THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics N55 (M235i) Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Tuning Dinan Stage 1 Discussion Only

08-22-2014, 11:19 PM   #45
dharo1
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Previous: F22 M235i ; F80 M3 ;

Quote:
Originally Posted by HelzRage
Quote:
Originally Posted by dharo1 View Post
Dinan parts are here!!!
Don't know what happened to Delnari, he had these great things to say on a test drive, strapping it up to a dyno, and then silence. I hope the dyno results didn't scare him away. Whatever they were he was impressed with the butt dyno so that has to mean something, right? Regardless-- I was curious as to what you ordered dharo since there were so many boxes. Anything impressive? You installing whatever they are yourself? Initial impressions after unboxing, etc? This thread may become the dharo / black thread since Delnari appears to have went AWOL.
1. stage 1 tune - 2 points
2. Springs - 5 points
3. Bump stops - 0 points
4. Exhaust - 3 points
I now have the 10 points required for badge...BUT I was told that they're still working on M235i's badge!!!!
I also have the JB4 with hardness and usb connection.....
The plan is: install exhaust tomorrow (I'll post pics and video) and then install springs and bump stops on Tuesday.
I was really hoping to see dyno sheets for dinan's stage 1 before installing mine....
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2014, 11:32 PM   #46
HelzRage
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Reliable

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaddy74 View Post
I was impressed with the Manhart powerbox then i road tested and Vboxed it against the JB4 stage 2 EWG Map 2 solution and folks the JB4 blew it out the water !! Happy to eat humble pie !!
I personally hold more stock in butt dyno and real world experience then all of the techno tools. Call me old school I guess. All these tools measure straight power which is great, but I am not opening up full throttle all of the time in a straight line. I drive. Real world situations are more important to me. Sure if i was drag racing at the track the straight line power would proably be very important to me but I don't so its not. Delnari actually posted an insight in another forum last night....

"Not sure after one day of driving around I can make any overall judgements about how the BMS compares to the Dinan at this time. Part of the issue was I went from the BMS back to stock for over week and loss memory of what everything felt like. I want to say the Dinan feels more lively in Sport/+ mode but that may be tainted by having no tune for that period of time. One thing I can say was coming off a main drag onto a side street in Sport + mode I was able to get the tail out much easier and the throttle felt very connected to the action. Previously that maneuver with the BMS would have been unpredictable as I didn't have the same throttle control I have now. I get the feeling the car will be much more drift manageable with the Dinan over the BMS.

Given my first impression, I want to reserve my overall evaluation until the Dyno numbers are in and I can look at the power curves side by side. My previous WRX had 292 AWD wheel power and 310 TQ, but it was very raw and not as controlled as the M235i. I want to say the BMS vs Dinan is much the same way. With the Dinan feeling like it was delivered from the factory with power refined and BMS being raw like the WRX power delivery was. Again, let's wait for the numbers tomorrow and see how it looks on paper to see how the power delivery is different."

That tells me a lot right there. Hence why I mentioned the comment about why I hope the dyno didnt scare him off. Like the other guy said, silence usually means a number lower then what was expected which in general I think everyone was expecting to begin with. Thats the MO of Dinan vs BMS to begin with. Even he claims the butt dyno and the real world performance makes the Dinan a more polished product for real world applications. The Burger box may have more power but that isnt always the most important thing, at least in my opinion. From your previous posts it sounds like the Manhart powerbox is much the same as the Dinan where it feels to be smooth, factory-like, etc. Things that are just as important as raw power, again, in my opinion.

It personally bothers me that nearly everyone on the forums seems to think that the highest number (hp) is by default the best and they must bow down to it. Yes, that means it produces the most power, but is it usable power in the real world or just in a straight line or on a dyno?
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2014, 11:37 PM   #47
HelzRage
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Reliable

Quote:
1. stage 1 tune - 2 points
2. Springs - 5 points
3. Bump stops - 0 points
4. Exhaust - 3 points
I now have the 10 points required for badge...BUT I was told that they're still working on M235i's badge!!!!
I also have the JB4 with hardness and usb connection.....
The plan is: install exhaust tomorrow (I'll post pics and video) and then install springs and bump stops on Tuesday.
I was really hoping to see dyno sheets for dinan's stage 1 before installing mine....
Wow, going the full path like black is. You guys are the all or nothing type I suppose. More reviews the better on all of this stuff so we all can get a better understanding of everything and sort through all the BS. Looking forward to your insights. Just promise not to pull a Delnari and leave us hanging.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2014, 12:05 AM   #48
G-Mann
Captain
Rep
Drives: M4CX

Different day, different conditions to factor in on the dyno pulls so it would not have been an apples to apples comparison. Be different if the pulls would have been done back 2 back but I was expecting some very comparable numbers which should have bode well for both units. The silence does have me wondering.

2022 M4 Comp X
2021 M440ix - Sold
2015 M235 - Sold
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2014, 12:17 AM   #49
FC4
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Yes

Here come the excuses....
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2014, 12:28 AM   #50
dharo1
Captain
United_States
Rep

Silence can also mean that it's time to switch from an iphone to a galaxy: longer lasting battery.

Edit: And I have an iphone.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2014, 02:51 AM   #51
chaddy74
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: M135i

There is a JB4 App for both.... its irrelevant !! Winning !
Quote:
Silence can also mean that it's time to switch from an iphone to a galaxy: longer lasting battery.

Edit: And I have an iphone.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2014, 09:48 AM   #52
Delnari
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 MG F22 Auto

Sorry for not posting any follow-ups everyone. Unfortnately, I will not be able to post or discuss any results from yesterday for a short period of time. I should be ready to discuss sometime late next week. Will be on vacation for the next few days and will keep up to date with the forum as much as possible.

Again, my apologies for the big build up with nothing I can report at this time. Once the current situation has been resolved I will be sure to clue you all back in. Until then keep enjoying this wonderful forum.

Last edited by Delnari; 08-23-2014 at 09:59 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2014, 09:51 AM   #53
ska///235i
***** noob
United_States
Rep
Drives: 325xi>M235i>428GCx Mspor

Garage List
2006 325xi  [0.00]
Sounds like fail to me

Sorry nothing against you but its funny how this turned out
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2014, 09:57 AM   #54
Delnari
Major
United_States
Rep

I can share this much information from last night. The car hit 166 mph on the Dyno during the first pull with car still in 6th gear!

I have the 8 speed automatic that is factory limited to 155 mph.

Last edited by Delnari; 08-23-2014 at 10:23 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2014, 10:13 AM   #55
jeffclev
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 M235i, 2018 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roshi
now if they would only get CARB approval so those of us in CA can order.
I talked to Dinan a couple of days ago. They are selling and installing on CA cars and will provide and install the EO sticker when available in a few months. They think it is no risk to get it - just time to process the paperwork. The Dtronics unit has BT connectivity for smart phone interface and headroom in processing power for chassis sw features in future upgrades. So trans, shocks and potentially steering tuning are on the horizon with no hw changes.

On a another note, they are in the development of their LSD. This will be like the 135is unit with "8%" slip on the straight. I assume that is the same as 92% lock? Not sure. Anyway, my Christmas list is growing - hope I've been a good boy :-)
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2014, 10:15 AM   #56
dharo1
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delnari
I can share this much information from last night. The car hit 166 mph on the Dyno during the first pull with car still in 6th gear!
Not good!!! Like many, I was excited to see your dyno results...I just got the Dinan tune in the mail as well...but hesitating to install yet.
I hope your issues have nothing to do with Dinan tune!!! Otherwise, it would be nice to know so those that placed orders or have just received their tunes could get it resolved.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2014, 10:27 AM   #57
Delnari
Major
United_States
Rep

Sorry it has to be this way for while, and I feel for you having received your new kit. Remember you have a 3 Day Return window from Dinan after the kit is installed.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2014, 10:30 AM   #58
hyperzulu
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235i

Sorry to hear that. Hope you get everything resolved quickly, whatever it may be. GL
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2014, 10:36 AM   #59
mazerrackham
Private
Rep
Drives: i3, M235i

Theories:

car had no gains

car went into limp mode

excess torque opened a wormhole to a distant world and the government needs a week to engage in peace / blow them up
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2014, 10:44 AM   #60
FC4
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Yes

So the product was installed and the car was on a dyno...why are the results not reported?

Oh...I get it. The results weren't what were expected so they're trying to figure out what's wrong.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2014, 10:48 AM   #61
vinny84
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2005 BMW X5

This would be terrible but maybe the car flew off the dyno? Sounds stupid, but you never know

He said the car hit 166mph on the dyno, why can't he post the results?

Very curious now
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2014, 11:29 AM   #62
dharo1
Captain
United_States
Rep

Dinan exhaust ready to be installed....shop is recommending welding the pipes instead of using the clamps that came with exhaust...according to them, heat and vibrations will loosen the clamps with time..what do u guys think? I told them I was gonna be back in a couple of hours.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-23-2014, 12:32 PM   #63
Roshi
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235 - MW, 6MT.

Nice!! Will have to see how this thread pans out or wait for updates from early adopters.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffclev View Post
I talked to Dinan a couple of days ago. They are selling and installing on CA cars and will provide and install the EO sticker when available in a few months. They think it is no risk to get it - just time to process the paperwork. The Dtronics unit has BT connectivity for smart phone interface and headroom in processing power for chassis sw features in future upgrades. So trans, shocks and potentially steering tuning are on the horizon with no hw changes.

On a another note, they are in the development of their LSD. This will be like the 135is unit with "8%" slip on the straight. I assume that is the same as 92% lock? Not sure. Anyway, my Christmas list is growing - hope I've been a good boy :-)
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2014, 12:42 PM   #64
///MCFC
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M235i

Quote:
Dinan exhaust ready to be installed....shop is recommending welding the pipes instead of using the clamps that came with exhaust...according to them, heat and vibrations will loosen the clamps with time..what do u guys think? I told them I was gonna be back in a couple of hours.
I've always used clamps and have never had an issue. Even if the clamps do loosen over time, you can just tighten them back up!
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2014, 01:36 PM   #65
Delnari
Major
United_States
Rep

Clamps on axleback muffler is okay with a good seal. If you were gettting a new mid-pipe or down-pipe you would want it welded. Will be easier to replace in the future it you just clamp it on as well.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2014, 01:47 PM   #66
mteele
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235i

I don't understand. You can't post results because you are on vacation? But then you have time to make 4 other posts...? Something is really off here. It's not like you work for Dinan. Just clue us in!
Appreciate 0