THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum Unexpected M235i Purchase

09-14-2014, 08:18 PM   #23
Sportstick
Major General
Rep
Drives: '15 228i and '24 X3 sDrive30i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal View Post
Thanks for the honest and detailed analysis. The new S3 is definitely a great car, and bound to be a great seller for Audi (if only they leased as well as the BMWs). The advertised 290hp is definitely severely underrated. It looks like the S3 wouldn't have a problem keeping up with the M235i (straight-line or otherwise). It would be interesting to see what more "experts" say when they review and test them head-to-head. At the advertised 3300lbs, the S3 is quite light, and should be extremely toss able and handle great (with its AWD).
But the automatic-only configuration is a deal-breaker for some of us. I didn't even bother to check out the A3/S3 after seeing it at the auto show when the Audi guys explained the trans lineup. It looked and felt great standing still however.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2014, 08:25 PM   #24
Vervain
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: .

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by xxxHolic View Post
The new S3 is a Saloon/Sedan! It's actually a nice sized car and looks way better in person, even though it doesn't look bad in pictures.
Lol, sorry I should have explained that I HATE the look of the S3 sedan and the fact that its heavier than the hatch (since we get a detuned version of the S3 in SA, this power deficit will be amplified by the extra weight of the car), so it's not really an option.
The S3 hatch is beautiful (to me at least), but a hatch is also not an option for me.

A big turn-off is the detuned engine too and the fact that Audi SA still claims the same performance figures as the full-blown engine, which is garbage!
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2014, 08:28 PM   #25
Vervain
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: .

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportstick View Post
But the automatic-only configuration is a deal-breaker for some of us. I didn't even bother to check out the A3/S3 after seeing it at the auto show when the Audi guys explained the trans lineup. It looked and felt great standing still however.
I've extensively driven a regular A3 with the S-tronic dual clutch transmission, and it's a marvel! But nothing can beat a good manual setup
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2014, 09:00 PM   #26
five3three
Major
Rep
Drives: m2c

Congrats on your purchase! I am pretty sure I saw you once on labor day. I was a passenger in another car, though. I also have an MG and I drive a lot in the area so you are bound to see me.

In regards to the license plate thing, I don't even bother anymore not having one in VA. I got stopped twice in two days years ago for that and since then it has been both plates for me. Getting stopped for an equipment violation is annoying. That way I can save my money for the real tickets I am bound to get (like speeding).
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2014, 09:21 PM   #27
xxxHolic
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235i Xdrive

Quote:
Yes!

But congrats and enjoy yours!
Touche. I remember when the 1 series was being announced back in 2006-2007 time frame, I used to want Valencia Orange so bad, I had it saved as my wallpaper. Alas I didn't know any better and I ended up with a 2007 IS 250 AWD lol...the follies of youth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwi View Post
Your 4 year service plan is only up to 50,000 miles ours is unlimited miles for 3 years I wonder why?
Well that's probably when these cars start have issues lol....so either you buy and extended warranty or jump into your next Bimmer. LOL I'm not sure what I'm guess the US limits so that they can resale the cars a lot easier.

Quote:
Ahh, yes that. The Audi forums were quite livid that such a spirited car was limited to an automatic...no matter how great it is lol...nothing like having full control of those gear shift and being able to the gear box where you want it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anodite10 View Post
Lol, sorry I should have explained that I HATE the look of the S3 sedan and the fact that its heavier than the hatch (since we get a detuned version of the S3 in SA, this power deficit will be amplified by the extra weight of the car), so it's not really an option.
The S3 hatch is beautiful (to me at least), but a hatch is also not an option for me.

A big turn-off is the detuned engine too and the fact that Audi SA still claims the same performance figures as the full-blown engine, which is garbage!
I don't know most reviews has show that this tune turbo is not to be underestimated. I can say for sure that is definitely a performer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by five3three View Post
Congrats on your purchase! I am pretty sure I saw you once on labor day. I was a passenger in another car, though. I also have an MG and I drive a lot in the area so you are bound to see me.

In regards to the license plate thing, I don't even bother anymore not having one in VA. I got stopped twice in two days years ago for that and since then it has been both plates for me. Getting stopped for an equipment violation is annoying. That way I can save my money for the real tickets I am bound to get (like speeding).
I placed an order for the Us Mill Works one today. I think the drive out tags have kept me from getting in trouble thus far. I'm used to having both tags, this is just the first car that I've been able to tell the dealership not the put that tacky ass front holder on the bumper lol. I'll be on the lookout for you on the road!
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2014, 12:07 AM   #28
DSTR
Captain
Rep
Drives: 22 M240iX / 23 M2 Tor-Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by missxmelon View Post
Aber die Polizei sind strenger in Deutschland, oder? Hier sind sie nur gewalttätig...
Polizei gibt die Polizei. Kennzeichen sind das Gesetz ok ??. Zeitverschwendung ist nicht für mich. Fahren macht mehr Spaß Ein Ticket ist nicht gewalttätig! lol!
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2014, 11:54 AM   #29
xxxHolic
Private
United_States
Rep

Thumbs up

Baby steps...

Finally got my all weather floor mats, still waiting on the trunk liner. Something as simple as the red outline, makes a noticeable difference inside the car.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-16-2014, 12:19 PM   #30
mike@x-ph.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Congrats!!

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2014, 12:20 PM   #31
bladeomatic
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 ZCP

Quote:
Any suggestions for the front license plate?
First, congrats on the new ride. The red seats look fantastic!

I've got my front plate mounted and working great using the US Mill Works mount. There were some tricks to it though, so read my post here:

http://www.2addicts.com/forums/showp...3&postcount=16

It's been about 3 months, many miles and lots of car washes later and my plate setup still looks and works great without throwing off annoying sensor warnings.

HTH

Appreciate 1
      09-16-2014, 12:24 PM   #32
GOLFFRR
Rep
Drives: GOLFFRR cart

congrats! thats a sweet ride indeed

BEFORE YOU BUY YOUR NEXT BMW, EMAIL OUR GUY KOTE FIRST!
Kote M Sales:Kotem@bmwofcamarillo.com Cell:805-368-9101
vipfinance@bmwofcamarillo.com for warranties!
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2014, 12:25 PM   #33
bladeomatic
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 ZCP

Quote:
Thanks for the head up. I watch a few videos on the website and I have better understand of how the install should go. I think I am going to spend the money on getting the quick release one.
Save your money and DON'T get the quick release.

The quick release shoe plate is what pushes the plate out from the bumper a tiny bit and is *just* far enough to trigger the sensors. See my earlier post on what to do. Mine's mounted without the quick release and is VERY close to the bumper…but without touching it or damaging the paint. It's similar to how the Porsche plates are mounted on the US Mill Works website. No false sensor triggers on my rig in over 3 months.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2014, 03:33 PM   #34
xxxHolic
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike@x-ph.com View Post
Congrats!!
Thanks!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bladeomatic View Post
First, congrats on the new ride. The red seats look fantastic!

I've got my front plate mounted and working great using the US Mill Works mount. There were some tricks to it though, so read my post here:

http://www.2addicts.com/forums/showp...3&postcount=16

It's been about 3 months, many miles and lots of car washes later and my plate setup still looks and works great without throwing off annoying sensor warnings.

HTH

Yea, I would've never thought I'd like red seats, but it's really an eye catcher without be gaudy. Thanks for the heads up, I'll be sending back my current tow bracket back when it arrives.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOLFFRR View Post
congrats! thats a sweet ride indeed
Thanks, I still when I get in to drive.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2014, 08:02 PM   #35
brhon
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235i Xdrive MW

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxxHolic
I've been lurking for the last two weeks lol, so I decided that I would finally start posting.

I had been going back and forth between the 428i and the Audi S3 for several months in my head. I am coming from a 2012 Audi A6, so I have a slight bias towards Audis. I test drove the S3 on August 26th and was very impressed with what Audi did with engine...I honestly believe it is highly underrated at 290 hps. The handling was great and it didn't even have the magnetic drive.

On August 28th on my lunch break I popped by Alexandria, BMW...no appointment or anything, I actually wanted to test drive a 428i but sitting on the lot was a 2015 M235i with xDrive, I knew that it was released but didn't think there would be one sitting on the lot. It checked all the boxes I wanted in my build and is really a better comparison to the S3.

I took out it for about 30 mins and knew this was the car for me. The fit, the engine...the look...everything was there and I didn't have to wait for it to be built. I was actually lucky, because another customer was supposed to test drive the car and if I would've arrived 5 minutes later than I did, I wouldn't have my car. Needless to say my hour lunch break turned into 3 hour lunch break...well I actually never went back to work that day lol.

No mods as I'm pretty much happy with everything at the moment. I do want the all weather mats and to do some coding. Natively the informant system on the Audi could do a bit more than BMW's, but from what I can gather...coding is pretty straight forward. My only other observation is the BMW's lack of Android support...but the driving experience has been stellar. My only observation about driving, is when I'm in sports mode...and not really pushing the car...it seems to hang on to 2nd gear a bit longer than I like and I end up using the shifter to go to the next gear.

Here's a few pictures. It rained most the day yesterday but the sun finally came out, when I took the pics...but I haven't washed the car either sigh (need to find a place...not sure where I can store all the stuff I need either to keep her clean) lol...I need to figure out how to stop scuffing the door panel...sigh I have hard to getting in and out the car without my dress shoes grazing the panel.

**Side Note: I did not receive cup holder inserts. What is the little compartment right above the holders for?

**Side Side Note: Any suggestions for the front license plate? So far I haven't had any issues as I still have drive out tags. Yesterday there was randomly 4 Alexandria police officers on Cameron Street, by the King St Metro Station, I just knew I was going to get a ticket lol...they just admired the car as I drove by lol. I just cringe at drilling the bumper with the supplied license plate holder.
Looks great.
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2014, 09:05 AM   #36
RedRocketM2
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 435ix Performance Edition

Garage List
I test drove the S3 as well because I am also a huge Audi fan my last being a S5 4.2
I agree the S3 handles amazing and it certainly felt faster then my S5. The inside is very plain and drab, felt less interesting and purposeful then the m235i. I also found the engine noise would not be as nice to live with compared to the BMW. Audi is selling a ton of these cars wait time was 4 months
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2014, 01:57 PM   #37
cram501
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwi View Post
Your 4 year service plan is only up to 50,000 miles ours is unlimited miles for 3 years I wonder why?
Two weeks ago I got a similarly configured 2015 MG M235i. My maintenance is also 4 years/50,000 miles.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2014, 06:10 AM   #38
mvallido
Lieutenant
Philippines
Rep
Drives: M235i Estoril Blue

Congrats! At first I got my mind and budget set on an M3 but when I saw the specs on the EB2 M235i with Tech and Premium package for $43.5K out the door, it only took me 5 secs to change my mind. Thanks to the military/diplomatic sale program.
2004 C240
97 E39 VF5 Supercharged
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2014, 01:24 PM   #39
335BOY
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2017 SQ5

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSTR View Post
Fab color scheme. Superb machine!

Dont worry about the bumper. Tickets are not worth your time. We have to have them here or no Autobahn fun! Just find a solution and put it on. Why risk needless lectures from the police.
I agree. I really dont see the problem with drilling the bumper. Youll never see the holes and youre just asking for trouble by not having a front plate. Everyone else has/needs one.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2014, 07:24 PM   #40
pcdubbya
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2012 Audi S5 - V8 - MT6

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRocketM2 View Post
I test drove the S3 as well because I am also a huge Audi fan my last being a S5 4.2
I agree the S3 handles amazing and it certainly felt faster then my S5. The inside is very plain and drab, felt less interesting and purposeful then the m235i. I also found the engine noise would not be as nice to live with compared to the BMW. Audi is selling a ton of these cars wait time was 4 months
Same here, getting rid of my 2012 S5 4.2 and deciding between S3, M235i, and 435i.

Did you get a BMW after your s5?
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2014, 07:58 PM   #41
tbc417
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

I had a 2012 S5 for about 3 months this year. Bought it exoecting to love it, but it ended up feeling rather slow. The 6 speed was too easy if that makes sense, the car felt heavy, and was already out of steam in 3rd. This is just my opinion. Traded it in for a 2015 m235 xdrive and absolutely love it. The m235i is way faster then the s5, handles better, and feels like a much higher quality car.
Appreciate 0