THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics N55 (M235i) Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Tuning Temperature management for tuned cars

06-01-2018, 12:52 PM   #23
DrJones
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2020 x3 m40i, Audi RS3

Quote:
Originally Posted by XutvJet View Post
An upgraded intercooler will help when you're driving the car hard and making long pulls. In daily driving though? Nope. Why? Because when you're sitting at lights and putting around at slow speeds and stop and go traffic, there's very little air moving through the induction piping and intercooler...
Thanks for the info. The next question is: which should come first, DP or FMIC, if someone is to only do one at a time? Consider only temperature reduction/management and not power. Ideally, installing both at the same time would be optimal.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2018, 05:43 AM   #24
Alfonso235i
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrJones View Post
Quote:
An upgraded intercooler will help when you're driving the car hard and making long pulls. In daily driving though? Nope. Why? Because when you're sitting at lights and putting around at slow speeds and stop and go traffic, there's very little air moving through the induction piping and intercooler...
Thanks for the info. The next question is: which should come first, DP or FMIC, if someone is to only do one at a time? Consider only temperature reduction/management and not power. Ideally, installing both at the same time would be optimal.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrJones View Post
Quote:
Dp for Sure! For both temperature management and power...
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2018, 11:11 AM   #25
kivyee
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2017 230ix Track Pack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Estoril6rod View Post
You're welcome!

Btw whoever told you a FMIC will not help with overall temps is a total ignorant! A tuned car and hell even a stock car exposed to high ambient temperatures should definitely receive an upgrade in the intercooling department! The high temperatures of turbo compressed air will need to be kept in check by a more robust intercooler to avoid the DME pulling back on power.
Not quite true as it depends on what temperatures you want to lower. I would say that this topic is talking about oil and coolant temps, which a FMIC will certainly NOT help.
1. It helps make more power I.e. higher engine temps
2. A larger fmic will impede airflow to the radiator to some degree, which also means higher engine temps

All else being equal, a larger FMIC will most likely increase you engine temps, so will a larger downpipe etc...All the power mods you listed will invariable increase and not decrease engine temps.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2018, 11:18 AM   #26
Jpup
Private
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i

To piggyback on some thoughts here:

Would the sport oil cooler valve have any practical benefit in helping decrease oil temps in a tuned car?

I guess a follow up question would be is it even needed at all or does the stock oil cooler do enough already?
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2018, 06:10 PM   #27
kivyee
Private First Class
Rep

From what I understand of it...it basically either shims or removes the oil thermostat. It doesn't actually increase the cooling capacity of the oil system at all. In situations where you have already reached the set thermostat temperature it won't offer any advantages. But in typical street driving where there's intermittent WOT scenarios the valve will let you start from a lower temperature and will allow you longer "heat generating activities" before you reach the same high temperatures. The downside is of course that you will spend longer warming up the car.

Bottom line is it doesn't help increase the cooling capacity of the car but in a street application might give you a few more pulls before the oil temp gets too high. (If that was the case before installation of the valve)
Appreciate 1
Jpup26.00
      06-19-2018, 11:42 AM   #28
BentZero
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 6MT Mineral White M235i

So, I'm confused. If all I'm ever doing is spirited street driving running on a stage 2 tune with a cp and dp do I need an upgraded fmic?

I'm also confused about the dp now. If smog testing isn't a concern what are the downsides of a catless dp? Smell? Is it a lot louder?

6MT Mineral White on black M235i coupe
Build thread
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2018, 11:56 AM   #29
Alfonso235i
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by BentZero View Post
So, I'm confused. If all I'm ever doing is spirited street driving running on a stage 2 tune with a cp and dp do I need an upgraded fmic?

I'm also confused about the dp now. If smog testing isn't a concern what are the downsides of a catless dp? Smell? Is it a lot louder?
It is slightly louder, honestly sometimes you can barely hear the difference. It sounds much nicer at WOT. There is also quite a bit more pops.
About the smell, there is definitely some smell, but unless you ride around with your windows open all day you will also rarely notice it.
As far as needing an intercooler that is subjective. Will it help keep your IAT lower on hard driving, yes it will. I imagine you will get more of a consistent temperature during hard pulls.
Appreciate 1
BentZero624.50
      06-19-2018, 05:00 PM   #30
kivyee
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BentZero View Post

A well designed fmic will cool the charge air and reduce the pressure drop across the intercooler - so it's good for making more power, and for doing it more consistently across a wider range of ambient temperatures and operating conditions. If you have ever experienced heat soak on your stock fmic, I.e..Car doesn't seem as powerful in subsequent back to back pulls, then you will certainly benefit from an upgraded fmic.
Appreciate 1
BentZero624.50