THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum Enable Variable Light Distribution??

03-19-2018, 05:09 PM   #1
MetalMK
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW

Enable Variable Light Distribution??

I have been searching everywhere for how to enable variable light distribution, but I just could not find the correct way

My car is the Canadian version, it does not have 5AP or 8S4, but it does have 522 Xenon Light and 563 Lights Package. Does anyone know how to do this?

Appreciate 0
      03-19-2018, 08:18 PM   #2
pikcachu
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i (F22 Red angel)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalMK View Post
I have been searching everywhere for how to enable variable light distribution, but I just could not find the correct way

My car is the Canadian version, it does not have 5AP or 8S4, but it does have 522 Xenon Light and 563 Lights Package. Does anyone know how to do this?

they should be enabled by default...
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2018, 04:59 AM   #3
Kolyan2k
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2006 S2000

Isn't that enabled on EU cars only? I don't know about Canada but on US cars you need to code it
Appreciate 1
      03-20-2018, 08:54 AM   #4
Ron Jeffries
Old Member. Old in general, actually.
Rep
Drives: 2018 M240i xDrive convertible

my understanding was that in US cars, all the necessary hardware isn’t there anyway? i’ve heard of canada but i don’t know anything about it.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2018, 09:58 AM   #5
Kolyan2k
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Jeffries View Post
my understanding was that in US cars, all the necessary hardware isn’t there anyway? i’ve heard of canada but i don’t know anything about it.
No hardware for automatic high beams, VLD needed to be coded that's it. So #6 is not available due to hardware
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2018, 12:12 PM   #6
Poochie
Luxury at the redline :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2

Bimmercode for VLD:

***Front Electronic Module***

In Expert Mode:

C_AFS_ENA (3073) uncheck the two lines that contain "disable", and checked the the two lines that contain "enable".

LUT_FLC_FORWARDLIGHTING_Y (3073) Uncheck the two lines that contain 0xB0, and checked the two lines that contain 0x9C three times.

Complete the coding before exiting "expert mode." Done.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2018, 01:10 PM   #7
Ron Jeffries
Rep

Thanks. A bit scary but what could go wrong ...
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2018, 01:54 PM   #8
Kolyan2k
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunil_linus View Post
Nothing to really mess up but be warned, the car will shut off after coding, totally normal.

There is backup of the original factory parameters stored in the APP automatically, if you choose to revert back to the original settings.

Also, ONLY if you optioned for the $250 Auto High Beam option, you can enable anti-dazzle feature (6). People will say that the US/Canada vehicles doesn't have the corrected hardware to support this option but I verified that it works just fine, as long as you have the 5AC option, your vehicle won't blind any oncoming drivers.
Was automatic high beams even an option on m235i? I know you need a switch for it, correct?
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2018, 02:02 PM   #9
Poochie
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kolyan2k View Post
Quote:
Nothing to really mess up but be warned, the car will shut off after coding, totally normal.

There is backup of the original factory parameters stored in the APP automatically, if you choose to revert back to the original settings.

Also, ONLY if you optioned for the $250 Auto High Beam option, you can enable anti-dazzle feature (6). People will say that the US/Canada vehicles doesn't have the corrected hardware to support this option but I verified that it works just fine, as long as you have the 5AC option, your vehicle won't blind any oncoming drivers.
Was automatic high beams even an option on m235i? I know you need a switch for it, correct?

There's a button on the turn signal stalk to activate it. If you see a green "A" on the dash, you have AHB.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-20-2018, 04:45 PM   #10
MetalMK
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Bimmercode for VLD:

In Expert Mode:

C_AFS_ENA (3073) uncheck the two lines that contain "disable", and checked the the two lines that contain "enable".

LUT_FLC_FORWARDLIGHTING_Y (3073) Uncheck the two lines that contain 0xB0, and checked the two lines that contain 0x9C three times.

Thanks. Gonna try this out right now

Edit: I did all the steps correctly (I think). How do I check if it works or not?

Last edited by MetalMK; 03-20-2018 at 04:55 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2018, 05:07 PM   #11
Poochie
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Bimmercode for VLD:

In Expert Mode:

Thanks. Gonna try this out right now

Edit: I did all the steps correctly (I think). How do I check if it works or not?
I'm in NYC, it's still bright out, so based on that, you could wait until tonight or go to a dark garage, face the car to a wall, power on and switch the high beams on/off - you'll then notice the beam pattern move differently and more rapidly than prior to coding. Later tonight, go for a long, dark drive, be observant... Best advice I could give you.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2018, 05:27 PM   #12
MetalMK
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
I'm in NYC, it's still bright out, so based on that, you could wait until tonight or go to a dark garage, face the car to a wall, power on and switch the high beams on/off - you'll then notice the beam pattern move differently and more rapidly than prior to coding. Later tonight, go for a long, dark drive, be observant... Best advice I could give you.
I switched my high beams on and off in my garage without the engine running but the lights did not move at all. Does the engine need to be running when I switch the high beams on and off?

Last edited by MetalMK; 03-20-2018 at 05:35 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2018, 05:35 PM   #13
Poochie
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Does the engine need to be running when I switch the high beams on and off?

No, not really. Just flick it on/off and observe the difference in the pattern; I remember this was the first thing that was apparent to me, after coding - and I'm the skeptical type... At nighttime, I noticed a much quicker motion of the low beams, as they oscillate.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2018, 05:37 PM   #14
MetalMK
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
No, not really. Just flick it on/off and observe the difference in the pattern; I remember this was the first thing that was apparent to me, after coding - and I'm the skeptical type... At nighttime, I noticed a much quicker motion of the low beams, as they oscillate.
They did not move at all... Someone else mentioned that I also need to remove 8S4 but it is not in my option list in VIN decoder. If that is not the case, what am I missing?
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2018, 05:46 PM   #15
Poochie
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
They did not move at all... Someone else mentioned that I also need to remove 8S4 but it is not in my option list in VIN decoder. If that is not the case, what am I missing?

That's not true, you could code either or. Btw my vehicle's description say's "Decoding for no-dazzler hgh bm" is that also listed on your vin decoder ?

Last edited by Poochie; 03-20-2018 at 08:21 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2018, 06:57 PM   #16
MetalMK
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
That's not true, you could code either or. Btw my vehicle's description say's "Decoding for no-dazzler hgh bm" is that also listed on your vin decoder ?
No. It is an option if you ordered 5AC Automatic high beams. However, it was not an option here in Canada. Are there two buttons on the side of your turn signal column instead of one?

My lights are the same as the video on the right:
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2018, 07:17 PM   #17
Poochie
United_States
Rep

Yes, I do have two buttons on my turn signal stalk, the lower button is to activate the Auto High Beams.

This just adds to the confusion of which hardware are compatible of coding VLD. But I am going to assume that if you did the coding correctly and you don't notice a difference in the beam pattern, your vehicle is not capable of activating this feature.

Because my vehicle's headlight pattern looks like the car on the left, with VLD.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2018, 08:04 PM   #18
MetalMK
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Yes, I do have two buttons on my turn signal stalk, the lower button is to activate the Auto High Beams.

This just adds to the confusion of which hardware are compatible of coding VLD. But I am going to assume that if you did the coding correctly and you don't notice a difference in the beam pattern, your vehicle is not capable of activating this feature.

Because my vehicle's headlight pattern looks like the car on the left, with VLD.
You are correct. I decoded my friend's M235i VIN (his car is a US car) and he has all the decoding stuff in the option list. I guess my car just does not have the hardware to have VLD although they look exactly the same as my friend's car. I regret not getting the M235i a lot, the M235i is just a lot more of a car than a 228i for an inexpensive price. I don't know what I was thinking when I initially bought the car
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2018, 08:52 PM   #19
Poochie
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

You are correct. I decoded my friend's M235i VIN (his car is a US car) and he has all the decoding stuff in the option list. I guess my car just does not have the hardware to have VLD although they look exactly the same as my friend's car. I regret not getting the M235i a lot, the M235i is just a lot more of a car than a 228i for an inexpensive price. I don't know what I was thinking when I initially bought the car

I had a similar situation with the first BMW I irrationally bought.. You live and you learn..

There is someone on this forum that retrofitted the High Beam Assistance option to his vehicle.. I don't think you want to tackle that; it's not that serious but it's a good, informative read if you're interested.. Best of luck!
Appreciate 1
MetalMK228.50
      03-21-2018, 06:31 AM   #20
Ron Jeffries
Rep

I do have the auto high beam stuff. Maybe I'll grow a pair and try this coding. It probably can't shut the car down permanently and as you say I can always restore.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2018, 11:16 AM   #21
shil
Huh? Wazzat?
Canada
Rep
Drives: 228i xDrive

I’ve got a Canadian 228 with the 522 Xenon Lights and the 563 Lights Package.
I believe that Variable Light Distribution is enabled. There’s no 8S4 to remove.
On start-up and when shifting to reverse the headlight pattern changes. I park underground and it’s obvious.
Having said that, if it’s doing anything it’s subtle.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2018, 11:55 AM   #22
MetalMK
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by shil View Post
I’ve got a Canadian 228 with the 522 Xenon Lights and the 563 Lights Package.
I believe that Variable Light Distribution is enabled. There’s no 8S4 to remove.
On start-up and when shifting to reverse the headlight pattern changes. I park underground and it’s obvious.
Having said that, if it’s doing anything it’s subtle.
Are your light similar to the one on the left or right:
Appreciate 0