THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum 2 Series driver crashes into Norwalk building, rushed to hospital

06-01-2019, 05:32 PM   #23
EstorilM240
Private
Rep
Drives: 2017 M240i 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by IK6SPEED View Post
You will notice after reading enough of these that drunk drivers usually survive crashes (surprisingly with little injury) that kill other drivers.

A very sad irony.
This curiosity prompted me about something I had read about in the past: While driving drunk is obviously bad and makes you far more likely to crash, studies show drunk people are actually more likely to survive. Theories include alcohol conferring a protective effect to healing, but can also be because drunk people don't tense up before the impact and they are generally more relaxed.

https://www.thedrive.com/news/3704/f...ve-a-collision

"His findings don't show that a drunk driver's injuries during a car crash are likely to be less serious than those suffered by potential sober victims, just that if all parties suffer the same injuries, the sober ones are more likely to die.

Quote:
The results of a study from the University of Illinois at Chicago (UIC) show that not only does an appreciable blood-alcohol level seem to increase a trauma victim's chances of survival after being admitted to a hospital, but that the drunker a victim is, the more likely he or she is to survive.

"After an injury, if you are intoxicated there seems to be a pretty substantial protective effect," said Lee Friedman, the author of the study and an assistant professor of environmental and occupational health sciences at UIC, in a statment issued by the school. "The more alcohol you have in your system, the more the protective effect."
https://www.livescience.com/24979-al...y-outcome.html

Also, having been at the end of the 105 freeway a few times in that area, I think it definitely needs much better signage telling people how to get onto the 605, and possibly make the "105 through path" an explicit exit onto Studebaker Road. The carpool lane also doesn't help with the confusion. Probably put multiple a gigantic flashing lights there.
Appreciate 0