THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum New Order: 2 series vs 3/4 series + Comfort Access Qn

07-26-2015, 07:01 PM   #23
sstarrx3
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2014 228i Mineral White/Terra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merc for hire View Post
It's priced same as a HK sound system from a higher series BMW, which is 16 speaker, 600 watt system with a graphical equalizer.

Our HK has only 360-watts, 12-speaker sound system, and no equalizer.

We are getting ripped off and that's where the hate is coming from.
No your not...did you pay as much for your car as those higher end cars? No. Cars are priced to come in at a certain price range. Accessories are priced individually but that price point is set to get the car in that sales price range. That is why certain packages cost less on higher priced trims and more on lower prices trims for the same package. Overall you pay less for the car because the base price is less to start with. If they were to offer the same HK sound system in the 2ers as the other higher priced trims you would without a doubt had to pay more for it.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2015, 08:43 PM   #24
Merc for hire
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: M235i 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by sstarrx3 View Post
No your not...did you pay as much for your car as those higher end cars? No. Cars are priced to come in at a certain price range. Accessories are priced individually but that price point is set to get the car in that sales price range. That is why certain packages cost less on higher priced trims and more on lower prices trims for the same package. Overall you pay less for the car because the base price is less to start with. If they were to offer the same HK sound system in the 2ers as the other higher priced trims you would without a doubt had to pay more for it.
A lot of people are expecting the HK system in the 2 Series to be the same quality as the HK system in higher end cars. Hence, having the same price and same brand name Harmon Kardon. We didn't expect a dumbed down version.

Enough people have complained about this in the past and BMW did offer a partial money refund.
http://www.2addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1037457
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2015, 03:04 AM   #25
B.a.f
228i - 2015-03
France
Rep
Drives: 228i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by sstarrx3
Quote:
It's priced same as a HK sound system from a higher series BMW, which is 16 speaker, 600 watt system with a graphical equalizer.

I don't understand your argument... How 4 less speakers, a smaller amp and not having an equalizer can cost the same price than the real stuff because it is installed in a smaller car. This does not make any sense.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2015, 09:34 AM   #26
sstarrx3
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by B.a.f View Post
I don't understand your argument... How 4 less speakers, a smaller amp and not having an equalizer can cost the same price than the real stuff because it is installed in a smaller car. This does not make any sense.
Oh I agree with you 100%, it does not make sense. But that is the way most Car manufacturers work. They are not in the Car Parts business, they are in the car business. What they price an option at does not necessarily reflect what said part cost them. The car is priced as a whole and the option prices are tinkered to have the car come in at a certain price range. Some car manufacturers do it differently. Scion comes to mind as allot of their options are A la carte and will cost the same no matter what car you put them in.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2015, 09:39 AM   #27
sstarrx3
Captain
Rep

Quote:
A lot of people are expecting the HK system in the 2 Series to be the same quality as the HK system in higher end cars. Hence, having the same price and same brand name Harmon Kardon. We didn't expect a dumbed down version.

Enough people have complained about this in the past and BMW did offer a partial money refund.
http://www.2addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1037457
Yes, I understand that and agree that it is crappy, but car manufacturers work this way. Where BMW screwed up that first model year is not being up front and transparent about what the 2er HK system actually was ,leaving the average buyer to select it thinking it was the same system that other BMW models had. They can charge for the inferior system whatever they like to get the car in the price range they determine. Even though they offered some money back for those that complained that first year, you can see they have not lowered the price of the system in subsequent years.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2015, 05:00 PM   #28
allthatisntnow
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M2C, 991 C2

Quote:

Oh right. Makes more sense if thats the case. The 3 series HK system is more expensive over here than in the 2. But not by much admittedly. Around £75 more. So yeah, it is a bit of a rip off when weighed against that. Probably is slightly subsidised in the 3er with the higher list price of the vehicle, though I'm not trying to make excuses for BMWs underhandedness.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2015, 05:25 PM   #29
shinji23
United_States
Rep
Drives: M340

I had fully loaded F30 328 series before M235 (Has HK and Leather option only).

1. HK Audio. Meh. As other posters, it's crippled version. Lately though I enjoy sound of engine more than music so my speaker is off. Yes, even pumped engine noise is still very enjoyable compare to N20's diesel like engine noise.

2. Luxury Pack: Again. Meh. First few weeks I kept touching door handle to unlock the car. It does come in handy, but not worth the money. Folding side mirror is good to have....

Wish I had:
Parking Sensor. Car is small and easy to park. But I scratched my front bumper 5 hours after drove my car from dealer lot. Sum street bum left broken cart part and I dind't see it Cost me $300 to fix it.

Not sure if I miss it or not:
Tech Package. My F30 came with HUD. M235 is fast... On the Freeway, I do easily 100 lol. I set speed alert 'gong' sound at 100. But it would be nice to see how fast I drive without looking down. Navigation.. I don't miss a bit. But then again, HUD is not option for 2s, so I guess this is pointless.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2015, 05:21 AM   #30
delvec03
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 228i Sport/ DSB

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyranimo
Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerfile View Post
Not true. "Sport Line" is standard, but M Sport is a $2K option on all 2ers in Canada..
With the std "Sport Line" you can order any colour available to the 2-series.
Nope, that's for 2015.

For 2016, MSport is standard.

View post on imgur.com

*edit: Note under the standard equipment, on the extreme right column, that the MSport stuff now are included. (710, 715, 754. etc)
this is interesting....2015 sport line was not standard. I paid for it ?. it would be exceptionally unwise to make Msport Std as we would lose out on colors. I know Sportstick wouldn't be the only one disappointed! The lack of DSB made it easy to choose between msport and sport
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2015, 05:24 AM   #31
tyranimo
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 228xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by delvec03 View Post
this is interesting....2015 sport line was not standard. I paid for it ?. it would be exceptionally unwise to make Msport Std as we would lose out on colors. I know Sportstick wouldn't be the only one disappointed! The lack of DSB made it easy to choose between msport and sport
Yup! I was sad that there was a limited colour choice too, I was hoping to get sportsline with the DSB or Midnight blue.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2015, 02:44 PM   #32
RPM90
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i M-sport AT

The US base audio system is pure crap.
BMW should absolutely ashamed about putting that audio system in any priced BMW.

The HK option is a must have simply because of how awful and bad the base system is.

As for the price tag being the same as what's in my F30 335i, yes BMW should have to answer for that.
The issue isn't the speaker count really, because the 3 series HK system doesn't need that many speakers to begin with, the issue is that the 2 series HK system has almost half the power from it's amp. That makes for a big difference in audio quality.
With more power comes clarity even a lower volumes. There is more reserve to drive the bass and subs to a more appreciable level and quality, and at higher volumes a more powerful amp provides lower distortion levels as volume goes up.

In my 335i HK I do have the EQ, but it's quite limited in improving the sound.
It also has "logic 7" surround, which I simply dislike VERY much.
Logic7 attempts to artificially create a stereo sound field at each seating position using phasing and delay algorithms. The result is a truly artificial sound field that lessens clarity and upper frequency articulation. I never use it.
The reason for all of those speakers in the 3 series is mainly for the Logic7 effects.
Since the HK in the 2 series doesn't have Logic7, then it really doesn't need the extra speakers. But it could sure use a higher powered amp to drive the bass and sub bass cleaner and louder.

I've done car audio myself in my cars and friends cars and the best audio quality came from
Appreciate 0