THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum M235 steering???

06-14-2013, 12:47 PM   #23
stampchez
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2013 135is

The E82 steering feels unbelievably good after spending 15 months in an F30. EPS doesn't have to be as bad as it is in the F30.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2013, 07:07 PM   #24
RPM90
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i M-sport AT

Quote:
Originally Posted by stampchez View Post
The E82 steering feels unbelievably good after spending 15 months in an F30. EPS doesn't have to be as bad as it is in the F30.
Quite true.

I just had a new X28i AT for a loaner.
As soon as I turned the wheel to leave the parking lot it felt a good bit better than my F30.

Not only is it firmer in terms of heft to turn, but on center felt nicer, and there is just a better all around tighter feel to the steering, and a feel for what the tires and front end are doing.

I was actually very surprised at how nice to drive the X28i is.
It too has the ZF 8spd AT, but it felt tighter and smoother than the
ZF sport AT in my 335i Msport, when in manual and sport mode.
Full auto mode feels great in my 335i and in the Z28i, but manual mode is tighter and smoother in the X28i. So much for "M sport".
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2013, 07:29 PM   #25
pruettfan
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2, LBB, DCT, Exec

I suspect that BMW is already working hard to address this issue so just because there is issues with the current F30 I don't know that it is written in stone that there will be similar issues with the F22 cars. I really hope they fix it. I don't think that EPS in of itself is a bad thing, certainly aviation has been using components similar with great results for many years so it is just a matter of getting it right. It is disappointing to see BMW stumble a bit in this area but a stumble for BMW is so unusual it gets much more attention than other companies failures
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2013, 02:25 PM   #26
Propagator
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 328i LMB 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPM90 View Post
Quite true.

I just had a new X28i AT for a loaner.
As soon as I turned the wheel to leave the parking lot it felt a good bit better than my F30.

Not only is it firmer in terms of heft to turn, but on center felt nicer, and there is just a better all around tighter feel to the steering, and a feel for what the tires and front end are doing.

I was actually very surprised at how nice to drive the X28i is.
It too has the ZF 8spd AT, but it felt tighter and smoother than the
ZF sport AT in my 335i Msport, when in manual and sport mode.
Full auto mode feels great in my 335i and in the Z28i, but manual mode is tighter and smoother in the X28i. So much for "M sport".

Hmmm, by X28i, which model are you referring to?
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2013, 04:31 PM   #27
Mahzari
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_01 View Post
The E82 135i uses hydraulic power rack, but the steering feel suffers because of the very soft suspension bushings. Its not too hard to swap to M3 front arms and it makes a massive difference to the steering feel. Unfortunately while BMW are selling cars with run-flat tires and soft suspension bushings, the steering feel will always be compromised.
Bingo. My brother had an E82 135i with M3 front suspension and KW V1 coilovers. The steering feel and turn in was absolutely ridiculous. The only problem was that with such a response steering, the car would tram line more than stock on the freeway or on steeply sloped roads. But if you want good steering feel you need:

-Hydraulic steering
-Stiff bushings
-Well-damped, quick responding suspension (notice I didn't say stiff)

With that being said, I think the M235i and the Competition Package M5/M6 will have vastly better steering than the F20/F30 due to the feedback from customers, forums, and reviewers. At least I hope so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Propagator View Post
I'm guessing X3 28i as I recently also had an X3 28i as a loaner.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2013, 07:58 PM   #28
RPM90
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i M-sport AT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Propagator View Post
Sorry.
It's the X1 small SUV.

Also, I didn't intend to say that X1 has EPS and it feels better.
From my understanding the X1 with RWD will have EPS, but the X1 AWD will retain the hydraulic steering, because BMW couldn't package the AWD with EPS.
It's based on the 1 series chassis with some 3 series as well.
The interior is very much like my '09 135i, nice, but very basic.
But right for it's price point.

The X1 loaner I had was an X-drive, so it had hydraulic steering, and it was nice to get that "feeling" again.
It's actually a quite nice to drive little SUV. It doesn't have the rolley poley top heavy feel. I was quite surprised at how tight everything felt. Very BMW like.
Appreciate 0