THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics Navigation System option

08-25-2016, 01:51 PM   #23
MikeT
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 m235i

Part of this depends on how often you use navigation. I know my city/area like the back of my hand, so I can get by with using my phone for the few times per year that I need navigation. If you need/use navigation a lot, I'd say go for it.

For me, the only real issue was the LCD. The bigger screen just plain does look better. I won't sugarcoat it. The nav package widescreen is clearly nicer. For me, though, the question was how much are you willing to pay for a nicer LCD? Let's face it, if I went into Best Buy to purchase a tablet or something and they told me that the 9-inch version was $2,000 more than the 6-inch version, I'd laugh and walk out. And yet because it's inside a car, we somehow lose all perspective on reasonable pricing. Not having (nor needing) navigation, I'm only looking at the screen for things like radio station, phone calls and the backup camera. For those tasks, only the backup camera system would benefit from the larger screen, but only slightly. The backup camera image doesn't use much of the tech/nav package screen space, so the resultant image is only about 0.5" wider and taller than the image on the non-nav screen.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2016, 02:19 PM   #24
wtfbrah
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: None

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeT View Post
Part of this depends on how often you use navigation. I know my city/area like the back of my hand, so I can get by with using my phone for the few times per year that I need navigation. If you need/use navigation a lot, I'd say go for it.

For me, the only real issue was the LCD. The bigger screen just plain does look better. I won't sugarcoat it. The nav package widescreen is clearly nicer. For me, though, the question was how much are you willing to pay for a nicer LCD? Let's face it, if I went into Best Buy to purchase a tablet or something and they told me that the 9-inch version was $2,000 more than the 6-inch version, I'd laugh and walk out. And yet because it's inside a car, we somehow lose all perspective on reasonable pricing. Not having (nor needing) navigation, I'm only looking at the screen for things like radio station, phone calls and the backup camera. For those tasks, only the backup camera system would benefit from the larger screen, but only slightly. The backup camera image doesn't use much of the tech/nav package screen space, so the resultant image is only about 0.5" wider and taller than the image on the non-nav screen.
... But for $2,000 you aren't JUST getting the bigger screen. As was mentioned before ITT, there's actually a ton of functionally added, not just the nav and split-screening.

In terms of convenience, If you're gonna own the car for several years the cost of the nav system spread over those few years is really tiny. It's a LOT safer to use the nav system in the car instead of using your phone, since the nav system displays your turn directions on your instrument cluster as well.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2016, 02:45 PM   #25
MikeT
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 m235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by wtfbrah View Post
... But for $2,000 you aren't JUST getting the bigger screen. As was mentioned before ITT, there's actually a ton of functionally added, not just the nav and split-screening.
Oh, I'm aware of that. Believe me, I studied the package very closely before making a decision. I had a loaner with the tech/nav package, so I'm fully aware of what's included. It's just for ME personally, the bigger LCD was the only feature that impressed me. And for me personally, it wasn't worth $2K even amortized over the life of the car. Others may come to the opposite conclusion, and that's cool. Different strokes for different folks.

On a side note concerning other features of the package, though, I actually prefer the gauge cluster in the NON-tech/nav package. The fully analog dials for fuel level and real-time MPG have a very clean, classic look. For ME, the ideal setup would have been the non-tech/nav gauge cluster, along with the bigger LCD... for, say, $500 more. Such an arrangement is impossible, of course, so we have what we have.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2016, 04:03 PM   #26
Kolyan2k
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2006 S2000

As much as I like Google Maps and use it daily, I still sometimes prefer to use BMW nav. Its easy enough to use and safer/more convenient. Thanks to forum I also updated my nav/maps to 2017 version for free.

And even with Google Maps running on phone, its still convenient to look at maps on iDrive. So basically I always use both anyway.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2016, 04:22 PM   #27
Sleslie
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2017 230i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by doccyber View Post
Skip it. Spend the money on a tune or an exhaust. It's a car and not a computer.
Actually according to this article (ironically entitled "How Cars Have Become Rolling Computers) the average modern car has 25-50 CPUs. I'll bet BMWs are at the very high end.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2016, 04:23 PM   #28
wtfbrah
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: None

Lol

Also, it's a car AND a computer. The M240i is a daily driver for most people so having a nav system is pretty useful.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2016, 04:43 PM   #29
Dylan86
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: F15d msport, F22 m235i

I use mine often enough to justify it I suppose. Initially when I was shopping new, I was going to opt out of it. Happy I have it now, though. After losing a family member recently to driving and using a handheld device, I want as much integration as I can get with my phone. Being able to siri/text reply to people and make calls hands free and command navigation locations can come in handy when you're in an unfamiliar area.

For most and including myself, it's a visual thing I feel. Having the ability to add the larger screen to a non nav car would be great. And if I'm not mistaken, someone has already done this, which is what I'd do if I didn't have one already. Again, just the visual thing for me mostly, but now that I have it I wouldn't want it any other way.
      08-25-2016, 06:09 PM   #30
Elvisfan
Major
Rep
Drives: 2018 430ix convertible MGM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wtfbrah View Post
No, but I am actually curious how flexible and intuitive the voice system is. For example with Google maps you can say "find the nearest ___".

If my chipotle comment offended you I am sorry that you have a stick up your ass
Real classy. I just couldn't recall ever seeing that word on an auto forum.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2016, 07:09 PM   #31
wjones14
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2C

If nothing else there's the safety factor. Unless you're putting the phone in front of the iDrive screen, you're going to have to move your eyes farther from what's in front of you on the road to see the phone versus looking at the iDrive screen. Not to mention the advance notice you get for the next turn on the message center between the two big gauges. And there's also the fact that the phone screen is quite a bit smaller, and therefore more difficult to see at a glance (which is all you should be doing while driving), than the bigger iDrive screen.

Other factors that made the decision a no-brainer for me:

1. BMW apps. The Laptimer app is a fantastic tool for recording track day sessions, or even 0-60 times if you want to use it for that.

2. No wires or mounting things from the vents, etc.

3. Integrated with the entertainment system, so radio volume is automatically lowered during navigation voice instructions.

4. Bigger screen. Bigger is better. (I actually have received a lot of compliments from passengers on the size and quality of the screen.)
      08-25-2016, 07:45 PM   #32
Elvisfan
Major
Rep
Drives: 2018 430ix convertible MGM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjones14 View Post
If nothing else there's the safety factor. Unless you're putting the phone in front of the iDrive screen, you're going to have to move your eyes farther from what's in front of you on the road to see the phone versus looking at the iDrive screen. Not to mention the advance notice you get for the next turn on the message center between the two big gauges. And there's also the fact that the phone screen is quite a bit smaller, and therefore more difficult to see at a glance (which is all you should be doing while driving), than the bigger iDrive screen.

Other factors that made the decision a no-brainer for me:

1. BMW apps. The Laptimer app is a fantastic tool for recording track day sessions, or even 0-60 times if you want to use it for that.

2. No wires or mounting things from the vents, etc.

3. Integrated with the entertainment system, so radio volume is automatically lowered during navigation voice instructions.

4. Bigger screen. Bigger is better. (I actually have received a lot of compliments from passengers on the size and quality of the screen.)
You also don't have to deal with cell service going out.
Appreciate 1
wjones14656.50
      08-25-2016, 10:20 PM   #33
raleedy
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 228i 6-speed

I use the nav all the time not for route directions, but for traffic advice. Indispensable.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2016, 08:06 AM   #34
shark715
Captain
Rep
Drives: '11 X5 50i, '16 M235xi vert

Quote:
Originally Posted by krhodes1 View Post
My only gripe is that the voice recognition of addresses is lousy.
It's more than a gripe...it's really bad! Our X5 is far far better in this respect.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2016, 08:17 AM   #35
shark715
Captain
Rep

Candidly the address voice recognition is so bad we stopped trying to use it. Has anyone had their dealer look at the problem, and what was the result?
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2016, 08:44 AM   #36
Sportstick
Major General
Rep
Drives: '15 228i and '24 X3 sDrive30i

Quote:
Originally Posted by shark715 View Post
Candidly the address voice recognition is so bad we stopped trying to use it. Has anyone had their dealer look at the problem, and what was the result?
I've had the opposite experience. Mine works quite well, so there is variation and perhaps potential for improvement. I note you have a convertible, so I wonder if ambient noise is an issue? I found the convertible loaner I had recently much noisier inside than is my coupe.
2015 228i 6MT/Track Handling/Tech/Cold/Premium/Lighting/Driver Assistance/KCDesign Strut Brace/M2 LCAs/Rogue SSK/BBS SR/PS4S/ER Chargepipe/AA Intercooler/Dinan Shockware/MPerformance Spoiler/Black Grilles/Xpel Ultimate PPF & Prime XR+ Tint/Adam's Ceramic/no CDV
2024 X3 sDrive30i/MSport/Premium/Dynamic Handling/Shadowline/Parking/Xpel Prime XR Plus/Weathertech Cargo Liner
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2016, 08:56 AM   #37
msej449
msej449
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M235i Convertible +LSD 2016

Garage List
I had the Business Nav on my previous 3-Series and have the Professional Nav on my M235i and I'm really glad I opted for the latter. Not only does it split the (bigger) screen, which is really useful, but I also get the junction details as well on the instrument cluster. And the Pro voice directions seems to be more sensible - the previous BusNav gave bizarre directions from time to time. Worst case with BusNav was in a small village in France it kept telling me to "Turn around when possible" leaving the village eastbound and westbound. The traffic status seems to be better as well, I assume due to RTTI.

I know that it's disproportionately expensive, but as mentioned, if you're going to have the car for any length of time and need some form of Nav, then I'd go for it.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2016, 10:10 AM   #38
shark715
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportstick View Post
I've had the opposite experience. Mine works quite well, so there is variation and perhaps potential for improvement. I note you have a convertible, so I wonder if ambient noise is an issue? I found the convertible loaner I had recently much noisier inside than is my coupe.
No question the vert is noisier, but unfortunately even if I'm parked with the top up it works poorly.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2016, 10:16 AM   #39
RoundelM3
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 15 F80 M3, 22 G01 X3 30i

Garage List
2022 BMW X3  [9.83]
2015 BMW M3  [6.50]
The Nav in my 2016 228i convertible is pretty good, although I think the Garmin I have in my 2013 335i is a little easier to use. One thing I noticed about the one in the 228i is that even though I'd set up a trip by sending destinations to the car via Google Maps, it would dynamically route me around traffic delays at any given time during the trip. My Garmin does that too, but its traffic source appears to be limited to larger metropolitan areas.

I also concur that the Tech Package is more than just the navigation and larger screen. I don't really need the "connected drive" features, but being able to see the local weather forecast (I live near the Atlantic coast) is a nice feature during hurricane season.

2015 F80 ///M3 Sedan 7DCT Tanzanite, 2022 X3 sDrive30i 8AT Brooklyn Grey
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2016, 09:58 AM   #40
ThreeToTwo
Private
England
Rep
Drives: 2016 6MT M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by msej449 View Post
I had the Business Nav on my previous 3-Series and have the Professional Nav on my M235i and I'm really glad I opted for the latter. Not only does it split the (bigger) screen, which is really useful, but I also get the junction details as well on the instrument cluster. <snip>

I know that it's disproportionately expensive, but as mentioned, if you're going to have the car for any length of time and need some form of Nav, then I'd go for it.
I didn't get the Professional nav in my (2016) 235 as I couldn't justify the extra cash (for me).

The Business Nav is, in my opinion, in the UK, undersold and it works well for me; I don't know how the US version compares to what we get in Europe. It's much smarter than that in my previous E90 3-series.

I get junction details in the instrument cluster and I added RTTI (for GBP50/year) since that was the feature I most envied. I get free map updates for three years, I just have to download them myself and connect a USB stick to the car to install them. I get E-Mail and Streetview and weather and lots of the fun little things too.

I don't have the (lovely) big display and I don't have any voice commands (except to Siri on my iPhone which, surprisingly, works on this pre-CarPlay vehicle). You pays your money and you takes your choice...
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2016, 10:46 AM   #41
raleedy
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 228i 6-speed

US market gets only the professional unit. If you don't spring for that, you get the small screen and limited on-board iDrive functions only, as I understand it.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2016, 07:55 PM   #42
2seriesaddict
Private
Rep
Drives: 220i with m235 looks

Toretto

Quote:
Originally Posted by doccyber View Post
Skip it. Spend the money on a tune or an exhaust. It's a car and not a computer.
Totally agree!
doccyber258.50
      09-11-2016, 10:17 AM   #43
Hellrot
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 16 M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elvisfan View Post
Why would you say that?
How else would you ask a computer for directions?
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2016, 10:19 AM   #44
Hellrot
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 16 M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportstick View Post
If you say the right commands it works fine. Its just not as smart as say siri to figure out what the heck you are saying if it's not what the system is expecting.
Appreciate 0