THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum Does opting for the 6-Speed manual effect 2-Series value?

09-19-2014, 12:45 AM   #1
1ChrisRuck
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M2

Garage List
2018 M2 LCI  [10.00]
Does opting for the 6-Speed manual effect 2-Series value?

I ordered my 228i M Sport with Track Package and I opted for the 6-Speed manual transmission. I've not had the opportunity to drive a 6-speed manual 2-Series. I've driven two different luxury trim 228i's with the 8-Speed automatic. I'm familiar with using paddle shifters and was very impressed with the 228i's paddle shifters.

Back to my original question? Does opting for a manual shift 2-Series or any car that comes equipped standard with an automatic transmission which generally holds better resale value, lower the value of the car because its manual instead of automatic?

I ordered my car with the 6-Speed manual transmission for the "old school fun factor". I'm also of the thinking that manual shift 2-Series will be produced in fewer numbers than the automatic. That fact alone should insure the value stays equal if not somewhat better due to overall lower build numbers.

Any thoughts?
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2014, 02:07 AM   #2
one1er
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M235i (Yet to come)

Let me put it this way...

In a few year you go to a dealer to trade your manual 228i for something new. When valuing your car he'll go, for sure, like:
"Oh, a manual? Yeah, people don't really go for these anymore...all they want are auto's...this car's value will be on the low end.."
If you'd've bought an auto, he'd be like:
"hmmm, an auto!? Yeah, people much rather manual sports cars these days, it's the old school appeal ya know!? Everytime someone has a trade-in it's an auto, we're full of them and no one wants them...if it was a manual dear sir..."

There seems to be quite a lot of demand for manuals these days, almost equivalent to autos, so I'm sure you'll be fine, and even if there were only a few manuals out there, that could play to your advantage, as some desperate 2nd hand manual buyer with no options would pay you asking price for your used 228 manual.

Enjoy what you like best, nevermind value, you'll be ok!
Appreciate 1
      09-19-2014, 03:20 AM   #3
Cal
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMWs, NSX.

Ultimately, it really will depend on the type of car and the options it has. For ex, e36 M3s, e46 M3s, e60 M5s, etc. have all held their values better with the MT. This is also in part due to the poor AT (e36M3) or SMG (e46M3s, e60M5s) that were problematic. IMO, when it comes to the F22, it will depend a lot on how the car is optioned. As an example, a 228i non M-Sport/Sport/Track Package equipped with MT, the resale will probably be bad. Conversely, one with M-Sport and/or Track Package with MT may hold resale as well as it's AT counterpart. All speculation at this point though...As the previous poster noted, just get the car the way YOU wanted instead of how the next owner wants it. You can always sell yours private party and given that yours is an MSport/Track package, the MT will be very attractive to hard-core enthusiasts.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2014, 06:26 AM   #4
xxxHolic
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235i Xdrive

Having the package on your car will make it desirable. Depending on mileage, wear and tear and the timing of your trade in, I think you'll be okay. However, if your package is mass produced and easy to come by, you make not get exactly what you want for you car.

I think its too early to speculate.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2014, 06:54 AM   #5
dwvcfii
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1998 328is, 2006 330ci ZHP

Last I read in Roundel the take on manual BMWs is around 6%. So I think it's safe to say when it comes time to sell the car, either via trade or in the private market, the audience for the car will be markedly lower than for one equipped with an auto. Sad fact, but true.
      09-19-2014, 07:34 AM   #6
bman6074
Major
Rep
Drives: 14 M235i and 07 Lotus Exige S

I would say manuals in a few years are going to be more expensive. They will be rare and sought after. It seems most car makers are going auto/paddles. BMW is one of the last manufactures that still offers manual on a high end vehicle. I don't think Mercedes even offers manual on any of there cars anymore. I would pay a little more for a manual. Just something about having a manual.
      09-19-2014, 07:42 AM   #7
scrape1
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '14 228i M Sport, '04 X3 3.0i

I think it would very much depend on whether you find the right buyer. The audience for MT cars is indeed lower, but if somebody is looking specifically for an MT M Sport configured car, they may very well be willing to pay a premium because these cars are going to be tough to find with fewer of them being built. So patience is going to be key. My guess is trade in value for MT will be lower, though.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2014, 07:56 AM   #8
bman6074
Major
Rep
Drives: 14 M235i and 07 Lotus Exige S

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrape1 View Post
I think it would very much depend on whether you find the right buyer. The audience for MT cars is indeed lower, but if somebody is looking specifically for an MT M Sport configured car, they may very well be willing to pay a premium because these cars are going to be tough to find with fewer of them being built. So patience is going to be key. My guess is trade in value for MT will be lower, though.
I am not so sure MT is lower for trades. I traded in my 08 135i MT and got 200 below KBlueBook value. Usually on trades your lucky to get 1000 below KBB value. I have a weird feeling they are going to become a dealers dream and they will pay to trade it in. I think there are more of MT drivers out then one would think.
      09-19-2014, 09:01 AM   #9
overcoil
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i 6spd

Since the 235 is an 'Enthusiast' item and that the manual is a no cost option, trade in or second hand value for the manual version may be difficult to project and may be surprisingly high.

In private sales the mechanically and electronically simpler manual may be a plus.

And, as far as my limited experience, the 235 manual is one of the better manuals I've driven, if not the best.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2014, 09:05 AM   #10
akuan99
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 228i M-Sport Track 6MT

I don't think you will lose resale value for cars like F22 one due to manual transmission.
My best trade-in value I got was from my 1999 323i MT which I got above KBB trade-in value.
All other cars I've traded which will include my current 128i w/auto have been valued at least below $1k KBB trade-in value.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2014, 09:16 AM   #11
golf_234
Captain
Rep
Drives: E46, E90, F30

It will become more of a niche car. Ie. Specific people will seek it out, albeit in much smaller numbers, see dwvc's 6%. Trade in, etc, hard to say. I wouldn't worry about it much though.
      09-19-2014, 09:25 AM   #12
Sportstick
Major General
Rep
Drives: '15 228i and '24 X3 sDrive30i

The answer will vary by geography and area demand. Sources such as edmunds and kbb are good guidance, but each dealer will make an assessment of what kind of traffic he gets on his used car lot, or what his wholesaler will give him to take the car (and then sell it elsewhere or take to auction).

In general, market demand for manual transmission is low and dropping. FOR THE RIGHT BUYER, the car will have value, which is why cars like ours do better than usual in a private sale (all do, but proportionately we do better). My last manual trans car (Mercedes C300) was looked at by one wholesaler on behalf of the selling MB dealer who didn't even want it. He said he gets no traffic for a stick. The wholesaler labeled it a "forum car", which I must admit made me laugh because he's right. The kind of folks who would be interested are US!!

From the dealer perspective, although there is a "right buyer" out there, the chances of them strolling on the lot is lower than the usual buyers, thus the typical resale will likely be low, but the private sale should be quite healthy. When the time comes to sell, presume that you will be marketing through forum ads and BMWCCA classsifieds first.

However, I didn't let any of the above slow me down in buying a stick again. I was not going to lose years of driving fun for the sake of a lower resale. If that had been my approach, I might as well have purchased a Honda.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2014, 09:54 AM   #13
worktolivelife
Private
Rep
Drives: Mine

Stick is FUN!!

The Value of Anything is How it Makes YOU Feel
Latest autos are great for focused just driving fast
But I love to just drop a gear or 2 at my command and pounce just that primeval feeling and instinct!
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2014, 10:27 AM   #14
SmallTownBoy
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: '14 M235i 6MT PSS BSM

Agreed, but that has nothing to do with resale value, unless we find a buyer who feels the same way, when we're ready to sell.
      09-19-2014, 11:00 AM   #15
nachob
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2004 330i ZHP, 2022 Cayman T

Quote:
Originally Posted by one1er View Post
Let me put it this way...

In a few year you go to a dealer to trade your manual 228i for something new. When valuing your car he'll go, for sure, like:
"Oh, a manual? Yeah, people don't really go for these anymore...all they want are auto's...this car's value will be on the low end.."
If you'd've bought an auto, he'd be like:
"hmmm, an auto!? Yeah, people much rather manual sports cars these days, it's the old school appeal ya know!? Everytime someone has a trade-in it's an auto, we're full of them and no one wants them...if it was a manual dear sir..."

There seems to be quite a lot of demand for manuals these days, almost equivalent to autos, so I'm sure you'll be fine, and even if there were only a few manuals out there, that could play to your advantage, as some desperate 2nd hand manual buyer with no options would pay you asking price for your used 228 manual.

Enjoy what you like best, nevermind value, you'll be ok!
Exactly!

There are such few manuals left that they are rare. Automatics are a dime a dozen. I have been told the same thing by dealers, they don't order manuals because they "don't sell." Then the same dealer told 4 weeks later when I saw a MT listed and it was sold when I got there, that they sell quickly. It's all BS.

I already told this story about when I was buying a MT 325i, the salesman kept telling me I was an idiot and no one would buy a red 325i MT with black interior. Many years later I ordered my 1M and got a letter about buying my 325i. I took it in and guy in used car department said, wow that is a clean 325i but we have too many, sorry. Then I put it in gear and started pulling away and he said.....oh....a manual...hang on. He calls some guy on the phone and says hey Bob we have a guy with a clean 325i and an offer letter.....but it's a manual......OK. He says the used car manager is coming over. Few minutes later, THE SAME GUY that told me I was an idiot for wantng a MT comes waltzing over. He doesn't remember me and looks at my car and tells the other guy to look it over and make me an offer. I left and put it on Craigslist instead.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2014, 11:04 AM   #16
worktolivelife
Private
Rep
Drives: Mine

Guess it's wether the OP values life or other factors then. But we are getting away from the OPs direct question which will always be an unknown until the day
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2014, 11:36 AM   #17
Fugly M3
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3CX

I think this is a tough one. With the track pack, hopefully the stick will not hurt the value, but it is still a 228i...it really would depend on the buyer. This is why I am hesitant to trade my 987.2 Cayman. It's only a base and I'd love a new one, but the idea of the stick and hydraulic steering makes me think it will be coveted down the road.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2014, 12:38 PM   #18
Guynamedsean
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2012 Carbon Black 650i M Sport

I had a 2011 cayman with stick. Awesome car!
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2014, 01:17 PM   #19
Cyberdemon
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 40i, 2018 M3 Comp

There's two ways to look at this.

Yes most people want an automatic.

But, Manuals will be very rare, and as a result that one guy who is looking for one will probably be very inclined to buy it if the rest of the car is in good shape.

It may take longer to find the right buyer (the engine may be a bigger issue since the performance guys may be hunting for M235i's) but I don't think it will hurt you in any measurable amount.

I had my TL-S in a manual, I sold it for above my asking price in 3 days and that's up here in NY where no one wants a manual.
      09-20-2014, 08:14 AM   #20
Bahuba
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: MR 2014 M235i

I didn't even bother asking the dealer what my 5 1/2 year old 135 6MT would be worth as a trade-in for my 235 as he hinted to me that this is a low volume car and would likely get a low-ball offer from their trade-in dept. So I ended up selling it privately for 25K (over 50% of it original value). Yes, it took me 3 months to sell it, but if you are patient, the right buyer will come along.
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2014, 03:01 PM   #21
BradF
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '06 E53, '08 E90

Nothing against the 2, but I've decided I really want a 128i, 6MT, Sport Package. I've been looking for three months now. There are plenty of private seller and CPO 128i's around - virtually all are autos.

I went to a dealer last weekend that just hours earlier had posted a CPO with a manual (and sport) on their website. When I arrived the car was on a test drive, and two others were waiting to see it. It sold instantly, and the SA told me that they could sell that car at least 10 times over, and that they very often get calls requesting E82's with 6MT, and (oddly) more requests for the 128 than the 135.

An acquaintance works at a bay area dealership, and when asked if they would keep an eye out for a 128i 6MT as a lease return to be CPO'ed, he said, "get in line". What are my chances of finding one? He replied, "go rub a lamp"..."or maybe find a private party seller on the internet".

There is exactly one 128i coupe 6MT on eBay as I write this (and just a few more 135’s), and an Auto Trader search will find more – but low mileage newer 6MT cars (if available) are asking prices that seem to push the bounds of reason. Do a national search on BMW's CPO car locater, and you'll find just 3 CPO 128i 6MT's and only 1 with sport. M Sport? Forget it. But, there are hundreds with the Steptronic.

Does the 6MT mean higher value? On some of the performance models it likely will. As some have pointed out, on other more luxury-oriented models it will probably be a detriment. My neighbor still has his very nice, low mileage E53 X5 with the very rare MT - he's tried a few times to sell it, but as someone once said, "it's the nicest horse in the glue factory". So, he's decided to keep it forever.

I had an '08 328i, 6MT with Sport that took forever to get rid of because 95% of the potential buyers couldn't drive a stick and/or HAD to have an auto which is why I thought that finding a 128i 6MT would be simple and cheap. As it happens, I'm wrong. E82 with a 6MT is a very sought after combination to begin with, and there were probably far fewer configured that way than with the Steptronic- making the search that much more difficult.

I can appreciate BMW's smaller engine / turbocharging strategy (albeit reluctantly) and my long term hope is that they will continue to offer the MT in as many models as possible well into the future, but the list of automakers no longer offering the MT is growing, leaving me fearful that BMW isn't far behind. Enjoy them while you can.
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2014, 05:11 PM   #22
tccox
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 228i Msport

Garage List
Bradf

Good luck on your search. I had a 2012 128 with sport package and its a fantastic car. But it was a steptronic. If it had been a manual I'd still be driving it. But I had to have a manual so traded for a 228 Msport manual