THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum 2 is really a newer e46

05-27-2018, 10:26 AM   #45
Pyrotech7
Enthusiast
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 228i, 2003 325i

Currently own a 2003 325i sedan and a 2015 228i, and both cars are awesome. Both also happen to have the same paint code (Schwarz 2, aka Jet Black) and interior (black leather), so they match each other really nicely not only in size but in color as well. My 228i is currently in the shop (got hit by an 86-year-old woman ), but when it returns I'll post comparison pics. Never actually lined my cars up side by side and observed them so it will be fun I imagine. Having had the e46 first for about a year and a half, the second I pulled the 228i out to test drive it I was completely at home. I almost wanted to pull over and double check the badge on the back it felt so similar. As previous posters have stated, there definitely is a muted road feel in the 228i. The e46 definitely is better in that regard. But I find the f22 steering to be almost perfectly balanced and there's no "wiggle room". In my e46 I can turn the steering wheel a bit before the wheels start to turn. In the f22 the wheels start turning instantly. It responds to even the slightest feedback, which is something I love. It feels like the car is "listening", always ready. The e46 takes a slightly greater bit of effort. As for power delivery, sadly it's no comparison. The e46 doesn't want to start singing until 3k-3500 RPMs, and really comes alive above that. The f22 is what I call my pocket rocket. All the torque is available across almost the full spectrum. It can be really easy to get too extra, too quick, especially with the safety systems off.
Just some of my thoughts. Will post pictures later when I get my second baby back