THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum Rear end accident advice - not at fault rental car

06-27-2018, 03:44 PM   #23
blitzjb
Private
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW 230i Convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by chois2 View Post
So my insurer Geico is asking if I want to file the claim through them, pay the deductable and get rental which they will in turn go after the other guys insurance for reimbursement since I was not at fault.

Or I can go through the other guys insurance myself.

Thoughts? Will my premium go up if I go through my own insurance?
It is 100% the other parties fault. You should not have reported it to your carrier. If Progressive gives you a hard time, tell them your back hurts.
Any reported claim is an "incident"...
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2018, 11:49 AM   #24
IndyRed128i
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW 230I(Red)

Quote:
Originally Posted by chois2 View Post
I was stopped at a local road train traffic when some kid in a Jeep Grand Cherokee hit me from behind. It's been a long time since I've been in any sort of car accident so if felt pretty hard but apparently he just let his foot off the brake and rolled into me. My son was in the back in his booster seat so luckily it was nothing serious.

It's obvious that it's the other guys fault and the police report states that. Other driver was very apologetic since my kid was in the car.

Police officer asked me if I really wanted to get a report done since damage looked to be under $500.. I said no way that's under $500. (Got an estimate done right after and quoted $2500)

Anyway my question is since the other guys insurance (progressive) should be paying for my rental for about a week, how is this usually handled? My car is an m240i convertible. What would be considered comparable?
Coming from an insurance backround this is my perspective:

Since a police report was filed and a claim was filled, the accident will still show up for both parties under ISO(think of that as like an insurance credit report).

With that being said, OP was clearly not at fault, so it will show as a not at fault accident, and OP’s insurance company will be able to recover all damages from the other parties carrier, so therefore, rates should not be affected. As long as the other party accepts liability quickly, GIECO will most likely waive your deductible as well.....plus you get to your your better rental coverage.

Btw, assuming its just the rear bumper cover, $2,500 seems pretty high. Is there other damage besides that?
Appreciate 0