THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum M235i owners...lets be honest

10-15-2014, 11:22 AM   #23
Killramos
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: '19 M2 '21 X5

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by nachob View Post
I still think it's silly that you buy a sports coupe and you have to press a button to make it drive like a sports coupe.....doesn't anyone else see this as silly?

I agree 1000000% if they are going to put a button then it should default to sport on a sports car and you have to press Comfort if you want it.

If you buy a Luxury car, then it should default to comfort and you select sport...but that's too logical.
Remember that many people do buy this car because it is "luxury" right or wrong... BMW has 2 markets to satisfy and the luxury market pays more than enthusiasts.

Comfort mode is default on all of their cars not just ours...
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2014, 11:39 AM   #24
VeryBadman
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 430i & Lexus NX300

Quote:
I still think it's silly that you buy a sports coupe and you have to press a button to make it drive like a sports coupe.....doesn't anyone else see this as silly?

I agree 1000000% if they are going to put a button then it should default to sport on a sports car and you have to press Comfort if you want it.

If you buy a Luxury car, then it should default to comfort and you select sport...but that's too logical.
2 Series is not a full blown sport car and from business perspective, it makes more sense to target people who only want a luxury sport looking car with the staple brand name like BMW. Those people don't really care how it handles or accelerates and care more about fuel economy. That's why it initiates itself in comfort mode.
      10-15-2014, 12:17 PM   #25
nachob
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2004 330i ZHP, 2022 Cayman T

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeryBadman View Post
2 Series is not a full blown sport car and from business perspective, it makes more sense to target people who only want a luxury sport looking car with the staple brand name like BMW. Those people don't really care how it handles or accelerates and care more about fuel economy. That's why it initiates itself in comfort mode.
But, I have seen one commercial on the M235i and it shows one racing backwards and talks about thrills and acceleration. The BMW guys said it was faster than 1M. I got an invite to test one from BMW and it came with a paper bag in case I hyper-ventilate from the "excitement." I have not seen a single thing coming from BMW show that this is a comfort economy cruiser....it is all targeted a performance and thrills. I don't think the paper bag was for getting seasick from the soft suspension............it clearly states for hyperventilation from excitement! If you have something where the M235i has been marketed as a comfy economy car, please share it as I have not seen anything like that?

It's being sold as a thrilling sporty coupe and if so, it should be tuned for that or if they put a button, it should default to sporty in my most humble opinion.
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2014, 12:25 PM   #26
DSTR
Captain
Rep
Drives: 22 M240iX / 23 M2 Tor-Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by ska///235i View Post
Ok, I have to confess...the m235i in comfort mode sucks. I know its suppose to be comfortable but its slow and soft, i dont like to hit a button to go fast
Sorry but comfort mode is superb. To be honest I love the variability of this car for different types of driving and traffic. Recommend you sell and get something else. No car is perfect but my M235i is perfect for me and my life/driving. At speed on the Autobahn I have no worries about the performance capability or in the elevated/hill and fun areas near me.

I guess a test drive didnt show you much. I had a multi hour test and knew what I was buying lol!

Last edited by DSTR; 10-15-2014 at 12:32 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2014, 12:46 PM   #27
VeryBadman
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 430i & Lexus NX300

Quote:
But, I have seen one commercial on the M235i and it shows one racing backwards and talks about thrills and acceleration. The BMW guys said it was faster than 1M. I got an invite to test one from BMW and it came with a paper bag in case I hyper-ventilate from the "excitement." I have not seen a single thing coming from BMW show that this is a comfort economy cruiser....it is all targeted a performance and thrills. I don't think the paper bag was for getting seasick from the soft suspension............it clearly states for hyperventilation from excitement! If you have something where the M235i has been marketed as a comfy economy car, please share it as I have not seen anything like that?

It's being sold as a thrilling sporty coupe and if so, it should be tuned for that or if they put a button, it should default to sporty in my most humble opinion.
After all it's a BMW so there is no way they are going to advertise that their car is a slow ass fuel saving but are they really expecting the majority of the buyers to be an enthusiast? The answer is no so they setup the car to reflect that. For people who are not really into car, they are extracted by performance but live with economy. I hope you know what I mean.
      10-15-2014, 01:39 PM   #28
ska///235i
***** noob
United_States
Rep
Drives: 325xi>M235i>428GCx Mspor

Garage List
2006 325xi  [0.00]
So I see alot of ppl buy a so called M Perf car for comfort and eco...thats fine but MP cars should be performance first, comfort second.

Im not hating my car but hating the comfort mode so lets get that straight. My bad I didnt test drive in comfort mode
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2014, 01:50 PM   #29
Killramos
Captain
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
So I see alot of ppl buy a so called M Perf car for comfort and eco...thats fine but MP cars should be performance first, comfort second.

Im not hating my car but hating the comfort mode so lets get that straight. My bad I didnt test drive in comfort mode
Yea but when people see my car the first thing they say is :

"I dont know anything about bmw's but i know that the ones with M's are really nice"

Noone knows about it's motorsport image, noone cares. A huge proportion of even M3 drivers only bought it to have the top line model and get noticed...
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2014, 02:24 PM   #30
Gate7
Oh rly?
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killramos
A huge proportion of even M3 drivers only bought it to have the top line model and get noticed...
first thing I did to my m3 was debadge it, same thing with my 335i now.

Some are posers, others just want to go fast.
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2014, 02:28 PM   #31
SmallTownBoy
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: '14 M235i 6MT PSS BSM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gate7 View Post

Did you also remove the roundels?
      10-15-2014, 02:35 PM   #32
///MCFC
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M235i

Quote:
others just want to go fast.
then why did you buy a bmw?
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2014, 04:16 PM   #33
Killramos
Captain
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmallTownBoy View Post
Did you also remove the roundels?
I am sure we could tack the bumpers from a honda civic on it as well....
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2014, 05:18 PM   #34
Lucky13
Lucky13
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 M235 manual, 2020 X3 30X

Quote:

Make sure you remove the twin kidney grills also.
1995 325i, 1996 328ci, 1997 528i, 1997 Z3 2.8, 2000 528i, 2001 X5 3.0, 2001 330i Convertible, 2002 M3 Convertible, 2003 M3 Coupe, 2004 M3 Coupe, 2004 Z4 3.0, 2004 X3 3.0, 2007 X3 3.0, 2007 335i Convertible, 2013 X1 28 sdrive, 2014 M235 manual, 2020 X3 30i Xdrive
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2014, 11:24 AM   #35
3.0L
Colonel
Rep
Drives: M235i, 20k miles

Quote:

Is it really that much of an ordeal to punch the Mode button once for Sport?

I alternate between Comfort and Sport everyday and I just don't see this as a big deal. In fact, I like having 4 mode choices, and I emphasis "choice."

When writing your life's plan, use a pencil with an eraser
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2014, 11:31 AM   #36
ska///235i
***** noob
United_States
Rep
Drives: 325xi>M235i>428GCx Mspor

Garage List
2006 325xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.0L
Quote:

Is it really that much of an ordeal to punch the Mode button once for Sport?

I alternate between Comfort and Sport everyday and I just don't see this as a big deal. In fact, I like having 4 mode choices, and I emphasis "choice."
True, but at least place that button in the steering wheel...have you ever hit the dcs button instead of sport while driving?

If some dbag tailgates and wants to pass or coming to an onramp and theres a tracker (you might want to pass first)...Im not going to say holdup let me push my sports mode button lol, by the time i change mode...is too late
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2014, 12:00 PM   #37
snodgrass23
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 EB m235i

I don't think it's a big deal either. I don't hit the button quickly when I want more responsive power, I just move the gear lever over to sport which causes an immediate downshift and plenty of power for overtaking, or whatever.
      10-16-2014, 12:09 PM   #38
Cavpilot2k
Chief Warrant Officer
Rep
Drives: like a damn lunatic

Really though, there is no excuse for not being able to set the default mode in system preferences. That way those who spend most of their time in comfort can have it that way. Those who always automatically punch it up to sport or plus can have that as the default.

That is a serious design flaw to not have that one simple option to be user-programmable.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2014, 12:46 PM   #39
Killramos
Captain
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavpilot2k View Post
Really though, there is no excuse for not being able to set the default mode in system preferences. That way those who spend most of their time in comfort can have it that way. Those who always automatically punch it up to sport or plus can have that as the default.

That is a serious design flaw to not have that one simple option to be user-programmable.
I have a feeling it has to do with CAFE standards. The car uses more gas in sport. If they make it default or defaultable then thats teh setting they will use to test the cars fuel economy.

As for people who want a button on the steering wheel well that's M cars only but at least we have shift paddles for a temporary gear change! Even in eco pro the car will revert to full power when you floor it. It just might be slower to react if you wait for kickdown.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2014, 01:09 PM   #40
3.0L
Colonel
Rep
Drives: M235i, 20k miles

Quote:
True, but at least place that button in the steering wheel...have you ever hit the dcs button instead of sport while driving?

If some dbag tailgates and wants to pass or coming to an onramp and theres a tracker (you might want to pass first)...Im not going to say holdup let me push my sports mode button lol, by the time i change mode...is too late
I guess I've just adopted a routine that I do almost without thinking. As I'm backing out of the garage I hit the mirror foldout button. Once moving down the street I hit "Confirm" followed by the driving mode I desire for the current mission (or mood).

I generally use the Sport mode when driving country roads, but I also use it when in heavy traffic on freeways and also when about to use an on-ramp. I don't find most of these conditions difficult to anticipate. When in doubt, go Sport. Heh!

As to the Mode Button location, I've never hit the wrong button - I can reach and use it without looking. Perhaps I picked up that habit flying my airplane.

When writing your life's plan, use a pencil with an eraser
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2014, 04:30 PM   #41
InControl
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '13 328i coupe

Quote:

+1

This would irritate me for sure.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2014, 05:49 PM   #42
Spitfi-r
Private
Rep
Drives: m235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavpilot2k View Post

I agree, I would drive in sport all the time, but I don't want to have change the mode each and every damn time-so I stick with comfort.

With 3 pedals I hate the change in throttle sensitivity---its hard to be smooth with the clutch if the throttle varies based on remembering to change the mode.

To be honest, I don't really notice much difference between sport and comfort with the steering or suspension.

Even in comfort I'm pretty sure I get all 326 HP when the pedal is on the floor, so the cars not that slow.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2014, 08:34 PM   #43
CONTROL ONE
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW M235i

So what I've gathered from this thread:

Comfort with AT is lackluster.

Comfort with MT is great.

Glad I ordered my car with the extra man-pedal. I find Comfort to be a great compromise between Sport and Eco with my 6spd. I only use Sport/Sport+ if I'm actually out to have some fun. The daily commute remains in Comfort 90% of the time.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2014, 09:28 PM   #44
Kayevman
kayevman
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235i X Drive

My m235i xDrive is not as razor sharp as my 135i. The breaks are softer in initial application, the auto does not control speed with downshifts as well as the DCT and the engine doesn't burble. But it's smoother, easier to steer, revs higher (a lot higher), doesn't slip on any surface (water, gravel) and has instant acceleration. Stereo sucks.
Appreciate 0