THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum Any interests in pre cut vinyl wraps?

08-17-2016, 12:12 PM   #1
Don N.
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW

Any interests in pre cut vinyl wraps?

Thinking about possibly offering pre cut vinyl pieces to make it easier for those who are not local or just simply want to go the DIY route. I will probably try to do smaller/simpler pieces first, then move onto possibly bigger items.

However, I am trying to get an idea of what you guys would be most interested in having pre cut pieces made for.

Not every thing will be practical to do with pre cut pieces, but throw out some ideas/suggestions/thoughts/etc.

-Don
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2016, 12:20 PM   #2
Sportstick
Major General
Rep
Drives: '15 228i and '24 X3 sDrive30i

Long, narrow pieces to make the bright side window surround black?
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2016, 03:42 PM   #3
Don N.
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportstick View Post
Long, narrow pieces to make the bright side window surround black?
I can make straight long narrow pieces. However, you'd probably want pieces that contour to the upper window trim as well correct?
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2016, 05:41 PM   #4
Sportstick
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don N. View Post
I can make straight long narrow pieces. However, you'd probably want pieces that contour to the upper window trim as well correct?
Yes. I think the max number of pieces (per side) that would make a kit would be 4. One piece starting on the bright trim at the base of the A-pillar and running up over the door glass. There is a cut line in the trim, where you could also spilt the vinyl. The next piece runs from that cut line down and around the rear side window, including the Hoffmeister Kink. The third piece is belt line trim, under the rear window. The fourth piece is the continuation of the belt line trim, along the door.

This might be a challenge to layout to maximize your vinyl, and it would need precise cutting, but I have the feeling that you might get quite a few takers. I would assume a 16-piece kit, so there's a backup for each first one we wreck trying it for the first time.
2015 228i 6MT/Track Handling/Tech/Cold/Premium/Lighting/Driver Assistance/KCDesign Strut Brace/M2 LCAs/Rogue SSK/BBS SR/PS4S/ER Chargepipe/AA Intercooler/Dinan Shockware/MPerformance Spoiler/Black Grilles/Xpel Ultimate PPF & Prime XR+ Tint/Adam's Ceramic/no CDV
2024 X3 sDrive30i/MSport/Premium/Dynamic Handling/Shadowline/Parking/Xpel Prime XR Plus/Weathertech Cargo Liner

Last edited by Sportstick; 08-17-2016 at 07:23 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2016, 06:54 PM   #5
wtfbrah
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: None

Not to jack this thread but how good and durable are professionally applied vinyl wraps, both exterior and interior? I don't really like the trim options in the M240i and would prefer a matte black or matte grey trim, or maybe a dark matte red.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2016, 10:50 AM   #6
Don N.
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Yes. I think the max number of pieces (per side) that would make a kit would be 4. One piece starting on the bright trim at the base of the A-pillar and running up over the door glass. There is a cut line in the trim, where you could also spilt the vinyl. The next piece runs from that cut line down and around the rear side window, including the Hoffmeister Kink. The third piece is belt line trim, under the rear window. The fourth piece is the continuation of the belt line trim, along the door.

This might be a challenge to layout to maximize your vinyl, and it would need precise cutting, but I have the feeling that you might get quite a few takers. I would assume a 16-piece kit, so there's a backup for each first one we wreck trying it for the first time.
Cool. I'll consider it. Although, I am sure most would rather pay the cost/price of a 4 piece kit, instead of a 16 piece kit, and then purchase another kit if necessary instead of buying so many pieces up front, haha.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2016, 10:51 AM   #7
Don N.
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by wtfbrah View Post
Not to jack this thread but how good and durable are professionally applied vinyl wraps, both exterior and interior? I don't really like the trim options in the M240i and would prefer a matte black or matte grey trim, or maybe a dark matte red.
It is very durable. Vinyl wrapping cars have been around for such a long time now that the technology used for them has advanced quite a bit. You'll be fine getting vinyl work done on your car, for the most part.

-Don
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2016, 11:01 AM   #8
Sportstick
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Cool. I'll consider it. Although, I am sure most would rather pay the cost/price of a 4 piece kit, instead of a 16 piece kit, and then purchase another kit if necessary instead of buying so many pieces up front, haha.
I get your point, but that would be 8 to cover both sides unless you can reduce the number needed per side?
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2016, 11:02 AM   #9
Don N.
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
I get your point, but that would be 8 to cover both sides unless you can reduce the number needed per side?
Yea, it'd most likely be 8 pieces for both sides.

-Don
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2016, 02:27 PM   #10
Kidu
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235i EBII, RWD, 6spd

carbon fiber vinyl for the interior.... I wish I could my interioir in glossy CF....
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2016, 12:21 PM   #11
Don N.
Brigadier General
Rep

I'll take a look into making some pre cut pieces for the interior. Although, with the way the design of the interior and the shape of the pieces, it may not be the most practical pieces to make/have pre cut pieces for.

-Don
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2016, 01:35 PM   #12
BEM-S4
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Dinan M235, Dinan Sport Wagon

Quote:
I'll take a look into making some pre cut pieces for the interior. Although, with the way the design of the interior and the shape of the pieces, it may not be the most practical pieces to make/have pre cut pieces for.

-Don
You may do better if you don't cut a full set from a single sheet. Said another way, you could probably have minimal waste if you lined up 6 left door trims in a row on a single sheet than trying to do everything on a single sheet, if that makes sense.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2016, 12:28 PM   #13
Don N.
Brigadier General
Rep

Actually, the issue is not how the pieces lay out to be cut on the sheet of vinyl. However, having flat pre cut pieces work with something that's a contoured / 3D shape as the interior pieces.

-Don
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2016, 11:26 AM   #14
Don N.
Brigadier General
Rep

Still open to ideas that you guys may have.

I think what most people would want are pre cut pieces for the window trim, from the feedback that I have gotten so far.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2016, 01:35 PM   #15
Sportstick
Major General
Rep

Quote:

I think what most people would want are pre cut pieces for the window trim, from the feedback that I have gotten so far.
If you mean applying black over the bright side window surround, yes! But, they seem like they will need to be large pieces to make them apply and line up correctly!
2015 228i 6MT/Track Handling/Tech/Cold/Premium/Lighting/Driver Assistance/KCDesign Strut Brace/M2 LCAs/Rogue SSK/BBS SR/PS4S/ER Chargepipe/AA Intercooler/Dinan Shockware/MPerformance Spoiler/Black Grilles/Xpel Ultimate PPF & Prime XR+ Tint/Adam's Ceramic/no CDV
2024 X3 sDrive30i/MSport/Premium/Dynamic Handling/Shadowline/Parking/Xpel Prime XR Plus/Weathertech Cargo Liner
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2016, 07:10 PM   #16
simsimma777
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2019 M850i coupe

Quote:

The roof, side rails, and maybe even shark fin. I bet you'd sell a ton of those.

And for those who tint, maybe pre-cut strips for the dot matrix.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2016, 09:48 PM   #17
BentZero
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 6MT Mineral White M235i

I'd be interested in the roof including the channels, shark fin (although that looks difficult) and maybe a cf wrap for the spoiler. I prefer the lower profile of the stock spoiler vs the M performance spoiler, but I've yet to see a cf version of the stock spoiler.

6MT Mineral White on black M235i coupe
Build thread
Appreciate 0