11:01 PM   #17
mcompact
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 M235i

Quote:
Yes. Like FrenchFry said, there is a "sweet spot". It's a tight fit, but doable.

If he cannot fix, take it somewhere else. Just don't let him cut it.
Exactly; the so-called "mechanic" sounds like a hack.
1999 Wrangler Sahara
1995 318ti Club Sport
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2019, 05:59 PM   #18
kegobass
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235i xDrive

Quote:
Hello guys so i ordered a vrsf chargepipe from mike at xtreme powerhouse and had it installed by my mechanic 2 days ago. The part took forever to install since my cars an xdrive (m235).

Ever since then when i try turning right at a good rotation the steering wheel feels like it locks in place and i have to pull it back to the left side to "unlock it".

I had a tech at where i work put it up on a hoist and it looks like the steering rack joint is rubbing the chargepipe and its all scrapped up on the coating of the pipe.

Wanted some insight as to fixing this because my mechanic says the parts garbage and the way it grooves doesnt fit the car properly.

Im taking it back to him tomorrow and hes gona see what he can do. Any tips as to fixing this? Wondering if anyone else had this issue
Same issue with turning to the right while braking with the VRSF CP rubbing against the steering rack. I had two independent and highly rated pro shops try to get it to work but no luck. The last shop said it was off by 1/2" so we had to put the OEM CP back in today.

I already have a thread going with Tiago @ VRSF about it but the part was ordered correctly (2016 M235i xDrive) but maybe they shipped the wrong one? I'm also assuming at least one of the two shops know their stuff to do the install correctly.
I know others haven't had any issues and some have so maybe I'm just one of the unlucky ones.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0