THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum Bmw bilstein b8 conversion

01-13-2024, 09:49 AM   #1
phineline007
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M235i 6 speed

Bmw bilstein b8 conversion

Hi,
I have a 2015 m235i rwd edc. I am looking to replace factory suspension with bilstein b8’s and run h&r super sport springs https://www.mlperformanceusa.com/pro...5i-340i-440i-1

I was curious if anyone who has gone from edc to a non-edc setup knows what parts I will need to go along with the link above. It looks like I will need to get adjustable end links. What else will I need?

Any help is appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2024, 10:00 AM   #2
M3SQRD
Major General
Rep
Drives: E92 M3,G20 330ix,F22 240iX,F82

There are none. You’ll reuse the oem front and rear top mounts (or camber plates in the front if you’ve purchased them) with the B8 and H&R springs. You’ll need to tie off the edc wires to prevent them from swinging around and getting damaged. Only thing is EDC simulators or coding to remove EDC fault and ability to use the sport button. BMW recommends replacing the lower rear damper mounting bolts but I’ve seen them reused without issue. I’m running a MCS 2WR setup on my M240ix.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2024, 10:10 AM   #3
freakystyly
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F22 B58 6MT

Replacing all of the supporting hardware is the smartest thing to do... Especially if the car has enough mileage for the shocks to be worn out. A lot of people skip pieces depending on budget or wear and tear on the car.

front:
strut mounts and their bolts - bushing wear can cause rattle, bearing can cause clicking when turning wheels
top strut nut - may come with struts and shock kit
upper and lower spring pads (rubber bits) - they can get soft and sloppy but not really a big deal
bump stops - stock ones likely would be too long for the springs
bump stop guard tube - non critical and can be reused
hub pinch nuts and bolts - high torque application, not a bad idea to swap to prevent accidents with shock in mount slipping
Upper and lower control arms (or at least inspect bushings for wear)
end links - as mentioned may be too short

rear:
pretty much same as above

And then code out the adaptive shocks or install the bypass kit.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2024, 10:14 AM   #4
phineline007
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by freakystyly View Post
Replacing all of the supporting hardware is the smartest thing to do... Especially if the car has enough mileage for the shocks to be worn out. A lot of people skip pieces depending on budget or wear and tear on the car.

front:
strut mounts and their bolts
top strut nut
upper and lower spring pads (rubber bits)
bump stops - stock ones likely would be too long for the springs
bump stop guard tube
hub pinch nuts and bolts
Upper and lower control arms (or at least inspect bushings for wear)
end links as mentioned

rear:
pretty much same as above

And then code out the adaptive shocks or install the bypass kit.
Great, my question is do i use the upper strut mounts for edc cars or the ones for non edc cars? They are different part numbers.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2024, 11:15 AM   #5
freakystyly
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

As far as I know the only difference in front strut mounts is the number of top screws.

m235i likely has 3 and m240i should have 5. You'll have to visually check, I'm not sure if there was overlap between models.

I'm almost in the same boat as you. Purchasing hardware to be put on during better weather or some long weekend. Camber plates and Eibach springs are already on but the shocks and struts are finished now.

Last edited by freakystyly; 01-13-2024 at 11:30 AM..
Appreciate 1
      01-15-2024, 01:52 PM   #6
phineline007
Rep

Quote:
As far as I know the only difference in front strut mounts is the number of top screws.

m235i likely has 3 and m240i should have 5. You'll have to visually check, I'm not sure if there was overlap between models.

I'm almost in the same boat as you. Purchasing hardware to be put on during better weather or some long weekend. Camber plates and Eibach springs are already on but the shocks and struts are finished now.
Did you trim your bump stops or elect to go with a different type? I an going to be running h&r super sport springs
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2024, 02:10 PM   #7
freakystyly
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

I went with shorter ones but in hindsight probably didn't need to. The Eibachs don't lower the car as much as the H&Rs will. There's a thread somewhere mentioning shorter bumpstops from previous models that would work. Search F80, E39 or E60 bump stops.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2024, 02:24 PM   #8
phineline007
Rep

Quote:
I went with shorter ones but in hindsight probably didn't need to. The Eibachs don't lower the car as much as the H&Rs will.
Where did you get the shorter ones and do you have a part #?
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2024, 02:41 PM   #9
freakystyly
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

I can't find any email history for them so I think it was through the dealership, sometimes it's more just convenient to go there for random parts. You can do parts # lookup on the realoem site (learn to use this a lot if you DIY) or have someone at the desk look it up.
Appreciate 0