THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum 2 Series Pricing, Ordering, European Delivery European Delivery-Notes and Timeline

11-12-2014, 09:20 PM   #1
ConstantMotion
Rep
Drives: 2015 228i

European Delivery-Notes and Timeline

My European Delivery experience is now complete. Having started the order process in late June, I drove my car into the garage tonight, November 12, 2014. This can be done quicker, but for us, the timing was perfect.

My process:

Late June-Decided to fulfill a lifetime dream to get a BMW via European Delivery. Did not ask the wife. Just asked her for dates we could make it to Munich. This was going to happen. Dealer's first question was: give me three dates you can be in Munich at BMW Welt to collect the car. BMWNA quickly confirmed the first choice date back to my dealer. I was told the date to collect the car at BMW Welt is the most important date; everything else would fall into place.

Early July-finalized all details about my new car. My CA helped me "get it right" so I wound up with a car that worked well aesthetically, mechanically, etc. I paid for the car, did paperwork with the dealer, sent passports page images, etc. My car was to be produced in Leipzig on or about August 14, 2014.

Late July-planned the trip. How long, where to go, what to see. Alps, Italy, Med.

August 13, 2014 The car was produced on the day they said it would-like everything else over there with BMW. If they tell you something, it happens exactly that way.

Late August-Got to Munich three days before the wife. Two days before delivery I utilized "BMW On Demand", the rent-a-BMW-by-the-hour located at BMW Welt. I reserved an M235i for four hours to "practice" driving-get all the gitters out and get familiar with driving in Europe. I drove to Garmich and back using the navi. This was great, I got the car up to 160km/hr on the unrestricted portion of the autobahn. A day later I took the factory tour of the Munich plant-not to be missed. A day later (wife now in Munich) we got the car. Unbelievable experience at BMW Welt. Food, freebies, royal treatment. Wow. Started our four country, 800 mile trip. Had a great journey. Talked to envious Europeans who couldn't believe this car is purchased tax free coming out of the EU. (Pay a much lower tax here, of course.) And our cars over here (and with European Delivery) cost less at retail to begin with.

Middle September-Turned the car over the drop off folks in France. A slight scratch on the R/R wheel rim. No other damage.

Late September-My car got on a boat headed for the USA.

Late October-27 days after leaving Bremerhaven the car was in Oxnard. My car sat at the port for two weeks. Agony. Found out it was customs, a random draw where they processed my car later and four days waiting for a new R/R wheel. That's right, they wanted to REPLACE it. They are perfectionists. WOW. This was much appreciated.

Early November-I got the car at the dealer and started my drive home to Northern California. (My dealer was in Southern California.)

Advice to anyone thinking about European Delivery. Do it. You'll love it. You won't forget it. It will be unlike any car purchase experience you ever have or will have. And BMW does it right.

My car: 228i, Sport Line, Manual Transmission, Premium Package, Tech Package, etc. Love it.
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2014, 09:52 AM   #2
bimmerbuff
Slightly Less Obsessed
United_States
Rep
Drives: Between BMWs

Very nice. Congrats! Post some pictures.
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2014, 11:39 AM   #3
hyperzulu
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235i

Appreciate 0
      11-14-2014, 06:15 PM   #4
MEBII
Mike Bryan
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW M235i  [0.00]
Thanks for sharing, I'm strongly considering ED. How much do you think you saved on the car, if any? Which dealer did you use?
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2014, 07:01 PM   #5
hyperzulu
Colonel
United_States
Rep

I can tell you I had an MSRP of $50,250 and got a 13.4% discount on price over US MSRP.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2014, 01:09 AM   #6
ConstantMotion
Rep
Drives: 2015 228i

If sold as a US delivered car, my 228i would have had a Total Suggested Price (MSRP plus all options) of $45,450 (including Destination Charge). ED on this car saves $2,195 off the top. My dealer gave me an additional $2,300 off. Total savings was 9.9% from the US price or 5.3% off ED price. Good luck on yours.
Appreciate 0