THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics N55 (M235i) Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Tuning MHD Tuning...

01-16-2018, 04:22 PM   #45
jmwilson125
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by zipphreak View Post
xdrive, auto 8spd, sport cat, jb4, m perf can, wagner evo2 performance IC, ER chargepipe, k&n dropin, 93 octane. camber plates

The car is very very alive in comfort mode in low rpms, and even more so in sport/sport+ with the rpm's higher. The JB4 brought the car alive more so under specific conditions, WOT. No so much in the low/mid band. Boost is allowed under load conditions, then the waste-gate can start close to spin up and make boost. The MHD flash tune has opened my eyes to the world of flash tuning I'm going to be working with Terry on getting him some logs so I can help create a BEF for MHD + JB4 together. I think this will be a good combination in the future for those still looking for additive fueling like PI or Methanol.
Yes that's the route I plan to go. Currently fbo + meth jb4 map 3. I am getting a battery tender and the beamergeeks cable soon and plan on flashing to bef sometime in the next couple months.
Appreciate 1
Dylan861330.00
      01-19-2018, 04:47 PM   #46
cxp213
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M235i

I'm not sure if you guys have seen the following, but some interesting things to consider:
http://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho...&postcount=946
http://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho...&postcount=950

PTF explains that OBDII flash does not allow for full readout of the DME like a bench flash would, which I'm sure we all knew (at least for now). They also state that it'll trip the flash counter and change data/timestamp that cannot be reverted back to its OE/original state once the DME is unlocked via OBDII and not on the bench.

As I stated in that thread, I honestly don't think tripping the counter and not being able to put it back to its completely original state is not that big of a deal once your warranty runs out. Even after it runs out, it MAY only matter when it comes time to sell and only if the buyer is informed enough to look for it. Are there any other instances where this inability to revert back to completely OE state of the DME might impact you negatively?

I know MHD does a back up, but other than the parameters that they change for the tunes, what else are they backing up? Does the back up include the flash info and any other pertinent info for full recovery back to OE state (including timestamps, counters, etc that can't currently be overwritten via OBDII)? I'm hoping they're backing up everything they can read, just in case features get expanded in the future.

I'm certainly not forgetting that PTF is a competing company with a competing product, but those are certainly valid concerns one should have. At least, in our current state of OBDII flashing anyway, imo.

One thing that's in the back of my mind, though, is that once the DME is bench unlocked, PTF also does their flashes via OBDII. So, I'm wondering if bench unlock allows for additional features/parameters to be read via OBDII or if bench flash simply allows full access to existing features/parameters. If it's the former, then bench flashing will always be superior, because you're expanding features. But, if it's simply a matter of access, then it should only be a matter of the simpler OBDII flashing having to catch up. I hope it's the latter, for our sake, lol.
Appreciate 1
FSociety3810.00
      01-19-2018, 07:38 PM   #47
zipphreak
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: m235xi

It's good information, and I'm sure things will progress as they get more and more educated in flashing via OBDII. As of right now, I've flashed about 5 times, I'm doing the MHD beta testing and BMS JB4 BEF beta testing I'm over 50,000 miles, and not worried about warranty. Or the seal on my ECU broken, or drilled

Theres nothing like plugging in a cable, and hitting a button + flashing your DME
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2018, 08:49 PM   #48
cxp213
Lieutenant
Rep

If someone knowledgeable on this, specifically with regards to my question above, would chime in, it'd really be nice info to have. I'm sure I'm not the only one who's curious to know a bit more about the current state of things.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2018, 08:57 PM   #49
zipphreak
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: m235xi

From my perspective, i would steer clear of the OBDII flashes until more people hop on board and they figure out the tuning of the F-series Bosch mevd17.2.g DME. MHD is eventually releasing the XDF file for the ECU soon which has all the parameters definitions, but we'll see. The tuners are playing with tables to see what they do (by volunteering paying beta users) to gather logs and to interpret those logs to produce better maps.

MHD/TwistedTuning/BMS are all in Beta and are constantly learning/tweaking things. It's not a final product. MHD is great as a platform for flashing, but the maps (by TwistedTuning) are still not perfect. Boost targets seem very low when i ran Stage2 (about 10psi) and Stage2+ (11-12psi), some overboost on 4th-5th gear shifts, AFR's are fairly rich too (low mid 12's, some dips into 11's). Ignition timings are stable, AFR's are stable.

Last edited by zipphreak; 01-20-2018 at 07:23 PM..
Appreciate 2
FSociety3810.00
cxp213313.00
      01-20-2018, 06:49 AM   #50
aturk
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by zipphreak View Post
From my perspective, i would steer clear of the OBDII flashes until more people hop on board and they figure out the tuning of the F-series Bosch mevd17.2.g DME. MHD is eventually releasing the XDF file for the ECU soon which has all the parameters definitions, but we'll see. The tuners are playing with tables to see what they do (by volunteering paying beta users) to gather logs and to interpret those logs to produce better maps.

MHD/TwistedTuning/BMS are all in Beta and are constantly learning/tweaking things. It's not a final product. MHD is great as a platform for flashing, but the maps (by TwistedTuning) are still not perfect. Boost targets seem very low, overboost on shifts, AFRs are dropping lower than necessary low 12's into 11's. Max power is like 12.7 for regular fuel.
Hopefully these maps are good to go by mid-late April.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2018, 12:06 PM   #51
jamieattfield
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M235i

Hi guys. Another enlisted member of the MHD beta program. Finally got around to doing some logging. Started with stage 2 but it felt conservative so I installed stage 2+ and immediately felt the difference. Car feels amazing. It may be a little too aggressive for my car and fueling, but I love how it feels. In comparison it feels somewhat like map 2 on the jb4 but without the stuttering and hesitations due to lack of fueling or misfiring.

Here's a link to my log: https://datazap.me/u/jamieattfield/b...data=3-4-16-24

Overall the power is smooth all the way to redline. Exhaust note has changed and is more aggressive as are the infamous burbles. All good things. It seems I'm only hitting just under 15psi which seems a little low. Thoughts here?

Looking forward to the full version of the MHD flash app, with added options for the tunes. Cheers
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2018, 09:43 PM   #52
jamieattfield
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Thanks. I'm running a Wagner catted dp, M-performance exhaust and 91 octane. So
minimal mods for stage 2+ really. Considering an upgraded intercooler, however I don't track it or push it super hard all the time, so I'm not too worried about heat soak. But it'd just help in all ways I'm sure. Happy as a clam with how it feels compared to the JB4.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2018, 08:49 PM   #53
Tcmcec
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '16 Mineral Gray M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamieattfield View Post
Thanks. I'm running a Wagner catted dp, M-performance exhaust and 91 octane. So
minimal mods for stage 2+ really. Considering an upgraded intercooler, however I don't track it or push it super hard all the time, so I'm not too worried about heat soak. But it'd just help in all ways I'm sure. Happy as a clam with how it feels compared to the JB4.
What map did you usually run on JB4 prior to MHD? Does the MHD feel as good as map 2 or 7? Are you running e30 mixture or just pump gas? My map5 on 91 pump gas pulls 14-15 PSI. Looking for a consists 17-18 PSI and wondering if MHD will do the trick?
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2018, 05:41 PM   #54
jamieattfield
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

I was on Map 2 but was getting a very jittery throttle delivery due to lack of fueling and octane. Not really the jb4's fault rather I wasn't there, mod wise for this level. Map 5 was smoother but I felt I had more power on the table. Didn't try map 7 since I didn't have the mods or fuel (91 octane). I'm getting around 15 psi on the MHD stage 2+ which, for my level of mods, feels perfect. The psi level is one thing, but the way in which the power is delivered is just as important. The mhd tune feels like it's part of the car. Depending on mods you may hit your psi range. But the maps are on the conservative side right now. Still, I love the way it feels.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2018, 11:12 AM   #55
MrMoe99
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 14' BMW M235i

Bumping this thread to see if there are any MHD users out there who would like to share their experience with the flash tune
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2018, 12:07 PM   #56
sbinshihon
Captain
Rep
Drives: X5 M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMoe99 View Post
Bumping this thread to see if there are any MHD users out there who would like to share their experience with the flash tune
Its great. Good power and super smooth..
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2018, 12:18 PM   #57
MrMoe99
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbinshihon View Post
Are you running stage 2+?
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2018, 12:20 PM   #58
sbinshihon
Captain
Rep
Drives: X5 M Sport

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbinshihon View Post
Are you running stage 2+?
Yes, I flashed straight to stage 2+ but I have an x5 so the power is taking a lot of weight.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2018, 10:26 AM   #59
cxp213
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
What are you looking for? Most reviews and impressions can be found on the main MHD thread, but you'll mostly just find people saying it's "smooth" and "fast" but no real comparisons or numbers just yet.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2018, 05:50 PM   #60
MrMoe99
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cxp213 View Post
What are you looking for? Most reviews and impressions can be found on the main MHD thread, but you'll mostly just find people saying it's "smooth" and "fast" but no real comparisons or numbers just yet.
Yeah thats what i seem to find as well. Im looking for some numbers
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2018, 01:14 PM   #61
digisides
Rep
Drives: m235i

MHD versus BM3

My question that I've been unable to answer in the forums is:

For a stock F22 (m235i) is MHD or bootmod3 the better tune? It seems MHD is cheaper but the technical support isn't as good. Can anyone else chime in with their thoughts?
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2018, 02:06 PM   #62
cxp213
Lieutenant
Rep

Until someone posts logs of both MHD and BM3 on the same car, you can't objectively claim one is better than the other. I actually only know of 1 person who has both on the same car and it was said that MHD is a smoother daily driver but BM3 makes a bit more power.

Regardless, neither are perfect and have nuances of their own. BM3 has significantly more updates so they're constantly tinkering, whereas MHD updates once a month, if at all. BM3 likes to communicate with their customers more often and more on a personal level, whereas MHD's goal appears to be a more hassle-free tuning app. Power-wise, they seem close but BM3 has many more putting down faster times and higher dyno numbers for OTS tunes. Feature-wise, BM3 is faster at flashing and allows a tinkerer to make map changes on their own while MHD has less errors with its baked in features. Cost difference isn't significant enough to sway your decision one way or the other, but BM3 is more expensive if that's your main concern.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2018, 02:31 PM   #63
digisides
Rep

Thanks for your excellent input- this is a great summary of what I've read on the forums as well. It seems bootmod3 is worth the extra money for the reasons you've stated. Their customer support alone is likely worth the cost differential.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2018, 07:35 PM   #64
frenchfry675
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: M235i xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by digisides View Post
Thanks for your excellent input- this is a great summary of what I've read on the forums as well. It seems bootmod3 is worth the extra money for the reasons you've stated. Their customer support alone is likely worth the cost differential.
I just bought bm3 just waiting for my activation code I've been back and forth between the two. Ultimately I came to the same conclusion as you. In the long run it would be cheaper for bm3 since you can resell the license plus it will work with my iPhone.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2018, 09:28 AM   #65
ChrisFulton
Lieutenant
Rep

Post #1806 will give you some numbers.
http://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho...450585&page=83

I have been very pleased with my MHD tune. Daily driving/spirited driving it's flawless.

I am a bit frustrated with it on the track. There is some hesitation/stumble in the higher RPMs at WOT. Definitely not a deal breaker but it's there and I hope it can be further sorted out.

My earlier logs showed torque limiter issues and some timing issues but all of that has improved. I think some if not most of my issues on the track could probably be addressed with better/higher octane fuel. (Crappy Cali 91 also seems to often vary in quality.)

I've essentially flashed it and forgot about it as the car runs strong and smooth. I now just need to spend the time to figure out how to address the issues I'm having running hard at the track.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2018, 08:19 PM   #66
H3G0N3_F22
Private
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M235xi

Is the advertised hp and Nm wheel or crack figures for F series cars?
Appreciate 0