THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum IBS cable causing stability control issue

11-05-2020, 12:53 PM   #1
Alexgcook
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 228i xDrive Coupe

IBS cable causing stability control issue

I had a warning on the dashboard go off for the chassis stabilization system. Car started acting a little funny, especially at low speed parking maneuvers (lunging while turning, similar to old school 4 whee drive systems). Then also notice Nav system was lagging and a check engine light came on.

Dealer looked at, first they reset the computer. Drove it for a week and it came back. Now they're quoting me $1,200 to replace the IBS cable and battery.

Question for the group: does this sound right? And when the IBS goes, do you always have to replace the battery?

Thanks,

Alex
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2020, 01:37 PM   #2
Maynard
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 228iX & M2C

I assume it is out of warranty or they'd be covering the cable. If it was me I'd seek out an indie shop that did BMW's and get a second opinion. The battery and IBS is a potential for all kinds of random error codes, but it kind of sounds like they are just taking pot shots to try to fix things, and that's an expensive trial and error. In general the issues I've read about are mostly that the battery has gone soft and needs replacing, not the IBS system itself. I think you can check battery status fairly simply, and it is the IBS nonsense that is so complicated.
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2020, 02:09 PM   #3
Alexgcook
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 228i xDrive Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maynard View Post
I assume it is out of warranty or they'd be covering the cable. If it was me I'd seek out an indie shop that did BMW's and get a second opinion. The battery and IBS is a potential for all kinds of random error codes, but it kind of sounds like they are just taking pot shots to try to fix things, and that's an expensive trial and error. In general the issues I've read about are mostly that the battery has gone soft and needs replacing, not the IBS system itself. I think you can check battery status fairly simply, and it is the IBS nonsense that is so complicated.
Yeah unfortunately it's in it's CPO warranty and they're telling me this isn't covered, which seems lame to me. I understand not covering a battery (sort of), but a cable/management system seems like it should be in scope.
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2020, 05:32 PM   #4
cristo
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M240i Convertible

Part is $140-$260 depending on source,
battery should be $150-$250 and labor
including diagnosis, coding new battery
should realistically be 2 hours or less.
Add a dealer markup of $400 to $650
and indeed you’re up to $1200.
Appreciate 0