THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum BMW M2 wish list

09-25-2013, 04:02 PM   #23
IEDEI
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: L'Orange

Garage List
2011 BMW 1M  [8.40]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Race 1 View Post
disagree, those are just the 2 options that I enjoy or want in my vehicles. I dislike "packages" because they all contain items that arent really needed. Lets say they have a technology package, which includes nav, for $3,000. Thats all fine and great but I do not need 3 out of the 7 items included, and out of the 7 items included all I really want is the navigation. SO, I rather be able to have a few options and just select "nav" for $1,800 and call it a day, then have to select a "package" because it is the only way to get the nav in the vehicle. Know what I mean? This is what they did on the 1M and that's why it kept costs low and people got "exactly how they wanted it" and why till this day they still LOVE their cars ... besides the fact that it is a great car in general.
well when i think of 'simple' i think of stripper versions with little or no options. Navigation is one of the more complex options you can get in terms of weight and altering the way the interior looks and feels (electrical wires, idrive, different dash, etc). you may like comfort access and that's fine....but i don't think it qualifies as 'simple'.

i personally really like having Nav and iDrive....so could never buy a BMW without one, but i don't think of them as part of a 'simple' setup. Maybe it's just the word simple that i found questionable!
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2013, 10:33 AM   #24
Race 1
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: E46 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by IEDEI View Post
well when i think of 'simple' i think of stripper versions with little or no options. Navigation is one of the more complex options you can get in terms of weight and altering the way the interior looks and feels (electrical wires, idrive, different dash, etc). you may like comfort access and that's fine....but i don't think it qualifies as 'simple'.

i personally really like having Nav and iDrive....so could never buy a BMW without one, but i don't think of them as part of a 'simple' setup. Maybe it's just the word simple that i found questionable!
It think nav makes the interior "look" of the car. Also how many cars above 40k come without navigation as an option? I think BMW realizes whether its a track based car or not if people are spending more than 40k they may want a car that not only looks the part on the interior but plays the part in functionality especially in the USA. I could never own a BMW without a navigation system. It just makes the interior feel and look high end and is extremely useful interior item. BMW knows majority of any "race" car will still be used on the street 98% of the time. If the M3/M4/M5/M6 all come with nav as options or in packages, it will come in the M2 as well.

Simple to me means a few options you as the consumer must have if you are going to purchase that vehicle new. Honestly, it is my only "must have" option in a new M car at least.

So let me try again. I'll take the car in a few ways

1) 6sp, speed clothe, nav, sunroof delete, M performance brakes? - if NOT included I would purchase them (no ceramics)
2) Everything above + comfort access for convenience of a new high end BMW and every day daily driving ... +$500?
3) comfort access + upgraded stereo if price isn't insane ... +$850

Anything past that I simply do not need. If I went to the dealer and found one in the lot and it had leather would I take it? Absolutely if the price is right. Do I necessarily want leather? Nah I dont need it! and definitely do not want a sunroof and heated seats because I dont use both. BUT when you find leather, and heated seats, generally you find it in a package that includes a stupid sunroof as well as other options like "folding mirrors!?" ... Now im at BMW and looking to spend an extra 5k because leather added heated seats, a sunroof deleting my carbon roof (carbon is a must have!), and stupid folding mirrors that look cool? So I walk out empty handed and the next guy who goes in purchases the car and spends the extra money making BMW believe that these M2 cars sell like hot cakes and for an extra 5k (lets say 60K OTD instead of 55K simply because of options I dont want or need - well you dont really want or need them either!)

I just feel like with the 1M they gave us the car and the options the way I suggested above and people ate it up! I hope they keep the platform of options to the consumers in similar fashion for the future M2
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2013, 07:06 PM   #25
amdmaxx
My gift Registry: M2
United_States
Rep
Drives: Future Mowner of Monster

S55
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2013, 05:04 AM   #26
bplewis24
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 LBB M2 Comp; Tesla Model3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bread View Post
No fluff, less weight, no carbon anything, leave the marketing bs off, just make it a good driver.
I'm confused. Carbon helps reduce weight. One of the reasons the M4 has reduced weight compared to the e92 is because of the carbon driveshaft. I would hope an M2 would have a similar build.

I basically want a smaller, lighter M4 with less options. Meaning I want the carbon pieces, the LSD, the custom-built chassis, etc.

Unlike others, I do want a lot of color/interior options. The more the better.
      09-28-2013, 12:41 PM   #27
chief
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 Melbourne Red M3 Coupe

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [9.51]
Make it the Drivers Car

Hmmm...how about...

1. 2800 lb curb weight
2. 375-400 hp
3. 6 speed & DCT options
4. 'Track pack', i.e. something like the Laguna Seca Model for the Boss 302
5. High Performance Seats (maybe part of track pack)
6. Standard Big Brakes (say the set off the current M3 - would work well given the weight of the car)
7. Hydraulic steering pump (rather than electric)
8. Tunable engine and suspension
9. Limited lux or comfort features in standard car (or the ability to de-content with Track Pack)
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2013, 11:54 PM   #28
paddy335
Major
Rep
Drives: M140i;X5 40d

I'd love to see a lighter more sports-oriented version of the M4, but I don't expect to.

I think it will be a quick car that is aimed at a lower price point to attract new customers from other brands (RS3, Golf R, MB CLA etc), but there is no way BMW will build it good enough to cannibalise M4 sales.
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2013, 09:34 AM   #29
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Smog machines

Quote:
Originally Posted by bplewis24 View Post
I'm confused. Carbon helps reduce weight. One of the reasons the M4 has reduced weight compared to the e92 is because of the carbon driveshaft. I would hope an M2 would have a similar build.

I basically want a smaller, lighter M4 with less options. Meaning I want the carbon pieces, the LSD, the custom-built chassis, etc.

Unlike others, I do want a lot of color/interior options. The more the better.
When I think of light cars things like Porsche, BRZ, Miata, Corvette and similar come to mind. Think carbon and fat things like Aston Martin, Bentley and Lamborghini come to mind. Those light cars have little or no carbon, while lazy engineers reach to it for already heavy cars to be able to charge a premium to turn a fat car 1% lighter. Aluminum and high strength steel likely could save the same or at least similar weight at a lower cost.

My ex's Audi A4 had a carbon driveshaft fifteen years ago, and while having lighter drivertrain parts is good, it's not helping the center of gravity. The new carbon roof bow is cool though and I suspect uses like that will continue to permeate BMW's whole line. We already know the weight of the M135i, so the M235i is unlikely to be any lighter, and likely heavier due to the LSD and additional content likely to be standard.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2013, 12:35 PM   #30
scrammer
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3 Ultimate

I think that MB AMG already set the pace in this segment with the new CLA 45 AMG - 360 hp 2.0 litre turbo 4 and AWD ... I believe that BMW will respond with this car in mind

http://www.mercedes-amg.com/webspeci.../index_eng.php

Last edited by scrammer; 10-08-2013 at 12:47 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2013, 12:18 PM   #31
BimmerMat135
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: E82M/S213 E450 A/T

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrammer View Post
I think that MB AMG already set the pace in this segment with the new CLA 45 AMG - 360 hp 2.0 litre turbo 4 and AWD ... I believe that BMW will respond with this car in mind

http://www.mercedes-amg.com/webspeci.../index_eng.php
I hope they won`t. A 4cyl engine will be a total deal breaker for me in the M2 even if the car weight 100lbs more with a straight 6. Having a car that sound like a 320i for almost twice the price doesn`t make sense to me.
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2013, 01:20 PM   #32
ASAP
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 X3 M40i

I see a heavily modified n55 for this car, a detuned s55 would be a dream.
      10-12-2013, 09:06 AM   #33
scrammer
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3 Ultimate

As I read all of these forums regarding the new 2 3 4, I can't stop thinking that all of these cars are basically the same thing just re incarnated

Let's make the M2 a little different ... How about a light weight 'raw' track car for the street with a noteworthy 10,000 rpm naturally aspirated inline 6 engine.

I want to see BMW engineers give us something special not just a smaller version of a 4 with a de-tuned 'off the shelf' engine.

We need some excitement back in the ///M line-up
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2013, 09:34 AM   #34
ozinaldo
Brigadier General
Portugal
Rep
Drives: 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrammer View Post
As I read all of these forums regarding the new 2 3 4, I can't stop thinking that all of these cars are basically the same thing just re incarnated

Let's make the M2 a little different ... How about a light weight 'raw' track car for the street with a noteworthy 10,000 rpm naturally aspirated inline 6 engine.

I want to see BMW engineers give us something special not just a smaller version of a 4 with a de-tuned 'off the shelf' engine.

We need some excitement back in the ///M line-up
While you are absolutely right about the need for excitement and for something special and spicy, sadly, it won't happen. Best bet is for a really good base little M car which will be easily tunable. Like some 1Ms which were turned into a track monster, relatively easily, some even kept the appearance pretty clean.

I would love to see a factory 1M CSL back then and will love to see a M2 CSL in the near future but I believe it is simply day-dreaming.
BMW 1M-SOLD-: TECH: Evolve Race+N55mids, Evolve IC, Michelin PSS, ER cp, aFe filter, CDVx, Vorshlag camber plates, BMS OCC EXTERIOR: trunk spoiler, blacklines, black grills, IND goodies INTERIOR: Alcantara steering wheel, steel pedals, custom mats, MPower e-brake.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2013, 10:58 AM   #35
bitcore
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F87 BSM Manual M2 Comp

Electric Windows
Air conditioning
Defroster
A radio w/ ipod connectivity
No i-drive
S55 B30
Clutch LSD with bolt-on ring gear
Heavy duty drive and half-shafts
Non-electric seats (come on, they are slow and heavy)
No sunroof
Less sound deadening material
Whatever transmission options that mate to the S55 B30

Techno-violet
Appreciate 0