THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum Intake Air Temperature (B46/48)

08-12-2020, 01:21 PM   #1
alex_gprix
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW 230i M-Performance

Intake Air Temperature (B46/48)

Hey everyone, I am hoping that someone can share some insight on intake temperatures.

Long story short, before installing a controversial intake (unfortunately required in order to fit the BMS oil catch can). I decided to try out Bimmer Link to monitor my IAT before and after the install to decide if the BMS intake made a negative difference and thus I would try to retrofit the oil catch can and leave my stock air box.

MY QUESTION: Bimmer link seems to show two sensors;
1) "Intake air temp" (Measuring about 45C with 30C ambient)
2) "Intake air temp before throttle valve" (Measuring 80-90C)

My "before valve" temp is insanely high and I'm wondering if anyone can share some knowledge on the two sensors? I'm assuming the IAT is part of the MAF sensor, but what is this "before throttle valve"???

Thanks all!!
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2020, 01:44 PM   #2
msendit
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex_gprix View Post
My "before valve" temp is insanely high and I'm wondering if anyone can share some knowledge on the two sensors? I'm assuming the IAT is part of the MAF sensor, but what is this "before throttle valve"???
I think that's the charged air temp in the intake manifold -- after the turbo. Once you compress the air, it gets hotter.
At least that's what I always assumed for my B58, which has a similar sensor.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2020, 02:43 PM   #3
alex_gprix
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by msendit View Post
I think that's the charged air temp in the intake manifold -- after the turbo. Once you compress the air, it gets hotter.
At least that's what I always assumed for my B58, which has a similar sensor.
That’s sort of what I was thinking. However wouldn’t this sensor be after the intercooler? I’m not familiar enough with air temps, but 90C seems really hot if that’s the temp after flowing through the stock intercooler?
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2020, 03:37 PM   #4
PeanuKeeyes
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E34 | MX5

Quote:
That’s sort of what I was thinking. However wouldn’t this sensor be after the intercooler? I’m not familiar enough with air temps, but 90C seems really hot if that’s the temp after flowing through the stock intercooler?
That does seem hot for that.. but 90c is more or less the operating temp for the engine. Both the oil and coolant temps in my 228i read about 90c on average according to my obdII display. Assuming those are correct.
      08-12-2020, 03:41 PM   #5
msendit
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M240i

Quote:
The folks on the 3er forum claim it's in the charge pipe (so, before the intercooler), and that the IAT one is after (so, not part of the MAF).

To be fair, I haven't looked to closely myself which sensor is where. But I routinely see 100+C on track in one of the "air temps" my datalogger grabs.

https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1717248
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2020, 03:54 PM   #6
alex_gprix
Canada
Rep

Thanks mate!

I found this diagram in the B46 technical document. It looks like there is a sensor (#5, I believe the MAF) right after the filter, as well as (#7) at the throttle body.

It will be interesting to compare these temps after an intercooler upgrade!
Cheers!
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
msendit424.00
      08-14-2020, 08:38 AM   #7
MarcoZandrini
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M240i

Yes, since about 2004, BMW MAFs contain the IAT sensor. You can confirm this by removing the MAF connector and counting the pins. It should have at least 5 pins. Pre-2004 MAFs had 3 pins.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2020, 09:21 AM   #8
alex_gprix
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeanuKeeyes View Post
That does seem hot for that.. but 90c is more or less the operating temp for the engine. Both the oil and coolant temps in my 228i read about 90c on average according to my obdII display. Assuming those are correct.
Yeah, my first thoughts were that the intercooler would cool the air back down near the initial intake temps, but that is just my assumption with no real merit.

I've begun to notice that under turbo boost is when its reaching near 100C, then slowly cools back down to around 60-70 when I'm just coasting without any meaningful acceleration.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2020, 09:22 AM   #9
alex_gprix
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcoZandrini View Post
Yes, since about 2004, BMW MAFs contain the IAT sensor. You can confirm this by removing the MAF connector and counting the pins. It should have at least 5 pins. Pre-2004 MAFs had 3 pins.
Thank you for that info!
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2020, 02:26 PM   #10
MarcoZandrini
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M240i

Quote:
Thank you for that info!
You're welcome!