THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics N55 (M235i) Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Tuning Tune Recommendation for my Mods?

06-27-2016, 10:35 AM   #1
crbalch
The Schwab
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 AW M340xi

Garage List
2017 BMW X1  [0.00]
2016 BMW M235xi  [0.00]
Tune Recommendation for my Mods?

I am currently running the following power/mod setup:
- BMS Stage 1
- Fabspeed Sport Cat Downpipe
- aFe Magnum Force Intake

I am loving the power that I am putting down so far, but I am noticing that the BMS Stage 1 lags a bit too much from a stop for me. With that in mind, I am curious as to what recommendations you all might have for me.

Things to consider:
1) Want to get rid of 0-60 lag of the Stage 1
2) I do not get a CEL with my DP so I don't NEED the code clearing of the JB4 necessarily
3) I do not plan on doing anything else outside of these mods from a power perspective
4) Price under $800 is ideal (no Dinan essentially)

Appreciate any input!
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2016, 04:33 PM   #2
Luminous
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2019 M5 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by crbalch
- BMS Stage 1

I am loving the power that I am putting down so far, but I am noticing that the BMS Stage 1 lags a bit too much from a stop for me. With that in mind, I am curious as to what recommendations you all might have for me.

Things to consider:
2) I do not get a CEL with my DP so I don't NEED the code clearing of the JB4 necessarily
3) I do not plan on doing anything else outside of these mods from a power perspective

Appreciate any input!
If you want to stick to a piggyback I would recommend the racechip ultimate or jb4. The racechip is very plug and play, it only has two or three connectors and can be installed/removed in literally just a few minutes. It does provide a simple way of adjusting boost but is very plug and play. The jb4 is a bit more complex but has loads more features and settings and can require some tinkering to fine tune. If you want to "set it and forget it" I'd go with racechip.

That being said if you're willing to increase your budget slightly I would really recommend an ecu tune over a piggyback any day. I've had great experiences with Enzo Performance in NY but I've also heard great things about Mission and other west coast tuners.

2015 SO M3 6MT

2015 BSM M235xi
Appreciate 2
      06-27-2016, 04:36 PM   #3
crbalch
The Schwab
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2017 BMW X1  [0.00]
2016 BMW M235xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luminous
Quote:
- BMS Stage 1

Things to consider:

Appreciate any input!
If you want to stick to a piggyback I would recommend the racechip ultimate or jb4. The racechip is very plug and play, it only has two or three connectors and can be installed removed in literally just a few minutes. It does have a few different settings but is very plug and play. The jb4 is a bit more complex but has loads more features and settings and can require some tinkering to fine tune. If you want to "set it and forget it" I'd go with racechip.

That being said if you're willing to increase your budget slightly I would really recommend an ecu tune over a piggyback any day. I've had great experiences with Enzo Performance in NY but I've also heard great things about Mission and other west coast tuners.
Appreciate the response!

I would kill to do the Enzo, just the effort of removing my ecu and sending to them has me a bit put off. If I still lived in CT I would easily go there and do it but it's harder being in Chicago.

I haven't done much research into the racechip so ill definitely take a look into that.

Any particular reason you'd recommend the racechip over the JB4? Other than installation?
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2016, 05:02 PM   #4
BentZero
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 6MT Mineral White M235i

I'd seriously consider a charge pipe of you're gonna do anything other than map 1 with the jb4.

6MT Mineral White on black M235i coupe
Build thread
Appreciate 1
      06-27-2016, 05:04 PM   #5
crbalch
The Schwab
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2017 BMW X1  [0.00]
2016 BMW M235xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentZero View Post
I'd seriously consider a charge pipe of you're gonna do anything other than map 1 with the jb4.
Ha yeah I'll eventually do one, probably just wait until the stock one breaks!

I have a motorcycle as a backup in case she needs to be out a few days haha
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2016, 05:10 PM   #6
BentZero
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 6MT Mineral White M235i

You should get the AA8 and then report back lol. That's the one I want.

6MT Mineral White on black M235i coupe
Build thread
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2016, 01:15 PM   #7
kdog26372
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235xi BSM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FSociety View Post
+1
- RaceChip for the best plug'n'play tune
- JB4 if you're looking to have other mods (DP, E85 usage, Meth or Port Injection)
- ECU Flash over piggyback for all the reasons (Enzo, EuroDynamic/CBTuning, BrenTuning, Mission,) to name some popular ones
I disagree on the RaceChip as it's the same price as the AA8 tune yet it only has 2 wires so same boost across RPM band, it is a pain to adjust the dial on the tune as it's internal and you have to take out 8 tiny screws each time and the mount location is in the hot engine bay rather than mounting to an existing bolt under a cover in the engine bay. You'd pay the same for the RC as the AA8, yet you'd get less in return. Also, they are out of Germany and from what I've read on the forums they have pretty horrible customer service.
      06-28-2016, 01:20 PM   #8
crbalch
The Schwab
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2017 BMW X1  [0.00]
2016 BMW M235xi  [0.00]
I think I am going to end up with the Enzo flash route.

I figure it'll cost me a bit more upfront, but I won't have to deal with the nuances of a piggyback. Everything I've read about Enzo is positive, and just in speaking to them over the phone they sound extremely intelligent/were overly helpful in figuring out my best path.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2016, 01:22 PM   #9
crbalch
The Schwab
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2017 BMW X1  [0.00]
2016 BMW M235xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luminous View Post
If you want to stick to a piggyback I would recommend the racechip ultimate or jb4. The racechip is very plug and play, it only has two or three connectors and can be installed/removed in literally just a few minutes. It does provide a simple way of adjusting boost but is very plug and play. The jb4 is a bit more complex but has loads more features and settings and can require some tinkering to fine tune. If you want to "set it and forget it" I'd go with racechip.

Did you end up doing the JB4 stacked Enzo tune, or just the Enzo tune?
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2016, 01:52 PM   #10
Luminous
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Did you end up doing the JB4 stacked Enzo tune, or just the Enzo tune?
If you plan on sticking with the stock turbo I would recommend just getting the flash. The only reason I ended up stacking the jb4 was because of the pure stage 2.

I've personally tested Dinan stage 1, Racechip, Manhart, Jb4 and the Enzo flash, I'm positive you'll be very happy with the Enzo tune.

Edit: I would recommend upgrading your chargepipe for peace of mind.

2015 SO M3 6MT

2015 BSM M235xi
Appreciate 2
      06-28-2016, 02:42 PM   #11
crbalch
The Schwab
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2017 BMW X1  [0.00]
2016 BMW M235xi  [0.00]
Quote:
If you plan on sticking with the stock turbo I would recommend just getting the flash. The only reason I ended up stacking the jb4 was because of the pure stage 2.

I've personally tested Dinan stage 1, Racechip, Manhart, Jb4 and the Enzo flash, I'm positive you'll be very happy with the Enzo tune.

Edit: I would recommend upgrading your chargepipe for peace of mind.
Nice thanks for the info. I will probably just do the flash then. Regarding the charge pipe, its on the list, but not the top right now. I am sure I will regret that at some point, but I plan on playing the odds for now haha.
Appreciate 1
      06-28-2016, 03:00 PM   #12
kdog26372
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235xi BSM

Would be nice to have a local Chicago driver with the Enzo flash. Perhaps we can meet up sometime after you get that done. We have the same mods and same xdrive so I'd like to compare/contrast that with the tune I've got and see if the flash is as good as people are reporting. Maybe a trip to the drag strip.

Does Enzo have a local shop that can take out the ECU, ship it and put it back in, or is all of that up to you?
      06-28-2016, 03:01 PM   #13
crbalch
The Schwab
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2017 BMW X1  [0.00]
2016 BMW M235xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdog26372 View Post
Would be nice to have a local Chicago driver with the Enzo flash. Perhaps we can meet up sometime after you get that done. We have the same mods and same xdrive so I'd like to compare/contrast that with the tune I've got and see if the flash is as good as people are reporting. Maybe a trip to the drag strip.

Does Enzo have a local shop that can take out the ECU, ship it and put it back in, or is all of that up to you?
They have an authorized dealer in GTHAUS, so I would probably work with them to do the ECU. Otherwise I may give it a shot myself.

Definitely keep you posted on what I decide!
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2016, 04:25 PM   #14
cryptocar
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 13' F30 385xi VNV Speed Custom

Garage List
Quote:

dd1981 Is based just outside of Chicago and let me test his Enzo tune last fall, I was very impressed. I am also in the Chicago area and have an ACF tune and am also now an ACF dealer. Reach out to either of us via PM if you'd like to see what our cars can do.
13' 335xi, ACF Tuned, ACF Stage 3 Turbo Kit (67mm),PDU PI, ACF Stage 4 LPFP, M-Perf Brakes, AEM CM10 Meth/Nitro, CG DR-1 + VS-1 3.5" Turboback, AFe S2 CAI+Ram Scoop, ER Chargepipe, Wagner EVOII Comp. FMIC, Stop-Tech SS Brake Lines, BMS Sport Oil Cooler Valve+Spacers F10mm R15mm, 19" Bridgestone Potenzas, KW EDC Coilovers, CF Seibon Hood + CSL trunk. Track:Pagid Race Pads, Stop-Tech Custom Pads Front+Rear Racing Tow Hooks
Appreciate 2
      06-28-2016, 06:03 PM   #15
DfVgyCjmFQnu
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 m235i Auto Coupe

Quote:
I disagree on the RaceChip as it's the same price as the AA8 tune yet it only has 2 wires so same boost across RPM band, it is a pain to adjust the dial on the tune as it's internal and you have to take out 8 tiny screws each time and the mount location is in the hot engine bay rather than mounting to an existing bolt under a cover in the engine bay. You'd pay the same for the RC as the AA8, yet you'd get less in return. Also, they are out of Germany and from what I've read on the forums they have pretty horrible customer service.
the AA8 is very difficult to install/uninstall due to location of one of its sensor plugs. I think it is an excellent piggyback but really not easy to take on and off.
Appreciate 1
      06-28-2016, 07:12 PM   #16
Michall
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 15 M235i

I am also located in the Chicagoland area. I contacted ENZO tuning about 2 months ago. They told me to contact Jonathan or Chris from Midwest Performance Cars for removing the ECU. The only thing which is holding me back is that my car is my DD so I need it everyday and the whole process will take at least 3 days.
Maybe in the future there will be a dealer which does the ECU tuning in our area.
Anyway, IMO the ECU tune is the way to go.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2016, 09:34 PM   #17
Luminous
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cryptocar
Quote:

dd1981 Is based just outside of Chicago and let me test his Enzo tune last fall, I was very impressed. I am also in the Chicago area and have an ACF tune and am also now an ACF dealer. Reach out to either of us via PM if you'd like to see what our cars can do.
Does ACF offer a flash specifically for E85?

Any updates on the stage 3 turbo?

2015 SO M3 6MT

2015 BSM M235xi
Appreciate 1
FSociety3812.50
      06-28-2016, 09:48 PM   #18
crbalch
The Schwab
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2017 BMW X1  [0.00]
2016 BMW M235xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michall
I am also located in the Chicagoland area. I contacted ENZO tuning about 2 months ago. They told me to contact Jonathan or Chris from Midwest Performance Cars for removing the ECU. The only thing which is holding me back is that my car is my DD so I need it everyday and the whole process will take at least 3 days.
Maybe in the future there will be a dealer which does the ECU tuning in our area.
Anyway, IMO the ECU tune is the way to go.
Midwest Performance is steps from where I live. I tried to get them to install my downpipe but they wouldn't. Not a fan of that shop personally...went there once, before I wanted the downpipe, and they were very unfriendly.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2016, 08:35 AM   #19
Michall
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by crbalch View Post
Midwest Performance is steps from where I live. I tried to get them to install my downpipe but they wouldn't. Not a fan of that shop personally...went there once, before I wanted the downpipe, and they were very unfriendly.
That's what ENZO suggested but I would not use that shop anyway. Too far from my place.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2016, 08:36 AM   #20
crbalch
The Schwab
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2017 BMW X1  [0.00]
2016 BMW M235xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michall View Post
That's what ENZO suggested but I would not use that shop anyway. Too far from my place.
Interesting...I called ENZO yesterday and they suggested going to GTHAUS out by O'hare. If I go this route, I may just touchbase with a member on here that can help me uninstall my ECU. Luckily I have a motorcycle to use while my car is bricked haha
Appreciate 2
      06-29-2016, 08:45 AM   #21
Michall
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Interesting...I called ENZO yesterday and they suggested going to GTHAUS out by O'hare. If I go this route, I may just touchbase with a member on here that can help me uninstall my ECU. Luckily I have a motorcycle to use while my car is bricked haha
Good for you.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2016, 11:08 AM   #22
Info@EnzoPerformance
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F10 M5 700R+

Quote:
The process is quick, once we receive the ECU it gets tuned and sent out same day, next day air.
Appreciate 2