THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Wheels and Tires -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack Tire Decision Time

08-23-2016, 04:52 PM   #1
Sleslie
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2017 230i xDrive

Tire Decision Time

I just received a call from my Dealer's sales manager. The 230i (xDrive with M Track Package) that I ordered a few weeks ago and was to have been delivered about end of September has been delayed from a week 31 build to at least a week 39 build apparently because of a "world wide shortage" of the Michelin PSS tires (could slip further if tire shortage continues). I'm told that if I switch back to the Run Flat Tires the car will move back to week 31.

How does BMW count weeks? I just realized we are in week 35 of 2016 now I believe so it can't be from the start of the year.

I'm torn. From what I've read the improvement from a RFT to the PSS is significant. But the extra 2 month wait will be very hard...

The reaction I'm getting from the dealer is a bit like I'm the first person to ever request this option and suggestions that the RFTs are good. They offered to switch RFT with PSS when my car comes in if they happen to have a car with the right size PSS on the lot at the time (she admitted that was a low probablity)

I guess I could get the RFTs and buy Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+ (for my location probably the better choice here if what I've heard about the PSS's cold (but not yet snowy) performance is true) and immediately switch them out. However is there a market for selling the brand new RFTs? And I'm certainly going to loose money on the deal.

Advice? If I want to switch to RFT and get back my earlier build allocation I need to act soon.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2016, 05:07 PM   #2
pimp4cheddar
El Capitán
United_States
Rep
Drives: BSM X3M

Being that you're in Canada All Season tires wouldn't be a bad idea.

In Florida - the different between PSS and All Season tires is night and day. The day I switched is a day I'll never forget.

It's like swapping stock wheels for a set of lightweight forged wheels...that drive from the wheel shop is amazing and you realize what a different wheels make.

What RFT tires did they offer? Continental?
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2016, 05:11 PM   #3
Viffermike
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 black-n-blue 718 Cayman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleslie View Post
I just received a call from my Dealer's sales manager. The 230i (xDrive with M Track Package) that I ordered a few weeks ago and was to have been delivered about end of September has been delayed from a week 31 build to at least a week 39 build apparently because of a "world wide shortage" of the Michelin PSS tires (could slip further if tire shortage continues). I'm told that if I switch back to the Run Flat Tires the car will move back to week 31.

How does BMW count weeks? I just realized we are in week 35 of 2016 now I believe so it can't be from the start of the year.

I'm torn. From what I've read the improvement from a RFT to the PSS is significant. But the extra 2 month wait will be very hard...

The reaction I'm getting from the dealer is a bit like I'm the first person to ever request this option and suggestions that the RFTs are good. They offered to switch RFT with PSS when my car comes in if they happen to have a car with the right size PSS on the lot at the time (she admitted that was a low probablity)

I guess I could get the RFTs and buy Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+ (for my location probably the better choice here if what I've heard about the PSS's cold (but not yet snowy) performance is true) and immediately switch them out. However is there a market for selling the brand new RFTs? And I'm certainly going to loose money on the deal.

Advice? If I want to switch to RFT and get back my earlier build allocation I need to act soon.
As a rule of thumb, you should NOT run three-season performance tires like the PSS if ambient temps consistently go below 40 degrees or so. It's not about performance suffering -- it's about performance disappearing because the tires are not made to be operated below those temperatures. So your choices are:
1). Go with the PSSs (on a square setup, I'm guessing, since you've ordered xDrive) and invest in a winter tire/wheel setup -- which you should almost immediately put on your car if delivery will be in week 42-44 (3-4 weeks from the build week ... so, late October)
2). Opt for the RFTs ONLY if they are all-season RFTs -- otherwise, rule 1). applies for them, too.
3). Opt for an all-season xDrive setup from the factory if you won't have a winter tire/wheel setup.

Sorry for the iffy news, but you'd be stupid to run three-season tires in December up there. You're not only putting yourself and your car at risk, you're putting your liability at risk if you knowingly run improper tires in ambient temps that cold. Your insurance company won't like that.

Update: I just checked Ottawa's average temp chart. Dude, you're below 40 degrees for a solid five months out of the year, from late October to early April. PSSs should not be a consideration unless you run a winter set.
Appreciate 1
8Bmw168.00
      08-23-2016, 05:32 PM   #4
Sleslie
Private
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viffermike View Post
Sorry for the iffy news, but you'd be stupid to run three-season tires in December up there. You're not only putting yourself and your car at risk, you're putting your liability at risk if you knowingly run improper tires in ambient temps that cold. Your insurance company won't like that.

Update: I just checked Ottawa's average temp chart. Dude, you're below 40 degrees for a solid five months out of the year, from late October to early April. PSSs should not be a consideration unless you run a winter set.
Sorry I should have been clearer: It has always been my intention to get a set of winter tires and wheels (currently leaning towards Michelin X-Ice Xi3). Absolutely agree it would be stupid to try to drive here over the winter with summer performance tires.

The question is really about RFT vs PSS for the rest of the year.
Appreciate 1
Viffermike1753.00
      08-23-2016, 05:53 PM   #5
Dylan86
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: F15d msport, F22 m235i

I have non RFT PSS's on my car. They're awesome. Got rid of the Pirelli RFT's that came with the car and wouldn't go back.

So you ordered the car with non RFT PSS's I'm assuming?

Questions is, without a spare in this car, are you willing to deal with having to tow to the repair shop if the time comes? Or would you prefer to be able to drive it wherever you need to go. If you're asking if PSS RFT's are okay, yes they're fine. They just ride a bit harder than a non run flat PSS, similar grip/performance though.

Ask for a discount for not having what you ordered, and sell the tires that come with the car and replace them with what you want later, if that jives?

D
      08-23-2016, 07:47 PM   #6
Sleslie
Private
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pimp4cheddar View Post
What RFT tires did they offer? Continental?
I think the RFT are Pirelli, but I'm not sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylan86 View Post
I have non RFT PSS's on my car. They're awesome. Got rid of the Pirelli RFT's that came with the car and wouldn't go back.

So you ordered the car with non RFT PSS's I'm assuming?

Questions is, without a spare in this car, are you willing to deal with having to tow to the repair shop if the time comes? Or would you prefer to be able to drive it wherever you need to go. If you're asking if PSS RFT's are okay, yes they're fine. They just ride a bit harder than a non run flat PSS, similar grip/performance though.

Ask for a discount for not having what you ordered, and sell the tires that come with the car and replace them with what you want later, if that jives?

D
Yes I ordered the 21L NRF option within the M Track Package.

I plan to get one of the mobility/slime kits as a backup but I can't remember the last time I had a flat and I can accept the risk and hassle of having to call for a flatbed tow (I'll have both CAA and BMW roadside assistance available to me).

I think that a delay of around a month (end of Oct rather than end Sept) is probably worth the improved summer driving the PSS will provide. I'll have to put on the winter tires shortly after I take delivery so I won't get to enjoy them for 5-6 months.

Thanks for the suggestions everyone.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2016, 07:49 PM   #7
bryan_G01
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: like i stole it...

most important...

Run flats have a speed limiter for 130 mph, others are 155.
1997 M3 Sedan Auto Cosmo Black Metallic
2018 x3 m40 Auto Grey Metallic
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2016, 08:07 PM   #8
wjones14
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryan_f22 View Post
most important...

True. I wouldn't have been able to do this with run flats:
Attached Images

08-23-2016, 08:49 PM   #9
bryan_G01
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: like i stole it...

7th gear maxs out at 159.9 mph

1997 M3 Sedan Auto Cosmo Black Metallic
2018 x3 m40 Auto Grey Metallic
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2016, 08:59 PM   #10
M3 Esq
Automobilist
United_States
Rep
Drives: E70 X5, 911 GT3

Tough call but I'd wait and get what I wanted. You special ordered the car so no compromises! If you were buying off the lot I'd say yea take the all seasons and go aftermarket but a few months isn't a lot in the grand scheme.
Appreciate 2
wjones14655.00
doccyber258.50
      08-23-2016, 11:18 PM   #11
Elvisfan
Major
Rep
Drives: 2018 430ix convertible MGM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryan_f22 View Post
most important...

I have no plans to ever go 130 mph.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2016, 11:53 PM   #12
Transfer
Major General
Rep
Drives: Bronco Wildtrak, Tesla MYP

Do you want 7" width wheels all around with skinny tires, or 8" rears (still too skinny) with 245s? Personally I ordered with the PSS on my xDrive and I wouldn't have had it any other way. I run PA4s in winter on a separate staggered wheelset.
Appreciate 1
doccyber258.50
      08-24-2016, 09:27 AM   #13
raleedy
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 228i 6-speed

In the US market, the non-RFT-equipped cars come with a puncture kit: slime and pump, packed into the battery compartment under the trunk floor.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2016, 11:16 AM   #14
SchmullisBob
Private
Rep
Drives: M235i Coupe - 2015

Winter Tires & Wheels and using the PSS on stock wheels for summer is the way to go.

I swapped out my Pirelli RF (square set up) for Michelin PSS and the difference is day and night.

Your issue is one of about $1,000, the cost of 4 PSS from the Tire Rack. If you "just have to have that car sooner", it will cost you $ 1,000 to swap out the RF. If you can delay your gratification, order the PSS and wait. Also, the PSS RF are TWICE the price of the standard PSS and I've heard they don't ride as quiet and smooth as the standard PSS.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2016, 07:58 AM   #15
artinz
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: m235i

Don't get the run flats. Wait the 2 months for the PSS tires. I'm in Canada as well and glad I got the PSS tires then just bought separate set for winter.

More importantly, I thought that the pss tires can only come with 461 wheels in Canada? I remember for my m235i, I couldn't get the pss unless I got the 461 wheels.

Is that not the case with the 230's as well?
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2016, 10:38 AM   #16
JohnnyCanuck
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 Audi RS3

artinz what did you buy for winter wheels and tires?
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2016, 10:52 AM   #17
artinz
Private
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyCanuck
artinz what did you buy for winter wheels and tires?
I bought 17" square setup with replica bmw wheels and Dunlop Wintersport 3D's.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2016, 11:01 AM   #18
JohnnyCanuck
Major
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by artinz View Post
Was curious because I have a $1000 gift certificate from BMW that I would ideally want to use towards winter wheels and tires, but it seems all they offer are RFT's for winter and I'm not sure about the difference in ride with the stiffer sidewalls. I assume you got the normal tire, not the run flat?
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2016, 11:03 AM   #19
artinz
Private
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyCanuck
Quote:
Was curious because I have a $1000 gift certificate from BMW that I would ideally want to use towards winter wheels and tires, but it seems all they offer are RFT's for winter and I'm not sure about the difference in ride with the stiffer sidewalls. I assume you got the normal tire, not the run flat?
Correct. You could always use the $1000 towards M performance parts if that interests you.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2016, 11:16 AM   #20
JohnnyCanuck
Major
Canada
Rep

As I said in another thread, the wife knows about the $1000 and that I need a winter setup. Kind of stifles my creativity
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2016, 11:34 AM   #21
BeeDrill
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235i xDrive EBII

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyCanuck View Post
As I said in another thread, the wife knows about the $1000 and that I need a winter setup. Kind of stifles my creativity
Not if you point out that BMW charges out the ass for winter wheel and tire packages from the dealer. You could probably get a decent replica set with decent winter rubber for about the same price after taking a grand off of the BMW prices. So you could get both for the same money.

Last time I looked there was a tire shop that sold BMW replica rims with Michelin Xi3's for about $1300 or $1400 and when I was last at my BMW dealer I think the winter wheel and tire packages were $2300+, but my memory might be a little fuzzy on that.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2016, 04:13 PM   #22
Sleslie
Private
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Don't get the run flats. Wait the 2 months for the PSS tires. I'm in Canada as well and glad I got the PSS tires then just bought separate set for winter.

More importantly, I thought that the pss tires can only come with 461 wheels in Canada? I remember for my m235i, I couldn't get the pss unless I got the 461 wheels.

Is that not the case with the 230's as well?
That's correct. I decided to wait and get the PSS with the 461s. Worth the wait I think. I have to turn in my trade in beginning of October so the dealer is going to loan me a BMW until mine comes in.

I'm thinking about getting the Replika R163A wheels, 17". Is that what you got?
Appreciate 0