THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum 2 handed driving

06-26-2017, 07:05 PM   #23
3.0L
Colonel
Rep
Drives: M235i, 20k miles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportstick View Post
You are young. 13 years ago, I was 50.

Two handed driving here as the default, with intermittent periods of arm resting on longer trips.
Ha! I was 50 years old 20 years ago! And I still avoided that damned texting clueless idiot a**hole driver!

I think this topic of 2-handed driving is more about avoiding distracted drivers than anything.

When writing your life's plan, use a pencil with an eraser
Appreciate 2
crabu2141.50
BM235iW97.00
      06-26-2017, 07:11 PM   #24
BEM-S4
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Dinan M235, Dinan Sport Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryan_f22 View Post
when i was 20, i built an evo 5 with imported parts from new zeland, "kempys".

I was a block from my house when a car ran a stop sign, it t-boned me. I was driving with one hand at 12:00. Air bag blew my arm back while i was still gripping wheel.

To this day, i have a weird bump "bone spur" in my left hand that hurts during rainy days and after a few days on track. I sometimes have to wear a hand wrap glove.

Driving with 2 hands, 9 & 3 gives you the most control of the car. Your seating should also be closer than you think. You should be able to sit back and rest your wrists on top of the wheel. This is the propper seating and hand positioning.
Mine was taxi ran a stop sign and t-boned me while my hand was on my gearshift. Partially tore my ulnar nerve. Just one of those freak things.

God bless Dr. P for massively over engineering the first gen Touareg. No one was seriously hurt.
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2017, 09:19 PM   #25
harma24
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M240i Glacier Silver

Garage List
2017 BMW M240i  [0.00]
Interestingly, I formerly drove mostly with only my left hand on the wheel. Combination of learning to fly before learning to drive and driving sticks. In airplanes, your left hand is on the yoke and your right hand on the throttle. The habit carried over to cars, plus the right hand needed to be near the stick so it was just natural (even when I switched to automatics).

However, I find that in this car I tend to drive with two hands on the wheel at 9 & 3 (occasionally 8 & 4, but never 10 & 2). I think it's due to the paddles.

BTW, if one hand is adequate to control an aircraft in three dimensions, it is certainly adequate to control a car in two (knowing that the right hand is never far away when needed). And if you've never landed an aircraft in gusting winds near it's demonstrated crosswind component, don't bother telling me otherwise.
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2017, 09:25 PM   #26
pz619
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: F87 M2C 6MT, Tesla 3

Since this car has paddle shifters I drive virtually at 9 and 3 all the time. Only time my hand is only at 9 is on the freeway.
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2017, 09:28 PM   #27
crabu2
Captain
Rep
Drives: Truck and ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by pz619
Since this car has paddle shifters I drive virtually at 9 and 3 all the time. Only time my hand is only at 9 is on the freeway.
I drive 9 and 3 but almost never use the paddles... I'm still scratching my head why I drive with 2 hands on this car..
      06-27-2017, 12:09 AM   #28
ORIGIN M.
Banned
Rep
Drives: ///M

Not an age thing...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEM-S4 View Post
1 hand is mandatory for texting while driving

BarryJl or others with kids, WTF is the deal with snapchat videos taken while driving? When did that become a thing? It's never anything cool just around town bullshit. Maybe I am hitting old man status but I just cannot for the life of me grasp the draw of posting every single minute boring aspect of one's life.
That is what people do when they have no life.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2017, 12:40 AM   #29
Nahlem
Captain
Sweden
Rep
Drives: None atm

Garage List
2022 BMW i4 m50  [10.00]
My girlfriend have a tendency to turn with one hand in the most weird way told her several times to not turn like that if the car loses traction or control she will loose the grip of the steering wheel and crash, it might be ok during the summer but bad habits they don't disappear just because winter arrives and turning like my gf does during winter time is crazy if the car looses grip then its pretty much bye bye to get control over the car and save the situation. The picture is of her when we she was driving we were coming down from the highway to a roundabout and she started turning like that, she din't believe me earlier in the car when i told her that she is turning like that so a snapped a picture of her in action, she then said she was not aware of the situation that she was turning like that because it had become a habit and she had seen her father driving like that all her life.

So no holding your hands it the so called rally car driving position where one hand is at 9 o clock and the other hand at 3 o clock is the proper way of driving a car.

http://drivinginstructorblog.com/q-w...ing-the-wheel/
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2017, 12:46 AM   #30
crabu2
Captain
Rep
Drives: Truck and ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alden_88M View Post
My girlfriend have a tendency to turn with one hand in the most weird way told her several times to not turn like that if the car loses traction or control she will loose the grip of the steering wheel and crash, it might be ok during the summer but bad habits they don't disappear just because winter arrives and turning like my gf does during winter time is crazy if the car looses grip then its pretty much bye bye to get control over the car and save the situation. The picture is of her when we she was driving we were coming down from the highway to a roundabout and she started turning like that, she din't believe me earlier in the car when i told her that she is turning like that so a snapped a picture of her in action, she then said she was not aware of the situation that she was turning like that because it had become a habit and she had seen her father driving like that all her life.

So no holding your hands it the so called rally car driving position where one hand is at 9 o clock and the other hand at 3 o clock is the proper way of driving a car.

http://drivinginstructorblog.com/q-w...ing-the-wheel/
Got a video of her turning? Based on the position of her hands, it looks like she goes hand over hand... I remember seeing truck drivers doing this in movies... But in their defense, those old tractor trailers had gigantic steering wheels.
      06-27-2017, 12:57 AM   #31
Nahlem
Captain
Sweden
Rep
Drives: None atm

Garage List
2022 BMW i4 m50  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by crabu2 View Post
Got a video of her turning? Based on the position of her hands, it looks like she goes hand over hand... I remember seeing truck drivers doing this in movies... But in their defense, those old tractor trailers had gigantic steering wheels.
Unfortunately no video, but a short explain just before she starts turning the steering wheel she moves one hand in to that position to start turning the vehicle from holding her usual hand position is 10 to 2 o clock so even there its not correct.

And she is also driving an automatic so really the only other thing she has to keep control over is the throttle & braking.

But i have noticed that both my sister and my mother also drives the car in this manner.

I guess that's why i hate sitting in the car with them when they are driving and prefer to drive my self cause i don't feel safe when they drive.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2017, 09:34 AM   #32
Maynard
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 228iX & M2C

Spinner knobs are the best (for when you've given up on all skilled technique). And added bonus: they are specifically illegal - how cool is that, eh?

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Car-Power...Brown/45515731
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2017, 10:54 AM   #33
msej449
msej449
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M235i Convertible +LSD 2016

Garage List
When I was taught to drive, it was explained to me that you needed to have two hands on the wheel in order to be prepared to turn it through more than about 90 degrees - especially in an emergency - without crossing your hands and coming to a stop (turning the wheel) at just the point when you needed more turn. This was in the days of no power-assisted steering. I got out of the habit: then when I went on driver training after buying a Lotus, the same message was emphasised very emphatically - we were doing skidpan and track handling and no way could I have handled the car properly without the '2 hands, never crossed' approach. Years in 5 and 3-series autos again made me get lazy, until now.

The 2 Series is a relatively agile car in any engine format, especially so in the 228i/230i and M235i/M240i where you also have a lot of power on tap. Put it into SPORT or SPORT+ mode and I think it's important to be able to automatically use the '2 hands, never crossed' approach given the situations you might get yourself into.

I've scheduled some skidpan/handling training at my local circuit, where they actually use 235i and 240i coupés as the training car.
      06-27-2017, 11:50 AM   #34
Sportstick
Major General
Rep
Drives: '15 228i and '24 X3 sDrive30i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alden_88M View Post

I think it's a reasonable guess that the family history of steering this way started back in the days before power steering. That kind of arm usage suggests having to "tug" on the wheel to get it to move.
2015 228i 6MT/Track Handling/Tech/Cold/Premium/Lighting/Driver Assistance/KCDesign Strut Brace/M2 LCAs/Rogue SSK/BBS SR/PS4S/ER Chargepipe/AA Intercooler/Dinan Shockware/MPerformance Spoiler/Black Grilles/Xpel Ultimate PPF & Prime XR+ Tint/Adam's Ceramic/no CDV
2024 X3 sDrive30i/MSport/Premium/Dynamic Handling/Shadowline/Parking/Xpel Prime XR Plus/Weathertech Cargo Liner
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2017, 11:55 AM   #35
B_Rice
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 6spd Estoril Blue M235i

I usually drive with my left on 9 and my right on the shifter since most of my driving is city driving. 9 and 3 at on the freeway and the track.
      06-27-2017, 12:42 PM   #36
Dylan86
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: F15d msport, F22 m235i

I find being back in a MT car I'm mostly 9 and 3 and always when driving in a spirited fashion. In my truck or DSG car I find myself getting a lot more distracted and tempted to "one hand" the wheel and "multi-task/juggle".
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2017, 12:48 PM   #37
fbsm
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 4wheels

I feel a need for some one handed drifting while texting
Appreciate 2
Dylan861330.00
crabu2141.50
      06-27-2017, 04:36 PM   #38
BPC
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235i Convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sypher View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.0L View Post
I realize some folks view 2-handed driving as sissy or old fogey, but allow me to tell you a short story:

I was driving our MB GLK350 on a 2-lane road about a year ago when an oncoming full-size pickup came completely into our lane on a curve. I had both hands on the wheel (about 10 and 2). I swerved onto the shoulder without over controlling the car or going off into the weeds. There was about 2 feet of clearance as the clueless, still-heads-down, idiot driver passed by. It was all over in 2 seconds. I didn't have time to sound the horn or even utter an expletive. That's how quick you can die.

I continue to drive like an old fogey - 2 hands on the wheel. Considering the ever-increasing number of distracted drivers (texting, no doubt), I think this is good technique. At least you have a chance...
+1 on driving with 2 hands. 85% of the time, I'm driving 9 and 3 because of habit from years and years of autocross. 9 and 3 is best situated for handling emergencies and quick precise response.
What this guy said.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2017, 04:43 PM   #39
fbsm
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 4wheels

Whats next.....you guys going to poo poo "spirited" driving?

Appreciate 0
      06-27-2017, 04:56 PM   #40
3.0L
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by fbsm View Post
Whats next.....you guys going to poo poo "spirited" driving?

Who said that?

Just stay in your lane and don't drive distracted.

Appreciate 0
      06-27-2017, 08:06 PM   #41
Rayscott
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW 228ix

Quote:
Most of my one handed driving is at the 4 or 8 position because I like to rest my elbow on something.. But, at times, I do drive one handed on the top half of the steering wheel.

What gets me is that my hands feel glued to the 9 and 3 position now.. 2 handed driving..
Same here, it just feels more comfortable and I feel like I have better control when driving especially when I am using the paddles.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2017, 08:11 PM   #42
Rayscott
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW 228ix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportstick View Post
You are young. 13 years ago, I was 50.

Two handed driving here as the default, with intermittent periods of arm resting on longer trips.
Old fart here, 13 years ago I was 60. It's only a number
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2017, 08:21 PM   #43
BM235iW
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 Black Sapphire M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by harma24 View Post
Interestingly, I formerly drove mostly with only my left hand on the wheel. Combination of learning to fly before learning to drive and driving sticks. In airplanes, your left hand is on the yoke and your right hand on the throttle. The habit carried over to cars, plus the right hand needed to be near the stick so it was just natural (even when I switched to automatics).

However, I find that in this car I tend to drive with two hands on the wheel at 9 & 3 (occasionally 8 & 4, but never 10 & 2). I think it's due to the paddles.

BTW, if one hand is adequate to control an aircraft in three dimensions, it is certainly adequate to control a car in two (knowing that the right hand is never far away when needed). And if you've never landed an aircraft in gusting winds near it's demonstrated crosswind component, don't bother telling me otherwise.
I'll have to agree with your comment "I think it's due to the paddles". I'm finding for me that using the paddles when driving in city traffic and canyons I find shifting gears with the paddles makes the car more responsive and easier to control acceleration. Those little pads on the steering wheel are perfect to rest my thumbs. Never wrap my thumbs around the wheel.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2017, 08:54 PM   #44
3.0L
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
I drive 9 and 3 but almost never use the paddles... I'm still scratching my head why I drive with 2 hands on this car..
Half answer: Trigger finger. In my case, I had 3 trigger fingers in my left hand. Under certain conditions, I simply couldn't let go of the steering wheel. I'm not BS'ing you.

Got that problem fixed 2.5 years ago, but I still drive with 2 hands the vast majority of the time. Call it defensive driving.

Appreciate 0