THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Wheels and Tires -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack Newbie question - tire leak

04-24-2017, 08:02 PM   #1
N2S2
Rep
Drives: 1200RT

Newbie question - tire leak

I bought a used 228i a few months ago that is still under warranty. Unfortunately, one of my tires has a slow leak, losing about 5 psi a week, while the other three have been steady since I brought the car home. My question is, is this something that would be covered under the warranty, assuming no tire damage (I haven't seen any)? If not, would you trust a tire service company to try to remedy the issue, or take it to a BMW dealer?

This is my first experience with TPMS as well as "run flat" tires, so I'm not sure how specialized they are.

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2017, 11:21 AM   #2
Tpeterson
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 228i MSport/THP/MT/

Quote:
Originally Posted by N2S2 View Post
I bought a used 228i a few months ago that is still under warranty. Unfortunately, one of my tires has a slow leak, losing about 5 psi a week, while the other three have been steady since I brought the car home. My question is, is this something that would be covered under the warranty, assuming no tire damage (I haven't seen any)? If not, would you trust a tire service company to try to remedy the issue, or take it to a BMW dealer?

This is my first experience with TPMS as well as "run flat" tires, so I'm not sure how specialized they are.

Thanks!
Not a warranty issue if the wheel is damaged or if leak is from a puncture. If tire is bad,which doesn't seem likely,tire warranty is separate from vehicle warranty . I'm not sure that dealers handle it.Take it to Discount Tire. They do free puncture repairs.They obviously do more work with wheels and tires than dealers,so I would trust them.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2017, 01:54 PM   #3
crabu2
Captain
Rep
Drives: Truck and ...

If it were me, I'd 1st make sure the valve in the stem was tight, then look over the tire very carefully to see if there's a puncture. I had a tire leaking about 2 lbs a weeks and I couldn't figure it out.. When I pulled the tire off the car, I found ... get this.. a paper clip had somehow straightened itself out and into the tire. It was on the shoulder of the tire so I couldn't even patch. But the reason I missed it, while it was on the car was because it on on the inside of the tire and it was just a silver dot.

So I guess I'm saying.. check what you can at home.. and depending on what you find or not find, take it from there.
      04-27-2017, 09:26 PM   #4
N2S2
Rep
Drives: 1200RT

Thanks guys, I appreciate your insight.
Appreciate 0