THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum VC replacement just done but oil smell?

03-21-2024, 01:32 PM   #1
Ericwj7
'14 M235I
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M235i

VC replacement just done but oil smell?

I just did my VC with a new OE VC and gaskets. I have only driven it 40m since but the smell of burning oil was still very present at the end of my first drive.

Did anyone have the same issue and it's just residual oil that needs to be burned off? I don't see any leaks but I would love input as it was leaking on the back edge down on the down pipe etc. so I didn't get a chance to clean that part. I will need a mirror and have to remove all the sound and engine cover to check but I thought I'd ask.

Thanks IA. That synthetic oil really seems to take its time?
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2024, 09:57 AM   #2
zombem235
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 m235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ericwj7 View Post
I just did my VC with a new OE VC and gaskets. I have only driven it 40m since but the smell of burning oil was still very present at the end of my first drive.

Did anyone have the same issue and it's just residual oil that needs to be burned off? I don't see any leaks but I would love input as it was leaking on the back edge down on the down pipe etc. so I didn't get a chance to clean that part. I will need a mirror and have to remove all the sound and engine cover to check but I thought I'd ask.

Thanks IA. That synthetic oil really seems to take its time?
Kust replaced the old cover with aluminum. Pita. But i feel ya. During disassembly there was decent amount of oil all over the side of the motor and exhaust. Havnt driven it much but i do still see sum oil. I got a can of degreaser and will keep hosing it off in hopes that it is all OLD oil. Ill keep my post updated and we will trade ideas. Lol
Appreciate 1
      03-22-2024, 11:47 AM   #3
Ericwj7
'14 M235I
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by zombem235 View Post
Kust replaced the old cover with aluminum. Pita. But i feel ya. During disassembly there was decent amount of oil all over the side of the motor and exhaust. Havnt driven it much but i do still see sum oil. I got a can of degreaser and will keep hosing it off in hopes that it is all OLD oil. Ill keep my post updated and we will trade ideas. Lol
Lol, Mine didn't leak too much but it was in the back so on the down-pipe, exhaust etc, it's getting better after 2 days of driving now so I will inspect it with a mirror in the back but think I am good. I used a new OE plastic, but I feel you on the plastic parts as I'm old and remember those days My old VC with 65K and 12 years old looked pretty good tho. no cracks etc. The gasket had shrunk pretty badly and I believe BMW could find a better gasket by now.
Appreciate 0