THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum First M235i xdrive experience on the track

07-23-2015, 04:32 PM   #1
isthar
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M235i xDrive

First M235i xdrive experience on the track

Yes, there's a track section, but I think? this is more for the general 2 series reader as I will not go into big specifics for track heads.

My second time ever doing a track event.
My first had been my MINI Cooper Clubman JCW.

New Hampshire Motor Speedway (both times).

M235i, xDrive, on all seasons RFT (gasp! horror!)

What a car.

It's as if it is born on the track, to me. It handled the track as if it is on the street it's unreal.

Mode: Sport+, DS, and last session with manual shifting.

My best lap time matched that of the instructor's second (and last) show-me-the-line lap time. (1:42 ish for those that know NHMS and I'm sure that's baby slow, so what I did it!). p.s. M Lap Timer app is freaking amazing.

Commentary:

Really, car just does anything; I know theories of brake fading bla bla, well, I didn't even care or notice anything the entire day (four twenty minute sessions). As in NOTHING. I couldn't tell you if there was brake fading bla bla or not, I just drove the car each time on the track, got off it, pulled in, waited for next session. Car never complained, never over heated (75-80ish weather), never gave me any fuss.

12 mpg

I did find it necessary to manual shift, there was a spot or two I felt it was off by one gear.

Gear shifts when you are pushing hard have a really nice brap and tug feel, loved that.

Instructor commented on how the steering wheel feels great, he told me car had the right input-to-response feel, little smooth inputs get good response and that I should thus be smooth with it and it'll do well.

I got it to slide ever so slightly, but otherwise really mostly just stayed composed through everything. Maybe one time a bit hot into a turn a tad of understeer (plowing), but again nothing I couldn't re-compose. Is this all more indicative of AWD over RWD? Because if I had to say, from my totally newbie butt feel... I never felt like I was worried to have my butt slide...

Oh, and then on the third session this really freaky rain hit, pouring at some point, on half the track (other half dry!). Many cars started freaking out, I was able to really... kinda wierd really, but I mostly just kept it going, just the normal amount of caution but frankly I felt like I could just do what I was already doing.

I even was telling the instructor about that video, that guy where the AWD was pissing him off in the rain... I was expecting something really intrusive and I told the instructor that I wonder if it will do that...

but apparently not. after the session some of the other guys commented on noticing how I kept the pace stronger through the rain as everyone else started panicking a bit (note: of course many others use ultra slick tires; that I then saw coming off for session four).

What else can I say... AND then the car takes me home (1h30ish) as if nothing happened... cruising the whole way back.

Oh okay, one thing.
When I pop the hood open a message said 'something something hot'. I thought "oh come on overheating?"... but then I realized it is just saying "engine compartment is hot be careful with your fingers"

tl;dr (haha, at the end). For a daily driver, for a daily driver kinda person... El. Oh. Vee. Eee. Just what I wanted.

p.s. other cars in my session included an m4, a gt-r, a red older m3. yes, many I let pass me when appropriate. the red m3 was the one that came to tell me that in the rain he gave up catching me.
      07-23-2015, 05:19 PM   #2
xantdieselx
Kingslayer
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 23' M3 Base

Great story...I've driven the RWD M235i on track and it definitely would slide the tail out if u were too heavy on the throttle with too much wheel in it. It also rotated quite nicely when trail braking into a corner did u notice this with the AWD?

Previous Cars: 2008' 135i, 2010' 328i, 2013' 328i, 2016' M235i, 2017' X1, 2019' M240i
Current Cars: 2019' X3, 2021' M3 Comp
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2015, 05:23 PM   #3
isthar
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M235i xDrive

There was one long sweeping left turn (Turn 1 into the Chicane configuration), after a straight line where I'd hit ~ 100mph (and lift off then). I don't remember that turn being as eventful from a tail-out point of view as other ones, but I was not heavy on the throttle upon exiting that turn (since in fact it is followed by a tight right turn, so a tap of the brakes and then bang-right). Recall also again I was in Sport+, NOT Traction Off mode... I did notice the light flicker here and there as I was going. Sadly my gopro was not inside, only outside this time.
      07-23-2015, 08:39 PM   #4
m 135
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: Gtr,135i,M235i,XR6 turbo

Great stuff,glad you enjoyed it and car performed well !
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2015, 11:39 PM   #5
Transfer
Major General
Rep
Drives: Bronco Wildtrak, Tesla MYP

Bravo! Everyone needs to learn to drive at the track.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2015, 11:41 PM   #6
casper83
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M235i XDrive

Great work!

I gave up defending xdrive on this forum a long time ago. People who have never driven one want to tell me how bad it should drive... I'll just keep driving with a huge grin on my face.

Thanks for the write up. Glad you had fun!
Appreciate 0