THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum 2-er vs 4-er - help me to decide

10-16-2014, 08:37 PM   #1
waitwhat
Private
Rep
Drives: ...

Smile 2-er vs 4-er - help me to decide

Hey all, looking for some help - stuck trying to choose between these two cars. Sorry for my bad english, i’ll try my best to express myself.

I’m choosing between M235i xDrive and 420d xDrive - seems like a weird comparison, i know, but 220d is not an option since when i load it up with extras the price of the well-optioned 420d is only like $4-5k higher, to me it doesn’t make any sense.

First of all, i never drove anything faster than 110 hp before so i think for me it’s not really a choice between a slow car and a fast car. Judging by the youtube videos, even 20d looks like a rocket to me (in terms of 0-100).

Here’s a bit of a story: a few months ago i went at the local dealer to check out a 2 series, by that time my mind was set on this car and i didn’t really think about the 4 series (that's why i decided to make the thread in this forum). But the first car that caught my eye was 428i xDrive: Mineral Grey, M-Sport with alcantara seats, huge 19’’ wheels. So i jumped in. And you know what? That’s exactly how i imagined a feel of a modern coupe, both sporty and luxury. I was completely blown away, didn’t even want to get out of that car lol. Then i went to the 2-er - 220d i guess, Estoril Blue, M-Sport, same alcantara interior. And gotta say it felt like a massive downgrade from the interior of the 4-er i’ve been inside a minute ago. Less space (even though i’m not a tall guy), the interior itself is too simple, plus there was a sun right in my face lol.

Also, tried to imagine a perfect driver for these cars. The 2 series felt like a 18 years old guy who drives fast and always in a rush to somewhere, that youth thing haha, while the 4 series made an impression of a more luxury, more grown-up vehicle that would suit the guy in his mid-to-late 20’s - he’s already accomplished something, the car is here, that girl in the passenger seat is here, all 3 having great time, no need to rush anywhere. I’m 22 years old, by the way.

Some might say that the best advice is to go test drive these cars… But i don’t want to completely lose my sleep after that lol, i’m still pretty far from the purchase and to go for a ride right now would be a torture i guess.

So here are the questions i have:

1) Are the interior of the 4-er is really much better than the 2-er’s in terms of materials and sound proofing? The latter is very important.

2) The 4 series has more powerful HK sound (360 watts vs 600 watts) and the music is very important to me. I don’t really know how 360 or 600 or 1200 watts sound, never been in a car with a decent sound system, but the difference is huge, right?

2) 20d’s 184 hp engine - is it enough for a city driving? Will i still be able to beat the majority of the cars around me?

3) I think i never go faster than 150 kmh while driving, there are no autobahns here and i’m not a track guy, so do i really need all this power that comes with M235i?

So yeah i think that's it, looking forward for the replies!
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2014, 08:49 PM   #2
Gate7
Oh rly?
Rep
Drives: 335i

It seems that your main concern is luxury and comfort.
You should look into Lexus or new C class. If you're set on bmw, you answered your own question - get the 428.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2014, 09:07 PM   #3
midwest 340xi 6sp
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 340xi

Why don't you just test drive em both and stop wondering....
      10-16-2014, 09:26 PM   #4
Sportstick
Major General
Rep
Drives: '15 228i and '24 X3 sDrive30i

Your age "imaginations" are funny. At 60, I left Mercedes for feeling too "old" and rejected the 3 and 4 Series as too isolated in favor of having fun in the 2. The "girl" in my 2 is my wife of 35 years! That's the essence of your decision. More cruising comfort in the 4 or more fun to drive in the 2. Once you know which of those is more appealing, the choice follows naturally. Interior quality is about the same. If you want more plush and comfort, the new C Class is a strong competitor.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2014, 10:41 PM   #5
artinz
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: m235i

I wonder why a 22-year cares about sound proofing.....
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2014, 10:21 PM   #6
hoppy6698
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: M235i, Estoril Blue on Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportstick View Post
Your age "imaginations" are funny. At 60, I left Mercedes for feeling too "old" and rejected the 3 and 4 Series as too isolated in favor of having fun in the 2. The "girl" in my 2 is my wife of 35 years! That's the essence of your decision. More cruising comfort in the 4 or more fun to drive in the 2. Once you know which of those is more appealing, the choice follows naturally. Interior quality is about the same. If you want more plush and comfort, the new C Class is a strong competitor.
I found the age bracketing as interesting as well. For the US, the M235i is about $4k more than the 428i as a starting point. Well equipped, both are still in the high $40s. I don't know very many 20 yr olds who could afford such a car w/o serious help from parents or working in finance.

Sounds like the OP is more into the slow, low, roll of a ride. In that case, I agree that the Lexus RC may be a better choice - less urgent, very dynamic design, but incredible sound deadening.

The HK on the 2 series is horrible compared to the 3 and 4 series (not sure why/how BMW screwed this one up so bad). While sound is important to me, it wasn't a deal breaker - I can always upgrade the speakers.

If the OP is dead set on BMW, sounds like he made up his own mind given his parameters. I know image was a factor for me as well. But like I said, I don't know many 20-somethings owning a M235i / 1M / 335is. Younger generation around here seem to focus on most power for the dollar, trending toward Subbie STi, Mitsu Evo, Mustang GT, Camaro, Focus ST, etc. The only car in that line up that remotely had me interested was the Mustang GT (very compelling imo).
      11-08-2014, 01:09 PM   #7
waitwhat
Private
Rep

Eh, most of the questions left with no answers.

Was at a dealer again, this time i tried to "feel" the 2-er first - and liked it way more than previously. The difference in interior wasn't THAT big to me this time, actually i even liked the simplicity of the 2-er's better.

Also, decided that M235i is out of my budget, i think it would be much more expensive car to keep than a 220d, even if the price difference is not that big after you load a 220d with options.

So it's a 220d vs 420d xDrive now.

And yeah, i'm set on a BMW. Period. I don't know how these cars drive yet, but in terms of design they're close to perfect (imo) - i just can't look at any other cars. Well, the new S-Class isn't bad but that's another story.

i will test drive both cars when i'll be closer to purchasing one, but i just can't stop thinking about one thing - is there a huge difference in comfort? i mean, road/wind noise, suspension... Is the 4-er really one step ahead? I think BMW pushes the 2-er more like a "track" car, while the 4-er is advertised as a more luxurious, more "daily driver" car. Is this true or it's just the marketing and the only question is "do you need a small car or a big car, cause basically they are the same quality?".
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2014, 02:22 PM   #8
overcoil
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i 6spd

I own a 235, though I test drove a 228 and 428.

If I needed a bigger trunk or if the 2 series interior were too tight, only then would I have moved into a 3 or 4-series.

The 2-series also drives smooth and quiet, it's not an economy or average made car, the 2-series is highly refined, superbly built car.
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2014, 02:24 PM   #9
Sportstick
Major General
Rep

Yes, they are basically the same quality, based on corporate standards for part design and material specifications. The 4 is larger and calibrated to be somewhat softer and more isolated. The 2 is smaller and more fun to drive. The 3 feels more like the 4, but adds two doors. They all work just fine as daily drivers...none require going to the track to justify the choice. If you can just decide between smaller/fun vs. larger/softer, the rest is about the same, other than $$$.
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2014, 02:45 PM   #10
whoosh
Higher than you
United_States
Rep
Drives: M235i xDrive

Based on owning an E92 and driving the current 3er for a couple days, I'd sum this up as:

4er: Autobahn / comfort focused, with the ability to keep itself sorted on a fun drive through some twisty roads.

2er: At home on the twisty roads, with the ability to be comfortable on a long highway trip for front seat passengers.

Your choice of diesel makes sense since you're more concerned about around town performance than outright speed on the Autobahn. You may find the 2 a little too stiffly sprung if you're always in town, especially if you equip with the track package.

The HK in the 2er sounds perfectly fine to me for car audio. I know many don't agree. I prefer to do critical listening on my home system. The 4 may have a better setup with more power/speakers. You should be able to judge this just by sitting at the dealer with known source material to play on both cars.

Current: '15 M235iX | '15 Macan S | '00 Honda S2000
Notable Previous: '12 E92 335is | '10 STi | '88 E30 325iX
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2014, 04:02 PM   #11
Sportstick
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by whoosh View Post
You may find the 2 a little too stiffly sprung if you're always in town, especially if you equip with the track package.
I was with you until this statement. Actually, it's just the reverse. The Track Package provides the MAdaptive suspension with a wide range between Comfort and Sport settings, enough to keep my wife smiling at the smoothness of the former...quite a feat on Michigan roads. When by myself, it goes into Sport and the choice of that much difference makes the Track Package an outstanding option.
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2014, 08:12 PM   #12
whoosh
Higher than you
United_States
Rep
Drives: M235i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportstick View Post
I was with you until this statement. Actually, it's just the reverse. The Track Package provides the MAdaptive suspension with a wide range between Comfort and Sport settings, enough to keep my wife smiling at the smoothness of the former...quite a feat on Michigan roads. When by myself, it goes into Sport and the choice of that much difference makes the Track Package an outstanding option.
Very good point about the adaptive suspension. In fairness, I have not driven a 2 without the adaptive suspension so my frame of reference is limited. However, even in comfort mode I find the adaptive suspension to be more sporting than my 335is Msport steel spring setup.

I 100% agree with you about the excellent calibration of the different modes. Sport+ = lose your license fast; Comfort = hours on the highway in comfort. They've done a fantastic job with this car.

Current: '15 M235iX | '15 Macan S | '00 Honda S2000
Notable Previous: '12 E92 335is | '10 STi | '88 E30 325iX
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2014, 05:30 AM   #13
RobTaylor
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 428; 228 Sport/TracPack

I am about to solve this puzzle: We already have a 428 Sport and a 228 Sport with Track Pack is on the way!
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2014, 11:01 AM   #14
hyperzulu
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by whoosh View Post
Very good point about the adaptive suspension. In fairness, I have not driven a 2 without the adaptive suspension so my frame of reference is limited. However, even in comfort mode I find the adaptive suspension to be more sporting than my 335is Msport steel spring setup.

I 100% agree with you about the excellent calibration of the different modes. Sport+ = lose your license fast; Comfort = hours on the highway in comfort. They've done a fantastic job with this car.
My 335is feels way stiffer than my M235i over broken pavement. Part of that is due to runflat 19s (on my 335is), but the 2 is light years ahead in comfort in comparison. I would not compare my 335is to a 4, unless maybe if it had runflats, 19" wheels and non adaptive suspension. But I bet it still rides a little better than the e92.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2014, 11:17 AM   #15
waitwhat
Private
Rep

Thanks for the comments, the choice seems a bit clearer now. Looks like the difference between these two cars is not as big as i imagine it - it's not like the 3 series compared to the 5 series, right?

The worst part is that i can't even decide which car looks better to me. It would be much easier to pick... I like how long, low and wide the 4er is, but i equally enjoy the "tight" look of the 2-er, that car is like some sneaky funky slipper, stubborn and fast (not sure if what i'm trying to say makes any sense in english, haha). E82 always gives me that impression when i see it on the road, and F22 does it even better.

A bit confused with what you guys said about the adaptive M suspension though - previously i heard that it does wonders in Comfort mode and the ride becomes more smooth overall, but now it seems like there are different opinions on this feature.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2014, 11:59 AM   #16
kd0t
Banned
Rep
Drives: M235i

To be honest, it all depends on how and what you want out of the car. I knew what I was getting myself into when I got the M235i. Your age comparison is rather subjective but here's my thoughts:

4 series: more comfortable/softer ride, more luxurious, better sound deadening,

2 series: a bit harsher ride, faster

I just turned 24 and I opted for something I wish I had in my teenage years. You won't go wrong with either car, but it all boils down to what you want out of the car.

I daily drive a Honda Civic to and from work. It makes my life a lot better coming home and seeing my 2 just to know it's all worth the hard work I've put in.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2014, 01:09 PM   #17
bobby66
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by kd0t View Post
To be honest, it all depends on how and what you want out of the car. I knew what I was getting myself into when I got the M235i. Your age comparison is rather subjective but here's my thoughts:

4 series: more comfortable/softer ride, more luxurious, better sound deadening,

2 series: a bit harsher ride, faster

I just turned 24 and I opted for something I wish I had in my teenage years. You won't go wrong with either car, but it all boils down to what you want out of the car.

I daily drive a Honda Civic to and from work. It makes my life a lot better coming home and seeing my 2 just to know it's all worth the hard work I've put in.
That is positive thinking dude, nothing puts a smile on my face than driving to work now.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2014, 07:36 PM   #18
Sportstick
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by waitwhat View Post
A bit confused with what you guys said about the adaptive M suspension though - previously i heard that it does wonders in Comfort mode and the ride becomes more smooth overall, but now it seems like there are different opinions on this feature.
There will always be a variety of opinions. But, keep in mind, some here have criticized Comfort as too soft (!!) for a BMW, while at least one road test said the Comfort setting rivaled some luxury cars for ride quality. I happen to agree, as it passed the "Wife Test" at my place, and she doesn't like bumpy!
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2014, 08:02 PM   #19
golf_234
Captain
Rep
Drives: E46, E90, F30