THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum How much is it for one of those front tow hook covers painted?

08-28-2016, 08:14 PM   #1
MrBucket
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 AW M2 6MT Exec Pack

How much is it for one of those front tow hook covers painted?

Trading my car in soon and can't seem to find the thing. Just get one to replace it I guess, can't be too pricey with it being so small right?
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2016, 07:25 AM   #2
redontheline
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: EB 235 MT

What color are you? With my repair, they popped a new one in with my original still in my trunk compartment. EBII.

Edit - checked your post history. Looks like we're a match.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2016, 08:58 AM   #3
RoundelM3
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 15 F80 M3, 22 G01 X3 30i

Garage List
2022 BMW X3  [9.83]
2015 BMW M3  [6.50]
The tow hook covers I've purchased in the past from getbmwparts dot com are delivered in primer and need painting to match the car's bumper. There are subtle variations of the same color, and even the bumpers don't always exactly match the rest of the car (they're painted in a different facility at the factory). Depending on your choice of painters/body shop, the cost of painting this small part can be as high as $50.

If someone is selling them already painted, there may be a very slight color mismatch, same as with those pre-painted side-marker replacements.

2015 F80 ///M3 Sedan 7DCT Tanzanite, 2022 X3 sDrive30i 8AT Brooklyn Grey
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2016, 08:13 PM   #4
MrBucket
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 AW M2 6MT Exec Pack

Great news is I found the thing on my computer desk tonight after arriving home from work. The strange thing is I'd searched all over the desk multiple times before. I walked into my office and it was the first thing that my eyes went to, it was really odd.

The even better news is that I'll be trading in my M235i on a brand new Alpine White, 6 speed, executive package M2 tomorrow
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2016, 12:45 AM   #5
murderwasthebass
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 228i Coupe, M Sport, 6MT

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by roundel335 View Post
The tow hook covers I've purchased in the past from getbmwparts dot com are delivered in primer and need painting to match the car's bumper. There are subtle variations of the same color, and even the bumpers don't always exactly match the rest of the car (they're painted in a different facility at the factory). Depending on your choice of painters/body shop, the cost of painting this small part can be as high as $50.

If someone is selling them already painted, there may be a very slight color mismatch, same as with those pre-painted side-marker replacements.
Are you saying that the bumpers are painted in a different facility at the BMW factory? Ive often wondered this because sometimes when I look at my car (Alpine White), the color of the bumpers seems a little off to the rest of the car...
      09-04-2016, 10:00 AM   #6
RoundelM3
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2022 BMW X3  [9.83]
2015 BMW M3  [6.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by murderwasthebass View Post
Are you saying that the bumpers are painted in a different facility at the BMW factory? Ive often wondered this because sometimes when I look at my car (Alpine White), the color of the bumpers seems a little off to the rest of the car...
Yes, that's correct. A few years ago, I got a front lip spoiler for my 2007 E92 335i Sport. It covered the bottom half of the bumper, and when I took it to the local BMW body shop, the painter brought out several "sprayout" sheets to match the bumper. In bright sunlight, he showed me how the one that matched the bumper did not match the car body and vice-versa. He then told me that on a tour of the factory in Munich, he was shown how the bumpers were painted in a different facility and transported to the assembly line in another building where they were made available for final assembly. Consequently, the bumpers are a tiny shade different than the rest of the body panels - but it takes very close examination to detect it.

Appreciate 0
      09-04-2016, 03:29 PM   #7
murderwasthebass
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 228i Coupe, M Sport, 6MT

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by roundel335 View Post
Yes, that's correct. A few years ago, I got a front lip spoiler for my 2007 E92 335i Sport. It covered the bottom half of the bumper, and when I took it to the local BMW body shop, the painter brought out several "sprayout" sheets to match the bumper. In bright sunlight, he showed me how the one that matched the bumper did not match the car body and vice-versa. He then told me that on a tour of the factory in Munich, he was shown how the bumpers were painted in a different facility and transported to the assembly line in another building where they were made available for final assembly. Consequently, the bumpers are a tiny shade different than the rest of the body panels - but it takes very close examination to detect it.
I'll be damned. That explains it. You'd think even though the bumpers are being painted in a different facility, as long as they are using the same paint it would all come out the same. Weird.
      09-05-2016, 01:47 PM   #8
RoundelM3
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2022 BMW X3  [9.83]
2015 BMW M3  [6.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by murderwasthebass View Post
I'll be damned. That explains it. You'd think even though the bumpers are being painted in a different facility, as long as they are using the same paint it would all come out the same. Weird.
It's more prevalent on the metallic/pearlescent colors than the solid colors. A lot has to do with the way the paint is laid down, which determines which way the metallic "stands up" when light hits it. That, and while the paint may be the same color, it's made in batches and isn't always exactly the same. Just like buying the same paint at 2 different stores when you're re-doing your living room.

Appreciate 0