THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum trying to buy a used 228i manual, not many available.

08-30-2021, 10:04 AM   #1
zultdush
Rep
Drives: BMW 330xi

Wink trying to buy a used 228i manual, not many available.

Hey,

First real post, you all have convinced me and now I want to swap my '06 330xi for a '15ish 228i.

I've been looking for a few weeks for a 228i manual, and there seem only to be a handful around $20K in the USA at any one time.

I found one that's blue outside, with chrome windows, ugly rims, and oyster interior, all three things I was hoping to avoid. It has good millage and good price, should I buy it and just paint the window trim, swap the rims and the oyster leather interior out with Dakota black leather from ebay? Or should I wait?

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2021, 11:04 AM   #2
Sportstick
Major General
Rep
Drives: '15 228i and '24 X3 sDrive30i

Quote:
Originally Posted by zultdush View Post
Hey,

First real post, you all have convinced me and now I want to swap my '06 330xi for a '15ish 228i.

I've been looking for a few weeks for a 228i manual, and there seem only to be a handful around $20K in the USA at any one time.

I found one that's blue outside, with chrome windows, ugly rims, and oyster interior, all three things I was hoping to avoid. It has good millage and good price, should I buy it and just paint the window trim, swap the rims and the oyster leather interior out with Dakota black leather from ebay? Or should I wait?

Thanks!
I have almost the car you want, but it's not for sale. I'll be buried in it. However, some advice may be helpful. A good vinyl wrap can take care of the blue exterior. Of course, I suggest 3M Fiery Orange. Painting the bright window mouldings is not the best approach, as I learned. The bright trim is bonded to the rear side windows and the bodyshop wanted to remove the entire window assembly...a direct path to the law of unintended consequences. Instead, I had the bright mouldings vinyl wrapped with black gloss. The results are great. As to wheels, so many choices...I prefer BBS.

If you just don't like light color interiors, I suppose a swap is one solution. However, I see you live in the south...I wouldn't overlook the value of the greater heat rejection of a light color. Here in the southwest, I would turn down an otherwise perfect car if it only offered a black interior. The oyster Dakota has worn very well for me over the years. I would check the condition before taking this step. OTOH, there are always seat covers before doing a full swap.

https://katzkin.com/?gclid=Cj0KCQjwg...QaAo43EALw_wcB

Good luck!
Attached Images

2015 228i 6MT/Track Handling/Tech/Cold/Premium/Lighting/Driver Assistance/KCDesign Strut Brace/M2 LCAs/Rogue SSK/BBS SR/PS4S/ER Chargepipe/AA Intercooler/Dinan Shockware/MPerformance Spoiler/Black Grilles/Xpel Ultimate PPF & Prime XR+ Tint/Adam's Ceramic/no CDV
2024 X3 sDrive30i/MSport/Premium/Dynamic Handling/Shadowline/Parking/Xpel Prime XR Plus/Weathertech Cargo Liner
Appreciate 1
Frosty780.00
      08-30-2021, 11:07 AM   #3
Lucky13
Lucky13
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 M235 manual, 2020 X3 30X

Just make sure it was produced after the timing chain plastic guide was produced. I’m sure you checked out N20 issues. We had a 2013 X1 with the N20 and traded it at7 years when the extended warranty ran out. Never had an issue and in fact was maybe the most trouble free car ever but wasn’t worth paying to have the guide changed out or a new engine put in.
1995 325i, 1996 328ci, 1997 528i, 1997 Z3 2.8, 2000 528i, 2001 X5 3.0, 2001 330i Convertible, 2002 M3 Convertible, 2003 M3 Coupe, 2004 M3 Coupe, 2004 Z4 3.0, 2004 X3 3.0, 2007 X3 3.0, 2007 335i Convertible, 2013 X1 28 sdrive, 2014 M235 manual, 2020 X3 30i Xdrive
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2021, 12:00 PM   #4
leftoverture
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW 228i

Geez. Blue is my favorite exterior color. Just goes to show we all have different preferences. Good advice above about knowing where the car you buy stands in regards to the timing chain issues. That is part of why I went with a 2016. Ultimately, mechanical reliability trumps color choice for me.
Appreciate 1
      08-30-2021, 02:32 PM   #5
zultdush
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportstick View Post
I have almost the car you want, but it's not for sale. I'll be buried in it. However, some advice may be helpful. A good vinyl wrap can take care of the blue exterior. Of course, I suggest 3M Fiery Orange. Painting the bright window mouldings is not the best approach, as I learned. The bright trim is bonded to the rear side windows and the bodyshop wanted to remove the entire window assembly...a direct path to the law of unintended consequences. Instead, I had the bright mouldings vinyl wrapped with black gloss. The results are great. As to wheels, so many choices...I prefer BBS.

If you just don't like light color interiors, I suppose a swap is one solution. However, I see you live in the south...I wouldn't overlook the value of the greater heat rejection of a light color. Here in the southwest, I would turn down an otherwise perfect car if it only offered a black interior. The oyster Dakota has worn very well for me over the years. I would check the condition before taking this step. OTOH, there are always seat covers before doing a full swap.

https://katzkin.com/?gclid=Cj0KCQjwg...QaAo43EALw_wcB

Good luck!
Thanks! this is a great idea. I'll look into the costs and see how everything adds up. Did you do the wrap yourself or find a shop that did it?
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2021, 02:33 PM   #6
zultdush
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky13 View Post
Just make sure it was produced after the timing chain plastic guide was produced. I’m sure you checked out N20 issues. We had a 2013 X1 with the N20 and traded it at7 years when the extended warranty ran out. Never had an issue and in fact was maybe the most trouble free car ever but wasn’t worth paying to have the guide changed out or a new engine put in.
yeah I was reading about the n20 a lot. Looks like the chain guide is a thing, and also 1st-2nd synchros are something to pay attention to. ty!
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2021, 02:57 PM   #7
Sportstick
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Thanks! this is a great idea. I'll look into the costs and see how everything adds up. Did you do the wrap yourself or find a shop that did it?
I researched reviews among local wrap shops and found a great one. He was meticulous and spent 3-4 hours while I was there waiting.
2015 228i 6MT/Track Handling/Tech/Cold/Premium/Lighting/Driver Assistance/KCDesign Strut Brace/M2 LCAs/Rogue SSK/BBS SR/PS4S/ER Chargepipe/AA Intercooler/Dinan Shockware/MPerformance Spoiler/Black Grilles/Xpel Ultimate PPF & Prime XR+ Tint/Adam's Ceramic/no CDV
2024 X3 sDrive30i/MSport/Premium/Dynamic Handling/Shadowline/Parking/Xpel Prime XR Plus/Weathertech Cargo Liner
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2021, 03:41 PM   #8
Aspen235
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 X3 35i, 2018 M240i 6mt

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftoverture View Post
Geez. Blue is my favorite exterior color. Just goes to show we all have different preferences. Good advice above about knowing where the car you buy stands in regards to the timing chain issues. That is part of why I went with a 2016. Ultimately, mechanical reliability trumps color choice for me.
I have 3 blue cars, love blue. I had oyster leather in a black E91 and loved it too, so a blue with oyster would be just great. It is an elegant look.
I like chrome with blue too, like my X3 which is dark blue with chrome.

Maybe the colours will grow on you OP.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2021, 05:16 PM   #9
morphomeman
Major
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235ix

Garage List
2016 BMW X3  [0.00]
2015 BMW M235ix  [0.00]
These cars are as scarce as hens teeth, so I would not quibble about color if the car has no mechanical problems. Swapping out the seat covers seems extreme, though. They will never look right unless you pay an arm and a leg for both the covers and the installation. Have you considered sheepskin? Especially in a warm climate, they are great and there are several very good custom makers. I had a set on my old 325 for a dozen years.
Appreciate 1
dradernh4413.00
      08-30-2021, 07:52 PM   #10
dradernh
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 M240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by morphomeman View Post
These cars are as scarce as hens teeth, so I would not quibble about color if the car has no mechanical problems. Swapping out the seat covers seems extreme, though. They will never look right unless you pay an arm and a leg for both the covers and the installation. Have you considered sheepskin? Especially in a warm climate, they are great and there are several very good custom makers. I had a set on my old 325 for a dozen years.
Good advice there, I think.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2021, 10:09 AM   #11
zultdush
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aspen235 View Post
I have 3 blue cars, love blue. I had oyster leather in a black E91 and loved it too, so a blue with oyster would be just great. It is an elegant look.
I like chrome with blue too, like my X3 which is dark blue with chrome.

Maybe the colours will grow on you OP.
the blue is okay, it was really the chrome window trim, the rims, and the seats lol. I'm going to go see about the car today or tomorrow and decide. Thanks so much!
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2021, 10:17 AM   #12
zultdush
Rep

Quote:
I researched reviews among local wrap shops and found a great one. He was meticulous and spent 3-4 hours while I was there waiting.
its really pretty, at first I thought it was a stock paint job. Very pretty. I prefer black, white, or like yellow cars myself.

I was thinking of getting nardo grey or like a golden yellow high gloss wrap for my e90. I'm curious if it will look good on this.

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/08..._1200x1200.jpg

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/04...11_300x300.jpg
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2021, 10:31 AM   #13
Sportstick
Major General
Rep

Quote:
its really pretty, at first I thought it was a stock paint job. Very pretty. I prefer black, white, or like yellow cars myself.

I was thinking of getting nardo grey or like a golden yellow high gloss wrap for my e90. I'm curious if it will look good on this.

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/08..._1200x1200.jpg

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/04...11_300x300.jpg
I think the yellow would be outstanding. Also a fan of some of the purple/violet shades. To me, the gray just blends into the pavement.

But, just to be clear, the window mouldings are what is vinyl wrapped on my car. The bodycolor is the original Valencia Orange paint. I was trying to offer advice versus expecting to paint the mouldings.
Appreciate 1
Frosty780.00
      08-31-2021, 10:39 AM   #14
KennyFSU
Captain
Rep
Drives: Lexus RC F

Garage List
Keep looking for the one you want or you'll never be happy with "settling."
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2021, 11:26 AM   #15
zultdush
Rep

Quote:
I think the yellow would be outstanding. Also a fan of some of the purple/violet shades. To me, the gray just blends into the pavement.

But, just to be clear, the window mouldings are what is vinyl wrapped on my car. The bodycolor is the original Valencia Orange paint. I was trying to offer advice versus expecting to paint the mouldings.
oohhhhhh okay hahaha I totally misunderstood. Thanks for the advice!
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2021, 08:28 PM   #16
76-14
SisterMaryMatthew
United_States
Rep
Drives: 76 2002,95 e34,2004 e60,14F22

Do the manual transmission F22s ( 14/15 )have the same frequency of timing chain issues as its automatic brethren? Does the automatic's, despite how good it is, time spent in eco and comfort setting contribute to the overall problem?
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2021, 08:45 PM   #17
zultdush
Rep

Quote:

Hey so I went to see the BMW 228i that we've been talking about:

I really liked how it drove, I could hear and feel the difference between my i6 330xi and this i4 twin turbo. It didn't feel as rewarding, but it was also very fun to drive and rev... so in the end it was fine!

the color and the interior were actually very nice in person!

so here's the weirdness:
1) the car has had two "minor" car accidents says car fax. front and rear. I could kinda tell as some of the panels didn't lineup perfect all the way around. All in all they did a decent job repairing out outside of that. I would have to put it up on a lift to really see how deep the damage goes...
2) the previous owner replaced the stock shift knob with a knob that had the weight of a pool ball. it was weird, and I didnt like shifting with it at all. Is this a concern, like who needs to replace the shift knob with something so heavy? made shifting feel dumb, and it was loose, so I actually took it off while test driving. With it on I couldn't feel my way through shifting.

so in your opinion, whats the level of concern with 2 accidents and a weird shift knob? I took a video of the engine while revving just in case I missed anything....

also thanks for taking the time to talk a bunch with me about this car already. If you have time I look forward to any additional thoughts you or anyone else have!
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2021, 05:24 AM   #18
morphomeman
Major
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235ix

Garage List
2016 BMW X3  [0.00]
2015 BMW M235ix  [0.00]
Minor is not structural.
As for the pool ball, you should be able to remove it fairly easily, even ask the dealer or owner to replace it with an original as a condition of sale.
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2021, 08:53 AM   #19
Sportstick
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Hey so I went to see the BMW 228i that we've been talking about:

I really liked how it drove, I could hear and feel the difference between my i6 330xi and this i4 twin turbo. It didn't feel as rewarding, but it was also very fun to drive and rev... so in the end it was fine!

the color and the interior were actually very nice in person!

so here's the weirdness:
1) the car has had two "minor" car accidents says car fax. front and rear. I could kinda tell as some of the panels didn't lineup perfect all the way around. All in all they did a decent job repairing out outside of that. I would have to put it up on a lift to really see how deep the damage goes...
2) the previous owner replaced the stock shift knob with a knob that had the weight of a pool ball. it was weird, and I didnt like shifting with it at all. Is this a concern, like who needs to replace the shift knob with something so heavy? made shifting feel dumb, and it was loose, so I actually took it off while test driving. With it on I couldn't feel my way through shifting.

so in your opinion, whats the level of concern with 2 accidents and a weird shift knob? I took a video of the engine while revving just in case I missed anything....

also thanks for taking the time to talk a bunch with me about this car already. If you have time I look forward to any additional thoughts you or anyone else have!
The shift knob is an easy fix. Is this a private sale or at a dealer? Whether the seller will do anything or if you are on your own is a relatively small financial matter for the negotiation. The second item is of more concern. I would not proceed without taking the car to a BMW dealer that has a relationship with a BMW Certified Body Shop (you can find one on the BMW website) for a thorough examination for mechanical and structural status.
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2021, 10:30 AM   #20
Aspen235
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 X3 35i, 2018 M240i 6mt

Accidents really hurt resale, you should get a 25% discount vs accident free. I agree to have a pro inspect the repair work, misaligned panels means the repair cut some corners.
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2021, 11:02 PM   #21
Nickies
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW M240I

A car that has been in an accident should be a no go. If some body panels have been misaligned in the rebuilding process this is because of short cuts.

You will even lose more money when the time will come to sell it.
2019 M240i, Melbourne Red, Black Interior. 3M Tint, Premium Package, Harman Kardon, Adaptive LED Head Lights, M Performance Exhaust and Diffuser, Chrome Exhaust Tips, 719M Bi Color Wheels, Black Kidney Grille, Burger Tuning JB+.
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2021, 07:57 AM   #22
Shovelman
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 230i

Ask where the original shift knob is, probably in a desk drawer somewhere.
Appreciate 0