THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum Tired of paying $350 for these pirelli run flats!!

06-08-2018, 10:28 AM   #45
Rayscott
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW 228ix

Quote:
Originally Posted by morphomeman View Post
Unlike almost everyone on this thread, I LOVE RUN FLAT TIRES. What you need is tire and wheel insurance. I have had two flats from potholes and several incidents of kerb rash in a bit over 3 years with this car. The dealer has replaced the tires and fixed the kerb rash with no questions asked.
I am too old to be jacking up this car and fiddling with wheels. RUN FLATS FOREVER!!
As for handling, I challenge anyone to see if they can reliably tell the difference in a blind test on a regular road (not the track). Maybe the princess from the princess and the pea could.
I have tire and wheel insurance. My dealer charged me for kerb rash. WTF.
Gotta pull it out and see if I can get reimbursed.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2018, 02:24 PM   #46
Ron Jeffries
Old Member. Old in general, actually.
Rep
Drives: 2018 M240i xDrive convertible

I'm pretty sure I can feel the difference between my 135is run flats and my winter run flats, and my summer tires. I wouldn't bet big money on it.

I'm going to keep the non run flats but when they wear out, as they surely quickly will, I suspect I'll go for a run flat next time, maybe even a high performance all weather, as it gets wet here more often than one might like. Will continue with real winter tires/wheels as well.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2018, 07:01 PM   #47
DaleHeinz
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M240Xi Estoril Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by morellomax View Post
"As for handling, I challenge anyone to see if they can reliably tell the difference in a blind test on a regular road (not the track). Maybe the princess from the princess and the pea could"

Or maybe the engineers in M division, since they still spec non-runflats on all M cars ?.....
Absolutely. There was a distinct and improved difference when I dumped the Pirelli run flats that were OEM and I went with Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+. I tend to drive with some spirit when conditions allow, and I've always sided with conventional A/S or performance tires over the hard and unresponsive run flats. A daily driver to some won't make a difference, but to those of us with experience and skill, it makes a world of difference, especially when you're pushing the limits of the car. I saw drastic improvements in wet conditions alone when I mad the swap.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2018, 12:23 AM   #48
mr_clueless
Private
Rep
Drives: Acura RDX

is bridgestone driveguard available for your car? they are all seasons rft and they last a long time -- at least 35k miles with moderate-aggressive driving. i paid $801 for my most recent set installed.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2018, 08:14 AM   #49
FSociety
IG @bmwF9xG80
Rep
Drives: G80 M3, X4M, G07 X7m50

Garage List
2023 BMW G80 M3  [0.00]
2020 BMW X4MC  [0.00]
16' BMW X4 M40i  [10.00]
06 Cadillac STS  [0.00]
Michelin Pilot Sport AS 3+
Continental ExtremeContact DWS06

Better than all RunFlats put together and will serve its purpose for daily drivers in all weather conditions. Having experience with both of these and its predecessor as well as those AWFUL RFT.

IG: @bmwF9XG80

Appreciate 0
      06-15-2018, 08:24 AM   #50
wdc330i
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '22 M440xi GC

Quote:
Originally Posted by FSociety View Post
I have these on my 2 and love them. Better than the Michelin PSS.
'22 M440xi GC (BSM/Tacora) Previous: 2017 M240i Convertible; 2016 X5 50i; 2017 Boxster 718s; 2012 328iT Sport; 2009 X5 3.0; 2006 M3C; 2006 530xiT; 2003 325xiT; 2002 330i Sport; 2001 Z3 2.5; 2001 330i.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2018, 09:20 AM   #51
BEM-S4
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Dinan M235, Dinan Sport Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdc330i View Post
Quote:
They are great tires
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2018, 05:10 PM   #52
babaikram
M6GCComp, Porsche Cayman S PDK, Peug 208 GT1 BPS
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: .

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEM-S4 View Post
Quote:
Quote:
They are great tires
However they make a lot of road noise
      06-16-2018, 06:36 PM   #53
Dylan86
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: F15d msport, F22 m235i

Quote:
In the rain, yes. Dry traction, down on grip, but most wouldn't see the difference. I pushed hard on AS3's on my old GTI before getting PSS's to replace them. The PSS's had noticeably higher dry grip at the limits than the AS3's, but definitely down on wet grip, which is more important for most DD owners I'd imagine.. I always recommend the AS3's to the locals who want the best bang for buck performance tire, they've always come back raving!
      06-16-2018, 06:44 PM   #54
BEM-S4
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Dinan M235, Dinan Sport Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylan86 View Post
Quote:
In the rain, yes. Dry traction, down on grip, but most wouldn't see the difference. I pushed hard on AS3's on my old GTI before getting PSS's to replace them. The PSS's had noticeably higher dry grip at the limits than the AS3's, but definitely down on wet grip, which is more important for most DD owners I'd imagine.. I always recommend the AS3's to the locals who want the best bang for buck performance tire, they've always come back raving!
Yes better is a relative term I should have appropriately qualified but yes to your point they're much better for a DD tire w roads by me at various times of year. Anything higher performance would be like paying for 8" of pussy when you've got 4" of dick.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2018, 07:12 PM   #55
Dylan86
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: F15d msport, F22 m235i

Quote:
Anything higher performance would be like paying for 8" of pussy when you've got 4" of dick.
Pretty much
      06-18-2018, 07:23 PM   #56
DaleHeinz
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M240Xi Estoril Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by babaikram View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
They are great tires
However they make a lot of road noise
That they do. I've tried to grow accustomed to it, but some days that's all I hear unless I crank the stereo. That's my only complaint about these tires. Dry, wet, and snow traction are every bit as good as claimed. I guess not all great things come without at least some detraction.
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2018, 03:16 PM   #57
Shatzbot10
Rep
Drives: 228i '16 silver

Very newbie here: I have a question re: 228i (normal) front tires beginning to show uneven wear on outsides. Rotate? Or not. (Non-Run Flat tires)

Also: What torque used for tire bolts?

Thanks

Last edited by Shatzbot10; 09-28-2018 at 03:20 PM.. Reason: Added “Non-Run Flat” for clarification.
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2018, 04:55 PM   #58
aerobod
Car Geek
Rep
Drives: Caterham R500, M2-G87, Macan S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shatzbot10 View Post
Very newbie here: I have a question re: 228i (normal) front tires beginning to show uneven wear on outsides. Rotate? Or not. (Non-Run Flat tires)

Also: What torque used for tire bolts?

Thanks
Aggressive cornering will wear the front tyre outer tread more than the rest, if it isn't too bad and the back tyres are the same size, rotation (front to back swap on the same side) will help to even out the wear, although there is a possibility of increased tyre noise due to the wear pattern after rotation.

Bolt torque is 140 Nm (103 lbft).
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2018, 04:24 PM   #59
keldunwoody
2017 red m240 convertible
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 m240 red convertible

Be sure to drive at high speed if you change

I got regular tires on my 135 instead of run flats. They were totally fine until I drove 70 mph. Then my car wobbled side to side as if I was behind a tractor trailer. The tire dealer replaced them for free w run flats. I’m sorry, I can’t remember the make of the tires. But if you switch, I definitely recommend getting out on the highway sooner rather than later in case you have the same issue.
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2018, 06:30 PM   #60
P2
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 i4 M-Sport eDrive 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by keldunwoody View Post
I got regular tires on my 135 instead of run flats. They were totally fine until I drove 70 mph. Then my car wobbled side to side as if I was behind a tractor trailer. The tire dealer replaced them for free w run flats. I’m sorry, I can’t remember the make of the tires. But if you switch, I definitely recommend getting out on the highway sooner rather than later in case you have the same issue.
Was the car following the grooves in the road? It's called tramlining. I had none with RFTs. I switched to MPSS and have found that there is moderate tramlining on our grooved Tollway's. It's very unpopular with my passengers. Annoying for the driver. Disappointing and aggravating for the owner, which is me.
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2018, 08:55 PM   #61
keldunwoody
United_States
Rep

Nope, it wasn’t. I had to drive all the way from Georgia to South Carolina with it doing the back and forth. Had a death grip on the wheel. It could’ve been just that particular tire but we heard afterwards that it was a problem with using standard tires on a car designed for run flat. Thought I should mention it...some people might not get on the interstate for months when it’s too late.
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2018, 09:03 PM   #62
Rosseau
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M240i xdrive

Already posted how BMW highly frowns on replacing RFTs with non-OEMs. But tons of people have probably done this. Yes, could have been tire, or specific to 135, or both.

What are you running in your m240i?
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2018, 09:13 PM   #63
aerobod
Car Geek
Rep

Quote:
Nope, it wasn’t. I had to drive all the way from Georgia to South Carolina with it doing the back and forth. Had a death grip on the wheel. It could’ve been just that particular tire but we heard afterwards that it was a problem with using standard tires on a car designed for run flat. Thought I should mention it...some people might not get on the interstate for months when it’s too late.
Standard tyres are a factory option on the same cars that have run flats on too, there are no other changes other than the tyres. Low profile wide tyres with a flatter tread and stiffer sidewall are more likely to tramline compared with whether the tyre is run flat or not, a high performance summer tyre will likely tramline more than an all-season.

A death grip on the wheel and incorrect tyre pressure will cause the car to move around more, as you are constantly correcting out of phase with the tyre movement. A relaxed grip allowing the tyres to move a little without over correction tends to let the car track straighter, you just tend to feel the steering weight continually changing and telegraphing the road irregularities, as opposed to continually over correcting to the feedback.
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2018, 03:02 AM   #64
Rosseau
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M240i xdrive

"Standard tyres are a factory option on the same cars that have run flats on too,"

Yep, didn't think of that...
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2018, 04:22 PM   #65
keldunwoody
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerobod View Post
Standard tyres are a factory option on the same cars that have run flats on too, there are no other changes other than the tyres. Low profile wide tyres with a flatter tread and stiffer sidewall are more likely to tramline compared with whether the tyre is run flat or not, a high performance summer tyre will likely tramline more than an all-season.

A death grip on the wheel and incorrect tyre pressure will cause the car to move around more, as you are constantly correcting out of phase with the tyre movement. A relaxed grip allowing the tyres to move a little without over correction tends to let the car track straighter, you just tend to feel the steering weight continually changing and telegraphing the road irregularities, as opposed to continually over correcting to the feedback.

I didn’t mean to start a conversation about which tires are best or how best to drive. All I know is I wished I’d done a trial run at high speed before I set off on a lengthy trip, so I thought a “heads up” might be appreciated. I never had trouble once I had run flats back on the car and the tire dealer agreed it was a problem with the tires, not inflation or driver error. I don’t know what I have on 240 - whatever came from the dealer 😃 Obviously I don’t know all that much about cars, or tires, just that I like to drive fun cars.
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2018, 05:18 PM   #66
aerobod
Car Geek
Rep

Quote:
I didn’t mean to start a conversation about which tires are best or how best to drive. All I know is I wished I’d done a trial run at high speed before I set off on a lengthy trip, so I thought a “heads up” might be appreciated. I never had trouble once I had run flats back on the car and the tire dealer agreed it was a problem with the tires, not inflation or driver error. I don’t know what I have on 240 - whatever came from the dealer �� Obviously I don’t know all that much about cars, or tires, just that I like to drive fun cars.
When you stated "we heard afterwards that it was a problem with using standard tires on a car designed for run flat", the person who made that statement didn't know what they were talking about. BMW sells the same cars with run-flat and non run-flat tyres on the same wheels sizes with the same tyre sizes and without any other suspension changes. The E82 135i when it was sold outside North America and the 2-series around the world and many other BMWs have both tyre options (SUVs being more limited in this respect).

A bad tyre could cause pull that you may have experienced, but it wouldn't be due to run-flat vs non run-flat. Tramlining as a characteristic can happen with any wide low profile tyre, irrespective of it's design. I expect the tyre dealer was happy to sell a set of tyres as opposed to getting to the root of the problem.

It is just false information that the current cars are designed or engineered specifically for run flats.

I'm glad you don't have the problem now, but if you want the best performance out of any sports car in the future, run flats and/or all-season tyres will be inferior to pure non run-flat summer tyres for non-winter use.
Appreciate 0