THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum Would love a breakdown on the engine compartment...

02-05-2018, 08:55 PM   #23
SteveInfante
NewFinishColumbia/detailer
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 F31 xDrive

As of yet I haven't seen any strut tower braces besides the one mentioned. The bracing that is in the picture is available from a few different sources.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2018, 11:22 PM   #24
XutvJet
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2011 Cayman Base, 2016 M235

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveInfante View Post
And something I just noticed about the posted engine bay picture is the bracing. That is the bracing from the vert. I plan on getting that for my coupe at some time.
Won't work. The bracing, which is used on the convertible and M2, has a mounting bracket welded to the front of the strut tower whereas the other 2 series models do not.

As for strut tower braces, there are OEM strut tower bars that tie into the center of the firewall. They're under the plastic panels.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2018, 12:19 PM   #25
Quicksilver_M235
Marshal Of The State
Rep
Drives: 15' Silver Metallic M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by XutvJet View Post
As for strut tower braces, there are OEM strut tower bars that tie into the center of the firewall. They're under the plastic panels.
Excellent! I was wondering about that. Got so much plastic under the hood, you can't even see the functional pieces
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2018, 02:22 PM   #26
Maynard
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 228iX & M2C

Somebody also markets a more traditional strut-tower brace, but I DK who (AEM?). If you do a site-search you will find pics/description. I hear these are getting less and less helpful as the OEM's build in more rigidity, so there may be better places to spend your money.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2018, 02:34 PM   #27
XutvJet
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maynard View Post
Somebody also markets a more traditional strut-tower brace, but I DK who (AEM?). If you do a site-search you will find pics/description. I hear these are getting less and less helpful as the OEM's build in more rigidity, so there may be better places to spend your money.
Agreed, especially since the shock towers are already tied to the firewall with bracing which is far more effective than simply linking the shock towers together.

I'd love to run that extra OEM bracing that the M2 and convertibles have. Too bad no one is making an aftermarket brace with a similar design and simply just bolts onto the shock tower via one of the shock bolts. It would be damn simple metal plate/water jet work to do it.
      02-06-2018, 03:12 PM   #28
Maynard
Colonel
United_States
Rep

OK, had to check, here is the link I remembered on the strut bars (http://www.2addicts.com/forums/showt...ut+tower+brace). From how they bolt to the towers, if you were able to do custom cut pieces, I'd think you could extend the rearward point and bolt that on as well (just behind where it welds on).
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2018, 03:49 PM   #29
XutvJet
Major General
Rep

^Agreed.

Someone needs to tell ECS Tuning that this OEM brace setup is NOT bolt-on for non-M2 and convertible cars. https://www.ecstuning.com/b-assemble...51647294928kt/
      02-06-2018, 04:39 PM   #30
zipstic
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 e92 335xi

Garage List
2008 335xi Coupe  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erebus View Post
P912guy
What is that large white resevoir I see on the right?
Coolant tank. If you ever need to add any, make sure it's the BMW approved mix otherwise it can cause damage. BMW's are know for coolant disappearing in very cold temperatures, but it appears you're in the southwest and shouldn't have to worry about that.
      02-06-2018, 04:44 PM   #31
SteveInfante
United_States
Rep

Yeah, for sure doesn't have the connection point for the towers. Everything else would work though.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2018, 07:37 AM   #32
Maynard
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Interesting though that they also show the back tray as part of this kit - wonder if that is also heavy duty on the Verts (and if it would transfer over). More academic than realistic for me - these feel pretty tank-like already so I haven't been feeling that I need a lot of extra rigidity.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2018, 11:13 AM   #33
SteveInfante
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maynard View Post
Interesting though that they also show the back tray as part of this kit - wonder if that is also heavy duty on the Verts (and if it would transfer over). More academic than realistic for me - these feel pretty tank-like already so I haven't been feeling that I need a lot of extra rigidity.
That is the forward support that is above the radiator.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2018, 01:24 PM   #34
tripitz
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Porsche 911 4S

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveInfante View Post
I've found that tinkering with this car has been fun and still enjoyable. I've done a bunch of little things here and there maintaining it for the last 68+k miles. I grew up turning wrenches on muscle cars from the 70's with my dad. Do your research and get the right tools.

Engine oil changes are easy ( 10mm torx for the composite drain pan plug and get a filter housing wrench)
Spark plug changes are easy with the right socket
Coil packs are easy to remove
Air filters are straight forward (cabin filter is in the underside of the passenger dash panel)
Brakes are easy ( I'm about to do rotors/pads/fluid/wear sensors/stainless lines)
Suspension is pretty straight forward ( I'm about to do Koni yellow/H&R lowering springs)

Welcome.
Agree! It looks about the same as working on the old E36 M3 I have... Most seems pretty straightforward once you know what it is and where it is located. Most of the principles for more widely supported cars on the DIY front look like they apply here as well.
Appreciate 1
      02-08-2018, 11:26 AM   #35
Quicksilver_M235
Marshal Of The State
Rep
Drives: 15' Silver Metallic M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by zipstic View Post
Coolant tank. If you ever need to add any, make sure it's the BMW approved mix otherwise it can cause damage. BMW's are know for coolant disappearing in very cold temperatures, but it appears you're in the southwest and shouldn't have to worry about that.
Yeah, that's what I figured, but with all these new fangled items I'm now being made aware of (no dipstick, lifetime fluids-no changing, etc.) figured I'd get some verification just to be sure.

May I just say, that whilst I would be thrilled to get my kiester into a 235, when you consider the bench seat from whence it originally came, the 228 is literally like going from a Yugo to Corvette for me

Last edited by Quicksilver_M235; 02-08-2018 at 03:32 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2018, 06:15 PM   #36
Rayscott
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW 228ix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erebus View Post
Yeah, that's what I figured, but with all these new fangled items I'm now being made aware of (no dipstick, lifetime fluids-no changing, etc.) figured I'd get some verification just to be sure.

May I just say, that whilst I would be thrilled to get my kiester into a 235, when you consider the bench seat from whence it originally came, the 228 is literally like going from a Yugo to Corvette for me
Yeah, I have the BMW coolant on my garage shelf.
Appreciate 0