THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum Ordering Process

05-30-2015, 01:12 AM   #1
_dmglce
Private
Rep
Drives: Range Rover

Ordering Process

Hi all,

I'm starting a build sometime this week on a 228 and wanted some feedback.
I know most dealers ask for a $1k deposit, but I have done a build with Mercedes last year with $0 deposit. Is BMW strict on the deposit aspect of the process? The reason I ask is because I've had negative experience with BMW a few years ago (putting a deposit to hold a car) I changed my mind and took forever to get the refund.

Second, which is best? To negotiate the sale price before or after the car is finalized?

Thanks in advance.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2015, 01:20 AM   #2
Rus.K
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 AW ZCP M3

Just depends on the dealer and demographically where you are. Is there a high demand for the 2 series? Like here in Utah, they never had any sitting on the lot so I was required to put down 2k for a deposit.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2015, 01:40 AM   #3
Dattebayo
Private
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 228i M-Sport

Why not just put the deposit on a credit card? If they don't give it back in a timely manner, just get the credit card company to get your money back due to company not providing product.

I would negotiate the price of the car before even setting foot in a dealership. It can all be done via email and just take one quote to another dealer asking them to beat the price and keep passing it around till it won't got down anymore. Then when the price is agreed upon, go in with a credit card for the deposit and have them order it.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2015, 01:55 PM   #4
_dmglce
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dattebayo View Post
Why not just put the deposit on a credit card? If they don't give it back in a timely manner, just get the credit card company to get your money back due to company not providing product.

I would negotiate the price of the car before even setting foot in a dealership. It can all be done via email and just take one quote to another dealer asking them to beat the price and keep passing it around till it won't got down anymore. Then when the price is agreed upon, go in with a credit card for the deposit and have them order it.
Didn't think of that, but thank you for the suggestion.

I spoke to the first dealer I visited about sale price on the build - they told me they don't know until it arrives.....please confirm that's inaccurate.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2015, 02:17 PM   #5
scottyn
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 228i M-sport THP

Quote:
Originally Posted by _demiglace View Post

I spoke to the first dealer I visited about sale price on the build - they told me they don't know until it arrives.....please confirm that's inaccurate.
that's definitely garbage. They "build" your car on their computer and it comes up with an MSRP (which includes everything except destination and handling charges). If you place an order before negotiating a price, you're sorta backed into a corner and have to take whatever price they want when it comes time to finance/lease
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2015, 02:35 PM   #6
Pyewacket69
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyn
Quote:
Originally Posted by _demiglace View Post

that's definitely garbage. They "build" your car on their computer and it comes up with an MSRP (which includes everything except destination and handling charges). If you place an order before negotiating a price, you're sorta backed into a corner and have to take whatever price they want when it comes time to finance/lease
Ditto...

The dealerships definitely know what their costs are going to be when they place an order.

Either there's a misunderstanding between the OP and the sales dude, or the dealership is crooked (at least, the sales dude is...).

I've special ordered dozens of cars in my 61 years, and the price was set before they ever got a dime of my deposit.

Now, if the OP is trading a vehicle, the dealership can rightfully tell him they can't set a firm price on the deal until they can actually take possession of the OP's trade-in. That's a different deal altogether. However, they can tell him the selling price of the ordered vehicle...
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2015, 03:18 PM   #7
_dmglce
Private
Rep

Thank you all for the clarification. I do plan to trade in my current lease - however, don't plan to introduce that until my build arrives. At this point, the sales guy is telling me they cannot negotiate the sale price...So I will go to a different dealer.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2015, 04:25 PM   #8
HarmOG
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW 228

I negotiated the price between 3 dealers before coming to a final agreement. Once we had a "verbal" agreement on price, they placed an order. Even after we had agreed on price, BMW offered a discount on options that I was still able to get applied to my price. I did put down a deposit, but it was fully refundable until we finalized at delivery.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2015, 05:32 PM   #9
Viffermike
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 black-n-blue 718 Cayman

Quote:
Originally Posted by _demiglace
Thank you all for the clarification. I do plan to trade in my current lease - however, don't plan to introduce that until my build arrives. At this point, the sales guy is telling me they cannot negotiate the sale price...So I will go to a different dealer.
Good strategy. A couple of other notes for you:

- The differential between MSRP and invoice pricing on 2-series (and most BMWs) is 9 percent. In other words, MSRP is a 9 percent markup from invoice for factory production - and that differential is high compared to many other makes. This does not count port options (the differential can be higher or lower) or the $950 destination charge. Use that to help you negotiate. The 'sweet spot' for an acceptable deal is between 1.5 and 3 percent over invoice.

- A deposit can be an incentive for the dealer to mark your build as priority one, which will speed up the process by a few days. (Normal is priority three, which just represents an allocation.) Ask for this when you agree to the deposit. My dealer didn't require a deposit, but I live in a fairly high-demand area and I piggybacked on an allocation already in the system, so priority one wouldn't have done me much good.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2015, 05:56 PM   #10
caycep
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 228i

Garage List
2015 BMW 228i  [0.00]
i didn't do a deposit, got the car in a smidge over 2 months
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2015, 06:04 PM   #11
opfreak
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Rabbit

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyn View Post
It depends, if OP was looking for a 2016, the guides/prices didn't come out until yesterday.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2015, 06:20 PM   #12
_dmglce
Private
Rep

^ Great to know!

My build has about ~$10k options add on, would that be something I can use to negotiate as well?
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2015, 07:17 PM   #13
scottyn
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 228i M-sport THP

Quote:
Originally Posted by opfreak View Post
It depends, if OP was looking for a 2016, the guides/prices didn't come out until yesterday.
Fair enough. I stick by my advice of negotiating a price before placing an order though...
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2015, 07:30 PM   #14
angelbones
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: V.O. 228i

Quote:
Originally Posted by opfreak View Post
Unless you order a 2015 (and I think you only have a week or two left), now is not a good time to order. In fact, if you're ordering a 2016, it's probably best to wait to order no earlier than September, and preferably October. That gives you a delivery date of November and December and the dealers are much more likely to deal. Last year I ordered at the very end of the 2014 builds in May, and found that those that waited a month or so later were paying near full price for the 2015s. Of course, there are exceptions, but just offering my 2 cents.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2015, 07:34 PM   #15
_dmglce
Private
Rep

One dealer offered only $500 off MSRP. Wow.

Last edited by _dmglce; 05-31-2015 at 02:10 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2015, 05:52 PM   #16
Rob Daman
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2007 E90 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by _dmglce View Post
One dealer offered only $500 off MSRP. Wow.
had about $1000 off here in so cal.
Appreciate 0