THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum Why the M2 is much more car and worth every penny over the M235i

10-15-2015, 03:48 PM   #67
mc3456
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 Alfa Giulia Quadrifoglio

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW335iOn18s View Post
The M2 doesn't even have subframe bushings. You want to convince me it won't be hardcore? LOL! It will probably make the e46 look like a Cadillac.

E36/E46/E92s had partially different seats or the same seats as their non M counterparts....and all you guys are crying about lack of M seats? Am I the only one who remembers luxury package E36s and E46 M convertibles?

The N55B30T0 has a different block. It's barely a regular N55.

Am I the only one who remembers when M cars were about the driving experience and NOT M logos on seats (that don't even have thigh extensions) and other little trinkets?

I guess the E46 M3 sucked because the nav unit was shared with the 325i too.....

Today's M cars are far more aggressive than any e30 or e36. The E46 set the "modern M" standards and the current cars take chassis engineering and workmanship to a whole new level. What's awesome is that the high end non-Ms are WAY more capable than they used to be. And that works out for those of us who can't afford or don't want to pay for full M models just yet.

If you can't appreciate the many minor differences between M cars and non-Ms. Then you can save your money and drive a 2/3/435i or a 550i. That's why BMW gives us options!

YES! Finally, some common sense and perspective. I think too many of the other posters are not old enough to have ever experienced the earlier M cars in their era.

If they had been, then they'd understand that they were not really that great, but the bar for enhancements was set so low back then that they were deemed contemporaneously special as the factory tuner segment was in its infancy.

Just for some perspective, not only were they slow and uncomfortable, several times I chose brand new Porsche 911s because they handled better, were quicker, and actually more refined to ride in and drive.

Basically, posters here are reminiscing about shit they weren't even old enough to experience firsthand and now claiming how great they were. Pretty funny!
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2015, 03:54 PM   #68
Bohemoth
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by mc3456 View Post
I don't get guys like you. You are already bending over to defeat before even:

A) seeing one in person.
B) seeing the official final US pricing/options.
C) most importantly, driving one in person.

Sounds reasonable...
I may actually change my mind, ive told my usual salesman to call me when he has figures and one I can test etc. but like I said above its a car slotted into a specific price range, its the old cliché with the Cayman but its true.

I've had 3 Beemers now including the M235i, I wanted an M next since ive never had 1. I hoped this would be a smaller M4 as that never really won me over like the E92 M3 but im just not chuffed its like a fruity version of what I have.
Appreciate 1
      10-15-2015, 03:56 PM   #69
mc3456
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bohemoth View Post
The 1m coupe was one of the best looking cars BMW ever made so people naturally expect this to be on a par. The seats are already available in the M3 & M4, so why not just use them?

Criticism of people who feel it's half hearted is a bit harsh considering it's clearly a marketing decision, otherwise you'd put the seats and mirrors on the damn thing. It's not a bad car its just limited.
Did it ever occur to you that BMW is trying to keep the price of the M2 relatively affordable for folks who are most interested in serious performance, but can't afford too many of the expensive features? If they could, they'd be M4 buyers.

The only criticism I'm seeing is from those that don't want to or can't afford to pay M4 prices but still want an M4, to which I say, save your money and buy one used.

The M2 is a different beast that will be even more representative of the true M car ethos than even the M3/M4. I'm fairly certain that if you give it a chance, it will be the best decision you ever make. It will be a huge improvement over the 1M.

As a M235i owner, you of all people should understand how the longer wheelbase and more solid platform than a 1M has prepped the M2 to be one of the best small M cars ever...and I'm claiming that as a very satified M3 owner.

Fellow forum brothers, keep the M2 in perspective. Look at it's competitors (RS3/S3, CLA45) and then tell me this thing is not going to own the segment. You all have to stop comparing it to an M4/M3, because it is not one, nor was it meant to be one. The M2 is meant to be a true driver's car regardless of omitting stupid non-performance dictating features such as mirrors or seat designs.

The only suggestion I'd offer BMW is to take a cue from Porsche and offer every feature as an option (seats, mirrors, individual colors, even full leather dashboards), and if people value that stuff enough, they either have to put up or shut up. Simple as that!

Last edited by mc3456; 10-15-2015 at 04:12 PM..
Appreciate 2
      10-15-2015, 04:07 PM   #70
Bohemoth
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Did it ever occur to you that BMW is trying to keep the price of the M2 relatively affordable for folks who are most interested in serious performance, but can't afford too many of the expensive features? If they could, they'd be M4 buyers.

The only criticism I'm seeing is from those that don't want to or can't afford to pay M4 prices but still want an M4, to which I say, save your money and buy one used.

The M2 is a different beast that will be even more representative of the true M car ethos than even the M3/M4.
This is not related to finances, the M4 just doesn't do it for me. I dont need uber comfort and I'm lucky I can afford either. I want a pure driving machine but I want to feel like I bought an M not something that says M but lacks a little M styling that wouldn't really cost much tbh.

I had a VX220 for 2 years I can live with a pure driving machine without the trinkets.

I still remember the first time I saw an E92 M3 I was wowed by it. Hopefully I'll feel the same and change my mind as I want an M, otherwise I dont know what ill have next.
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2015, 04:12 PM   #71
Pyewacket69
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viffermike
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyewacket69 View Post
For those in ownership positions at BMW, I'd bet they'd completely disagree.

Record sales and high profits are hardly examples of a company that has lost its way.
For the short term. For the long term, I'd argue that the relative quality of BMWs (both compared to other marques and compared to past BMWs), as well as the flattening, broadening, and softening of its U.S. product range, will cost it dearly if it continues. Its European business may not suffer as much since BMWs are seen as slightly more pedestrian vehicles there. But in the U.S., higher-end brand reputation and mystique is a larger part of what makes the marque successful. Such traits can fall apart over time (albeit rarely quickly, with some exceptions) if bruises to the brand are not addressed.
No company stays on top forever. All products and services eventually come to a point of diminishing returns, where buyers and the market get saturated, whether it be cars, phones, restaurants, or anything else.

The trick is finding the "sweet spot" and riding it as long as possible.

Whether we like it or not, the current business model in practically every industry seems to always value the short term profit over the long term viability of the product.
Appreciate 1
      10-15-2015, 04:14 PM   #72
Viffermike
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 black-n-blue 718 Cayman

Quote:
So basically, because the M2 does not have Recaro seats that light up and winged mirrors, the brand is in decline and the new M2 sucks???

Clearly, you are not an M, AMG, RS/S level person who is buying/understands these special cars for all the right reasons. Good riddance!
My my, someone's making up for something missing.

:: drops mic again ::
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2015, 04:31 PM   #73
crbalch
The Schwab
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 AW M340xi

Garage List
2017 BMW X1  [0.00]
2016 BMW M235xi  [0.00]
Quote:
All BMWs are about performance, style, and workmanship. It is not exclusive to M cars.

BTW...if you are interested in raw performance, Subaru probably would not be on most folks shopping lists regardless of cost, unless you are like a 20-26 year old dope who either can't afford going German, or just can't appreciate the difference, to which I'd say go for the Subie.
You sound like such an entitled child in every one of your responses. Grow up.
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2015, 05:02 PM   #74
BMW335iOn18s
Resident BMW Fanboy
United_States
Rep
Drives: F82 CS SMB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bohemoth
The 1m coupe was one of the best looking cars BMW ever made so people naturally expect this to be on a par. The seats are already available in the M3 & M4, so why not just use them?

Criticism of people who feel it's half hearted is a bit harsh considering it's clearly a marketing decision, otherwise you'd put the seats and mirrors on the damn thing. It's not a bad car its just limited.
The 1M literally had 135i seats with orange stitching. The M2 has M235i seats with blue stitching. How is this bad or wrong?
      10-15-2015, 05:10 PM   #75
mc3456
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by crbalch View Post
You sound like such an entitled child in every one of your responses. Grow up.
Entitled child??? You're crazy. Wah!

Seriously though...People who have never owned an M car before are on here claiming M cars are now watered down and that BMW has lost their way because they didn't give the M2 winged mirrors and Recaro seats, and that is not entitled...especially before even seeing the car in person nor driving the car?

Excuse me for sharing some historical perspective on where the M brand is now and always has been having lived through every iteration during my driving years, minus the M1.

BTW...I'm far from an M fanboy having come out of 4 successive AMGs and several Porsche models prior to those...all paid for by myself, thank you very much!

#no winged mirrors = no participation trophy for millennials!

Last edited by mc3456; 10-15-2015 at 05:22 PM..
Appreciate 2
      10-15-2015, 05:16 PM   #76
Bohemoth
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
The 1M literally had 135i seats with orange stitching. The M2 has M235i seats with blue stitching. How is this bad or wrong?
These were basically the E92 seats with smaller side bolsters. The current M cars have bespoke seats that look the dogs. My brother has a 218d with the same seats as an M2...
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2015, 06:01 PM   #77
bluemeanie
Private
Rep
Drives: 228i=awesome

I'm ready. I want it. You can all go to ....
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2015, 08:06 PM   #78
OpenAir
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Enzo F23 228i

Garage List
2015 BMW 228i  [0.00]
I just want the M2 Cab !!!
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2015, 01:49 AM   #79
Cpdbeemer
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M235i & X6 5.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrematureApex View Post
Badge whores are killing cars like these...namely because they tend to interested in anything but the driving experience that once made these cars special.
Not to mention the obsession on this forum with M mirrors and carbon roof, or lack thereof.
      10-16-2015, 06:37 PM   #80
OrangeCrush
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: VO 1M #513/740

Quote:
These were basically the E92 seats with smaller side bolsters. The current M cars have bespoke seats that look the dogs. My brother has a 218d with the same seats as an M2...
The 1M seats were the 135i sport seats with orange stiching. They were not the same as the e92 m3 with smaller bolsters.
Appreciate 1
      10-16-2015, 07:35 PM   #81
recycledAlva
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: MY17 BSM M2

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
1. There won't be any ounce of compliance in the suspension/bushings/engine/trans mounts like there is in the M235i

2. The N55B30T0 is basically a detuned S55/N55 hybrid

3. The wide body is absolutely gorgeous and puts the car in another realm of style and presence

4. Its basically the E46 M3 / "right sized F8X" we've all been asking for

Here's why you all should stop complaining:

1. BMW enthusiasts have frequently cited the e36 m3 as g-ds gift to man kind - the car had an upgraded M52 that only revved to 7k without the ITBs and other complexities of the S50 along with absolutely zero distinction from an M tech E36 316/18/20/23/25/28. Ok, so we only got the M tech model in 1994 and 1999 as the 325is and 328is but still my point is valid. It wasn't even that aggressive or stiff in stock form, although it handled extremely well and had great proportions (M235i's predecessor anyone?). At least the e36 had M mirrors

2. The M2 will be extremely hard core like the e46 m3. Stuff, rough, and I'm sure much more sonorous. It's wide body, like the e46. It's got the amazing M diff from the F8x and even the gray gauges with orange needles (like the e46 and f8x). So what if it doesn't have M mirrors????

It's the e46 reborn and the downsized F8x we've all been asking for!!

This may very well be the last non hybrid, non Xdrive, manual, RWD, hard core track machine that BMW offers us enthusiasts. So I think it's time we buy as many as we can and show BMW our appreciation for not forgetting about us diehards. Who knows, maybe if we buy enough of them we'll can prevent BMW from making the next 2 series a fwd SUV convertible with 10 seats and a CVT...
and even more so for those of us with a 228i c:
      10-16-2015, 08:09 PM   #82
wjones14
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2C

Quote:
The 1m coupe was one of the best looking cars BMW ever made so people naturally expect this to be on a par.
You really think that? Beauty is in the eye of the beholder I guess, but I'd have to say you're in the minority. The 1M is a great car and justifiably still demands a steep price, but not because of its looks. If the two were in a beauty contest, the M2 would be Miss Universe and the 1M would be Miss Congeniality.
      10-16-2015, 08:22 PM   #83
Sportstick
Major General
Rep
Drives: '15 228i and '24 X3 sDrive30i

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjones14 View Post
You really think that? Beauty is in the eye of the beholder I guess, but I'd have to say you're in the minority. The 1M is a great car and justifiably still demands a steep price, but not because of its looks. If the two were in a beauty contest, the M2 would be Miss Universe and the 1M would be Miss Congeniality.
From the rear view in photos, the M2 would be Miss Plus Size USA.
2015 228i 6MT/Track Handling/Tech/Cold/Premium/Lighting/Driver Assistance/KCDesign Strut Brace/M2 LCAs/Rogue SSK/BBS SR/PS4S/ER Chargepipe/AA Intercooler/Dinan Shockware/MPerformance Spoiler/Black Grilles/Xpel Ultimate PPF & Prime XR+ Tint/Adam's Ceramic/no CDV
2024 X3 sDrive30i/MSport/Premium/Dynamic Handling/Shadowline/Parking/Xpel Prime XR Plus/Weathertech Cargo Liner
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2015, 08:30 PM   #84
wjones14
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportstick View Post
From the rear view in photos, the M2 would be Miss Plus Size USA.
good one!
      10-16-2015, 10:05 PM   #85
OrangeCrush
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: VO 1M #513/740

Quote:
I love the way the 1M looks! I would call it beautiful but it has a meaty, bulldog like stance. Definitely has an awesome presence on the road.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2015, 09:03 AM   #86
c63er
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeCrush
Quote:
I love the way the 1M looks! I would call it beautiful but it has a meaty, bulldog like stance. Definitely has an awesome presence on the road.
1m is the culmination of bmw styling from the Ex generation of cars (e36/e39/e46/etc) and for those of us that love that generation as being the best then it looks amazing

For these punks that thibk the f generation looks the best then I can see why the 1m looks dated or ugly.

I'm partial to the 1m but can see the appeal of the m2. My only problem is that it won't have the same wow factor as the 1m because it will come across to many people as a overly done (ie riced out) bmw. Especially if someone makes the mistake of modding it.
      10-17-2015, 09:16 AM   #87
Total madness
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M235i EB2

I sinceraly hope the M2 is that awesome, but i remember a certain dude called Randy Posbt who said about the M235i : it is the best bmw in the past 10 years.

I'd be overwhelmed if BMW M2 hits all the right button like the M235i did.

it's the balance of the car and the intangible feeling that everything just go along so well.

anyhow, can't wait for reputable reviews.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2015, 10:01 AM   #88
hangover
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeCrush View Post
Here we go.. "but the M2 just looks better so it's gotta be worth 60k and don't forget it's got a different engine block on it than a "M"235I that has engraved M2 on it just like my iPhone does"...

M235I >>> M2

Spend the extra coin though please - us stockholders are loving it.

Focus RS will be the COY in 2016.
Appreciate 0