THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum headlight aim adjustment?

08-29-2021, 05:47 PM   #1
albertw
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: M240i

headlight aim adjustment?

I hit a forest rat at low speed. The bumper cover has several cracks and should be replaced, a minor bend in the leading edge of the hood probably can be straightened and one grill is broken. The headlight on that side took a hit but is not cracked and everything still works (adaptive LED). However, on low beam aimed at a wall 15 yards away that side is about a foot lower than the undamaged side. (The separation of the beams is the same as the distance between the lights, so I assume only the vertical aim was affected.)

I can't see any way to adjust the aim of the headlights. Is a mechanism provided or is it internal? If it's the latter then the mounting bracket likely is bent and the body shop will need to address that.

Another question: While turning the wheel to make sure the headlight turns correctly, I noticed that on the left (undamaged side) the light moves to the right along with the steering wheel but doesn't move left. However, the right side moves both ways. Is that normal for the left (driver's side) light (maybe something about not blinding oncoming drivers)? If it's not normal I should get it into the dealer before starting the repairs to show them it is on the side not hit by the deer and should be fixed under warranty.
      08-29-2021, 08:11 PM   #2
pikcachu
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i (F22 Red angel)

Quote:
Originally Posted by albertw View Post
I hit a forest rat at low speed. The bumper cover has several cracks and should be replaced, a minor bend in the leading edge of the hood probably can be straightened and one grill is broken. The headlight on that side took a hit but is not cracked and everything still works (adaptive LED). However, on low beam aimed at a wall 15 yards away that side is about a foot lower than the undamaged side. (The separation of the beams is the same as the distance between the lights, so I assume only the vertical aim was affected.)

I can't see any way to adjust the aim of the headlights. Is a mechanism provided or is it internal? If it's the latter then the mounting bracket likely is bent and the body shop will need to address that.

Another question: While turning the wheel to make sure the headlight turns correctly, I noticed that on the left (undamaged side) the light moves to the right along with the steering wheel but doesn't move left. However, the right side moves both ways. Is that normal for the left (driver's side) light (maybe something about not blinding oncoming drivers)? If it's not normal I should get it into the dealer before starting the repairs to show them it is on the side not hit by the deer and should be fixed under warranty.
There is a white screw on the top of the headlight ...one way lowers it... the other way rises it....

https://www.2addicts.com/forums/show...8&postcount=39
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2021, 10:00 PM   #3
albertw
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: M240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikcachu View Post
There is a white screw on the top of the headlight ...one way lowers it... the other way rises it....

https://www.2addicts.com/forums/show...8&postcount=39
Thanks! I did a search for "headlight aim adjustment" and that thread ("headlights aimed too low") did not show up on the first page. I need to remember to use google to search forums when the embedded search fails.

Still looking for an answer to whether the driver side headlight is supposed to move to the left when the steering wheel is turned to the left.