THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum Accident

10-16-2015, 07:23 PM   #23
DeaconBlues
Ambassador
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 228i M Sport

Resurrected!

A happy postscript to my original post from June:

After four months and $17,000 in repairs -- my 2 is back home!

As long as the wait was, it was well worth it. The BMW-certified collision shop did a phenomenal job. It looks, and most importantly drives, like a new car. They rebuilt it from the B-pillar rearward. I figured it would be a 2 or at worst 3 month repair job, but it stretched to 4 -- delayed parts from Germany, some unforeseen tech/code issues, and so on. They didn't want to give it back to me until it was fully repaired to factory specs, and as painful as the wait was, they made good on that promise... it really turned out well. I was very impressed with the head mechanic and the manager -- we chatted for 45 minutes and I had a much better understanding of how complicated their work is.

I was a little (make that a LOT) nervous driving it home in rush hour traffic tonight, especially when some idiot in a Honda cut me off, but made it without incident ... had the windows down, sunroof open, and a big grin on my face.

Here are the after and before photos. Getting up early for a spirited drive tomorrow!
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      10-17-2015, 04:28 AM   #24
moldcad
Major
Poland
Rep
Drives: M235i

I'm glad you went away unhurt! Like others, I'm also about to buy 4 cutter/hammers for myself and my loved ones; I'm just debating which will be better - the one depicted above, or a small one that can be used attached to your fob; what do you think?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B...=sr_1_2&sr=8-2
Attached Images

my RWD pirate & long-distance cruiser: 2015 M235i AT8, LSD
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2015, 06:17 AM   #25
Zooks527
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235xi / 2005 Tacoma 4x4

Quote:
Originally Posted by moldcad View Post
I'm glad you went away unhurt! Like others, I'm also about to buy 4 cutter/hammers for myself and my loved ones; I'm just debating which will be better - the one depicted above, or a small one that can be used attached to your fob; what do you think?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B...=sr_1_2&sr=8-2
Go with the hammer on a mount, place the mount on the underside of your center armrest console, where it can be reached easily by both front seat passengers, and by the rear if the person knows it's there.

You don't want it on your fob if you have CA. The fob will either be in your pocket (under the jammed belt) or somewhere unknown in the cabin if you had it sitting in the cup holders.

Prior 40 years: 67 BelAir wagon / 68 LeMans Tempest / 70 Mustang Mach 1 / 72 El Dorado / 78 Corvette / 81 Subaru GL wagon 4WD / 83 s10 Blazer 4x4 / 85 Bronco 4x4 / 96 Bronco 4x4 / 04 Passat 4mo / 09 BMW 335xi
Appreciate 1
      10-17-2015, 06:39 AM   #26
moldcad
Major
Poland
Rep
Drives: M235i

You're probably right with regards to the one for myself (I don't CA, but still - the fob may be difficult to locate in a state of panic etc.) But with the other 3 (for my wife, daughter and sister) the situation is different in that their cars do have a key socket; I've been thinking: in state of emergency like this, it's a natural reflexive thing to first reach for the key and turn it in order to cut the ignition - having the tool attached to the key makes it immediately available. Of course this is just my humble opinion, so I'm still open to other suggestion about the choice....
my RWD pirate & long-distance cruiser: 2015 M235i AT8, LSD
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2015, 08:10 AM   #27
bimmerfile
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X2 F39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zooks527 View Post
Go with the hammer on a mount, place the mount on the underside of your center armrest console, where it can be reached easily by both front seat passengers, and by the rear if the person knows it's there.

You don't want it on your fob if you have CA. The fob will either be in your pocket (under the jammed belt) or somewhere unknown in the cabin if you had it sitting in the cup holders.
+1
Appreciate 0