THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics N55 (M235i) Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Tuning My M235i: BMW M-Performance Exhaust & aFe Intake!

04-01-2014, 06:37 PM   #45
GTM_Challenge
United_States
Rep
Drives: E46 M3, E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delnari View Post
Finally had the car up on a new lift Jack today. What I found is the stock exhaust pipe is a solid single pipe from the downpipe connection all way through to the stock muffler. No clamps to remove except for the single V-Clamp at the downpipe. This not going to allow me to simply install a new rear muffler like I thought

Connection up front to the downpipe

From the rear looking to the front

BMW puts a little tic mark on the exhaust just after the rear axle line so you can cut it there and install their muffler with their OEM approved clamp. We use it on our rear section as well and it seals perfect and can still be put back to stock later.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2014, 08:38 PM   #46
prolif1k
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2018 Fashion Grey F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTM_Challenge
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delnari View Post
Finally had the car up on a new lift Jack today. What I found is the stock exhaust pipe is a solid single pipe from the downpipe connection all way through to the stock muffler. No clamps to remove except for the single V-Clamp at the downpipe. This not going to allow me to simply install a new rear muffler like I thought

Connection up front to the downpipe

From the rear looking to the front

BMW puts a little tic mark on the exhaust just after the rear axle line so you can cut it there and install their muffler with their OEM approved clamp. We use it on our rear section as well and it seals perfect and can still be put back to stock later.
Is the tic mark easy to find? I'm comfortable with everything else doing it myself--just worried about finding the correct cut point.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2014, 09:32 PM   #47
GTM_Challenge
United_States
Rep
Drives: E46 M3, E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by prolif1k View Post
Is the tic mark easy to find? I'm comfortable with everything else doing it myself--just worried about finding the correct cut point.
If i get a chance to poke my head under one ill take a pic for ya. Looks like tiny dent in the pipe like someone hit it with a punch. just after the rear control arms
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2014, 09:33 PM   #48
prolif1k
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2018 Fashion Grey F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTM_Challenge View Post
If i get a chance to poke my head under one ill take a pic for ya. Looks like tiny dent in the pipe like someone hit it with a punch. just after the rear control arms
Oh, OK. That sounds easy enough to find. Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2014, 08:33 AM   #49
Boneman
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M235i alpine white on black

Garage List
2014 m235i  [9.00]
2014 m235i  [0.00]
I am getting mine put on this week. Will let you all know how it went
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2014, 07:56 AM   #50
jrstech
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '21 M550

What is that colored part on Perf muffler where the vacuum flapper is located on the stock muffler? Any comment on noticeable drone compared to the stock muffler?
'07 E92 335i (RET)
'89 E30 M3 (RET)
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2014, 10:25 PM   #51
Chunner
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW 135is | #341/586

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinCredibleM View Post
If it did make it slower, then all the intake dynos would show it, but they all show some type of gain to be had. However, if you look at the intake, there is a box around so its enclosed to cool air when the hood is closed. Also, as cmkde mentioned, it should help at the higher boost levels with the JB4 since it'll allow more air to move through.
You don't get it. There is no cool air in an engine bay. The OEM air intake system is totally better then any silly AFe pod filter set up. The OEM air intake system get its "colder" air from in front of the coolant radiator where positive pressure is developed when you are driving. That positive pressure forces the "colder" air into your stock intake. Removing that OEM system and placing a pod filter in the engine bay to suck up hot air is simply silly not to mention stupid. Remember, colder air equates to better combustion. It is just physics. Not rocket science.

An entertaining video for you.

E N J O Y !
2013 BMW 135is Coupe | Dinan Stage 3 | M3 Subframe Bushings | Dinan Monoball Joints | Dinan Toe Links | 1M Strut Bar | MPS AS/3 - VMR 710's 18x8.5 ET45 / 18x9.5 ET50 | MPSS - BMW 313's 18x7.5 / 18x8.5 | Min Grey, Savanna | Prem, Tech | DCT | Beast #341/586 |

2021 BMW X7 M50i | Alpine White | Children Hauler

Last edited by Chunner; 04-03-2014 at 10:32 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2014, 10:55 PM   #52
cmkde
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Alpine White 15' M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chunner View Post
You don't get it. There is no cool air in an engine bay. The OEM air intake system is totally better then any silly AFe pod filter set up. The OEM air intake system get its "colder" air from in front of the coolant radiator where positive pressure is developed when you are driving. That positive pressure forces the "colder" air into your stock intake. Removing that OEM system and placing a pod filter in the engine bay to suck up hot air is simply silly not to mention stupid. Remember, colder air equates to better combustion. It is just physics. Not rocket science.

E N J O Y !
You know you're taking this a bit personally when you pull out a daihatsu and compare it to a 2014 BMW, which is also 'silly' as you put it because they're still utilizing the stock system and a Tenzo R filter if you didn't just FF the video. If you're going to insult peoples intelligence with proven dyno charts I probably wouldn't start there. Also can you please explain why Ford Engineers of the SVT team provided the GT500 with a stock CAI system rather than a closed box on their FI engine with aggressive tuning due to more airflow is actually proven to produce more power regardless of the antiquated argument of "it's hot air" due to cooling methods incorporated in high performance FI cars now. I'd really love see you pull that specific car up and explain why the engineering team one of the most powerful mass produced V8's apparently got lucky or aren't smart because they didn't use a boxed off system to start.

Appreciate 0
      04-03-2014, 11:52 PM   #53
JustinCredibleM
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '15 GT-R, '02 996TT

@Chunner: Do you know how the intakes work in these cars? If you think the stock "grill scoop" is removed then you are greatly misinformed. Let me paint you a visual picture:

The stock airbox gets the cold air from a scoop connected to the grill which connects to the bottom of the box. This scoop still exists with the aFe intake and shoots the "colder" air directly at the cone which has its own heat shield to protect from the engine heat. So yes, is cool air in the engine bay, especially when you are moving at speed. I doubt the extra horsepower gain is from a stationary car and more from the cone is able to collect more air for the turbo from the increased surface area and extra "space" which was before limited by the stock box. This is advantageous for higher boost as the turbo needs to collect more air and is shown to be limited by the stock box. If these didn't work, then there would be no dyno proof (for any intake) of it working on turbo vehicles.

Furthermore, why are you even posting up a video of POD filter testing on old cars versus a modern day BMW? How is that even relevant to this car and its intake? Just because the these filters don't work on some old 90s naturally-aspirated cars, they automatically do not work on modern day forced-induced vehicles? I hope you understand you're basically comparing an irrelevant video to relevant turbo BMW intake results shown under multiple forum posts (do a search). Using that video as a comparison is more "stupid" than installing an intake on the M235i.

T H A N K S !

Last edited by JustinCredibleM; 04-04-2014 at 05:22 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2014, 06:46 AM   #54
Delnari
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 MG F22 Auto

+1

I have the aFe that has the more traditional enclosure design that will draw most of it's air from the front of the vehicle like the stock box. There are extra air intakes on top for added flow. What the big difference over the stock if the large air filter cone allowing more CFM air flow over the stock filter. I had this similar setup in my WRX with an AEM system and gain +26 HP by adding the air filter (already running a Stage 2 tune). So there is some truth about turbos gaining with these CAI systems.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2014, 08:29 PM   #55
Chunner
Captain
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
@Chunner: Do you know how the intakes work in these cars? If you think the stock "grill scoop" is removed then you are greatly misinformed. Let me paint you a visual picture:

The stock airbox gets the cold air from a scoop connected to the grill which connects to the bottom of the box. This scoop still exists with the aFe intake and shoots the "colder" air directly at the cone which has its own heat shield to protect from the engine heat. So yes, is cool air in the engine bay, especially when you are moving at speed. I doubt the extra horsepower gain is from a stationary car and more from the cone is able to collect more air for the turbo from the increased surface area and extra "space" which was before limited by the stock box. This is advantageous for higher boost as the turbo needs to collect more air and is shown to be limited by the stock box. If these didn't work, then there would be no dyno proof (for any intake) of it working on turbo vehicles.... ...
JustinCredibleM, stop this nonsense. Nobody is singling you out. I am not flaming you. Simply, pointing the obvious to you. In order for the OEM air intake to work correctly it must be sealed. Positive pressure is created in front of that scoop. Vacum is created by your engine. Cold air then travels into your OEM intake pipe. Then into the engine. When you break the seal, no cold air gets shot in. All you do is suck hot air. I really do not know how simpler to put it. If you choose to be ignorant. Go ahead. I was just trying to educate you. That is what these forums are all about.

Have fun sucking up all that hot air.

PS: That video I posted was awesome. I did not make it.

CHEERS!
2013 BMW 135is Coupe | Dinan Stage 3 | M3 Subframe Bushings | Dinan Monoball Joints | Dinan Toe Links | 1M Strut Bar | MPS AS/3 - VMR 710's 18x8.5 ET45 / 18x9.5 ET50 | MPSS - BMW 313's 18x7.5 / 18x8.5 | Min Grey, Savanna | Prem, Tech | DCT | Beast #341/586 |

Appreciate 0
      04-04-2014, 10:22 PM   #56
JustinCredibleM
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '15 GT-R, '02 996TT

Thank the BMW Gods he is done. Now back on topic.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2014, 10:34 PM   #57
Chunner
Captain
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Thank the BMW Gods he is done. Now back on topic.
Your most welcome my young padawan.

Appreciate 0
      04-10-2014, 09:14 AM   #58
JS919
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3 CS

Garage List
2018 BMW M3 CS  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chunner View Post

E N J O Y !
As I was scrolling through this thread I was hoping that someone would point this out. Good job! Thanks for saving me time to post the same thing. I guess people don't think that BMW has the ability to figure out how to optimize the intake system, but some guy fabricating stuff in his garage can. I couldn't imagine making this out of any worse material than metal pipe. So after you drag the air in from the hottest part of the car you can make sure its good and hot by running it through a metal pipe that is 300 degrees. Brilliant!
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2014, 09:58 AM   #59
Chunner
Captain
Rep

Garage List
JS919 THANK YOU and THANK YOU for your comment. Such a logical comment. Oorah!

Appreciate 0
      04-10-2014, 10:33 AM   #60
secono330ci
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 04 330ci

The only reason the AFE intake makes power on a dyno is because the hood is open (cool air) and even if it wasn't, the engine is not running for an increased amount of time to generate the heat to heat soak it like it would on the street..nevermind a track. It will only make power for about the first 5 mins of driving thats about it. Once that engine bay heats up, you'll lose power.

The stock intake wont sound as cool or have that throttle response, but will perform better overall. If there was a way to incorporate a large cone style filter with velocity stack in the OEM box, that would be the best solution.
      04-10-2014, 10:41 AM   #61
secono330ci
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 04 330ci

Anyways though, great looking car and it sounds great
      04-10-2014, 11:16 AM   #62
Cantletgo
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3 50th Jahre

You got to pay to play...taking that risk is your choice.

All of my past n54, current wife's F30 N55 and my FBO N54 E82 first mod JB and intake. The BMS DCI has been proven to produce more HP over stock and even more coupled with a piggy back tune. Reliability has been a non issue for me.

Volume and air density is the concern. Air density is greater when cooled meaning more volume with less air. Air is less dense when heated meaning = More air flow to equal same volume. So if you can increase the flow you can overcome the density needed. You loose ambient density but gain volume to make up and surpass your initial baseline (stock). So if you increased the volume yes you can gain HP/TQ.

Lastly if members choose to mod they realize the risks involved, but the ROI is exhilarating and well worth the risk. Like I said you got to pay to play and if you don't want to pay then don't play. It's that simple.

BTW I'm an addict and proud of it, I couldn't imagine driving something else..hahaha

P.S. Nice sounding exhaust, mine comes in Monday!
'16 F86 X6M Brilliant White
'13 E92 M3 Frozen Edition Brilliant White (My unicorn - Best Day Ever! )
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2014, 12:01 PM   #63
Delnari
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 MG F22 Auto

With just a $800 investment for JB4 and intake I gain 10% more power from my M235i. Happy with the price and performance. Didn't have pay so much to get more play.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2014, 12:05 PM   #64
MusclesCoupe
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 1M

That damn Porsche though lol
CF Spoiler w/the IND Touch.Elec Perf Wheel V2.6K Angel.Meisterschaft GT Gloss Black.AR DP.SLEK CF Front Spoiler.N55 Mid.Cust Mirror Caps.12mm Spacers.20%3M Tint.Clear Bra.IND Side Markers.OEM Perf Grills. Cobb AP Stage 2
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2014, 12:11 PM   #65
hyperboost
Captain
Rep
Drives: M3 Boxster Corvette M5C

sounds good. BMW should make some blacked out tips!
21 M5C DD|21 M550 xDrive|05 E46M3 race car 6SPD|2019 2LT Corvette GS 7SPD track car|22 Tundra SR5 TRD Sport|19 Q7 V6 & 22 Q7 2.0T|20 G63|19 Vantage 4.0TT|22 Boxster 25 Year 6SPD sold|08 Porsche Cayman 5SPD sold|18 R8 RWS sold|Many previous cars
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2014, 12:54 PM   #66
ORIGIN M.
Banned
Rep
Drives: ///M

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyperboost
sounds good. BMW should make some blacked out tips!
They have CF instead
Appreciate 0