THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum Does manual + track package increase resale value?

07-17-2015, 01:13 PM   #1
Ramsen
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW 228i M-Sport 6MT

Does manual + track package increase resale value?

I'm considering ordering a base 2016 228i w/ track package only. Obviously I'll be targeting a niche market if I ever want to sell, but I'm not sure that will pan out with the 235i existing.

Anyone have some insight on this? I understand this is a risk, but if there's any validity to my thought I'd be happy to know. Otherwise I'd probably wait for a deal on a used 228i m-sport or sportline.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2015, 01:34 PM   #2
Cyberdemon
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 40i, 2018 M3 Comp

Every BMW's list of options is going to appeal to some, and not to others.

I wouldn't spend too much time worrying about resale value. You can always find the right buyer with the right amount of time, and options won't make a huge difference when trading a car in. For someone who in 3-5 years wants a cheap, sporty BMW a base car with a manual would be a nice pickup.
      07-17-2015, 03:01 PM   #3
SteveInfante
NewFinishColumbia/detailer
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 F31 xDrive

I wanted the THP and lights as the only options if I were to order. It's impossible to find that in the pre-owned market so I'm sure that you would have a buyer no problem should you decide to sell it one day.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2015, 03:18 PM   #4
dah
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2016 228i convertible

That's the kind of build I like too. I think the lighting package is also a must if daily driven.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2015, 03:20 PM   #5
Ramsen
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveInfante View Post
I wanted the THP and lights as the only options if I were to order. It's impossible to find that in the pre-owned market so I'm sure that you would have a buyer no problem should you decide to sell it one day.
That's what I'm hoping for, but if the resale price is capped by the m235i I'd rather just buy used. Maybe I can sell to someone on this forum someday
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2015, 11:42 PM   #6
sstarrx3
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2014 228i Mineral White/Terra

Quote:
Originally Posted by dah View Post
That's the kind of build I like too. I think the lighting package is also a must if daily driven.
I drive mine daily and dont have the lighting package. They do come with a set of halogen lights standard! I think its a law or something.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2015, 12:38 AM   #7
krhodes1
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 328i Wagon

Garage List
2011 128i  [10.00]
2011 BMW 328i Touring  [10.00]
In the sense that a car with the Track Package will be worth more than the same car without it, sure. But you will be highly unlikely to get 100% of the cost of the Track Package back - you never get all of the cost of any options back with very rare exceptions. The best resale value will almost always be on a completely base car. The "right" options may make a car sell faster.

It is fantastic that BMW has now made what was the Sportline the base car. Though that is bound to hurt values of the earlier no-line cars a bit. Actually, Sportline might just be a case where you get all the money back down the road, at least in a private sale. Probably not on a trade-in.

'11 328! Touring - Tasman on Chestnut, 6spd manual, factory upside-down "i" option
'11 128i Convertible - Space Gray on Savannah Beige, 6spd manual,
also '14 Mercedes-Benz E350 wagon, '95 Land Rover Discovery, '74 Triumph Spitfire
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2015, 02:01 AM   #8
bluebuffalo
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: shopping

What exactly does the lighting package include? Why is it so much better than the standard lights?
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2015, 09:11 AM   #9
sstarrx3
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2014 228i Mineral White/Terra

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebuffalo View Post
What exactly does the lighting package include? Why is it so much better than the standard lights?
If you search the threads it has been beat to death, but many like auto high beams and prefer how much brighter they light up the road. I prefer fog lights so I would not want a model without those like Msport models. Many like em because they are iconic like the kidney shape grills. That is a personal taste preference. I always liked Audis LEDs which were iconic but sadly have been copied by other manufactuers since.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2015, 10:06 AM   #10
TonySCV
Captain
Rep
Drives: '18 M2; '21 X6 M50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramsen View Post
I'm considering ordering a base 2016 228i w/ track package only. Obviously I'll be targeting a niche market if I ever want to sell, but I'm not sure that will pan out with the 235i existing.

Anyone have some insight on this? I understand this is a risk, but if there's any validity to my thought I'd be happy to know. Otherwise I'd probably wait for a deal on a used 228i m-sport or sportline.
For manual cars, which are only going to appeal to enthusiasts as it is, you're better off either stripped or loaded, and the track package will probably be seen as a positive addition to an otherwise stripped car.

That said, you're resale market is going to be so tiny as it is (relative to folks looking for an automatic), that it probably doesn't matter much, but if I'm ordering a 2 series with a manual, it's either going to have every option offered, or none. Track package probably won't be seen as a negative.

Long story short... order what makes you happy. You're going to take a hit in resale regardless.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2015, 03:03 PM   #11
Ramsen
Enlisted Member
Rep

Thanks for the replies everyone, I'll probably wait for a good used one to show up.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2015, 05:47 PM   #12
uberspeed
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by sstarrx3 View Post
If you search the threads it has been beat to death, but many like auto high beams and prefer how much brighter they light up the road. I prefer fog lights so I would not want a model without those like Msport models. Many like em because they are iconic like the kidney shape grills. That is a personal taste preference. I always liked Audis LEDs which were iconic but sadly have been copied by other manufactuers since.
Halogen vs Xenon, it goes much further than the iconic angel eyes, literally and metaphorically (lumens and reach, equipment). Having owned previous cars with Xenons, halogens with projector housings and now these sad BMW halogens in refractor housings we're missing quite a bit not going with the lighting package in a BMW. Not a mistake I will be repeating.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2015, 09:21 PM   #13
3.0L
Colonel
Rep
Drives: M235i, 20k miles

I think the most important factors in resale value includes:

1. Absolutely factory stock. No mods, or indications of removed mods.
2. No damage history.
3. Mileage: lower is better.
4. Clean. Squeeky clean.
5. Locally owned.
6. Traceable service history, including OEM replacement parts.

As to options, I don't believe you'll get more than you paid for them. Depends on buyer.

When writing your life's plan, use a pencil with an eraser
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2015, 09:43 PM   #14
krhodes1
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2011 128i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebuffalo View Post
The swiveling self-leveling HID "Xenon" headlights. They turn into corners, and if you get the auto highbeams option and do some coding, they can do some seriously neat stuff like split the high-beams AROUND a car you are coming up behind, and vary the beam pattern based on speed.

I do think they are better than the standard halogens - BUT I don't think they are enough better to be worth the cost. $1000 upfront, and GOD HELP YOU if any of it breaks out of warranty. But that said, I don't do much driving at night in places where the better lights would make any difference. If I still lived in rural moose country I might feel differently. I did not order them on my e91, and am perfectly happy with the halogens. No choice on the M235i, they are standard equipment.

'11 328! Touring - Tasman on Chestnut, 6spd manual, factory upside-down "i" option
also '14 Mercedes-Benz E350 wagon, '95 Land Rover Discovery, '74 Triumph Spitfire
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2015, 09:54 PM   #15
krhodes1
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2011 128i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonySCV View Post
For manual cars, which are only going to appeal to enthusiasts as it is, you're better off either stripped or loaded, and the track package will probably be seen as a positive addition to an otherwise stripped car.

That said, you're resale market is going to be so tiny as it is (relative to folks looking for an automatic), that it probably doesn't matter much, but if I'm ordering a 2 series with a manual, it's either going to have every option offered, or none. Track package probably won't be seen as a negative.

Long story short... order what makes you happy. You're going to take a hit in resale regardless.
I disagree about the market for automatics vs. manuals. The market for manuals may be smaller, but it tends to be HIGHLY motivated for cars where the manual is rare. My stickshift e91 is worth MUCH more than the same car with an automatic, simply because they are such unicorns. Might take longer to sell, and you need to reach the right buyers, but it will sell for notably more. AWD automatic e91s are a dime a dozen, relatively speaking.

But I do agree you should order what makes you happy. With resale value the difference between worst and first is pretty small. You get hosed either way!

Appreciate 0
      07-18-2015, 10:25 PM   #16
dan99
Captain
Rep
Drives: 01' 330xi / 15' M235i

I think it would inc value. Imo this segment is catered to car enthusiasts. Similar to the used market for the 1er. Harder to find manual and they also costs more.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2015, 10:16 AM   #17
BMW335iOn18s
Resident BMW Fanboy
United_States
Rep
Drives: F82 CS SMB

Manual and THP should indeed increase resale value. Not only that, manual transmission BMWs are easier to sell than their automatic counterparts.
      07-19-2015, 10:52 AM   #18
nike001
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 718 Cayman

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW335iOn18s View Post
Not only that, manual transmission BMWs are easier to sell than their automatic counterparts.
Not for a dealership they're not - you'll find the opposite is true. Most people who walk onto the lot either know exactly what they want, or have no idea whatsoever.. and the latter is what most BMW buyers are. Once that one guy comes onto the lot knowing exactly what they want then yeah, the manual will be an easy sell.

There aren't as many BMW enthusiasts as there once were.. most are just in it for the badge.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2015, 02:17 PM   #19
nachob
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2004 330i ZHP, 2022 Cayman T

Quote:
Manual and THP should indeed increase resale value. Not only that, manual transmission BMWs are easier to sell than their automatic counterparts.
I thin that is the case now because of the scarcity. I have been told that by a few salesmen. The key though is that the configuration has to match the manual transmission. For example, the manual guy will tend to prefer sportier options over luxury/comfort options. I am looking at manual cars but to often they are loaded with NAV. NAV hump and iDrive kills it for me. I don't consider that an enthusiast option though a few do as i have actually read that on here. There is a blue M3 on the forum that looks perfect but it has iDrive which kills it for me. It's ironic because the seller posts it as an enthusiast option. Maybe for someone with amnesia that doesn't know how to get home or work? Anyway, I am on the manual call list from dealers and the sales people call me when they order a manual. I run down to the dealership and they are misconfigured. They order them with all sorts of weight-increasing luxury options and extended leather, then all sorts of crap. It's like asking for Bear Grylls survival knife and they have it customized with encrusted fake Rubys, glass handle in a holster made from the testicle sack of a holy LLama raised by Tibetan monks. Then they look at you quizically and say here is your $2000 Bear Grylls survival knife....what you don't want it? They can't unserstand, they ordered the knife...they will never order a Bear Grylls knife again because they don't sell!

So properly configured manuals, in order to appeal to a larger group of enthusiasts should be configured with sportiness and lightweight in mind.

Yes, there a few that want the loaded, NAV, folding mirror, extended leather, executive package manual with self parking manual but those are few and far between.

The fact is the future is full of automatic cars, they are and will be a dime a dozen. Manuals are special and you will see more want ads for manuals in the future. Even know, you see articles in Jalopnik about how the F430 will be a classic because it was last Ferrari offered in manual. When Ferrari rolled out F1 gearboxes, they were innovative and exciting....not anymore...Boring.

Another thing is resale value buying is a joke that people don't get. I saw this over and over again when buy the 1M. People were saying they would buy fully loaded 1Ms at 56 for resale value. I told them they would only get pennies on the dollar in return. A stripper 1M with identical history is selling for basically the same price as loaded one, yet the original buyer paid 8K more! Same thing with M3s. People bought fully loaded M3s for resale value and paid 73K and a few bought stripper manual ones for $53K. Guess what, the loaded 75K M3 wis selling for about $45K and the rare stripper, if you can find one, probably $43K with low miles.

So someone spent $20K more to get potentially $2k more 4 years later! That is resale value on M cars in a nutshell.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2015, 02:18 PM   #20
nachob
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2004 330i ZHP, 2022 Cayman T

Quote:
I think that is the case now because of the scarcity. I have been told that by a few salesmen. The key though is that the configuration has to match the manual transmission. For example, the manual guy will tend to prefer sportier options over luxury/comfort options. I am looking at manual cars but to often they are loaded with NAV. NAV hump and iDrive kills it for me. I don't consider that an enthusiast option though a few do as i have actually read that on here. There is a blue M3 on the forum that looks perfect but it has iDrive which kills it for me. It's ironic because the seller posts it as an enthusiast option. Maybe for someone with amnesia that doesn't know how to get home or work? Anyway, I am on the manual call list from dealers and the sales people call me when they order a manual. I run down to the dealership and they are misconfigured. They order them with all sorts of weight-increasing luxury options and extended leather, then all sorts of crap. It's like asking for Bear Grylls survival knife and they have it customized with encrusted fake Rubys, glass handle in a holster made from the testicle sack of a holy LLama raised by Tibetan monks. Then they look at you quizically and say here is your $2000 Bear Grylls survival knife....what you don't want it? They can't unserstand, they ordered the knife...they will never order a Bear Grylls knife again because they don't sell!

So properly configured manuals, in order to appeal to a larger group of enthusiasts should be configured with sportiness and lightweight in mind.

Yes, there a few that want the loaded, NAV, folding mirror, extended leather, executive package manual with self parking manual but those are few and far between.

The fact is the future is full of automatic cars, they are and will be a dime a dozen. Manuals are special and you will see more want ads for manuals in the future. Even know, you see articles in Jalopnik about how the F430 will be a classic because it was last Ferrari offered in manual. When Ferrari rolled out F1 gearboxes, they were innovative and exciting....not anymore...Boring.

Another thing is resale value buying is a joke that people don't get. I saw this over and over again when buy the 1M. People were saying they would buy fully loaded 1Ms at 56 for resale value. I told them they would only get pennies on the dollar in return. A stripper 1M with identical history is selling for basically the same price as loaded one, yet the original buyer paid 8K more! Same thing with M3s. People bought fully loaded M3s for resale value and paid 73K and a few bought stripper manual ones for $53K. Guess what, the loaded 75K M3 wis selling for about $45K and the rare stripper, if you can find one, probably $43K with low miles.

So someone spent $20K more to get potentially $2k more 4 years later! That is my experience and opinion on resale value on M cars in a nutshell.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2015, 02:19 PM   #21
krhodes1
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2011 128i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by nike001 View Post
Not for a dealership they're not - you'll find the opposite is true. Most people who walk onto the lot either know exactly what they want, or have no idea whatsoever.. and the latter is what most BMW buyers are. Once that one guy comes onto the lot knowing exactly what they want then yeah, the manual will be an easy sell.

There aren't as many BMW enthusiasts as there once were.. most are just in it for the badge.
To maximize value, you have to market to the correct audience. The correct audience for a stickshift sports coupe (or station wagon) is NOT a dealership.

Appreciate 1
      07-19-2015, 03:30 PM   #22
BMW335iOn18s
Resident BMW Fanboy
United_States
Rep
Drives: F82 CS SMB

Quote:
Originally Posted by nike001
Quote:
Not only that, manual transmission BMWs are easier to sell than their automatic counterparts.

That's regional. Also, yes a base 228i in 6 speed would be hard to sell, but an M-sport model would not be. I know of several dealers who weren't willing to discount an MT M235i because they knew enthusiasts think with their heart, not their wallet.

There are more BMW enthusiasts than ever before, but there are also more customers buying BMWs too. The ratio may have shrunk, but badge snobs have always been buying BMWs. You can't expect a car company to solely survive off of you and me.

Here's the problem. Let's say BMW sold 500 stick shift ZHPs in 2005. Today, they're selling 500 335i 6MTs a year (I'm making these numbers up). The problem is, let's say in 2005, they sold 5000 3 series a year. However, last year, they might have sold 8000 3 series total. Meaning that now, the percentage of manuals to autos is lower.