THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum Last options to my M235i Xdrive..

10-05-2014, 02:13 PM   #1
reheat
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Honda Civic 1.8 HB

Last options to my M235i Xdrive..

I already thought to order these:

Estoril blue colour
Xenon lights
electronic lumbar support
heated steering wheel
front and rear parking sensors
adaptive shock absorption
professional navigation
winter tires and LM385 wheels
darkened upper edge to windscreen
darkened rear windows

These I am not sure yet:

Harman Kardon
Auto-dimming interior and exterior mirrors
rain sensor
adaptive lights
driving assistant
snap in adapter for lumia
apps
speed limit display
40/20/40 swiveling bag seats

Heated front seats come free here on Finland
It seems that options differ quite alot between countries..

I have no experience about most of the options. So what do you think about my those? If you have any comments or opinions, or if there is something else you think I should take, so please tell freely..
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2014, 02:22 PM   #2
Sportstick
Major General
Rep
Drives: '15 228i and '24 X3 sDrive30i

Adaptive headlamps are excellent and standout from your remaining list as being most worthwhile.

if you find a vehicle with swiveling back seats, be careful you're not ordering a minivan!

Actually, just kidding....your English is far better than my Finnish (even after a visit to Kuopio!), but you are looking at folding seats!
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2014, 03:19 PM   #3
haloeight
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: m235i xd perf. ed'n

Quote:
Originally Posted by reheat View Post
Harman Kardon
Auto-dimming interior and exterior mirrors
rain sensor
adaptive lights
driving assistant
snap in adapter for lumia
apps
speed limit display
40/20/40 swiveling bag seats
My vehicle has all available options so will offer whatever feedback I can.

Harman Kardon system is not particularly impressive in low end bass handling - if you're expecting / used to the sound from having a bigger dedicated subwoofer in the trunk this will not be the same. You can turn up the bass on the equalizer for some more impact. There is no midrange equalizer either. So those are two knocks against the added cost. A plus is having everything fully integrated with the vehicle, and I think overall the system sounds reasonably balanced in presentation. I wouldn't take it over my home theater setup but it doesn't make me remark that its ruining music, which is important to me. Overall I'm pleased with the level of integration and quality if not remarking "I love this and it was worth every penny" (which I do about my home theater for comparison)

Autodimming rear view mirrors a lot of people like but is something to get used to if you haven't used it before. If you're used to checking your rear view mirror at night or when the light starts to fall for the shape of a cop car car the mirrors will reduce everything to headlights and black blobs. You can get around this by covering up the sensor on the mirror. Decide if you regularly find yourself annoyed by the brightness of headlamps in your mirrors or if this doesn't usually bother you.

Rain sensor I like, but you need to push the button on the wiper stalk to activate this rather than leaving on all the time, so this seems to reduce the value of just having it on all the time so that when it starts raining the wipers engage. Maybe I'm not using it right but it seems to require activation every time.

Adaptive lights are good, like the rain sensor just seems another nice convenience. I just leave my headlights on adaptive mode and never have to think about switching them to conditions.

Have been told the snap in adapters are not worth the cost so have not gone this route. A standard USB cable for your phone will do the same job, and you might want access to your phone while driving without stowing it in the storage compartment. At least I find this is the way I use it with my iPhone. If you prefer Bluetooth then all you'd really be getting out of the snap in adapter is charging while driving.

Apps - your mileage may vary. I have Connected and internet services. The calendar app doesn't seem to work. Email and messages work for some but I haven't gotten it right yet. Being able to open a browser window on the iDrive display is neat but so far haven't used it practically. Some of the phone apps depend on your phone being connected to the vehicle via USB.

Speed limit display seems to come on inconsistently - so far in a couple weeks I've only noticed it once.

Back seats - will be useful if you have to store anything bigger than will fit in the trunk.
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2014, 02:28 AM   #4
reheat
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportstick View Post
Adaptive headlamps are excellent and standout from your remaining list as being most worthwhile.

if you find a vehicle with swiveling back seats, be careful you're not ordering a minivan!

Actually, just kidding....your English is far better than my Finnish (even after a visit to Kuopio!), but you are looking at folding seats!
I must be happy that you understood something

Why adaptive headlamps are so good, can you tell me? They say that adaptive headlamps doesnīt include "turning light function" in this car. So, is it only adjusting light pattern closer and farther?

Nice to hear that you have been here! I guess many people in US do not know where Finland is, or am I wrong?
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2014, 09:54 AM   #5
Sportstick
Major General
Rep

Quote:
I must be happy that you understood something

Why adaptive headlamps are so good, can you tell me? They say that adaptive headlamps doesnīt include "turning light function" in this car. So, is it only adjusting light pattern closer and farther?

Nice to hear that you have been here! I guess many people in US do not know where Finland is, or am I wrong?
Perhaps the language is challenging us again! By adaptive, I mean the turning of the headlamps when the steering wheel is turned. This is the first time I've had that feature and it helps very much with nighttime driving. I did NOT want the automatic high beams and did not order/get those. I once had a car with that and it wasn't 100% reliable and flashed someone in front of me unintentionally who got quite angry and slammed on the brakes.

Had a wonderful time in Finland, although it is not a frequent tourist destination for Americans. Helskinki was great, but the best part was the Finnish sauna in Kuopio beating ourselves with branches and having drinks with a small dead fish in the bottom!! We also drove out to a colleague's house in Nordvik walked into town along the windy Baltic Sea for dinner. What a great trip!
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2014, 10:28 AM   #6
bladeomatic
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by haloeight View Post
Harman Kardon system is not particularly impressive in low end bass handling. A plus is having everything fully integrated with the vehicle

Autodimming rear view mirrors a lot of people like but is something to get used to if you haven't used it before.

Rain sensor I like, but you need to push the button on the wiper stalk to activate this

Adaptive lights are good, like the rain sensor just seems another nice convenience. I just leave my headlights on adaptive mode and never have to think about switching them to conditions.

Have been told the snap in adapters are not worth the cost so have not gone this route.

Apps - your mileage may vary. I have Connected and internet services. The calendar app doesn't seem to work. Email and messages work for some but I haven't gotten it right yet.

Speed limit display seems to come on inconsistently - so far in a couple weeks I've only noticed it once.

Back seats - will be useful if you have to store anything bigger than will fit in the trunk.
Agree with most everything here:

-Don't waste time on the HK stereo. Spend your money on good aftermarket speakers/sub woofer
-Auto-dimming is a waste for me. Too unpredictable
-Ditto what he said re rain sensors
-Don't bother with expensive snap-in adapter. Too tight and doesn't work if you have case on phone. Better to get a dash mount and run a simple cable to charging/connecting
-Speed limit display is gimmicky but not really that useful. It's toggled on by clicking the end of the turn signal stalk.
-Agree re back seat. 40/20/40 is cool. Wish we could get this in the US.

Good Luck!
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2014, 02:55 AM   #7
reheat
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Perhaps the language is challenging us again! By adaptive, I mean the turning of the headlamps when the steering wheel is turned. This is the first time I've had that feature and it helps very much with nighttime driving. I did NOT want the automatic high beams and did not order/get those. I once had a car with that and it wasn't 100% reliable and flashed someone in front of me unintentionally who got quite angry and slammed on the brakes.

Had a wonderful time in Finland, although it is not a frequent tourist destination for Americans. Helskinki was great, but the best part was the Finnish sauna in Kuopio beating ourselves with branches and having drinks with a small dead fish in the bottom!! We also drove out to a colleague's house in Nordvik walked into town along the windy Baltic Sea for dinner. What a great trip!
Jep, but itīs good to have challenges
Yes, I was thinking same adaptive: "turning of the headlamps when the steering wheel is turned". Good to hear that you like it, Bmw drivers here usually not. I have been missing it in my Civic since I heard that it done in some cars, now I think Iīll take it. I also agree your opinion about the automatic high beams, I think I change lights better than the system.

Good to hear that you enjoyed beeing here, me too!
Iīm going to Helsinki on thursday, there is M235i Xdrive and chance for test drive. Itīs importers car, maybe the only test car in Finland with that engine..
Sauna is nice thing, especially now when day temperature is 8-12 degree celcius. Itīs common to take some drinks here(but nowadays some of us do not always get drunk), but I have not had any dead fish in my drink yet, I do have heard about it. Was Nordvik in Kemiö island? My friend has cottage there, itīs beautiful place in summer. I think one of the finest here is the archipelago of Turku, start 10 km from my home. There are thousands of smaller and bigger islands, incredible fantastic to drive with boat there. And there are also so enjoyable roads near the baltic sea and to the archipelago, been there and had a lot of fun with my motorcycle this summer. Wish we had longer summer here!
My friend is coming to US in winter, she was asking me to join, unfortunately I canīt. She and her kids will have good time in Hollywood and Las Vegas..
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2014, 07:41 AM   #8
Sportstick
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Was Nordvik in Kemiö island? My friend has cottage there, itīs beautiful place in summer. I think one of the finest here is the archipelago of Turku, start 10 km from my home. There are thousands of smaller and bigger islands, incredible fantastic to drive with boat there. And there are also so enjoyable roads near the baltic sea and to the archipelago, been there and had a lot of fun with my motorcycle this summer. Wish we had longer summer here!
My friend is coming to US in winter, she was asking me to join, unfortunately I canīt. She and her kids will have good time in Hollywood and Las Vegas..
Kimito is the name of the island on our maps. Same place?
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2014, 11:34 AM   #9
reheat
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Kimito is the name of the island on our maps. Same place?
Yes. Kimito is swedish name for Kemiö, most people there donīt speak Finnish. Do you say they speak swedish?
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2014, 11:47 AM   #10
Sportstick
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Yes. Kimito is swedish name for Kemiö, most people there donīt speak Finnish. Do you say they speak swedish?
No, Finnish. But I was just reading off the map we have.
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2014, 01:35 AM   #11
reheat
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bladeomatic View Post
Agree with most everything here:

-Don't waste time on the HK stereo. Spend your money on good aftermarket speakers/sub woofer
-Auto-dimming is a waste for me. Too unpredictable
-Ditto what he said re rain sensors
-Don't bother with expensive snap-in adapter. Too tight and doesn't work if you have case on phone. Better to get a dash mount and run a simple cable to charging/connecting
-Speed limit display is gimmicky but not really that useful. It's toggled on by clicking the end of the turn signal stalk.
-Agree re back seat. 40/20/40 is cool. Wish we could get this in the US.

Good Luck!
Thanks a lot for your comments!
HK cost 1200€ here in Finland, very expensive.
Can recommend some loudspeakers and other equipment and need if I take only Hifi system witch is standart?
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2014, 10:37 PM   #12
bladeomatic
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 ZCP

Quote:
Thanks a lot for your comments!
HK cost 1200€ here in Finland, very expensive.
Can recommend some loudspeakers and other equipment and need if I take only Hifi system witch is standart?
There are some Focal speakers that others have installed that are supposed to be a big improvement. Do a search through the archives and you should find it.

Good luck.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2014, 11:08 PM   #13
reheat
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bladeomatic View Post
There are some Focal speakers that others have installed that are supposed to be a big improvement. Do a search through the archives and you should find it.

Good luck.
I already called in 2 local hifi dealer. I understood that if I do the assembly I can save a bit and still get better sound quality. They are sales man, but it sounds reasonably. Hopefully I reach Bmw dealer today and manage to cansel my HK order.

Thanks again!
Itīs so nice that you so generously share information and opinions. I of course to the same if possible..
Appreciate 0