BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Discussions > A (private) dealer sold me an M2 with a flagged VIN... what do I do?

05-03-2018, 01:25 PM   #89
nomade30
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 18 M2, 91 325, 05 DMAX

Quote:
Originally Posted by boostm3 View Post
So you pretty much agree with what Ive written; BMW can detect when a car has been flash tuned.
Yep. If push comes to shove they'll pull the modules and analyze them deeply and this will usual reveal anything, including boot access count.

It's better to just accept the fact that they you may be liable for anything after tuning it, but I would always recommend going back to stock before going to the dealer as this seems to keep people under the radar. I bet this car wasn't flagged until it went into the dealer with a tune on it for this diff problem, if it didn't have the tune on it on the time of inspection this whole thread might not exist.
Appreciate 3
boostm3684.00
McPurrs290.00
      05-03-2018, 01:40 PM   #90
mjsaville
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M2 LLB - Arrived 4th Mar 2017

Wise words above.....
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2018, 01:41 PM   #91
boostm3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: '18 LBB M2 6MT Exec

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomade30 View Post
Yep. If push comes to shove they'll pull the modules and analyze them deeply and this will usual reveal anything, including boot access count.

It's better to just accept the fact that they you may be liable for anything after tuning it, but I would always recommend going back to stock before going to the dealer as this seems to keep people under the radar. I bet this car wasn't flagged until it went into the dealer with a tune on it for this diff problem, if it didn't have the tune on it on the time of inspection this whole thread might not exist.
Sage advice! In '99, I bought a new E36M3, and a year later, since we got those American version engines with but 240hp, I needed more, but definitely didnt want to jeopardize my factory warranty.. So, since I had a Dinan affiliated BMW dealership near me, that seemed to fill the bill, so I went with enough Dinan mods to get me that spiffy DINAN badge on the rear trunk lid. This included a Vortech supercharger and a Dinan exhaust among other parts. Its easy to increase the boost in such equipment simply by swapping in a smaller pulley to drive the blower, which I did after a few months of ownership.. Nothing drastic; just a boost increase of a couple of lbs, supported by an Aquamist water injection kit to help cool the charge since the Dinan kit had no Charge Air Cooling . Subsequent to that I went with an RMS water-cooled aftercooler, but that has nothing to do with this story!

Recall that the Dinan warranty was supposed to step in to cover their parts for the length of the original factory warranty. So when I blew a weld in their muffler, I expected them to take care of it.. They didnt! Why not? They claimed that my pulley swap and resulting boost increase made me ineligible for coverage on the exhaust. I never bought into that as being the reason for the blown weld, but Dinan wouldnt budge.

So, even a seemingly unrelated modification is enough to void warranties, even for a performance company.

Last edited by boostm3; 05-03-2018 at 01:46 PM..
Appreciate 2
Poochie9107.50
      05-03-2018, 02:01 PM   #92
Poochie
Luxury at the redline :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2

Yep, that's what I trying to explain in my previous post. I went to a different dealer that I usually go to last week because my summer wheel was leaking air from the valve stem. I figure they would swap the sensor, and I'll be on my way..

The service writer was a dickhead (literally bald) from the second I walked in ("I have to go to lunch in 5 mins" he said) and first told me they don't cover TPMS sensors. I fought. Then afterwards he came and told me the sensor is leaking because I put too much air in the tire and there is Epoxy on the wheel. I need a new wheel also. (I didn't BTW).

I gave up and told him to bite me.. When I was leaving, the tech working on my car walked up to me in the parking lot and told me that it's just the gasket for the sensor was bad and to just buy the rebuilt kit. He also said it should be covered but the service writer is just being an a-hole. I tipped him and left..

$5 sensor gasket and $15 to replace and my wheel is still fine.

All warranty claims can be subjective and you're at the mercy of the dealer's asinine attitude.

boostm3
Appreciate 2
      05-03-2018, 02:13 PM   #93
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

As the car was not purchased at a BMW dealership, I added "(private)" to the thread title:
"A (private) dealer sold me an M2 with a flagged VIN... what do I do?"
      05-03-2018, 02:29 PM   #94
Artemis
Rep

Quote:
BMW can detect when a car has been flash tuned.
As cars get more advanced, more information than before is logged.

Car manufacturers can know more about what happened to their cars than the owners/drivers.
      05-03-2018, 03:12 PM   #95
chmura
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post

Car manufacturers can know more about what happened to their cars than the owners/drivers.
Most likely with connected cars BMW can send engine info remotely on the fly. The cars do not even need to go in for service.

Tesla currently does this right now.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2018, 03:34 PM   #96
Artemis
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chmura View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
Most likely with connected cars BMW can send engine info remotely on the fly. The cars do not even need to go in for service.
See for example: https://www.nytimes.com/2017/07/27/a...-tracking.html ("Cars Suck Up Data About You. Where Does It All Go?")
      05-03-2018, 04:20 PM   #97
djarchow
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2020 M4 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by chmura View Post

I just picked up my new m2 last Friday. In the first 20 miles it popped up a message saying essentially that until my 1200 mile service it would be gathering engine diagnostic data and sending it back to BMW for "Quality Assurance" purposes.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2018, 04:26 PM   #98
boostm3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by djarchow View Post
I just picked up my new m2 last Friday. In the first 20 miles it popped up a message saying essentially that until my 1200 mile service it would be gathering engine diagnostic data and sending it back to BMW for "Quality Assurance" purposes.
Seriously? I dont recall ever seeing that, but maybe I forgot.. Certainly would be timely in this discussion though.
      05-03-2018, 05:06 PM   #99
omasou
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMWs

Garage List
2023 BMW S1000RR  [0.50]
2022 BMW F900XR  [3.00]
2022 BMW X6 40i  [0.50]
2020 BMW M2C  [9.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by champignon View Post
There's a lot of other stuff that goes on a CarFax or Autocheck report, that doesn't come from a dealer. If a car is in a significant accident and the police are involved, the accident will likely show up on the reports. This is especially true if (1) the car is towed afterwards; (2) an airbag or airbags deploy; or (3), one of the drivers is cited. If the car is issued a salvage or otherwise branded title, this will almost certainly show up, although "title washing" is not unheard of. Usually, still, there will be traces.

Registration data, entered by state and county DMVs is also recorded without any real involvement from selling or servicing dealers.

People selling cars with reported accidents, branded titles, etc., will almost universally say that the damage was minor, a fender bender, the car was given a salvage title because the insurance company wouldn't pay much for the repairs, etc. etc. etc. Run, don't walk, as soon as you start to hear this sort of thing.

This is the key part... will likely show up on the reports... There is absolutely no guarantee and again it depends if those agencies are incentivized to report the information.

old but probably still pretty accurate...

https://jalopnik.com/how-carfax-work...981/1639687668

Basically, if it's not automated and requires human intervention and that human is not getting a kickback in some form it ain't getting reported.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2018, 06:21 PM   #100
pz619
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: F87 M2C 6MT, Tesla 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by stefan View Post
Well hang on though.. how does that work exactly? Are those parameters really that tightly controlled? I doubt it. So if I take my M2 up Highwood pass in AB and the damn turbo is working overtime, is the dealer going to assume there's a tune on the car? Seems a little dubious. I mean I totally agree if you're running a piggyback but I just doubt the process.
I can't speak to the methods they use, but there are multiple stories of people (especially on the m3 forum) where they got flagged for a flash tune. BMW understands the coding of their cars and DME parameters far better than any vendor selling a tune. The way I see it, it doesn't matter how good some of these flash tunes are. It's highly unlikely they can change code/parameters of how the car works and BMW will not know if they look for it. From a software perspective it'll be pretty easy. If the code (computer code) is different than what BMW originally put in there, they will know it was tampered with.

Just like the saying goes, you gotta pay to play.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2018, 02:24 AM   #101
Mdkcrf250r
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

As a BMW SA I can say first hand the only time I’ve ever seen cars get flagged is when the BMW Area Manager visits the dealership and sees a car with a piggyback tune. Happened to one of my clients with a Dinan piggyback. I’m sure there are other ways and reasons vins get flagged but that’s all I’ve seen in my experience. I really highly doubt BMW would do any investigative work looking for flash tunes unless it’s a blown motor on an M5 or something crazy expensive and something the parts or repairs were on what’s called “teleclearing.” They can also remotely pull data from your car anytime for any reason as well.
Appreciate 2
Who?484.50
eeyang92318.50
      05-04-2018, 07:22 AM   #102
boostm3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mdkcrf250r View Post
As a BMW SA I can say first hand the only time I’ve ever seen cars get flagged is when the BMW Area Manager visits the dealership and sees a car with a piggyback tune. Happened to one of my clients with a Dinan piggyback. I’m sure there are other ways and reasons vins get flagged but that’s all I’ve seen in my experience. I really highly doubt BMW would do any investigative work looking for flash tunes unless it’s a blown motor on an M5 or something crazy expensive and something the parts or repairs were on what’s called “teleclearing.” They can also remotely pull data from your car anytime for any reason as well.
My dealership in Ct. told me they recently pulled the warranty on a car for coding. Now whether he meant coding, or flash tune, or was just trying to scare me I dont know, but that's what the Srvc Mgr told me.
      05-04-2018, 09:59 AM   #103
Mdkcrf250r
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

Dealerships don’t flag vins that’s for Sure so he was most likely trying to scare you.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2018, 10:01 AM   #104
Macphisto
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 ///M2

Bimmer is the correct term for BMW cars while Beemer and Beamer are used for BMW motorcycles.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2018, 10:12 AM   #105
boostm3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mdkcrf250r View Post
Dealerships don’t flag vins that’s for Sure so he was most likely trying to scare you.
>> Long story short, my vin number comes up as "flagged" because apparently the car is tuned and boom, the entire warranty is voided. The differential error is possibly because of the tune, or they said I might need a new rear diff soon, which out of pocket would cost around 7k. F*** that.<<

So how is it that this is what the OP experienced?
      05-04-2018, 11:55 AM   #106
pz619
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: F87 M2C 6MT, Tesla 3

Quote:
>> Long story short, my vin number comes up as "flagged" because apparently the car is tuned and boom, the entire warranty is voided. The differential error is possibly because of the tune, or they said I might need a new rear diff soon, which out of pocket would cost around 7k. F*** that.<<

So how is it that this is what the OP experienced?
I had interpreted his statement as BMW (corporate) does the flagging rather than the independent/licensed dealership.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2018, 02:02 PM   #107
boostm3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pz619 View Post
I had interpreted his statement as BMW (corporate) does the flagging rather than the independent/licensed dealership.
Interesting.. but thats not what it says. It says:

"The only time I’ve ever seen cars get flagged is when the BMW Area Manager visits the dealership and sees a car with a piggyback tune"

You might be correct, but there's no indication of that in this sentence. According to this, cars with flashes dont get flagged; only ones with Piggybacks do. And only when spotted by a BMW area mngr. That really doesnt account for the OP's experience.
      05-04-2018, 02:57 PM   #108
akkando
Major General
Rep
Drives: 17 M2 DCT LBB,11 e90 M3 ZCP IB

Quote:
My dealership in Ct. told me they recently pulled the warranty on a car for coding. Now whether he meant coding, or flash tune, or was just trying to scare me I dont know, but that's what the Srvc Mgr told me.
What did they void the warranty on, the mirrors?
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2018, 05:19 PM   #109
HTTP 410
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3 Competition

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poochie View Post
I am not knowledgeable about "Shadow Codes" but I do know that all ECUs are built on a re-writer-able EPROM system, which leads me to believe that a software flash will erase the old shadow codes.

Check you the link below, guys; it is a shameful example of a dealer spewing BS to deny a legit claim because of shadow codes and circumstantial evidence..

https://www.6post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1174774
While the ECU is stored in rewritable memory additional data could be stored elsewhere and not susceptible to a reflash.

(SOLD) 2018 M2 BSM LCI, DCT, Executive, Drivers Assist, CarPlay
Appreciate 1
Poochie9107.50
      05-05-2018, 06:06 AM   #110
Cavpilot2k
Chief Warrant Officer
Rep
Drives: like a damn lunatic

OP: Any updates/progress?
Appreciate 0