THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum comfort/sport/sport +/eco

08-18-2022, 08:30 PM   #23
nazali
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 230 2020 vert F23

ok so I noticed today as has been posted above and concur, when pulling away at the lights OMG, am I driving an old vauxhall astra diesel ? LOL I endured an eco drive home, wasn't that pleasant. Didn't feel like driving my BMW

Otherwise why do I own or drive one over say a hundah, part of the feeling of getting out of work or weekend driving is getting the woohoo feeling.

I'm not getting that with eco mode.

Also am I really saving anymore if I'm needing to keep my foot on the gas longer and more ?

I think BMW want me to drive it comfort mode otherwise why is it default, also it seems stupid the car wont stay in the last mode you left it in.

Very interested in everyone's opinion, but I think comfort mode is best, and sport if I pull up along side someone

Some people have a daily cup of coffee every morning from Tims/starbucks, I guess my cup of coffee is lossing that extra petrol for not using eco mode

thanks again all!
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2022, 08:58 PM   #24
60_Driver
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235i 6mt vert

Sport 90% of the time. Comfort or eco if I get stuck on the highway by mistake or if I’m coming home late. Haven’t played with sport+ too much yet.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2022, 10:07 PM   #25
PeanuKeeyes
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E34 | MX5

Comfort when I have my parents in the car, Sport + pretty much everywhere else. The Dinan Shockware tune in this setting is actually pretty forgiving on patchy roads and it takes corners a bit flatter. I like the idea of smooth linear throttle response for control on track but in this 4-banger + turbo lag, rev-matching with “comfort” throttle often has me coming up short and stressing the drivetrain. Way more natural feeling to heel toe with Sport throttle. Less lag / quicker shifting. Sometimes I’ll blip the throttle to downshift in comfort mode and the tach doesn’t even budge lol.
      08-19-2022, 12:57 AM   #26
SoftShoe
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '19 BMW M240i

Surprised no one else is keen on Traction mode.

One touch access.
Good noises.
Lets the car get out of shape if driven hard.
Maybe even more than Sport +
Leaves space for you to correct.
And will save you if you fail to.
It’s essentially sport + without the stiff suspension, stiff steering, and very sensitive throttle.

Run it on an auto in manual mode.
Shift with the lever (or paddles).
Good fun.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2022, 05:33 AM   #27
leftoverture
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW 228i

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoftShoe View Post
Somehow I feel like I’m repeating myself.

I have an 80-mile round trip commute.
On that commute, long sections of Highway rarely call for throttle changes.

Eco often (not always) makes sense to me for those stretches.
Ain’t your car, ain’t your commute.
Shall we start discussing what side people should part their hair on now?
I don't have hair any more.

I used eco mode when I was driving long stretches across the plains on our last road trip. It seemed to actually save some gas maybe, but scolded me if I went over about 70.... which I did most of the time. I did get up to 37 mpg on one stretch. From the graphic on the screen I think it maybe disabled drive to the front wheels (I have x-drive). Otherwise, at a steady cruise I didn't notice much difference, but it does force you to use the ESS system which annoyed the heck out of me when ever I came off the freeway.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2022, 05:51 AM   #28
Shovelman
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 230i

RWD 6MT 230. This car is so much better than my old Chevy or anything else I've owned that comfort mode is good enough 99% of the time. Yeah there's that annoying turbo lag but other than that I'm smiling. If there's snow I sometimes turn off traction control. Other modes I don't notice a difference.

Part mine on the left...wait, does the mirror reverse that...could ask my wife but she's seeing it from the other direction so that means....so when I comb my right hand reaches over to the left side of my head which means....
Appreciate 1
nazali1313.50
      08-19-2022, 08:33 AM   #29
230iZTR
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Signal Orange wrapped 230i THP

I daily in Comfort, stop and go traffic in Eco, spirited street driving in Sport, and use sport+ for AutoX and track work. All the modes, somewhat regularly.
Appreciate 1
nazali1313.50
      08-19-2022, 01:18 PM   #30
RGM330i
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW 228i Gran Coupe

Sport except when I am on South Carolina 95 and 26 roads. Then, Eco to soften the suspension (2018 M240i w/Adaptive Suspension). I drove Porsche Caymans for 10+ years and prefer stiffer ride, heavier steering, quickened throttle response.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2022, 01:42 PM   #31
XutvJet
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2011 Cayman Base, 2016 M235

I don't understand why so many go into Comfort or ECO to get the softer suspension and lighter steering. Go into Settings -> Modes -> Sport Mode and then select "Drivetrain". With that you get the softer suspension and lighter steering with the much better Sport throttle response plus exhaust burbles.
      08-19-2022, 01:46 PM   #32
XutvJet
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2011 Cayman Base, 2016 M235

Quote:
Originally Posted by albertw View Post
When I try to slide the rear a bit with throttle while near the cornering traction limit, the traction / stability control does very strange things in Sport which it does not do in Sport +. I repeated it once and never used Sport since.
That's because ALL nannies are on in Sport mode and some of those nannies are quite preemptive in their reactionary nature. This can include engaging the brakes and killing the throttle even when the car isn't sliding or the tires aren't spinning. The nannies can shut down the fun before it even happens.
      08-19-2022, 04:24 PM   #33
albertw
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: M240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by XutvJet View Post
That's because ALL nannies are on in Sport mode and some of those nannies are quite preemptive in their reactionary nature. This can include engaging the brakes and killing the throttle even when the car isn't sliding or the tires aren't spinning. The nannies can shut down the fun before it even happens.
It's more than just shutting down the fun. In my car, instead of the power spinning a rear and causing the rear end to step out, it moves the car sideways very abruptly about three feet without changing the way it is pointing. If you're cornering near the traction limit, three feet outwards can be all the margin you've left yourself.

I've caused mild oversteer in Sport + many times and it is always predictable and controllable (despite the open differential which many here criticize) with none of the weird motion I've seen in Sport.

If this is behavior in Sport is normal, it suggest to me that people who drive in Sport on twisty roads aren't interested in inducing oversteer (which, to me, is 30% of the reasons to own a 240 instead of an X3).
      08-19-2022, 06:56 PM   #34
Kernel Kurtz
Major
Rep
Drives: 2020 M240i xDrive

Quote:
Surprised no one else is keen on Traction mode.

One touch access.
Good noises.
Lets the car get out of shape if driven hard.
Maybe even more than Sport +
Leaves space for you to correct.
And will save you if you fail to.
It’s essentially sport + without the stiff suspension, stiff steering, and very sensitive throttle.

Run it on an auto in manual mode.
Shift with the lever (or paddles).
Good fun.
I wish I could have the sport chassis setting in Traction mode (stiffer suspension and heavier steering). Traction is way more fun for sliding around a little, but the horribly overassisted steering just kills the enjoyment.

Sport + has very high shift points, not suitable for normal driving unless you go full manual IMHO. Unfortunately while the car has a lot of things that can be adjusted, there are not enough options to really choose all the ones you want at once.

Last edited by Kernel Kurtz; 08-19-2022 at 07:01 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2022, 08:03 PM   #35
ggggbmw
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2 Manual

98% of the time I'm in Comfort, enjoying the nice ride while commuting.

On track, usually Traction, which lets me apply more power out of corners. Or Sport (with drivetrain off) if it's wet or I'm tired.

When autocrossing, or goofing off or ice driving, I'll use VDC OFF. Not ready to leave all the nannies behind on the big track yet, and Traction gives me the freedom I want.

Eco mode is only used in horrible stuck dead stop traffic jams. Or, if I remember, in really icy conditions where I want the softest throttle response possible.

I never use Sport+, because I totally hate the 'responsive' throttle input.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2022, 06:12 PM   #36
Frosty
Colonel
Rep
Drives: M240i - 2021 - 6MT -

Quote:
Originally Posted by nazali View Post
Guy's do you use all these different modes if so when ?
I just usually leave it on comfort.
I tried sport mode the other day after a long while and boy was the stearing heavy, switch back LOL
today I ran it eco mode
I don't really notice a difference
Under constant steady acceleration....change the mode, you WILL feel the variation, it's marked for throttle response immediately...
Prelude (5MT) (1995)
Appreciate 1
nazali1313.50
      08-22-2022, 06:21 PM   #37
Frosty
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by XutvJet View Post
In Sport mode you have three customizable options:

1) You can make the steering light and the suspension soft while having the Sport throttle (and more aggressive automatic shifting) by selecting "Drivetrain".

2) You can have the heavy steering and stiff shocks but the Comfort throttle
(and Comfort automatic shifting) by selecting "Chassis".

3) You can have the heavy steering, stiff shocks, and Sport throttle (and more aggressive automatic shifting) by selecting "Chassis & Drivetrain".

I almost entirely run in Sport mode with Drivetrain selected. I am running Dinan springs in the front and Bilstein shocks and stock springs in the back though. It's by far the best ride quality for the street. It feels the way BMW used to tune their M cars (real taunt, but compliant).

When I'm driving aggressively and the roads are somewhat smooth, I switch to Sport+ so that the nannies are dialed back a bit.

If you're a 6MT driver, I don't see how you can ever be happy driving these cars with the Comfort throttle setting. It's way too laggy. The Sport throttle increases both throttle sensitivity and waste gate operation for quicker turbo response. Both are needed for maximum 6MT driving enjoyment.
BINGO
Prelude (5MT) (1995)
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2022, 06:23 PM   #38
Frosty
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
I do, quite obviously.
I do too when stuck in traffic or cruising in slow commuting congestion
Prelude (5MT) (1995)
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2022, 09:57 AM   #39
Ajowhan
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: m240i 'vert

Quote:
Originally Posted by atek View Post
Unless you've reconfigured it, Sport = comfort suspension with sport engine and drivetrain

sport + = sport everything

I will concur, the first start of the day ill leave it in comfort for about 5-10 min during warm up. Then straight to sport +.

100% agree
Right when I bought it used, I check and my sport = sport suspension with sport engine and drivetrain ^^

I do notice the shift point is different for sport and sport+ with sport + being more aggresive in downshift but Im just so used to sports and those difference happened very few of the times.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2022, 08:27 PM   #40
nazali
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 230 2020 vert F23

I'm going to have another play withe the modes considering the different POV's

one thing though the traction button, why would you disable it, ... I was told by a tire shop/(they did road race and alignment) to drive with traction on, except in heavy snow

I've been experimenting with traction off and traction off sports+ mode and you can feel the gear change differently but no difference in handling with or without the traction

I mean I'm not actually poodling along nor am I slamming it on corners ?

txs
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2022, 11:09 AM   #41
atek
I like biscuits
United_States
Rep
Drives: bmw m235i

Quote:
I'm going to have another play withe the modes considering the different POV's

one thing though the traction button, why would you disable it, ... I was told by a tire shop/(they did road race and alignment) to drive with traction on, except in heavy snow

I've been experimenting with traction off and traction off sports+ mode and you can feel the gear change differently but no difference in handling with or without the traction

I mean I'm not actually poodling along nor am I slamming it on corners ?

txs
There are certain instances other than purposefully getting sideways where you want traction control off - but most drivers don't have the skill to utilize it and are better off leaving it on.

Like you said, if you're not thrashing super hard or sliding corners, no real reason for you to turn it off.

What it does do, is cut throttle and apply brakes to limit wheel spin. That can be very bad for hard / track driving where you need complete control of the car at all times.
Appreciate 1
nazali1313.50
      08-25-2022, 11:22 AM   #42
dradernh
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 M240i

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by atek View Post
There are certain instances other than purposefully getting sideways where you want traction control off - but most drivers don't have the skill to utilize it and are better off leaving it on.

Like you said, if you're not thrashing super hard or sliding corners, no real reason for you to turn it off.

What it does do, is cut throttle and apply brakes to limit wheel spin. That can be very bad for hard / track driving where you need complete control of the car at all times.
Dynamic Traction Control is OFF unless you briefly press the DSC button or you're in Sport+ Mode. So do you guys turn it ON whenever you're not in Sport+ Mode - or are you in Sport+ Mode all of the time?
Appreciate 1
nazali1313.50
      08-25-2022, 11:25 AM   #43
freakystyly
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F22 B58 6MT

Post the chart again
Appreciate 2
dradernh4414.50
      08-25-2022, 11:36 AM   #44
Sportstick
Major General
Rep
Drives: '15 228i and '24 X3 sDrive30i

Quote:
Originally Posted by freakystyly View Post
Post the chart again
Which one? The one about how much we care about Econ setting?
Attached Images

2015 228i 6MT/Track Handling/Tech/Cold/Premium/Lighting/Driver Assistance/KCDesign Strut Brace/M2 LCAs/Rogue SSK/BBS SR/PS4S/ER Chargepipe/AA Intercooler/Dinan Shockware/MPerformance Spoiler/Black Grilles/Xpel Ultimate PPF & Prime XR+ Tint/Adam's Ceramic/no CDV
2024 X3 sDrive30i/MSport/Premium/Dynamic Handling/Shadowline/Parking/Xpel Prime XR Plus/Weathertech Cargo Liner
Appreciate 3
dradernh4414.50
JMcLellan2067.50