THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum Value of Driver Assist Plus and Parking Assist

04-27-2014, 10:23 PM   #1
///M235i
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M235i

Exclamation Value of Driver Assist Plus and Parking Assist

Hey folks. I estimate I have about one more day allowed if I wanted to change my order and add options. What are your thoughts on the value of the driver assist plus and the parking assist options?

Last edited by ///M235i; 04-28-2014 at 06:26 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2014, 12:17 AM   #2
wdlfbio
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2013 4S, 2015 3500 HD Dually,

If you need parking assist for a car this size, please stay out of a driver's seat until you are more capable at operating a vehicle. I'm not a fan.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2014, 12:41 AM   #3
VeryBadman
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 430i & Lexus NX300

Cool down a bit man, I respect your opinion but you don't have to attack OP for considering parking assist options.

To OP, I think Driver Assistant Plus is a nice to have option but I wouldn't pay more to get it. I can still clearly spot any speed limit signs and I have enough concentration to keep my car on my lane. Also I don't really like the later as I have tried it when I was looking for my other car and still decided to opt out. The feeling of vibrated steering is kinda weird for me.
      04-28-2014, 12:49 AM   #4
hyperzulu
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235i

From reading the manual, it appears that the drive assist plus is full featured, as in it adds active cruise with stop and go, pedestrian and collision detection with auto stop. Dunno if the manual lies or what. I know the configuration online doesn't say much, but if it does have those features, it may be worth it. As for parking assist, hmmm I think it could be useful for finding spots quickly, but if I can't tell if I fit into a spot, I may want to pass on it. That said, sometimes in la that tight spot may be the only one.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2014, 01:05 AM   #5
M.barnes
Captain
Rep
Drives: 123d

I didn't think cruise control with true slow down, or collision detection and auto stop were available on the 2 series
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2014, 02:14 AM   #6
hyperzulu
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M.barnes View Post
I didn't think cruise control with true slow down, or collision detection and auto stop were available on the 2 series
I probably misread. Option 5DF is not available on the 2 series, active cruise + stop n go. It does come with city collision mitigation and pedestrian protection, which both stop the car from a collision at speeds up to around 37 mph.

Not as cool, but could help save a life.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2014, 06:32 AM   #7
///M235i
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyperzulu View Post
I probably misread. Option 5DF is not available on the 2 series, active cruise + stop n go. It does come with city collision mitigation and pedestrian protection, which both stop the car from a collision at speeds up to around 37 mph.

Not as cool, but could help save a life.
What is active cruise?

Also I thought that every BMW came with the feature where the car power's down at the traffic light. Is that stop and go?

The last 24 months BMW has not done a good job at filling out the descriptions in the hover over's. It's like the content people just made sure "something" is there, without bothering to be complete.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2014, 09:48 AM   #8
///M235i
Second Lieutenant
Rep

After reviewing the owners manual PDF where it actually does go in to appropriate detail, there is great overall benefit above and beyond the obvious functions of driver assist plus and parking assist.

BMW really needs to do a better job at marketing to these strengths.

In general, technology makes me tick. Being a techie and somewhat? of a gearhead I will enjoy configuring all of these button driven apps? on my huge red iPhone with wheels.

Most on the lot cars come with $500 heated seats, however I am configuring this with parking assist, for the same cost I'd go with parking assist over heated seats every time. A good portion of on the lot cars come with the HK 12 speaker upgrade. The stock stereo with 10 speakers is fantastic. While I am sure the HK does sound even better I'd rather use those $ with the driver assist plus.

From a value proposition that is just one way to look at it. I just pulled the trigger on these two upgrades.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2014, 09:50 AM   #9
five3three
Major
Rep
Drives: m2c

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdlfbio View Post
If you need parking assist for a car this size, please stay out of a driver's seat until you are more capable at operating a vehicle. I'm not a fan.
I got park assist and I can parallel park perfectly on the first try just about anything I get behind the wheel of.

The reason I got the park assist was because it gave me the bumper sensors for free which I thought would be cool to have and I didn't want to pay for the full package with the rear view camera. The park assist may be fun to try or show off to people, but other than that I probably wouldn't use it.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2014, 09:52 AM   #10
BEM-S4
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Dinan M235, Dinan Sport Wagon

I also thought park assist was BS and you shouldn't drive a car if you can't park without it, that is until I bought my Touareg off the lot. It had it as an option. It's honestly really nice especially if you are parking at night, on a curve or something else a little unusual. The biggest problem you will have is once you get used to it, then drive a car without it you forget that you won't get a warning beep and tap stuff parking.

EDIT: When I say park assist I mean just the sensors, not the actually do it for you auto parking. That I think is gimmicky at best. The sensors are really nice to have though.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2014, 09:55 AM   #11
five3three
Major
Rep
Drives: m2c

Quote:
Originally Posted by MmmTwo35 View Post
Hey folks. I estimate I have about one more day allowed if I wanted to change my order and add options. What are your thoughts on the value of the driver assist plus and the parking assist options?
I think the driver assist plus is unnecessary as it's mainly the lane departure warning (which I find annoying) and also the speed limit signs detector which you should be seeing on the street anyway instead of on your dash.

Since you already got the basic driver assist, I don't see a value of the park assist option unless you just need that extra assistance with parallel parking (or have someone who drives your car who needs it).

The only reason I got park assist was because I didn't want to get any of the driver assist packages and it's the only cheap way to get the bumper sensors included, so for the $500 option I got both park assist and park distance control.

It seems like you're good where you are at.
Appreciate 1
      04-28-2014, 10:00 AM   #12
nachob
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2004 330i ZHP, 2022 Cayman T

NO!
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2014, 10:34 AM   #13
crawfordbay
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M Coupe

Garage List
1998 BMW M Coupe  [0.00]
2014 BMW M235i  [0.00]
Quote:
I agree. Unless you live in an urban area where parking is always a special issue to you, I'd skip the nanny assistance ... at least until our nanny state government requires us to.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2014, 11:03 AM   #14
nachob
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Joking aside, no wonder this car weighs close to 3600 lbs. They drop the easy to read oil temp gauge and replace it with an M235i logo, don't offer LSD in almost 50K sports coupe, they don't engineer real exhaust sound but use fake microphones and speakers, but they can add all the software and hardware to park it for you.

Doesn't anyone have any self-respect? Any pride in the ability to parallel park and to master your car? No one is embarrassed by fake/enhanced engine sound or being able to to park your car?

I remember reading Henry Miller talking about two hookers in Paris. There was the "princess" that thought she was special and high class hooker. Then there was the other hooker that was an honest hooker and better at her craft with no pretense. In this vain, I think the google autonomous vehicle is cool, because it is an honest hooker. It says, driving stinks and this car drives itself, with no pretense. A car with any sort of M badge that parks itself is hooker that thinks she is a princess.

C'mon guys have some self-respect, please.

Last edited by nachob; 04-28-2014 at 11:45 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2014, 11:10 AM   #15
SteveAustin
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 228i

Parking Assistant - yet another discrepancy I was going to point out to BMW - the Model Highlights page indicates it parks for you using pedals and steering. On the configurator page it states it steers while you operate gas and brake. Whatever the case I ordered it as a toy.

The Driver Assitance Plus seemed like something that would annoy me - I haven't hit any pedestrians or run off the road or whatever. It seems like electronic nannies that I would rather avoid.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2014, 11:57 PM   #16
hoyasaxa
Captain
Rep
Drives: GTI | 982 4.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEM-S4 View Post
EDIT: When I say park assist I mean just the sensors, not the actually do it for you auto parking. That I think is gimmicky at best. The sensors are really nice to have though.
I used to own a Touareg2 which came with front and rear parking sensors. You ever put it in neutral at a light to see the rear sensors come up to see how close the jerk behind you got? lol
      04-29-2014, 12:33 AM   #17
hyperzulu
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nachob View Post
they don't engineer real exhaust sound but use fake microphones and speakers, but they can add all the software and hardware to park it for you.
The M235i sounds awesome from outside. If they did not spend any money tuning it, they should save their money and not tune any of their cars.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2014, 12:58 AM   #18
///M235i
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Rough crowd!

I think what you guys are missing with the driver assist plus is the safety element. For instance, automatic application of breaks when car ahead gets too close. I don't care who you are or what you've been driving, that can help every body.

You think my BMW gadgets are silly, I think replacing wheels and bumpers and exhaust and mirror caps and seats! on a brand-new car is the most silly ever… at least the gadgets have utility.

"That there now has great utility" – Hank Hil

Last edited by ///M235i; 04-29-2014 at 05:38 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2014, 08:52 AM   #19
rwalker
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: the wheels off

I have them both and after a month, I'm over them.

The collision detector false alarms on parked cars and cars in other lanes when going around corners, emitting a very distracting beep. Adding to the annoyance, you have to turn it off every time you get in the car.

I've never used the parking assistant, the car is just too tidy for me to feel I need it.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2014, 09:47 AM   #20
hyperzulu
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwalker View Post
I have them both and after a month, I'm over them.

The collision detector false alarms on parked cars and cars in other lanes when going around corners, emitting a very distracting beep. Adding to the annoyance, you have to turn it off every time you get in the car.

I've never used the parking assistant, the car is just too tidy for me to feel I need it.
That is disappointing...
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2014, 09:56 AM   #21
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Tesla MYRWD

Quote:
Yes, in a slightly toned down way I feel the same, shouldn't need this at all. GREAT technology IMO but a small car to park itself. Spec something else if you have the $$$ ?
      04-29-2014, 11:04 AM   #22
nachob
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyperzulu View Post
The M235i sounds awesome from outside. If they did not spend any money tuning it, they should save their money and not tune any of their cars.
I take full blame for my generation watering down "Awesome." We did it in the eighties and I'm guilty of it but I am trying to atone for that. The best wine (and exhaust note) in the world, is the one YOU like. I don't mean this arrogantly, I swear, but I come from a 1M which did not have the awesome sound of an E90 M3 but it was loud, especially cold. For me it DID meet the minimum requirements of awesome. The E90 exhaust in anger is awesome and uses no microphones or speakers. I don't hear anything from the M235i. It's pretty weak actually for me on the outside. Again, I come from a 1M which is loud so take it for that. The exhaust was a disappointment for me. Inside, again, it was quiet until you hit about 3500 rpm, then something hurt my inner ear. Like high frequency thing that caused discomfort. It wasn't even loud, just not quite right.

As far as self parking ///M cars, go. We are not in the Lexus soccer-mom forum and the poster asked what people thought of this "feature" and we answered. It seems strange that BMW would add this feature to their sporty model but not engineer a real exhaust system or take away the oil temp gauge. I think it speaks to a misalignment of priorities between BMW and many of the people it targets its cars too.
Appreciate 0