THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum New C-Class

10-14-2014, 08:41 PM   #1
mmmmm235i
Captain
Rep
Drives: 440xi GC

New C-Class

So I know this probably belongs in the 3/4 series forum, but I'm hoping we can compare these cars in a more civil manner because most of us don't own them or really want to. That being said they are both great cars and something I might consider the next time around.
I have not had a chance to drive the new C, but I have driven the F30 on many occassions and based on what I have seen BMW should be concerned. For many of us the new C-class is far too large for our tastes, but lest compare:
C400 v. F30 335
The 3 is coming in with 300hp while the C boasts 329hp 354tq stock. I just spent a little time building them on the websites and the price is within a few K when similiarly optioned. I'm looking for input from anyone whose had a chance to get behind the wheel of a new C class. Although the car is in more of a 5 series league at this point it has always competed with the 3. Do you think BMW will follow this trend in the next generation of the 3?
From what I have seen the interior of the C blows away BMW, usually this is subjective to me and typically I have found Benz interior to be boring, but the C with that black wood trim is gorgeous. I'd like to see BMW stand by performance and clean and simple interior, but if they are losing the performance battle or simply abandoning it, they have no choice but to step up the interior to keep up with competition.
Lets here what you guys think...

RETIRED:
2018 440xi GC, Carbon Black on Black/Blue
2014 M235i Black on Black, DINAN Stage 2
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2014, 09:04 PM   #2
tbc417
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

My parents just bought a brand new c class to drive in Boston as their spot is really small and the GL450 was way to big for it haha. I have driven it a few times and can say it drives great and looks stunning. It seems like a mini s class. The interior is stunning and absolutely blows the 3 series away (this hurts as I love the 3 series) performance wise it's a quick car, comfortable, and refined handling wise and if you add the sport package it allows you to select from 4 driving modes Eco, comfort, sport, and sport +. It also looks WAY better in person then in the ads. The gps screen that appears to be an afterthought isn't actually that bad in person. The build quality is just superb and I think bmw needs to be concerned mercedes will sell a ton of these. Price wise you get a lot more for your money with the new C then the 3 series which is too bad hopefully bmw catches up. I have always had bmws and currently have an m235i , I'm sure many will disagree with my assessment but that's my two cents. Sorry for any grammar mistakes. I'm posting from my phone.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2014, 09:05 PM   #3
tbc417
Private First Class
Rep

And your completely spot on with the interior it doesn't just blow away the 3 series it's nicer then most bmws in general reguardless of price with few exceptions.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2014, 09:09 PM   #4
mmmmm235i
Captain
Rep

Yes, these were my exact thoughts. Thanks for a little real world insight. My main concern was that it might just handle and perform pretty damn well. Based on what you are saying BMWs bread and butter is being threatened. Also whether we factor this in or not the fact that it looks as large and luxurious as an S class as long as it is not right next to one is a huge attraction to many people. In terms of status, where these cars were equals for so many years, the C class is going to be in another league.

RETIRED:
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2014, 09:18 PM   #5
midwest 340xi 6sp
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 340xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmmmm235i View Post
Yes, these were my exact thoughts. Thanks for a little real world insight. My main concern was that it might just handle and perform pretty damn well. Based on what you are saying BMWs bread and butter is being threatened. Also whether we factor this in or not the fact that it looks as large and luxurious as an S class as long as it is not right next to one is a huge attraction to many people. In terms of status, where these cars were equals for so many years, the C class is going to be in another league.
C&D nailed it...I've driven the C Class and I too would classify it as a compact luxury sedan with sport sedan aspirations..

If you want a Mini S and don't care as much about driving dynamics?

This is the car to get. Its gorgeous and solid as a vault too..

I may very well end up with an M235i next year, but this is a serious contender for my $$'s..I've grown somewhat bored with so much of what BMW puts out now

Last edited by midwest 340xi 6sp; 10-14-2014 at 09:47 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2014, 09:20 PM   #6
tbc417
Private First Class
Rep

Exactly! Quality wise the new c really is in a league of its own. My fathers a car guy and is constantly buying new cars. He picked up a E63 amgs last year and for reference the interior of the new c is much higher quality or at least feels like it then a car more then double its price... The s is still beyond lavish. Overall bmw is going to NEED to address this. I still think bmws in general handle better but for a lot of people it's going to come down to looks, equipment, and price and the c has bmw beat on all three.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2014, 09:28 PM   #7
Sportstick
Major General
Rep
Drives: '15 228i and '24 X3 sDrive30i

I just sold a prior generation C Class and didn't look back. MB is building great luxury cars in different sizes, but none of them are "sport sedans" and don't feel anything like one. The rolling "bank vault" is back. The unfortunate part from my test drives of the 3 and 4 is that BMW has also strayed, and doesn't have the interior to go along with the dilution of "sport" with the intentional or unintentional dynamics of "luxury" they substituted.

I cannot abide the glued on iPad...I just can't stare at dumb design every day, and the rest of the new C interior is just too glitzy for me. What I really wanted was a 2 Gran Coupe, which would have been about the same size as my old C, before the new C grew in length (mostly rear seat legroom).

My hope is that the new BMW platform 35UP will bring back the larger-than-2 Series cars to their rightful BMW sporting dynamic experience. Then, the separation from MB will be more apparent. My wife still loves MB and her E Class, but she likes to "ride behind the wheel", while I like to "drive". When I thought of another MB (who dropped all sticks in the US on everything), I realized I just don't feel that old yet......at 60.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2014, 10:34 PM   #8
brhon
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235i Xdrive MW

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmmmm235i
So I know this probably belongs in the 3/4 series forum, but I'm hoping we can compare these cars in a more civil manner because most of us don't own them or really want to. That being said they are both great cars and something I might consider the next time around.
I have not had a chance to drive the new C, but I have driven the F30 on many occassions and based on what I have seen BMW should be concerned. For many of us the new C-class is far too large for our tastes, but lest compare:
C400 v. F30 335
The 3 is coming in with 300hp while the C boasts 329hp 354tq stock. I just spent a little time building them on the websites and the price is within a few K when similiarly optioned. I'm looking for input from anyone whose had a chance to get behind the wheel of a new C class. Although the car is in more of a 5 series league at this point it has always competed with the 3. Do you think BMW will follow this trend in the next generation of the 3?
From what I have seen the interior of the C blows away BMW, usually this is subjective to me and typically I have found Benz interior to be boring, but the C with that black wood trim is gorgeous. I'd like to see BMW stand by performance and clean and simple interior, but if they are losing the performance battle or simply abandoning it, they have no choice but to step up the interior to keep up with competition.
Lets here what you guys think...
I drove a new 15 c class last week, and wasn't impressed at all. Yes the interior is nice, but the transmission lags, and the power and acceleration didn't compare to my 328. The fit and finish was nice, but I like the simplicity of my bmw interior. I also drover a new e class, same thing with the trans-slow and unresponsive.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2014, 10:37 PM   #9
hans007
Major
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M340i

The interior is amazing from having sat in it. Like better than any other Mercedes under an s class. Never driven one but if it drives like the last one its probably the segment leader right now
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2014, 10:56 PM   #10
pikcachu
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i (F22 Red angel)

I just thought the CLA was the worst rear end ever but the new C tops it LOL
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2014, 11:47 PM   #11
VeryBadman
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 430i & Lexus NX300

To be honest I'm not a fan. The front looks nice but the back looks hideous in my opinion. The interior from the look alone seems nice but doesn't feel that way and I totally hate that blackberry like control and TomTom-like navigation unit. They are very after thought design.
      10-15-2014, 01:39 AM   #12
mmmmm235i
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by brhon View Post
I drove a new 15 c class last week, and wasn't impressed at all. Yes the interior is nice, but the transmission lags, and the power and acceleration didn't compare to my 328. The fit and finish was nice, but I like the simplicity of my bmw interior. I also drover a new e class, same thing with the trans-slow and unresponsive.
I assume you did not drive a c400 then. I'm interested in how the Benz turbod V6 stacks up against BMW "last" generation. Looks are always subjective, but I'm interested if BMW even has a leg to stand on with an edge performance wise.

RETIRED:
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2014, 03:42 AM   #13
darkerosxx
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '14 M235i

People start some of the weirdest threads on these forums.
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2014, 06:16 AM   #14
brhon
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235i Xdrive MW

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmmmm235i View Post
I assume you did not drive a c400 then. I'm interested in how the Benz turbod V6 stacks up against BMW "last" generation. Looks are always subjective, but I'm interested if BMW even has a leg to stand on with an edge performance wise.
It was not a c400, the dealer told me that is an impressive drive, but beyond that the transmission was the issue for me in that car compared to the 328. At times I felt like my GT was a little slow, but the transmission makes up for some of that. Both Benz models had a poky transmission.
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2014, 07:08 AM   #15
tbc417
Private First Class
Rep

Did the car have the sport package, that includes adjustable suspensions and throttle response?
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2014, 08:37 AM   #16
GFK007
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2014 m235i

Unless you absolutely must have a manual, the C is definitely a better package than the f30, at least on paper.

Looks like a baby S-Class (which I think is a good thing), and has a beautiful executed interior with excellent quality materials.

Would be a good daily driver I would think, but would probably want something more involving for the weekends.

C63 will be a monster though...

(gone but not forgotten) 2011 e90 M Sport - M-Tech Carbon Diffuser, OEM Carbon Trunk Spoiler, 20% tint, black reflectors, black OEM grille, LUX white Angel Eyes.
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2014, 09:19 AM   #17
Icy J
im a car
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: 220i M Sport | 520i M Sport

Garage List
2014 BMW 220i  [10.00]
I find the new C to be a bit too focused on luxury for my liking, even in AMG trim. Of course, I'm speaking as a 19 year old, so I'm still at that part of my life where I like loud exhausts, etc; to me, the C literally looks like a scaled down S class, and something more akin to what my dad would drive as opposed to myself. The C's interior is indeed extremely nice, but it's something I'd want to be a passenger in, rather than drive myself - for that reason I'd still pick a F30 M Sport if I was in the market for a car of that size

'14 220i M Sport | AW/CR | PUR Wheels RS07 19" | KW V1 | MTC Design F2X Kit [CF] | Stage 1 ECU Tune | Eventuri CF Intake | Manhart Race Exhaust/Resonator Delete | ER HFC Downpipe | F8X LCA + TS | M Style Grilles | Gloss Black Roof | Custom Steering Wheel | Autotecknic Competition Shift Paddles [YMB]
Instagram: @icyj95 | FB
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2014, 11:47 AM   #18
VeryBadman
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 430i & Lexus NX300

I guess the sale guy ignorantly pissed me off too by saying "it's a time to step up from Audi, right?". I went in Audi S6 so for me it's actually a step wayyyyy down.

Last edited by VeryBadman; 10-15-2014 at 12:15 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2014, 12:11 PM   #19
horsepower_and_hounds
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW

I love my 2'r and would not want to give it up but I have to give props.....the new C-class is one sweet ride
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2014, 08:04 PM   #20
2+3=5
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikcachu View Post
I just thought the CLA was the worst rear end ever but the new C tops it LOL
I agree it reminds me of an OLDsmobile
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2014, 03:32 PM   #21
mmmmm235i
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkerosxx View Post
People start some of the weirdest threads on these forums.
Do you mind elaborating on what makes this thread so "weird"? I mean I'm probably giving more credit to this post than it deserves at 4 AM, but this is a forum for discussing cars, not to mention I explicitly framed the question to get unbiased opinions from people who wouldn't necessarily be in the market for one.

I don't see such a problem with the rear of the C though

RETIRED:
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2014, 08:14 PM   #22
Mark's M
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3 Individual

Not a weird post at all so don't worry. One of my current cars is a '13 C350. It's a tank and built better than any of my BMW's have ever been. But it's BORING and not the equivalent of a similarly sized 3er in terms of driving dynamics. I've been shopping/driving an M235 and love it but have almost decided to wait for the M2 which'll probably be a no brainer in terms of meeting my needs.

To be fair to my Benz dealer I've arranged a test drive of the new C400. He's also put my name on a new C63 as the order banks are opening shortly and the first cars to N.A. will be here by about March. Don't know the CDN pricing yet so the commitment isn't firm. I'm guessing CDN price for an M2 will be about $70k with decent options and DCT tranny. I'm praying the CDN pricing for the C63 comes in at about $80k and if so, I'll be comfortable saying "no, too much" and wait for the M2. But one thing I can't get over is the interior of the new C Class. As much as the interiors of the 2's, 3's and 4's are ok, the new Benz is stunning by comparison. Time will tell I guess.