THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum Heavy rain after installing spoiler

01-26-2018, 12:10 AM   #1
2 Lover
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2017 F22 230i xDrive

Heavy rain after installing spoiler

I installed after market carbon spoiler with 3M double sided tape on my 230i the day before yesterday.
I didn’t take her out from underground parking lot for maybe 36 hours after installing.
But I gotta go to work today, and parked outside and there have been heavy rain all day long today, so I am just worrying it is gonna fall off soon because it has been wet all day like 13 hours..
Do you guys have any experience like me?
Do I have to take it off and reinstall it?
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2018, 06:21 AM   #2
JerryW235
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X7 40i; 2021 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 Lover View Post
I installed after market carbon spoiler with 3M double sided tape on my 230i the day before yesterday.
I didn’t take her out from underground parking lot for maybe 36 hours after installing.
But I gotta go to work today, and parked outside and there have been heavy rain all day long today, so I am just worrying it is gonna fall off soon because it has been wet all day like 13 hours..
Do you guys have any experience like me?
Do I have to take it off and reinstall it?
You should be fine, depending on which 3M tape was used, there are different strengths and types. As long as it was a heavy duty exterior use tape, and the surface it was attached to was clean and dry, there should not be a problem. The stronger double sided tapes are usually thinner, look more solid, black or very dark brown in color, and have a red release tape. This is usually the type used for automotive trim. Just stay away from the thicker, white tape with a white or printed release tape, that looks a little "foamy".
      01-26-2018, 08:35 AM   #3
Sportstick
Major General
Rep
Drives: '15 228i and '24 X3 sDrive30i

Tape alone is popular for attaching spoilers because it's easier and cheaper. But, it also has more potential for failure than the more secure method used by many body shops and also contemplated by BMW with this product - a tube of urethane, similar to what is used to retain windshield glass. It should be installed and "blue taped" for 24 hours with no body motion. I've only ever attached body parts like a spoiler with urethane. Imagine if a spoiler comes loose at highway speeds, about the level of the head of the guy behind you, and it's your liability.

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-...82699408866kt/

This post will likely be followed by comments that tape is fine and always worked for "them". Most of these same people will have homeowner's insurance even though their house has never burned down...yet.
2015 228i 6MT/Track Handling/Tech/Cold/Premium/Lighting/Driver Assistance/KCDesign Strut Brace/M2 LCAs/Rogue SSK/BBS SR/PS4S/ER Chargepipe/AA Intercooler/Dinan Shockware/MPerformance Spoiler/Black Grilles/Xpel Ultimate PPF & Prime XR+ Tint/Adam's Ceramic/no CDV
2024 X3 sDrive30i/MSport/Premium/Dynamic Handling/Shadowline/Parking/Xpel Prime XR Plus/Weathertech Cargo Liner
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2018, 09:21 AM   #4
BEM-S4
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Dinan M235, Dinan Sport Wagon

Just don't drive through a flooded street - those are always a big problem in Canada and cause massive amounts of BMW damage.
Appreciate 1
wiggy1.50
      01-26-2018, 09:56 AM   #5
duluthtwo
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17 m240i

I've never understood why these aftermarket spoiler guys havn't designed a spoiler that fits over the existing spoiler and attaches with screws
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2018, 12:24 PM   #6
Rony316
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: M235i XDrive Convertible

OP. I installed my spoiler with 3M tape, pressed it down firmly and immediately took it out in the rain at > highway speeds. It has lasted another 4 months so far. If done properly on clean, grease free paint, it shouldn't budge
      01-26-2018, 10:39 PM   #7
xantdieselx
Kingslayer
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 23' M3 Base

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportstick View Post
Tape alone is popular for attaching spoilers because it's easier and cheaper. But, it also has more potential for failure than the more secure method used by many body shops and also contemplated by BMW with this product - a tube of urethane, similar to what is used to retain windshield glass. It should be installed and "blue taped" for 24 hours with no body motion. I've only ever attached body parts like a spoiler with urethane. Imagine if a spoiler comes loose at highway speeds, about the level of the head of the guy behind you, and it's your liability.

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-...82699408866kt/

This post will likely be followed by comments that tape is fine and always worked for "them". Most of these same people will have homeowner's insurance even though their house has never burned down...yet.
Isn't the OEM spoiler taped on from the factory?

Previous Cars: 2008' 135i, 2010' 328i, 2013' 328i, 2016' M235i, 2017' X1, 2019' M240i
Current Cars: 2019' X3, 2021' M3 Comp
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2018, 11:39 PM   #8
Sportstick
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by xantdieselx View Post
Having spent a career in an automaker, the facilities/environment/process in an assembly plant cannot be duplicated in your garage/driveway. The temperature of the receiving surface as well as the part to be applied, the surface preparation, and amount and duration and constancy of pressure across the part, the receptivity of the "fresh" paint to bind with the adhesive, are all specified and controlled. Of course, I can also remember when we had to contain a yardfull of vehicles at the plant (and locate/halt others which were in shipping) because the adhesive on the bodyside molding was improperly managed and the moldings were peeling away from the surface. For that failure, at least they were softer parts located on the lower body side. For a rear deck spoiler in the aftermarket, the urethane is far more robust, although it does incur more cost and is a more complex process. The question is the quality of the result one wishes to achieve.
2015 228i 6MT/Track Handling/Tech/Cold/Premium/Lighting/Driver Assistance/KCDesign Strut Brace/M2 LCAs/Rogue SSK/BBS SR/PS4S/ER Chargepipe/AA Intercooler/Dinan Shockware/MPerformance Spoiler/Black Grilles/Xpel Ultimate PPF & Prime XR+ Tint/Adam's Ceramic/no CDV
2024 X3 sDrive30i/MSport/Premium/Dynamic Handling/Shadowline/Parking/Xpel Prime XR Plus/Weathertech Cargo Liner

Last edited by Sportstick; 01-26-2018 at 11:45 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2018, 07:39 AM   #9
Rayscott
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW 228ix

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEM-S4 View Post
Just don't drive through a flooded street - those are always a big problem in Canada and cause massive amounts of BMW damage.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2018, 11:42 AM   #10
xantdieselx
Kingslayer
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 23' M3 Base

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportstick View Post
Quote:
Having spent a career in an automaker, the facilities/environment/process in an assembly plant cannot be duplicated in your garage/driveway. The temperature of the receiving surface as well as the part to be applied, the surface preparation, and amount and duration and constancy of pressure across the part, the receptivity of the "fresh" paint to bind with the adhesive, are all specified and controlled. Of course, I can also remember when we had to contain a yardfull of vehicles at the plant (and locate/halt others which were in shipping) because the adhesive on the bodyside molding was improperly managed and the moldings were peeling away from the surface. For that failure, at least they were softer parts located on the lower body side. For a rear deck spoiler in the aftermarket, the urethane is far more robust, although it does incur more cost and is a more complex process. The question is the quality of the result one wishes to achieve.
So the answer is yes. 3M makes an adhesion promoter wipe specifically for their double sided tape which is for use with plastic parts.

https://lmr.com/item/3M-06396K/3M-Ad...ble-Sided-Tape

Previous Cars: 2008' 135i, 2010' 328i, 2013' 328i, 2016' M235i, 2017' X1, 2019' M240i
Current Cars: 2019' X3, 2021' M3 Comp
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2018, 01:34 PM   #11
Sportstick
Major General
Rep

Quote:
So the answer is yes. 3M makes an adhesion promoter wipe specifically for their double sided tape which is for use with plastic parts.

https://lmr.com/item/3M-06396K/3M-Ad...ble-Sided-Tape
The simple answer is yes, but there are more factors to consider, as noted above...part and surface temperature, degree and duration of pressure. One could say that paint is applied in the plant with a spray, but a can of aftermarket spray paint doesn't quite yield the same result in the driveway, even though they are both sprays. The conditions in the plant are the result of significant testing and validation, and then tight control to achieve a uniform process.

There really is no debate here. If one believes tape is "good enough", that is a personal risk assessment decision we are all free to make, hopefully being fully informed. But, if someone suggests tape has the equivalent robustness as an adhesive as urethane, that would be incorrect.
Appreciate 0