THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum Alloy advice after ATS changed tyre ..

04-07-2024, 01:18 PM   #1
Francesca1976!
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 230i m convertible

Help please .. , hi all, this is my first post here … I recently had my tyre replaced with ATS, have had rear one replaced previously as a guy I know works there and he has dealt with all our cars over the years and very trustworthy. Anyway my tyre was replaced by a guy there who I do not know and the usual guy was off that day. Around 3 weeks later when doing a full clean I noticed my dust cap missing then what looked like black paint coming off the alloy…. Anyway on cleaning … all this black paint started coming off alloy to reveal scratches. Long story short .. I’ve gone back to guy I know who is adamant that none of his blokes have done the damage and they’re very trustworthy… he said if they had damaged it even if he was off they would have told him the next day, not jsut covered it up with paint … I know it was 3 weeks later but I was off work with gastro bug so wasn’t driving my car and no one else drives it either .. if I had Kerbed it I would have sorted it as u have insurance for that. ATS have said they will get wheel refurbed and I am taking the wheel in to them tomorrow. I am pretty sure the guy who did it saw me as an girl with a flash motor who would not notice some alloy markings but I’m fastidious with my cars and I’ve only had this car for 7 mths … I have attached photos of wheel markings .. any advice would be appreciated so I am not going out of my mind. I’m already so wound up about taking wheel in tomorrow as the one guy is obviously denying it … his boss ( a good guy) is sticking up for him which makes me look like the bad guy … if you could look at attached pics I’d be most grateful x
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-07-2024, 02:33 PM   #2
freakystyly
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F22 B58 6MT

I'm not a forensic expert but...

The peeling paint looks odd, are they originally silver wheels? I thought wheel paint is more prone to chip than peel.

Pic 2 could be curb rash.

Pic 3 looks machine made.

The small stuff in pic 4 look to be rock chips.

Pic 6 also looks machine made.

Refinishing isn't terribly expensive. I hope they are able to at least meet you halfway with this.
Appreciate 2
      04-07-2024, 02:36 PM   #3
Francesca1976!
United Kingdom
Rep

Thanks for the reply … appreciate it .. yes I have to take wheel in tomoz to them and they are sending it for a refurb .. I don’t like confrontation but I know I didn’t do it but am second guessing myself even though I know they did it … Anyway I’m leaving the wheel with them for 3 days .. they wanted me to leave the car but I think best to just take wheel … appreciate quick reply x
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2024, 03:05 PM   #4
Shirazkhan
Private
No_Country
Rep
Drives: bmw

All the pictures tell a different story or it just could be light reflecting.1st of all the colour of the rim looks like it was sprayed before.Was it?On two of the pictures it certainly looks like a tyre iron marking that they use when installing/removing tyre from the rim,If u got runflats the sidewall is much harder and some fitters if not experienced enough tend to score the rim.
And on one of the pictures it looks like curb rash.But then curb rash wont score it behind the lip like the other pictures(if i make sense).
As for the one picture,that looks like stone chips when driving.So hey if they offered to repair it for free or for a fraction of then well done to them.
Appreciate 1
      04-07-2024, 03:18 PM   #5
Francesca1976!
United Kingdom
Rep

Thanks Shira … I know its all a bit confusing… all I know is none of the marks were there before the tyre was replaced but feel bad for insisting they did it while the guy insists he didn’t .. I have photos of before an after too so I know it was them … fingers crossed they don’t slag me off too much when I carry the wheel in …. 😖
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2024, 03:25 PM   #6
Shirazkhan
Private
No_Country
Rep

If you have pics of before and after then they should cover all costs.
Appreciate 1
      04-07-2024, 03:27 PM   #7
Francesca1976!
United Kingdom
Rep

Yup I do , so as soon as I mentioned this they offered to do the complete alloy refurb ….
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2024, 04:44 PM   #8
Shirazkhan
Private
No_Country
Rep

Then that tells you,they knew they did it.Hopefully they do a good job refurbishing it now🫣
Appreciate 1
      04-08-2024, 12:39 AM   #9
Francesca1976!
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shirazkhan View Post
Then that tells you,they knew they did it.Hopefully they do a good job refurbishing it now🫣
Yup … wish me luck … taking the wheel in today whilst driving my husband’s 127,000 mile Peugeot 207 …. Gonna be an interesting soul destroying drive but someone’s gotta do it 😂 I couldn’t face leaving her with the garage for 3 days especially if the one guy is denying it all :/ !
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2024, 02:26 AM   #10
Shirazkhan
Private
No_Country
Rep

Lol.Oh yeah,u were smart to just take the wheel to them.Hopefully all goes well.
Appreciate 1
      04-08-2024, 04:09 PM   #11
Francesca1976!
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shirazkhan View Post
Lol.Oh yeah,u were smart to just take the wheel to them.Hopefully all goes well.
Going to be the longest 3 days of my life ! 😂
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2024, 04:37 PM   #12
Shirazkhan
Private
No_Country
Rep

Lol do enjoy the 207.
Appreciate 0