THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum M-Sport and Fog Lights?

03-30-2017, 09:41 AM   #1
crabu2
Captain
Rep
Drives: Truck and ...

M-Sport and Fog Lights?

Can someone please tell me why some 230i's with the M-Sport package have fog lights?

My dealer is telling me once M-Sport is added, the Fog lights disappear.. But I've seen some online that have fogs and I found one in NC that has them..

Here's the last 7 digits of it's VIN: V664318

I'd love to add M-Sport to my order for the M-Sport steering wheel, but I don't want to lose the fog light.

Thanks!
      03-30-2017, 10:12 AM   #2
kaputt
Captain
Rep
Drives: 128i 6MT - sold

You will have the fog lights unless you add the Track Handling Package. Getting the larger M Sport brakes as part of the THP deletes the fogs for better brake cooling.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2017, 01:53 PM   #3
Rayscott
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW 228ix

I have a 2016 228ix Msport with no THP and no fog lights. Has there been a change for 2017. I like them and wish I had them.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2017, 02:03 PM   #4
crabu2
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaputt View Post
You will have the fog lights unless you add the Track Handling Package. Getting the larger M Sport brakes as part of the THP deletes the fogs for better brake cooling.

Not true... I have the track package on my order, without M-Sport and it shows Fog Lights at n/c with it.

It makes no sense to say that THP brakes would delete the fog lights for extra cooling when they're not deleted without the M-Sport package.
      03-30-2017, 02:11 PM   #5
pz619
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: F87 M2C 6MT, Tesla 3

From what I understand for 2017:

M Sport + THP = No fogs
M Sport = Fogs (new for 17)
THP = Fogs
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2017, 02:17 PM   #6
crabu2
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pz619 View Post
From what I understand for 2017:

M Sport + THP = No fogs
Why are they doing this? Makes no sense to me...
      03-30-2017, 02:21 PM   #7
pz619
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: F87 M2C 6MT, Tesla 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by crabu2 View Post
Why are they doing this? Makes no sense to me...
I'm assuming so they can fit the larger brake ducts that goes on the M-sport bumpers. I haven't seen the fog light assembly for the M sport without THP, but I'm guessing the duct work could be flowing through the spot where the fog lights would normally be.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2017, 08:56 AM   #8
Rayscott
Major
Rep

Can fog lights be added to my 2016 by the dealer since they are now standard. I don't have the THP. Very strange but then it is a BMW.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2017, 09:18 AM   #9
crabu2
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayscott View Post
Can fog lights be added to my 2016 by the dealer since they are now standard. I don't have the THP. Very strange but then it is a BMW.
I stopped at my dealer yesterday about this... Seeing if M-Sport would come with fogs .... even with the THP.

The answer I got was, NO adding M-Sport will delete the fogs.. Best part was they had a 230xi vert with M-Sport ... and Bam... it had fogs. Even seeing it with their own eyes, they're saying it can't be done and was possibly a build error because the Fogs weren't even on the cars build sheet.

Ended up calling the BMW Genius last night.. He told me the same BS about how M-Sport deletes fog... Then I gave him a few website links to dealer cars.. He looked up the build sheets and said no fogs .. but now he's scratching his head because he's looking at the actual photos of these cars. He escalated the concern to someone else to try and get to the bottom.. Was told I should get an answer by this coming Wednesday.

Now here's what I'm confused about... The build sheets that BMW employees seem to have access to doesn't show fogs, but when plug the VIN into say... BMWVIN, it shows fogs. How can these websites have better/more accurate info than a build sheet coming from BMW's own system?
      03-31-2017, 05:43 PM   #10
Rayscott
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by crabu2 View Post
I stopped at my dealer yesterday about this... Seeing if M-Sport would come with fogs .... even with the THP.

The answer I got was, NO adding M-Sport will delete the fogs.. Best part was they had a 230xi vert with M-Sport ... and Bam... it had fogs. Even seeing it with their own eyes, they're saying it can't be done and was possibly a build error because the Fogs weren't even on the cars build sheet.

Ended up calling the BMW Genius last night.. He told me the same BS about how M-Sport deletes fog... Then I gave him a few website links to dealer cars.. He looked up the build sheets and said no fogs .. but now he's scratching his head because he's looking at the actual photos of these cars. He escalated the concern to someone else to try and get to the bottom.. Was told I should get an answer by this coming Wednesday.

Now here's what I'm confused about... The build sheets that BMW employees seem to have access to doesn't show fogs, but when plug the VIN into say... BMWVIN, it shows fogs. How can these websites have better/more accurate info than a build sheet coming from BMW's own system?
Like I said that's BMW. Typical BS when you pointed out the fogs on the 228vert. Build error.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2017, 07:02 PM   #11
Maynard
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 228iX & M2C

FWIW, I don't find the fogs to be especially effective or noteworthy. If you regularly drive in serious fog, you'll want to add your own specials, so otherwise they are more stylistic. I wouldn't base your decision just on these, if they can't get them on your build.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2017, 07:55 AM   #12
Rayscott
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maynard View Post
FWIW, I don't find the fogs to be especially effective or noteworthy. If you regularly drive in serious fog, you'll want to add your own specials, so otherwise they are more stylistic. I wouldn't base your decision just on these, if they can't get them on your build.
Good point, I installed fogs on my S2000 as they did not come with them. They were great fogs and looked nice.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2017, 11:45 AM   #13
SteveInfante
NewFinishColumbia/detailer
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 F31 xDrive

I have active fogs on my non M Sport 228.

Off+reverse = both on
Off+ left turn= left on
Off+ right turn = right on

This is why I would rather not lose the fogs when I do the M Sport front bumper. I've been trying to find the conversion dog housings for a LONG time.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2017, 01:34 PM   #14
Maynard
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 228iX & M2C

Oh, you mean the 'no, not a burnt bulb, my car is supposed to do that' conversation starter. But you are right, and reminding me of what is probably the best part of those - contributing some to the cornering lighting. Have you tried getting factory parts from foreign suppliers? They seem to be standard on many foreign market versions (from the pics, many overseas have these). Possibly could find a modder who has taken them off and has good used for sale. Might also be worth it to call the biggest local salvage yard and ask them if they can get foreign parts - auto salvage has gotten very organized and computerized lately, and they may have international access, or at least be able to get you part #s. I know there are Japanese and euro suppliers who cater to the resto crowd, but obviously a different market for newer parts on a 2 series.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2017, 09:44 PM   #15
crabu2
Captain
Rep

OK.... Here it is.. 230i Vert with M-Sport, THP and Fog Lights:

VIN: WBA2K9C52HV647252

I really need to figure this out... Because if it does some with Fogs, I need to get the M- Sport package added to my order.. I want that MP Steering wheel!

http://www.bmwofthewoodlands.com/new...ca45f275ce.htm

Bit hard to see, but you can see the M brakes.

Last edited by crabu2; 04-01-2017 at 10:23 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2017, 11:42 PM   #16
kaputt
Captain
Rep
Drives: 128i 6MT - sold

Wow that is interesting. For the longest time (with the 230i) it seemed like M Sport without THP came with fogs. And if you added THP it would delete the fogs.

But clearly that is no longer the case, unless this happens to be a one off assembly line mistake.

Funny that even BMWNA can't seem to give a correct answer.
Appreciate 0