THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum Any hands on reviews of the M240 yet?

08-24-2016, 08:41 PM   #45
wtfbrah
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: None

worth the watch for the entertainment value

(but not really, it won't tell you anything you don't already know. kid talks about how the splitter doesn't need to be as big as an aston martin's splitter)
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2016, 08:52 PM   #46
B_Rice
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 6spd Estoril Blue M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by DF View Post
Only because their msrp is higher. Used m cars are not expensive. There are tons of them out there
Assuming both cars are in the same miles and condition, the m would still
more valuable not because the msrp price is higher, but there's actual demand for a older M car.
      08-25-2016, 08:55 PM   #47
DF
Major
Rep
Drives: F23

Quote:
Originally Posted by B_Rice View Post
Assuming both cars are in the same miles and condition, the m would still
more valuable not because the msrp price is higher, but there's actual demand for a older M car.
Only if it's very old and in great condition. Used m cars are plentiful
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2016, 09:10 PM   #48
B_Rice
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 6spd Estoril Blue M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by DF View Post
Only if it's very old and in great condition. Used m cars are plentiful
We weren't talking about the availability of M car's, just their deprecation curve.

A 04 m3 kbbs around 13k and a 04 330ci kbbs around 5k in similar mileage and condition. The m3 is worth a bit over double the worth of a the 330.
      08-26-2016, 12:33 AM   #49
DF
Major
Rep

Quote:
We weren't talking about the availability of M car's, just their deprecation curve.

A 04 m3 kbbs around 13k and a 04 330ci kbbs around 5k in similar mileage and condition. The m3 is worth a bit over double the worth of a the 330.
Yes they are worth more than a run of the mill three series. But "valuable" to me meant collectible or highly valued. Do they retain value better than a standard three? Yes. Are they valuable cars? No
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2016, 02:55 PM   #50
AlpsRider
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition, LBB, 6MT

Quote:

So the price difference is 8k, what was the original new price difference?
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2016, 03:00 PM   #51
DF
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlpsRider View Post
So the price difference is 8k, what was the original new price difference?
10-12k
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2016, 04:09 PM   #52
wtfbrah
First Lieutenant
Rep

First you said this:

Quote:
I guarantee that the M2 will keep it's value.
Then you said that you're talking about their depreciation curve, not their actual value:

Quote:
Now it's been shown that the price difference between the two cars (3 series and M3) you mentioned actually SHRINKS over time, meaning the M3 loses more value.

So can we get back to the topic at hand? The difference in depreciation is negligible at best, and isn't really a major concern for most people anyways. If one preferred the ride of the M240 over the M2, would buying the M2 so that it "depreciates less" really be the smart move for that person's life? No, it would not. You should buy the car you WANT, not the car that will hold it's value better. By buying a 50k+ BMW you have already clearly departed from the "economical" choice in terms of a car purchase.

The topic of this thread was hands-on reviews of the M240.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2016, 11:23 PM   #53
rainfall
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: A

Olá!

Don't make the choice M2 x M240i based on the badge or status (well, do it if that matters to you). Don't fall into the "inferiority complex". M240i is NOT a proper M car and you have to be ok with that. Just don't do like this dude I saw on the street: he has an E92 335i and put a giant M badge on the back.

If you don't need the extra performance, stick with the M240i which is already a beast.

If you're gonna spend 8k+ in mods and you do care about the performance, just take the M2 instead.

BMW doesn't make lower end cars for "second-prize winners". It's for people who don't need the extra horses (well... let's forget for a moment that the 320i exists lol).

Last edited by rainfall; 08-27-2016 at 11:45 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2016, 11:52 PM   #54
wtfbrah
First Lieutenant
Rep

I disagree about the mods in a way. I plan on doing some light modding, mostly cosmetic though - but in the end, the M240 still gives you one major advantage - the "comfort" softer suspension.

So if you took an M240 and modded it with 8k of mods and made it faster, you'd also still have that advantage.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2016, 02:53 PM   #55
Blue2
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2024 M240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainfall View Post
Olá!

Don't make the choice M2 x M240i based on the badge or status (well, do it if that matters to you). Don't fall into the "inferiority complex". M240i is NOT a proper M car and you have to be ok with that. Just don't do like this dude I saw on the street: he has an E92 335i and put a giant M badge on the back.

If you don't need the extra performance, stick with the M240i which is already a beast.

If you're gonna spend 8k+ in mods and you do care about the performance, just take the M2 instead.

BMW doesn't make lower end cars for "second-prize winners". It's for people who don't need the extra horses (well... let's forget for a moment that the 320i exists lol).
I agree that it's not a true M car. However, while the M235i (and M240i) may not be true M cars, their performance on the track is within the margin of error of many M cars.

Check out Car and Driver's list of lap times around Virginia International Raceway: http://www.caranddriver.com/features...d-more-feature

M235i: 3:07.2

2006 M6: Slower than the M235i at 3:10.

2009 M3: The M3 came in just 1.9 seconds faster than the M235i at 3:05.4

Of course the 2015 M4 is an absolute beast and clocks in at 3:00.7.

The real question will be what the M2 runs on this course. I'm sure it'll be very close to the M4 time. Nevertheless, the M235i boasts track performance right in M car territory -- and now in M240i form it's got a few more horsepower and 37 more ft/lbs or torque in a very good power band.

Last edited by Blue2; 08-28-2016 at 03:09 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2016, 10:21 AM   #56
BimmerMat135
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: E82M/S213 E450 A/T

I've never drove the M2 or the 240i but I've been facing the same problem when I was shopping for my 1M. I bought the M car because I wanted the top of the line. 5 years later i can say it has been the best decision I could have take. That said the M2 will never have the same resale value than the 1M and the M240i is much closer performancewise to the M2 that the 135i was to the 1m. On the day to day basis I'm pretty sure the M240i will be easier to deal with higher ground clearance so you don't beat the hell out of the bottom of the bumper, softer ride mean better confort and much less rattle on the long term. The part are less expensive on regular car so does the maintenance. Yes you don't have LSD but on canyon road we don't push the car hard enough to need it. So if you plan to visit a race track often go with the M2 if not i would go with the M240i it should be more than sufficient for public roads.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2016, 11:51 AM   #57
wtfbrah
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BimmerMat135 View Post
I've never drove the M2 or the 240i but I've been facing the same problem when I was shopping for my 1M. I bought the M car because I wanted the top of the line. 5 years later i can say it has been the best decision I could have take. That said the M2 will never have the same resale value than the 1M and the M240i is much closer performancewise to the M2 that the 135i was to the 1m. On the day to day basis I'm pretty sure the M240i will be easier to deal with higher ground clearance so you don't beat the hell out of the bottom of the bumper, softer ride mean better confort and much less rattle on the long term. The part are less expensive on regular car so does the maintenance. Yes you don't have LSD but on canyon road we don't push the car hard enough to need it. So if you plan to visit a race track often go with the M2 if not i would go with the M240i it should be more than sufficient for public roads.
LSD can also be installed after the fact.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2016, 04:04 PM   #58
Viffermike
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 black-n-blue 718 Cayman

Quote:
Originally Posted by wtfbrah View Post
LSD can also be installed after the fact.
Only by a dealer, which would make it significantly more expensive than the former port-installed option that was killed this past April.

And the price-vs. value gap between M240i and M2 gets even smaller ...
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2016, 05:12 PM   #59
Dylan86
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: F15d msport, F22 m235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viffermike View Post
Only by a dealer, which would make it significantly more expensive than the former port-installed option that was killed this past April.

You're right, it does close the gap at $3k installed with BMW, especially if you go with a loaded 240i vice base model with LSD add on.

LSD's can be installed by anyone, you just won't get support if you run into issues in the warranty/repair category. Nor should you expect to get support after installing aftermarket parts. The OEM unit is nice because it's a complete unit swap, super easy for any mechanic IMO.

I have a friend who installed a Wavetrac LSD in his m235i by an indy shop and has had great success with it. I think, all in he paid about $2300? installed (Canadian). Which is super reasonable in comparison to the M Performance LSD unit. I get it , the OEM stuff is tried/true, and will probably aid in resale, but performance wise it's the same shit.

If I had a non LSD equipped car, I'd go with a Wavetrac unit any day of the week, great product
      08-30-2016, 06:19 PM   #60
wtfbrah
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viffermike View Post

But once again, they're fundamentally different cars. A street car that's supposed to be a comfortable daily driver versus a track car that's supposed to be fast. It just so happens that both of them are pretty damn good at the other car's intended purpose as well. The M2 is a good road car and the M240i is a good track car. The M2 is just not AS GOOD of a daily driver when it comes to comfort, and the M240i is not AS GOOD of a track car when it comes to speed, handling, and cornering.

So when you get an M240i and put an LSD in it, in my eyes I'm still not comparing it to an M2. Because the M2's lack of adaptive suspension makes it automatically worse for daily driving. When you put that LSD in your M240i you're just making it a safer, better handling, "faster" through corners" more viable track car - without losing the comfort advantage.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2016, 07:05 PM   #61
Dylan86
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: F15d msport, F22 m235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by wtfbrah View Post
But once again, they're fundamentally different cars. A street car that's supposed to be a comfortable daily driver versus a track car that's supposed to be fast. It just so happens that both of them are pretty damn good at the other car's intended purpose as well. The M2 is a good road car and the M240i is a good track car. The M2 is just not AS GOOD of a daily driver when it comes to comfort, and the M240i is not AS GOOD of a track car when it comes to speed, handling, and cornering.

So when you get an M240i and put an LSD in it, in my eyes I'm still not comparing it to an M2. Because the M2's lack of adaptive suspension makes it automatically worse for daily driving. When you put that LSD in your M240i you're just making it a safer, better handling, "faster" through corners" more viable track car - without losing the comfort advantage.
You're on the right track, now. In a very subjective topic, I feel this is the best way to approach both cars. It's tough though, this seems to be the only "branded" M***i model, so there's less to compare to out there. It's an easy choice between a 335, or M3. Since there's no M335i, I'd say they've left the M model in a fair playing field. The 2 series is so close together in the higher trims, it makes it hard to justify not going "top-of-the-line". But that doesn't mean you're getting the best car, that's all subjective. To you, an M240i may be a better car than an M2, for your intended use, so that's the better car.

There are many track guys in 2 series cars that will probably lay it down on an M2, just saying. The car is one thing, the driver is the other. Most guys I've met with brand spanking new M cars are too fragile and scared to push them to their limits as the testers do. They get paced by NA Integra's and Mini's all day long. But, those stats, brah?
      08-30-2016, 07:27 PM   #62
Luftwaffe1O1
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M235i, 2000 Z3

It really comes down to personal preference, as with many here, you will get their perspective on what they would prefer given the choice.

If price, and availability were not a problem I would take the M2 every time. There is more to an M car than just horsepower figures, and aero. The overall feel and behavior of the car is quite a bit different from its sister car. Getting an M240 or M235i to feel close to an M2 will probably cost you more down the line rather than just getting the M2 to begin with.

Having said that however, if having that raw feel in the car is not that hugely important to you, and you prefer the seat of your pants acceleration feel (especially with mods), than the 240 is probably a better option. There isn't really a right or wrong here, it all comes down to what you want. Tastes and uses of these cars vary. The 240 will be more comfortable in daily driving, and a couple of mods and you will be beating most things in your daily stoplight encounters.

My lease is up in april and I am debating whether to buyout my car, get a 240, and depending on finances maybe even get an M2? But it really depends on a few factors. All things going well, M2 is my top choice, but I have also been leaning towards just buying out my 235 and modding it a bit. The 240 is kind of in third place unless I could get a really smoking deal on one or something, but this is a bit of a different situation than yours obviously. Drive both, and really think about what you want vs don't want. For most people, the M2 is actually overkill and only really serves as a badge, unless you really covet that feel of an M car, and plan on tracking it as well. And its not like the 235 and 240 are slouches... these are still all great cars in every aspect. No matter what you decide you end up with a pretty badass car... Not a bad choice to be mulling over by any stretch hehee
      09-01-2016, 10:36 AM   #63
E-Brake_85
Registered
Rep
Drives: F30

Here you go kids..
Appreciate 3
AlpsRider2865.00
Sportstick4650.00
      09-01-2016, 12:58 PM   #64
MattTheCarNut
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 G05

^ There is no need for that to be 43 minutes long. LOL
      09-01-2016, 12:59 PM   #65
AlpsRider
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition, LBB, 6MT

Clearly the M2 owner is absolutely in love with his M2, fair enough, I'd be the same way. I sensed that his buddy really liked the M240 for value and an all around car but he was a bit overshadowed by the M2 guys enthusiasm. Again, I'd be the same way

The performance of the M240 surprised me, I would have thought that the M2 would be eating the M240 for lunch. It just goes to show that drama is a big part of the driving experience. The stiffer suspension, more abrupt shifts and growling exhaust fooled them into thinking the M2 was faster.

I makes me want to dramatize my M235 a bit. The boy racer part of me wants the flared fenders and growling exhaust of the M2 and the "not wanting to look like mid-life crisis" part of me says I'm fine with the M235 as a daily driver.
Appreciate 1
      09-01-2016, 01:12 PM   #66
InControl
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '13 328i coupe

The difference would be obvious around twisty tracks even with an lsd equipped m240. Both are good values, designed for different applications. Sport lux vs sport track. Whats your preference. For most the m240 is more appealing.
Appreciate 0